Yattsuke Shigoto -Rush Job- / やっつけ仕事
Mellow / メロウ 
Mayonaka wa Junketsu / 真夜中は純潔
Stem / 茎
Meisai / 迷彩
Ishiki / 意識
Ichijiku no Hana / 映日紅の花
Ringo no Uta / りんごのうた
Karisome Otome (Death Jazz Version) / カリソメ乙女 (DEATH JAZZ ver.)
Kono Yo no Kagiri / この世の限り
Slide / すべりだい
Shun -Season- / 旬
Ryuukou - Vogue / 流行
Ariamaru Tomi / ありあまる富
Carnation / カーネーション
Between Today and Tomorrow
J'ai trouvé l'amour / 熱愛発覚中
It Was You
Jiyuu e Michizure / 自由へ道連れ
Irohanihoheto / いろはにほへと
La Solitude de l'aube / 孤独のあかつき
Le moment / 青春の瞬き
Arikitarino Onna / ありきたりな女
NIPPON
A Life Supreme / 至上の人生
Saihate ga Mitai / 最果てが見たい
No verão, as noites / 長く短い祭
God, nor Buddha / 神様、仏様
The Creamy Season / おいしい季節
The Adult Code / おとなの掟
Gate of Living / 鶏と蛇と豚
Open Secret / 公然の秘密
The Sun & Moon in Tokyo / 浪漫と算盤 TYO ver.
toogood / いとをかし
W●RK
2◯45
Je Suis Libre / 私は猫の目

If anyone has any feedback / questions as to why this song is included and that song isn't, feel free to share / ask. At this point it's subject to change. There's much to do, and I'm not pitching the idea yet as they probably won't allow us to have two j-pop rates in a row, so take all this time to get familiar with the songs as getting into Shiina can be... bumpy (speaking from my personal experience).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• Joseline

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, I never knew Koda Kumi and Fergie did a song together! This video is so 2000s haha. Pretty sure I would have collapsed if I saw this back then. Weird that it’s technically Kumi’s song, but seems like it’s Fergie singing most of the time…

5 hours ago, Curaga said:

Whoa, I never knew Koda Kumi and Fergie did a song together! This video is so 2000s haha. Pretty sure I would have collapsed if I saw this back then. Weird that it’s technically Kumi’s song, but seems like it’s Fergie singing most of the time…

Well, that was iconic. I also suggest listening to the album it's from, TRICK, it's quite good.

Incidentally, she's announced her new album today, UNICORN:

kodakumi_jkt202404.jpg?imwidth=750&imdensity=1

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Well, that was iconic. I also suggest listening to the album it's from, TRICK, it's quite good.

THAT COVER OMG QUEEN

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

GIVE ME LIFE QUEEN

ok wait omg multiple covers and they're all slays :jonnycat:

Edited by Curaga
  • Like 1

This queen who may be familiar to some people through my old rates has made a comeback after almost 11 years:

If Angela Aki can do this, then anyone can (me @ Anna Tsuchiya who released the best song of her career and dipped).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suilen said:

This queen who may be familiar to some people through my old rates has made a comeback after almost 11 years:

If Angela Aki can do this, then anyone can (me @ Anna Tsuchiya who released the best song of her career and dipped).

Oh yeah, she sang the theme song for Final Fantasy 12! I have never checked out her other stuff though, so now I will :bird:

• Like 1

Hm, guess I'm finally listening to a full Koda album.

15 minutes ago, Subomie said:

nnnnn yeah, no shade because I think she’s a queen, but her music isn’t usually my fav. I’ve only listened to Grow Into One all the way through because it has Real Emotion on it. I tried listening to Heart on release back in 2022 and only made it through a handful of songs before I was like, yeah this is not for me lol

34 minutes ago, Subomie said:

You mean Unicorn? 

:deadbanana4:

Sis, get into Kingdom and JAPONESQUE. :gayorkcat3:Any album after JAPONESQUE is not really worth it, especially if you're just now getting into her. I love grow into one as well, but that one has a more dated R&B/dance sound which is not really representative of her career overall (again, I really love it, though :gaycat4:).

• Thanks 1

I'll give ha a shot. I was under the impression she was a bit of a Rih-esque singles girl tbh.

And while I'm here...

On 2/7/2024 at 1:23 PM, Suilen said:

Namie Amuro - Sweet 19 Blues

Ayumi Hamasaki - Duty

Mai Kuraki - Delicious Way

Ringo Shiina - Shouso Strip

Tomomi Kahara - Love Brace

MISIA - Mother Father Brother Sister

I've been checkin these albums out (mostly Shiina and Ayu) and I gotta ask, what do the little Hamasakis think of Duty? It's not really gripping me yet, not like Loveppears and even I am did.

I do like vogue, Surreal and the title track tho.

1 minute ago, Subomie said:

And while I'm here...

I've been checkin these albums out (mostly Shiina and Ayu) and I gotta ask, what do the little Hamasakis think of Duty? It's not really gripping me yet, not like Loveppears and even I am did.

omg Duty is my fav of hers, but I’ve only listened to LOVEppears, Duty, I Am…, Rainbow, Next Level, Rock’n’Roll Circus, and Remember You (which now that I list them out, that’s quite a few albums, but still not even half asdhpfoijasphgafd)

Audience is my fav track, but the ones you mentioned are my other favs. End of the World can be a bit grating, but I like that one too. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, and Memorial address, but that one is more like a mini album. That one has Ourselves, which was the first song of Ayu’s I ever heard and I was floored. Still my favorite song of hers :worship2:

• Like 2

I love Duty, though not quite as much as LOVEppears since that was a cultural reset. :jonny6:

I am is usually favored over it as well from my experience, but I think Duty is neck and neck with it for me. Songs like SURREAL, SEASONS and SCAR took their time to grow on me, though. I love the darker/rockier sound overall, I just can't really think of much of anything else I've heard that sounds like it. Like, can you think of other songs that sound like Far Away for example? It's so hypnotizing and grand sounding, and so heartwrenching at the same time.

SEASONS in particular is one of her best songs and top 3 ballads at least but I didn't see the vision at first. 

• Like 2

If I can pull myself away from Shoso Strip then I'll give Duty a few more spins, thanks queens. The album cover is cunty.

• Like 2

So I saw a Jpop boy group on tiktok that people praising their performance and the song. I really liked the song but forgot to save it, can someone help me find it? The group seemed to have 2 (might be more) foreign members. Like the one guy was black and other looking like half black and half asian and others were asian. Their stage fits were like streetwear/hiphop style also song had some rnb hiphop elements if I remember correctly :chick3:

8 minutes ago, Companion said:

So I saw a Jpop boy group on tiktok that people praising their performance and the song. I really liked the song but forgot to save it, can someone help me find it? The group seemed to have 2 (might be more) foreign members. Like the one guy was black and other looking like half black and half asian and others were asian. Their stage fits were like streetwear/hiphop style also song had some rnb hiphop elements if I remember correctly :chick3:

Was it the group from this thread? 

Edited by Curaga
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Curaga said:

Was it the group from this thread? 

OMG YESSS. Thank you so muchh :bird:

55 minutes ago, Subomie said:

And while I'm here...

I'm not really a little Hamasuki although I'm basically a fan of everyone except for a certain singer that appeals to people with daddy issues, but I think that Duty is one of her best. It was a gradual realization that took me years, though. I also enjoy albums like MY STORY and Guilty that not many people regard highly, so...

Also thank you for paying attention to that list. Since then I've tried to find some critic lists as sales aren't the best criterion, and there's this "top 30 Heisei albums" list published by a prestigious Japanese newspaper.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Absolutismmmm/j-pop-平成の名盤30/

Some interesting entries there but you won't catch me listening to an aiko album, no thank you.

:ryan3:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Does anybody here listen to Akina Nakamori!

I live city pop but she kinda blows all the city pop divas out of the water with her mid/late 80s run 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madonnas said:

I live city pop but she kinda blows all the city pop divas out of the water with her mid/late 80s run 

I just listened to Femme Fatale last month, first time listening to her, so I need to check out even more! Do you have a fav album/recommendation? 

4 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Well yes, love both her idol and more experimental stuff, and STOCK makes her the queen of rock.

4 hours ago, Curaga said:

I just listened to Femme Fatale last month, first time listening to her, so I need to check out even more! Do you have a fav album/recommendation? 

Honestly, Femme Fatale isn't the best place to start, even her English album Cross My Palms is more interesting. I'd suggest Fushigi, Possibility, the said English album, maybe Crimson (not my personal fave but people seem to like it). Best II has some of her best songs not featured on any albums. Fixer is her best recent album, it's how I personally got into her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.