K-Pop Thread: 2022 Archive

Ryan

Out of Giselle, Jisoo and Lia how would y’all rank them in dancing, since they have this rep of being some of the worst dancers in Kpop? 

Edited by Pluto2022

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel.

• Witnessed ET

• hallucinate

• Dialamba

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, VelvetCrush said:

I find it funny that in this thread the rapping skill is often forgotten or seem to be seen as less of a skill than singing. Like for example people who can sing and dance but have no rapping skill will be called aces or all rounders but not people who can rap and dance but with no vocal skills. I know a lot of groups don't have a legit rapper but some idols are very good at rapping.

IMO it’s very much down to Talent vs Skill.

Its a negative stereotype where someone thinks “anyone can become skilled at X with enough training” and people with natural talents are put on a pedestal.

A good singer is born with a talent, that they can finesse & improve, sure, but you’ll always have to be born with a good voice to be a great vocalist. 

A good rapper is skilled. They weren’t born with an ability to rap. They practiced and became better. No amount of practice will ever make you sing like Whitney Houston if you’re naturally tone deaf. That’s just something you’re born with.

Talented people are rarer and therefore more admired & appreciated. Which is honestly a bit of a shame because they amount of training and disciple to become a skilled rapper/dancer is very much overlooked in favour of someone who was born with a talent that they possibly haven’t  put any effort into. 

It’s the same reason natural beauties are more appreciated than people who had plastic surgery. 

10 minutes ago, MusicFan98 said:

You can carry a song without rapping, now, try to carry a song without decent vocals and you get...:eddie:

You totally can, if you look outside the pop genre bubble. ITZY is not a good example cuz they have one weak vocalist and no actual good rappers. A good rapper can make a good rap song what is this logic 

1 minute ago, VelvetCrush said:

You totally can, if you look outside the pop genre bubble. ITZY is not a good example cuz they have one weak vocalist and no actual good rappers. A good rapper can make a good rap song what is this logic 

This is kpop we are talking about, I know you can carry a song with just rapping, but probably not in this genre.

1 minute ago, Pluto2022 said:

Out of Giselle, Jisoo and Lia how would y’all rank them in dancing, since they have this rep of being some of the worst dancers in Kpop? 

Lia is the worst, then Gisselle = Jisoo 

Out of Giselle, Jisoo and Lia how would y’all rank them in dancing, since they have this rep for being some of the worst dancers in Kpop? 

Lia > Giselle > Jisoo

Liability gets dragged a lot but the fact that she can keep up with itzys crazy choreo, in a group where literally 4 girls could be main dancers is enough to put her at the top of the list :dies: 

jisoo>lia>giselle

2 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

Giselle isn't that bad though? Neither is Lia, she is just outdanced by the other 4 who are above average dancers, just like she can outsing them all. Giselle is a mid dancer, idk, Taeyeon/Jessica level not even Sunny level of bad, Yeri and Joy are probably weaker than her.

Just now, Pluto2022 said:

Out of Giselle, Jisoo and Lia how would y’all rank them in dancing, since they have this rep for being some of the worst dancers in Kpop? 

Lia has a health condition so she gets a bit of a pass, but even without that she is bad. Giselle only trained for 10 months, but she's not terrible (see Illusion dance practice), but there's definitely time/room for improvement.. 

Jisoo...she was a trainee for 5 years and now it's been another 6 years since her debut. At this point I think it's clear dancing is just not for her. 

1 minute ago, Aram said:

Lia is the worst, then Gisselle = Jisoo 

Maybe the reason why Lia is considered such a bad dancer might be because of the other 4 members being monsters when it comes to dancing. If she maybe debuted in aespa, she wouldn’t stick out as much like she does in ITZY. Like if Jisoo or Giselle were in her spot next to the 4 other HITZY girl, then they would’ve also stand out like crazy? 

5 minutes ago, BTS said:

Lia > Giselle > Jisoo

Liability gets dragged a lot but the fact that she can keep up with itzys crazy choreo, in a group where literally 4 girls could be main dancers is enough to put her at the top of the list :dies: 

This, I just wrote the same thing :clap3:

Edited by Pluto2022

1 minute ago, Zack said:

Lia has a health condition so she gets a bit of a pass, but even without that she is bad. Giselle only trained for 10 months, but she's not terrible (see Illusion dance practice), but there's definitely time/room for improvement.. 

Jisoo...she was a trainee for 5 years and now it's been another 6 years since her debut. At this point I think it's clear dancing is just not for her. 

Neither singing because she is getting worse. :katie:

Jisoo main asset is her charm. She is lovely and beautiful. I think going for acting is a good choice for her.

can’t believe they were rookies here :jonny5: people keep saying vocals are not needed to make a great song but idc i’ll always have respect for people who can SING

like being able to sing like this must be amazing, i wish i had the talent :monkey:

the tired narrative that jisoo can't dance :rip: 

meanwhile aespa are one of the worst dancers in kpop and giselle still can't keep up 

17 minutes ago, MusicFan98 said:

Jisoo wishes she could serve like this.

um :rip: worst song choice ever

Jisoo = Lia > Giselle

Lia just appears 'bad' because of how incredible the others are. But she is never off beat, Itzy have great synchronisation which makes all of them look really good. Similar with Jisoo, it's only when you look at her individually that you notice she's kind of awkward...but as a group she still keeps up and does her parts alright considering she's not a dancer, she does her visual and vocal roles well

Maybe Giselle will get better in the future, she just needs to work on her stage presence and coordinating more with the members. Also regardless of dance not being her forté she also isn't great at rapping :rip: which is why it's harder to look past dance too with her as you're left trying to find something she actually excels at

yeah jisoo is not bad, she is just an average dancer and can keep up with BP’s choreography. it just sucks that stylists keep giving her heels which makes everything harder for her :gaycat6:

7 minutes ago, BTS said:

IMO it’s very much down to Talent vs Skill.

Its a negative stereotype where someone thinks “anyone can become skilled at X with enough training” and people with natural talents are put on a pedestal.

A good singer is born with a talent, that they can finesse & improve, sure, but you’ll always have to be born with a good voice to be a great vocalist. 

A good rapper is skilled. They weren’t born with an ability to rap. They practiced and became better. No amount of practice will ever make you sing like Whitney Houston if you’re naturally tone deaf. That’s just something you’re born with.

Talented people are rarer and therefore more admired & appreciated. Which is honestly a bit of a shame because they amount of training and disciple to become a skilled rapper/dancer is very much overlooked in favour of someone who was born with a talent that they possibly haven’t  put any effort into. 

It’s the same reason natural beauties are more appreciated than people who had plastic surgery. 

I don't think that's the case because to be a great vocalist you also need to have skill and work your ass off training and taking care of your voice. You can also not be able to sing and take singing lessons to become better.

I think it's just that people tend to like singing over rapping so they listen to more vocal focused songs over rap, but that doesn't make it less of a skill. Like both CL and Taeyeon are super skilled, even though I would probably never listen to a CL album cuz it's not my style, but that doesn't mean she's less skilled.

11 minutes ago, MusicFan98 said:

This is kpop we are talking about, I know you can carry a song with just rapping, but probably not in this genre.

There are plenty of good kpop songs that are rap focused, and many kpop rappers release albums, mixtapes, etc. It's not really my style but what I don't understand is why people don't count it as a skill when talking about an idol or a group, especially considering how scarce they are in kpop. Like even if I don't consider the songs they release good it's still a skill wheater I like it or not.

8 minutes ago, hallucinate said:

can’t believe they were rookies here :jonny5: people keep saying vocals are not needed to make a great song but idc i’ll always have respect for people who can SING

like being able to sing like this must be amazing, i wish i had the talent :monkey:

Chen has a incredible vocal technique :clap3:

BP know how to work on stage, aespa don’t, bringing out the Jisoo argument I find her to be good enough even when she isn’t the other 3 being great offer a compromise, aespa has Ningning and maybe Karina when she remembers what a dance flow is.

1 minute ago, hallucinate said:

yeah jisoo is not bad, she is just an average dancer and can keep up with BP’s choreography. it just sucks that stylists keep giving her heels which makes everything harder for her :gaycat6:

I agree the heels really throw her off :gaycat6: and we've never seen aespa do a dance as hard as Boombayah or the ***** better have my money remix so we can't really judge the gap. Not shading aespa though, they just have a different set of skills than Blackpink.

Jisoo lowkey stole the show in this iconic dance practice. Like my eyes are glued to her due to her charm. The way she’s also able to keep up with the others as well :clap3: She’s not a horrible dancer at all, just an average idol dancer, but her stage presence like she has in this video is making up for it :clap3:

Edited by Pluto2022

WHEN THEY POSTED THIS! I remember it was 1am i was shakinggggggggg i need to feel this type of excitement again

TXT debuted in 2019. 

BTS 3 years into their careers were winning Daesangs and releasing smash hit after smash hit

Stray Kids debuted in 2018

BTS four years into their careers had a massive korean smash hits , roofhits, a soty daesang

The Boyz debuted in 2017

BTS at five years had already become the biggest kpop group of all time

Like I can’t get over how slow paced this generation is moving :gaycat6: Even BTS were considered to have a slow start. But 4th gen is another level. How has it been so stagnant?  Nothing is happening on the boys front. 

The Karina praise

4 minutes ago, BTS said:

Like I can’t get over how slow paced this generation is moving :gaycat6: Even BTS were considered to have a slow start. But 4th gen is another level. How has it been so stagnant?  Nothing is happening on the boys front. 

No boygroup is getting a hit anytime soon, so...