Normani

URBAN

9 minutes ago, remming said:

I wouldn't call them hints :toofunny2:. I just noticed that her official store was launched with copyright for "WARNER-ELEKTRA-ATLANTIC" at the bottom of the page which is weird for someone to signed to a Sony label. None of the other artists on RCA have that on their official stores but artists signed to Atlantic like Kehlani do.

Speaking of Lucky Daye is also with RCA and his album is available to pre-order for a vinyl. Someone that barely charts but does make amazing music. :laugh:

Well that doesn't mean she will be leaving RCA though. But it also doesn't mean she will stay either. Some artists have deals with other labels to distribute. I think Rihanna was the same way at one point in her career where she would release music under Def Jam but I think L.A reid used to sell her stuff at Virgin Records. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• AFullMoonlight

• Flare

• nooniebao

2 minutes ago, justifymythreads said:

Well that doesn't mean she will be leaving RCA though. But it also doesn't mean she will stay either. Some artists have deals with other labels to distribute. I think Rihanna was the same way at one point in her career where she would release music under Def Jam but I think L.A reid used to sell her stuff at Virgin Records. 

Yup which is why I said it's not a hint. :laugh:

10 minutes ago, remming said:

I wouldn't call them hints :toofunny2:. I just noticed that her official store was launched with copyright for "WARNER-ELEKTRA-ATLANTIC" at the bottom of the page which is weird for someone to signed to a Sony label. None of the other artists on RCA have that on their official stores but artists signed to Atlantic like Kehlani do.

Interesting!

IIRC there are a lot of independent companies that do merch for labels, some of which are themselves part-owned by labels. So that may explain the Warner/Elektra thing. 

Beyond that, there's no way Mani would be able to release an album under a Sony label and be working the same project in any real way with a rival label over at Warner. 

To @Ethereal's point, this "era" is feeling like fulfilling a contractual obligation on all sides. Much as I'm bopping to the album and bracing for the visuals, there's a part of me ugh-ing at the fact it'll be the same imprint working the era. Looking at how things have gone, album #2 needs a fresh label team pushing it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Interesting!

IIRC there are a lot of independent companies that do merch for labels, some of which are themselves part-owned by labels. So that may explain the Warner/Elektra thing. 

Beyond that, there's no way Mani would be able to release an album under a Sony label and be working the same project in any real way with a rival label over at Warner. 

To @Ethereal's point, this "era" is feeling like fulfilling a contractual obligation on all sides. Much as I'm bopping to the album and bracing for the visuals, there's a part of me ugh-ing at the fact it'll be the same imprint working the era. Looking at how things have gone, album #2 needs a fresh label team pushing it.

what i'm really curious about is how much her deal changed when tunji left keep cool and she was dissolved into rca proper. 

a new label and album #2 released next year is exactly what she needs

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, justifymythreads said:

Exactly what I was saying. There's no reason she would be filming in africa and france if it wasn't for a mv. I even think we're going to get some bts footage as well as Kwasi mentioned a whole visual album. 

Are there pics? How do y'all keep track of where she's been? 

1 minute ago, AFullMoonlight said:

Are there pics? How do y'all keep track of where she's been? 

her, ashanti and lydia were in paris right before they were in nyc

as for africa, im also curious, had no clue she ever step foot there…what's tea @justifymythreads?

1 minute ago, scrltwtch said:

what i'm really curious about is how much her deal changed when tunji left keep cool and she was dissolved into rca proper. 

I think she needs to sell this album to the public and get the numbers up before they okay another one. Which is why she needs to be smart in which singles she picks. She already messed up releasing 1:59 as a single. All yours is okay but to me isn't eye catching enough. Little Secrets, Big Boy, and Tantrums to me are all more single worthy than CP at this point. Yes, CP is one of the only uptempo-ish song but Little Secrets to me is more interesting to listen to maybe because we've heard CP for atleast 2 years straight. Tantrums could work in the Fall as a send off. Big Boy or Still have been getting the most attention overall though. 

her, ashanti and lydia were in paris right before they were in nyc

as for africa, im also curious, had no clue she ever step foot there…what's tea @justifymythreads?

Her makeup artist was in Africa as someone pointed out in the thread. So maybe she was there for a different client but I'm pretty sure it was normani because didn't Joya or someone post her in a bikini or on a beach or something. 

1 minute ago, justifymythreads said:

I think she needs to sell this album to the public and get the numbers up before they okay another one. Which is why she needs to be smart in which singles she picks. She already messed up releasing 1:59 as a single. All yours is okay but to me isn't eye catching enough. Little Secrets, Big Boy, and Tantrums to me are all more single worthy than CP at this point. Yes, CP is one of the only uptempo-ish song but Little Secrets to me is more interesting to listen to maybe because we've heard CP for atleast 2 years straight. Tantrums could work in the Fall as a send off. Big Boy or Still have been getting the most attention overall though. 

I'm sorry. I don't think any of those would work as singles at all. They are great album tracks like 1:59.

All Yours, Still, Take My Time (I hate to say it), Lights On, and Insomnia have way more potential. Lights On and Insomnia could be pushed as fall/winter singles. 

• Like 7

Actually now that I think about it doesn't All yours have some lyrics with French? :biblio:

• Like 1

Same!

I'm so fascinated by the back end of the music business and specifically Normani's story.

Keep Cool dissolving would have presumably dissolved the terms of that deal as she absorbed into RCA directly. Were the new terms more advantageous or less or basically the same? What did Keep Cool's overall deal provide that possibly isn't part of her RCA direct deal?

What about Brandon/S10? She was so vocal about it NOT being a management issue and then...just like that it was done.

These are the questions I ruminate on and annoyingly know she'll most likely never address. Especially after tying a big part of the delay to her parents' health issues. 

• Like 4

Just now, AFullMoonlight said:

I'm sorry. I don't think any of those would work as singles at all. They are great album tracks like 1:59.

All Yours, Still, Take My Time (I hate to say it), Lights On, and Insomnia have way more potential. Lights On and Insomnia could be pushed as fall/winter singles. 

I said Still before that but I forgot to add it. However, let's be for real Lights On is maybe the only that I think deserves the single treatment. Big Boy is the highest currently on most played on AM and to me Tantrums reminds of the songs that have been getting numbers 1 this year. Haunting and minimalist music; pop radio would eat that **** up. All yours seems like it could work but I think it could get rather tired after a while. So yeah Little Secrets is a better option. 

4 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Same!

I'm so fascinated by the back end of the music business and specifically Normani's story.

Keep Cool dissolving would have presumably dissolved the terms of that deal as she absorbed into RCA directly. Were the new terms more advantageous or less or basically the same? What did Keep Cool's overall deal provide that possibly isn't part of her RCA direct deal?

What about Brandon/S10? She was so vocal about it NOT being a management issue and then...just like that it was done.

These are the questions I ruminate on and annoyingly know she'll most likely never address. Especially after tying a big part of the delay to her parents' health issues. 

she brought up changing teams and its effects (barely) for the first time during her billboard interview last week but girl i want you to SPEAK…i fear she never will tho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I really hope she's not doing a visual album. That would be so much money spent on something that is going to have little impact.

Now IF she had done this before and hit us with the Album + Visuals on Friday, it would have been different. But now?

I've seen first week predictions of ~15k floating around on twitter and while those numbers aren't unexpected, it still leads me to wonder what her label thought the album was going to sell without even the most basic attempts at promoting it, beyond some instagram and twitter posts...

Just now, justifymythreads said:

I said Still before that but I forgot to add it. However, let's be for real Lights On is maybe the only that I think deserves the single treatment. Big Boy is the highest currently on most played on AM and to me Tantrums reminds of the songs that have been getting numbers 1 this year. Haunting and minimalist music; pop radio would eat that **** up. All yours seems like it could work but I think it could get rather tired after a while. So yeah Little Secrets is a better option. 

I strongly disagree. Especially with Big Boy. All Yours is the no brainer option. I can't believe they didn't lead with that. Take My Time would work better as a Pop single than Little Secrets even though I prefer that track. All Yours could be played on multiple formats. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Same!

I'm thinking that it was initially what happened to Tinashe. Tinashe wanted to release more urban-pop/electronic music but was advised against it by RCA and was forced to promote her more pop-friendly singles. If yall didn't notice they didn't really believe in SZA's SOS just for it to massively successful. Hence, why she hated motivation but is what the GP know her for. Which may have been what RCA wanted her to release more of and why I think they wanted her to re-record more pop songs after she played her album then Butterfly Effect in full with the label execs. 

26 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Interesting!

Yeah it definitely could be maybe her management setting up her merch for her and just using the service but it still stood out as very odd to me because why didn't RCA have one set up for her like everyone else? Lucky daye was also signed to Keep Cool/RCA and his official store is the same exact way as everyone else on the label.

Anyways I was wondering why there are no interviews. Not even on a random podcast. There was the one billboard one but no ebro or zach sang or anyone. Such a low effort rollout :toofunny2:

i'm just fine with the tracks that made the album cause it's an amazing body of work (and we could've got black woman, THANKFULLY we did NOT)

but if i was the A&R this would've been my tracklist :coffee2: (no shade)

Spoiler

⁠1. Candy Paint

⁠2. DUI
⁠3. Big Boy
⁠4. Timewaster
5. ⁠Lights On
6. All Yours
⁠7. Insomnia
⁠8. Rocket
⁠9. Touch Myself
⁠10. 1 On 1
⁠11. Still
⁠12. Tantrums (ft. James Blake)
⁠13. Make It Hard

⁠14. Waiting For You
15. ⁠Wild Side (ft. Cardi B)

• Thumbs Down 3

I'll never understand why some of you go up for some of the leaks we didn't get. None of them were essential listening 😭🥴

Anyways, new interview in Vogue published today:

Going back and forth over five months with Kwasi about the album cover is true Normani fashion. :toofunny3:

Interesting that Big Boy was made during the pandemic. Further proof that RCA was meddling in her creative process. I wonder just how old all songs are. We know Insomnia dates back at least 21. Same with Tantrums. 

I hope there are appearances and performances lined up. Like why isnt she performing at the BET awards? Lydia is dropping the ball for me in that regard. The management is not being aggressive enough with the promo for a debut album.

Edited by lovely88
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lovely88 said:

I hope there are appearances and performances lined up. Like why isnt she performing at the BET awards? Lydia is dropping the ball for me in that regard. The management is not being aggressive enough with the promo for a debut album.

Is that her choice though? Her profile isn't what it was a couple of years ago and the BET Awards have never really embraced her, probably bc of her pop pedigree, lack of a discography, etc. I also think it's obvious that the lack of promo is either due to RCA or Mani herself.

7 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Is that her choice though? Her profile isn't what it was a couple of years ago and the BET Awards have never really embraced her, probably bc of her pop pedigree, lack of a discography, etc. I also think it's obvious that the lack of promo is either due to RCA or Mani herself.

Chloe performed in 2022 without an album out. Coco Jones performed last year as well. I dont think there is a real excuse for this so im puzzled.

Edited by lovely88

45 minutes ago, AFullMoonlight said:

Going back and forth over five months with Kwasi about the album cover is true Normani fashion. :toofunny3:

Interesting that Big Boy was made during the pandemic. Further proof that RCA was meddling in her creative process. I wonder just how old all songs are. We know Insomnia dates back at least 21. Same with Tantrums. 

A good chunk of the album seems to be from 2021. Cirkut who worked on the album was in the studio with her around that time too.

7 minutes ago, lovely88 said:

Chloe performed in 2022 without an album out. Coco Jones performed last year as well. I dont think there is a real excuse for this so im puzzled.

She'd need the $ for a performance too. And we don't really know if she's in the good graces of RCA to secure the budget for that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.