J-Pop Discussion Thread

Britneyfan09

2 minutes ago, D.D.D. said:

I remember that long article exposed Max Matsuura and Avex mentioned hitomi is Avex vice president's girlfriend in the 90s lol

Welp, I guess that's the kind of the tea @Meloetta Carey was looking for.

:suburban:

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• Joseline

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's excited for Japan's new it GG to debut 

:gaycat4:

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:07 PM, AMIT said:

Get into LOVELAND sis (but delete RUN FREE before hitting play). :WAP: 

Your taste is pretty in line with how I feel about her albums in general. :chick2:

TOKYO STAR has some good tracks, but like you said overall it was definitely a step down from her previous albums. Ring gets her back on track and it's very consistent with some great highs. HEAVEN and LOVELAND are my faves followed by Femme Fatale. I like TRUE LOVERS but it's sandwiched between her 2 best albums and not as good as those (眠れぬ夜のせいで is one of her best songs, though). LIBERTY is low key one of my faves too but it is a bit too long for its own good sadly. Utopia is her worst album, I enjoy it even less than her latest two which aren't all that either. She has so many good songs though including b-sides, definitely worth checking out! 

Oh, thank you for reminding me about LOVELAND. LOVELAND is that girl, too!

We do have similar taste, because I agree with your assessment of TRUE LOVERS. It was alright but it didn't grab me like HEAVEN and LOVELAND when I first listened to it. Ring, HEAVEN and Femme Fatale still hold up and I'm sure LOVELAND will, too.  I'll definitely check out her b-sides since Miliyah tends to have good singles and album tracks (depending on the album) so I'm sure her b-sides are great.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:05 PM, Suilen said:

I do feel partially responsible for Nishino's retirement because once the news about Namie's retirement started rolling in, I was like oh hell no we're gonna be left with Nishino now, Kamisama (by Miliyah) please take her too. And he did.

gret84.gif

Utopia is definitely an unfortunate record that was probably hastily put together and built around the Moana song. I haven't revisited it since the release and have no desire to do it now. TOKYO STAR is also among her weakest records. I think she was on a great strike with Ring-HEAVEN-TRUE LOVERS-LOVELAND-Liberty, with HEAVEN, TRUE LOVERS and LOVELAND being my favorites. And then Femme Fatale was a return to form after Utopia. 

I'm actually planning to go over BENI's discography too, moving into her Universal era now, she's very underrated. 

Yes at Miliyah's strong albums being Ring, HEAVEN, LOVELAND and Femme Fatale. I haven't checked out her latest albums but it sounds like they aren't as great.

BENI is underrated for sure. She is one of the most improved singers that I have witnessed. Fans state that her best albums are her first three with Universal: Bitter & Sweet, Lovebox, and JEWEL where she worked primarily with D.I. RED is considered her worse where she went experimental but it fell flat. UNDRESS, FORTUNE, and CINEMATIC are a mixed bag.

I've also been enjoying JUJU as well. I've listened to her music every now and then when she started but I will be exploring her discography after Miliyah:

Her covers of Don't Wanna Cry and Aliens are some of my most favorite covers ever.

Edited by CityPop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, CityPop said:

Oh, thank you for reminding me about LOVELAND. LOVELAND is that girl, too!

We do have similar taste, because I agree with your assessment of TRUE LOVERS. It was alright but it didn't grab me like HEAVEN and LOVELAND when I first listened to it. Ring, HEAVEN and Femme Fatale still hold up and I'm sure LOVELAND will, too.  I'll definitely check out her b-sides since Miliyah tends to have good singles and album tracks (depending on the album) so I'm sure her b-sides are great.

Yes at Miliyah's strong albums being Ring, HEAVEN, LOVELAND and Femme Fatale. I haven't checked out her latest albums but it sounds like they aren't as great.

BENI is underrated for sure. She is one of the most improved singers that I have witnessed. Fans state that her best albums are her first three with Universal: Bitter & Sweet, Lovebox, and JEWEL where she worked primarily with D.I. RED is considered her worse where she went experimental but it fell flat. UNDRESS, FORTUNE, and CINEMATIC are a mixed bag.

I've also been enjoying JUJU as well. I've listened to her music every now and then when she started but I will be exploring her discography after Miliyah:

Her covers of Don't Wanna Cry and Aliens are some of my most favorite covers ever.

There was a period in this thread's history when JUJU was really appreciated (around WHAT YOU WANT's release), and her album YOU was featured in one of the rates. I admit I haven't really checked her out since then, and I think she's released only one non-cover since then, I. Her covers are nice, and I mostly like her picks, although I'd say that I prefer her original material.

• Like 1

The Sheena rate got a yes, which means that we'll thankfully have a proper thread for it and that I could probably start it at the end of the next week. There hasn't been any additions and removals from the songs list, but if anyone's got ideas, it's still amendable.

I'll probably give people 3 weeks to do it, and then we'll start the reveals in April. 

Also, when I said that Mai was the only jpop girl who had a Russian concert, that was true, although Sheena went to Russia too, which was for some documentary. What can I say, королева.

8hn6rMR.png

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1

BENI her B*TCH*S

16 hours ago, JO1s said:

Who's excited for Japan's new it GG to debut 

:gaycat4:

Uhhhhhm - we will be streaming! :jonny4:

New Ayumi song BYE-BYE announced (no, that's not a retirement statement), will be used in NHK's Minna no Uta, no information on its release yet

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Suilen said:

BENI her B*TCH*S

Unfortunately, I cannot see the video since it states that it is not available in my country.
BENI brings good live vocals. She is the opposite of other singers since she sounds better live than in the recording studio.

23 hours ago, Suilen said:

There was a period in this thread's history when JUJU was really appreciated (around WHAT YOU WANT's release), and her album YOU was featured in one of the rates. I admit I haven't really checked her out since then, and I think she's released only one non-cover since then, I. Her covers are nice, and I mostly like her picks, although I'd say that I prefer her original material.

I didn't know JUJU was in one of the rates. Glad to hear that JUJU was appreciated since she is talented and her voice is pleasant.
I is what drew me into her original material but I look forward to listening to her discography since I am mostly familiar with her covers.

I wish EMI MARIA released more albums. She is incredibly underrated.

On 2/28/2024 at 3:21 PM, Maresia said:

not quite the most appropriate time of the year to be listening to this song, but it is a classic (in my heart) nonetheless. mariya takeuchi, you will always be famous :clap3: 

Mariya has so many bops. Plastic Love is great but I also love Yume no Tsuzuki and Camouflage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CityPop said:

Unfortunately, I cannot see the video since it states that it is not available in my country.
BENI brings good live vocals. She is the opposite of other singers since she sounds better live than in the recording studio.

I didn't know JUJU was in one of the rates. Glad to hear that JUJU was appreciated since she is talented and her voice is pleasant.
I is what drew me into her original material but I look forward to listening to her discography since I am mostly familiar with her covers.

I wish EMI MARIA released more albums. She is incredibly underrated.

That song was BENI's crazy girl, I revisited FORTUNE that had some nice production moments, so I thought I'd share it.

I love EMI MARIA's music but she kinda fell off for me due to her support of Trump, though the lack of a new album since EUPHORIA played its role too. 

On 2/24/2024 at 9:35 PM, Suilen said:

Welcome NEW member who is totally not my second account because two people who listen to JASMINE in 2024 are two people too many.

-

avex really fumbled her (and jpop in general), wow. 

Rule Ihan was my songgg when it came out. Can't believe it's been almost 9 years since that came out :deadbanana2: 

I'm kind of obsessed with her tbh.

• Like 1

aww I haven't heard this song in forever whew a lovely tune

12 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Rule Ihan was my songgg when it came out. Can't believe it's been almost 9 years since that came out :deadbanana2: 

Really miss your esteemed presence in the thread and definitely hope you won't see that playlist I made for Mai Kuraki since we're the only people here who listened to her past secret of my heart.

Rule Ihan and Kyouhansha were those songs. But wow, avex is really making those girls film cooking videos these days instead of giving them music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

Really miss your esteemed presence in the thread and definitely hope you won't see that playlist I made for Mai Kuraki since we're the only people here who listened to her past secret of my heart.

Rule Ihan and Kyouhansha were those songs. But wow, avex is really making those girls film cooking videos these days instead of giving them music.

On the contrary, I'm happy to see it since we need more Kuraksters in the mix! I was just listening to some faves earlier

• Like 1

They need to get her remix album on streaming. Remix albums will always have my heart and the collapse of cash grab CDs flooding the market for easy sales to capitalize off of artists' popularity is one of the worst things about the market going to hell </3

• Like 1

Wait not the revival of this thread :lakitu: it's that time of the year where I go back to being obsessed with this classic (in both forms) :WAP:

Edited by Green Tea Is Green
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

On the contrary, I'm happy to see it since we need more Kuraksters in the mix! I was just listening to some faves earlier

Oh, I didn't even know the first one because judging by her recent singles that had B-sides I assumed that hers would make it to the albums anyway, but I guess I was wrong, and there's still some stuff I have to discover. And while I don't care about remixes in general, I feel like in Mai's case they can do wonders to her songs (like the Reach for the sky remix I mentioned before). That Brand New Day remix sounds wonderful too.

8 hours ago, Suilen said:

Oh, I didn't even know the first one because judging by her recent singles that had B-sides I assumed that hers would make it to the albums anyway, but I guess I was wrong, and there's still some stuff I have to discover. And while I don't care about remixes in general, I feel like in Mai's case they can do wonders to her songs (like the Reach for the sky remix I mentioned before). That Brand New Day remix sounds wonderful too.

A lot of the earlier ones are REALLY good and I recommend them :jonny: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

A lot of the earlier ones are REALLY good and I recommend them :jonny: 

Ooh this one is quite nice.

9 hours ago, Green Tea Is Green said:

Wait not the revival of this thread :lakitu: it's that time of the year where I go back to being obsessed with this classic (in both forms) :WAP:

Speaking of DAOKO, I haven't kept up with her since anima, and I see she hasn't released much since then except for a bunch of singles, and she also started a band, which was, according to some people, the best j-pop release of 2023? Her Sheena moment, and I guess I should check it out.

Aside from the AI video, this sounds good.

• Like 2

&ME on the debut!! :jonny5:

We won!

40 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Ooh this one is quite nice.

Speaking of DAOKO, I haven't kept up with her since anima, and I see she hasn't released much since then except for a bunch of singles, and she also started a band, which was, according to some people, the best j-pop release of 2023? Her Sheena moment, and I guess I should check it out.

Aside from the AI video, this sounds good.

Yess her band is so good but she kinda lost her touch with her singles post anima so you didn't miss out on much, she dipped her toes too much into her DJ era for my taste especially in the EPs:wan: but her latest song is very cute and bouncy

• Like 1

I love talent

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.