J-Pop Discussion Thread

Britneyfan09

3 hours ago, Subomie said:

I did make it my business to listen to Trick today, my first Kuu album. :heart:

It wasn't quite the Past<Future serve I was maybe hoping for, but 'twas cute yes. Taboo remains the all-timer. The Fergie collab??? Was she big in Japan?

t6Dkgsw.gif

The legend has it that Kumi was a big Fergie fan and had one of her songs as her ringtone. She kept saying how much she'd like to collaborate with her and one day got a message from Fergie with a song attached: "I made this one for Kumi-chan". Dreams come true when you're one of the biggest Japanese artists I guess.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• Joseline

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Suilen said:

The legend has it that Kumi was a big Fergie fan and had one of her songs as her ringtone. She kept saying how much she'd like to collaborate with her and one day got a message from Fergie with a song attached: "I made this one for Kumi-chan". Dreams come true when you're one of the biggest Japanese artists I guess.

t6Dkgsw.gif

Very kind of Fergie to fish out an old Dutchess era demo for her like that. Maximizing their joint slay etc.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Haha 1

What's the fan consensus on the best Kumi album?

t6Dkgsw.gif

16 minutes ago, Subomie said:

t6Dkgsw.gif

I think the general jpop community consensus is that it's between Kingdom, Trick and JAPONESQUE but the actual little Kumadas might have something different in mind.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, in general, Trick and Kingdom get the most praise from what I've seen (and by that I mean scores on rayeyourmusic.com lol).

I thought Trick was one of her better albums I listened to this month, but I actually liked Black Cherry best overall. And no shade, but no songs on Japonesque stood out to me ddddd but I'll definitely give it another chance one day. 

And at the risk of getting lashed/dragged, I wanna say that Kumi is kinda like Britney Spears for me in that I know she is capable of greatness due to some fantastic singles, but at the end of the day most of their output is just not my thing at all

:suburban:

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Curaga said:

no songs on Japonesque stood out to me ddddd but I'll definitely give it another chance one day. 

you cannot be serious

this grimy sex bop? she's literally CUMMING by the end

this rock banger? again the outro :jonny5:

and these pop bangers

and plenty more like-

I'm convinced you're a psy-op hired by @Suilen to antagonize me at this point

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AMIT said:

you cannot be serious

and these pop bangers

and plenty more like-

ddddd I'm sorry :dancehall3:

Definitely feeling So Nice and Escalate this time! Again, I definitely need to give it some more listens. I might have burned myself out trying to listen all these new albums so quickly.

My listening method is always whole album, start to finish, which is a lot with these Kuu and Ayu albums that are 70+ minutes (sometimes not even with bonus tracks). Maybe I should split 'em up in halves/take an intermission so I can soak them in better...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curaga said:

ddddd I'm sorry :dancehall3:

Definitely feeling So Nice and Escalate this time! Again, I definitely need to give it some more listens. I might have burned myself out trying to listen all these new albums so quickly.

My listening method is always whole album, start to finish, which is a lot with these Kuu and Ayu albums that are 70+ minutes (sometimes not even with bonus tracks). Maybe I should split 'em up in halves/take an intermission so I can soak them in better...

It definitely is a lot! I was lucky I actually really liked both Ayumi's and Kumi's discographies so much it eased the process, but even then it had its ups and downs and was very overwhelming at times. At first I didn't even like Ayu's early albums (I got into her with 'progress' and the 'love songs' album) which is low key embarrassing to admit, but whatever. Don't even get me started on the music videos... whew. I don't think you're approaching it in the wrong way or anything, but looking back now I think I should have probably taken my time with some songs and albums instead of trying to soak it all up at once.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMIT said:

It definitely is a lot! I was lucky I actually really liked both Ayumi's and Kumi's discographies so much it eased the process, but even then it had its ups and downs and was very overwhelming at times. At first I didn't even like Ayu's early albums (I got into her with 'progress' and the 'love songs' album) which is low key embarrassing to admit, but whatever. Don't even get me started on the music videos... whew. I don't think you're approaching it in the wrong way or anything, but looking back now I think I should have probably taken my time with some songs and albums instead of trying to soak it all up at once.

I see nothing embarrassing about that banger of a song and banger of an album

KDAL7TE.gif

14 minutes ago, Suilen said:

I see nothing embarrassing about that banger of a song and banger of an album

KDAL7TE.gif

the embarrassing part is me dragging her early albums (including Duty and LOVEpears) :deadbanana4:

17 minutes ago, AMIT said:

the embarrassing part is me dragging her early albums (including Duty and LOVEpears) :deadbanana4:

Well, I assume you were dragged back accordingly and called a psy-op by Newt or something

t6Dkgsw.gif

3 hours ago, AMIT said:

you cannot be serious

and these pop bangers

and plenty more like-

you forgot this legendary bop.... this one secured her spot as mother cun.tress to me. NO ONE does it better!!! :jonny5:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Subomie said:

t6Dkgsw.gif

this album & this era is PERFECT, and she beated everyone in the game :clap3:

spacer.png

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, D.D.D. said:

you forgot this legendary bop.... this one secured her spot as mother cun.tress to me. NO ONE does it better!!! :jonny5:

You're right, she was addicted to serving during that era. :jonny4: Justice for its tracklist placement, such a commanding and ego-stroking (in the best way) bop deserved a first half placement, she tried a bit with those ballads I fear. that is my only gripe with the album along with VIP otherwise I stan :clap3:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suilen said:

Well, I assume you were dragged back accordingly and called a psy-op by Newt or something

t6Dkgsw.gif

no I think I said it in a smaller group enviroment but I remember @Kyle-x being classy as usual and not dragging me like I deserved

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AMIT said:

no I think I said it in a smaller group enviroment but I remember @Kyle-x being classy as usual and not dragging me like I deserved

t6Dkgsw.gif

I just knew you would see the truth in due time 

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Thanks 1

Don't think I ever heard these songs by mama Ayama before but they're nice

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

I just knew you would see the truth in due time 

t6Dkgsw.gif

thanks for the faith, sis :heart2:

the restrain is admirable, my impulsive ass keeps lunging at the neck of a certain someone at the slight less than positive mention of my faves

Spoiler

:clack:

• Haha 1

@Curaga I promise he'll behave during the Sheena rate and won't murder you

DeMngUP.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Suilen said:

t6Dkgsw.gif

You should get into the remix of ever free, it's so ethereal and vibey. There's also another early b-side called Two of us on the Depend on you single that's more R&B vibes

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AMIT said:

thanks for the faith, sis :heart2:

the restrain is admirable, my impulsive ass keeps lunging at the neck of a certain someone at the slight less than positive mention of my faves

Reveal hidden contents

:clack:

JAPONESQUE slander is kind of crazy. We had to stan for Love Technique alone

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Suilen said:

t6Dkgsw.gif

you been missing out!

I think ever free is about her grandmother and she wrote it after her passing iirc. I think maybe that could be why it's been relegated to obscure b-side status when Ayumi has so few of those. It's such a dark and eerie song unlike any other of hers, I love it. Life is also great but I don't know about its context/meaning like that in comparison.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

You should get into the remix of ever free, it's so ethereal and vibey. There's also another early b-side called Two of us on the Depend on you single that's more R&B vibes

t6Dkgsw.gif

That's gorgeous. I think I'm going to explore Loveppears singles next because with all that talk about which version of Whatever or Love is superior I never managed to check them out properly, but thank god for streaming now.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Suilen said:

That's gorgeous. I think I'm going to explore Loveppears singles next because with all that talk about which version of Whatever or Love is superior I never managed to check them out properly, but thank god for streaming now.

t6Dkgsw.gif

Make sure to check the 1 billion remixes on ayu-mi-x II too or else you'll miss some classics if you have the 80 years it takes to listen to them all.

t6Dkgsw.gif

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.