Mariah Carey

feelslikeadream

• ATRL Moderator

dp1PebG.jpg

Welcome to the base of the legendary, impeccable, unmatchable woman who:

— Sold over 225 million records, becoming one of the best-selling musical artists in history. 
— Has a voice unmatched, untouched, and incomparable to any other singer in music.
— Spawned more #1 hits than Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. 
— Became the top-selling female artist in Nielsen Soundscan history.
— Has had more dogs than albums. 
— Was able to get multiple Song of the Decades.
— Had consecutive 4 #1 hits on her debut album alone.
— Was able to break every radio record at 35. 
— Said "I don't know her" when asked about Jennifer Lopez.

qpLrfbA.jpg

— #1 on the Billboard 200 for eleven weeks; certified 9x platinum in the US.

— Spawned four #1 hits: Vision of Love (4 weeks), Love Takes Time (3 weeks), Someday (2 weeks), and I Don't Wanna Cry (2 weeks).
— Nominated at GRAMMYs for Album of the Year; "Vision of Love" nominated for Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (won).
— Helped Mariah earn the 1991 GRAMMY Award for Best New Artist.

bhJ51aN.jpg

— #4 peak on the Billboard 200; certified 4x platinum in the US.

— Spawned three hit singles: Emotions (#1, 3 weeks), Can't Let Go (#2), and Make It Happen (#5).
— Earned two GRAMMY nominations (Producer of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for the title track).

— While Mariah co-write every song on her debut album, she had even greater creative control of Emotions.
— Inspired username of ATRLer feelslikeadream.

2q50AdX.jpg

— One of Mariah's most successful eras; album is certified diamond in the US (10x platinum) and is the best-selling album in Mariah's discography. 

— While the album debuted at #2, it finally reached the summit of the Billboard 200 in its fifteenth week of release and spent 8 non-consecutive weeks in the top spot.

— Spawned several hit singles including the #1-peaking lead single Dreamlover (8 weeks) and Without You, which peaked at #3 in the US but is Mariah's biggest single across Europe, peaking at #1 in countries like Germany, Ireland, Sweden, and the UK (where it debuted at #1).

— While the album's final single, Anytime You Need A Friend, was MC's first US single to not reach the top 10, it is widely considered one of the best songs in her discography. The C&C Club Mix of the song is similarly regarded as a career highlight.
—  Two singles from the album were nominated for the GRAMMY for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Dreamlover (1994) and Hero (1995).
— The Music Box Tour was the first tour of Mariah's career; it stopped in only six US cities and included a live cover of "Just Be Good To Me" by The SOS Band.

TNBhbko.jpg

— Best-selling Christmas album of all time by a female

— Debuted at #30 on the Billboard 200, but eventually reached a #3 peak and has sold over 5 million copies in the US and over 15 million copies worldwide.

— All I Want For Christmas Is You was released as the album's lead single and went on to become a Christmas classic and one of the best-selling singles of all time (16 million sales). The song has been covered (sometimes tragically) by artists like Michael Bublé, Fifth Harmony, Shania Twain, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, John Mayer, and many others.

— In December 2019, the 25th anniversary of the song's release, All I Want For Christmas Is You finally reached the summit of the Hot 100 and remained there for three weeks, becoming Mariah's 19th #1 single and extending her record for most weeks at #1. It also earned Mariah her first #1 of the 2010s and the 2020s, making her the only artists to have #1 singles across four decades ('90s, '00s, '10s, '20s).

— Criminally underrated single Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) received a negative review from opera singer Patricia Carey.
— The album's lead single was adapted into a children's book in 2015 and a children's movie in 2017.

SYFewQw.jpg

— Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200; certified 10x platinum (diamond) in the US and is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

— Lead single Fantasy became the first single by a female artist to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song went on to spend eight weeks at the top.

— One Sweet Day was released as the album's second single; it also debuted at #1 and spent 16 weeks at #1, making it the second longest-running #1 single of all time.

— The single Always Be My Baby debuted at #2, but reached the Hot 100 summit for two weeks.
— The album was Mariah's first real critically acclaimed album. It famously earned and lost 6 nominations at the 1995 GRAMMY Awards (AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance [Fantasy], Best Female R&B Vocal Performance [Always Be My Baby], Record of the Year and Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals [One Sweet Day]. The experience made Mariah bitter about the GRAMMYs and she later said: "I won two Grammys the first year I started, but after that, [the Grammys] are like, 'We don’t go with the people that are selling a lot of records and are popular; we’re gonna go the opposite way.' So I got screwed out of certain years. I wasn’t bitter about it. I was just like, okay, well, I guess I’m not standing here barefoot onstage singing and trying to go a certain way. I’m just me.”
— Mariah iexperienced creative differences with her label and husband Tommy Mottola over the recording of the album, which moved Mariah in a more R&B/urban musical direction and marked her first collaboration with Jermaine Dupri.

— The short but successful world tour for the album broke a record by selling out three shows at Japan's Tokyo Dome in under three hours. This marked the beginning of Mariah's massive popularity in Japan.

2o3PAMT.jpg

— Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with 236k sold, and remained on the charts for 55 weeks. Sold over 10 million copies worldwide (~5 million in the US).

— Considered by many (and Mariah herself) to be her magnum opus. Contains many of her best lyrics, which were all written by Mariah herself (bar covers/features and a co-write with Missy on "Babydoll").

— As the first album released after her divorce from Tommy Mottola, it marked Mariah's newfound creative independence and pushed her more firmly into the R&B sound she preferred.

— Spawned two more #1 hits for Mariah: lead single "Honey" (3 weeks) and fifth single "My All" (1 week). "Honey" also debuted at #1, making it Mariah's third single to arrive at the summit.

— Earned three GRAMMY nominations at the 1998 show: Best Female R&B Vocal performance ("Honey"), Best R&B Song ("Honey"), and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("Butterfly").

— The sold-out Butterfly World Tour  which stopped in Japan, Taiwan, Australia, and Hawaii  received positive reviews from fans and critics alike, and is known as one of her best tours (and one reason for the more strained vocals on her subsequent albums).

zay23MF.jpg

— Released as the final studio album under Columbia Records
— Debuted at #2 (her only #2 album) with 323K sold. Sold nearly 3M copies in the US.

— Spawned her 14th and 15th #1 single: lead single "Heartbreaker" ft/ Jay-Z (2 weeks) and follow-up single "Thank God I Found You" ft/ Joe and 98 Degrees (1 week).

— "Heartbreaker" featured her most expensive music video to date and also birthed her darker alter ego, Bianca.

— "Thank God I Found You" earned a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals.

— Mariah faced a lot of conflict with her label surrounding the album after her divorce from Mottola, with most arguments involving the single choices. This is likely what led to the album's poor quality.

— The sold-out Rainbow Tour became a fan-favorite and stopped in Europe, Asia, Canada, and the US.

uXXCxpI.jpg

— Released on September 11, 2001. Debuted at #7 on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold over 2 million copies worldwide.

— Served as the soundtrack to cult classic film Glitter.

— Lead single "Loverboy" peaked at #2 and inspired many ATRL avis.

— The original version of "Loverboy" included a sample of the Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Firecracker," but Mariah was forced to change the song after a similar sample appeared in a song from a singer who used to be popular at the time.

— "Loverboy" promo included an iconic appearance on MTV's TRL, a memorable mic snatch from Cindi Berger, and a period of hospitalization.

— Turned out to be one of Mariah's most lucrative projects, as Virgin paid Mariah $28 million to end her contract early.

— Saw a sudden resurgence in 2018 following the #JusticeForGlitter movement on Twitter. The album re-peaked at #1 on the US iTunes Albums Chart and reached the top 10 in many other countries.

QbjCDoc.jpg

— Seen as a comeback of sorts following the underperformance of Glitter and its soundtrack, the album debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200.

— Lead single "Through the Rain" was her first lead single to peak outside the top 10; subsequent singles failed to chart at all, making it her first album to not have a single in the top 80 of the Billboard Hot 100.

— Similarly, the album was Mariah's first studio albums (other than the Glitter soundtrack) to not receive any GRAMMY nominations.

— At 69 shows, the Charmbracelet World Tour was Mariah's biggest tour to date.

— The album includes a cover of Def Leppard's "Bringin' on the Heartbreak," which includes one of Mariah's best recorded whistle notes.

RYXyPmz.jpg

— The era is widely regarded as the most successful comeback for a music artist.

— The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200. It went on to sell 10 million copies worldwide in its first year, making it the #1 best-selling album in the US and the second-best-selling album worldwide.

— According to executive producer L.A. Reid, the album was complete when he suddenly had the feeling it was missing "a big single." He forced Mariah to return to the studio with Jermaine Dupri. The pair went back to Atlanta and recorded the album's first three singles.

— Lead single "It's Like That" peaked inside the top 20 (#16), Mariah's first single to do so since "Loverboy." The track's performance and music video prepared for the slayage to come with the release of the album's next single.

— The album's second single "We Belong Together" went #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for fourteen weeks, making it one of the longest-running reigns of all-time. It went several times platinum and topped the charts in various territories, becoming one of Mariah's classic ballads.

— "We Belong Together" was named Song of the Decade by Billboard, making it Mariah's second song to win this distinction. ("One Sweet Day" was the song of the decade for the '90s.) It was also famously recorded for Kidz Bop 9 with uncredited vocals from Jennifer Lopez.

— "Shake It Off" was released as the album's third single and peaked at #2 on the Hot 100. It was blocked by "We Belong Together" for one week.

— This era marked Mariah's successful return to the GRAMMYs. The album earned eight nominations in 2006, including three of the biggest awards of the night, Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year. The album won Best Contemporary R&B Album and "We Belong Together" took home two GRAMMYs for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song.

— An "Ultra Platinum" re-release of the album spawned the #1 smash single "Don't Forget About Us," a more mature and sonically-pleasing sister of "We Belong Together." The song was nominated for two GRAMMYs in 2007 (Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song).

Rjk2A2p.jpg

— The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and sold 463,000 copies in its first week, the biggest first-week sales of Mariah's career. The album was certified platinum in the US, making it Mariah's last album to earn that certification.

— When lead single "Touch My Body" reached the summit of the Hot 100, it gave Mariah her 18th #1 single, which made her the solo artist with the most #1s in Billboard history (passing Elvis Presley). 

— "Touch My Body" is also remembered for its comedic music video, directed by Mariah's friend and fellow sexual harasser Brett Ratner. Lambs also remember a live performance of the single on Good Morning America in which Mariah sang her famous ad lib, "Stop singing my part now baby."

— The album's success and longevity were somewhat derailed by second single "Bye Bye" (peaked at #19 on the Hot 100) and Mariah's very sudden engagement to Nickelodeon tycoon Nick Cannon.

— Two singles were released after "Bye Bye"—uptempo bop "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time" and power ballad "I Stay In Love." Neither single saw much chart success.

— In a Billboard article from January 2008, the album was referred to as That Chick, apparently a reference to the song "I'm That Chick." The title was later changed, likely because of Mariah's personal fascination with gravitational time dilation. 

— A tour for the album was planned, but was canceled when Mariah learned she was pregnant. She miscarried shortly after canceling the tour and did not conceive again until 2 years later.

uvIAEwH.jpg

— Released September 29, 2010, the album debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 and sold 168,000 copies in its first week. It was certified gold by the end of the year.

— Lead single "Obsessed" became Mariah's 27th top 10 hit, peaking at #7. The music video predicted the future of the song's target, rapper Eminem.

— Unlike more recent Mariah albums, almost the entire set was produced by The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, making it one of Mariah's most cohesive albums in terms of sound and consistent in terms of quality.

— The album's second single, a cover of "I Want To Know What Love Is," only peaked at #60 in the US, but was a massive hit in Brazil, where it remained atop the airplay chart for a record 27 consecutive weeks.

— The album's last three singles—"H.A.T.E.U.," "Up Out My Face (ft. Nicki Minaj)," and "Angels Cry (ft. Ne-Yo)"—did not find much success on the charts, with UOMF peaking at #100 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the other two failing to chart. "H.A.T.E.U." is still considered by Lambs to be one of Mariah's finest ballads.

— The album was supported with the Angels Advocate Tour, which made 26 stops total (23 in North America) and grossed over $9 million.

— A remix album titled Angels Advocate was set for release in March 2010, but was canceled. The album was meant to also included recorded tracks that failed to make the Memoirs track list, including the song "Imperfect," recorded with Jermaine Dupri.

TSWh1aZ.jpg

— Mariah's second Christmas album, again comprised of covers of Christmas classics and original songs. It was released on November 2, 2010 and debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200. It was eventually certified gold.

— Lead single "Oh Santa!" went #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart and set a record for fastest climb to the top, reaching the summit in just its second week. Despite its lack of popularity compared to the lead single from Merry Christmas, fans with superior taste often acknowledge that "Oh Santa!" is the better song.

— The second official single was a duet version of the original song "When Christmas Comes" featuring John Legend. The single peaked at #15 on the Billboard Adult R&B Songs chart.

— The album marks the first time Mariah featured a family member on a track, as her mother Patricia Carey is featured on "O Come All Ye Faithful" / "Hallelujah Chorus."

— The track "Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem)" was released as a promotional single and the infamous music video featured a pregnant Mariah standing in front of a green screen, twirling, and repeatedly exiting the frame.

gueFxev.jpg

— Released on May 23, 2014, almost four years since her last studio album, the highly anticipated album was pushed back several times, and includes songs recorded between 2011-2014.

— Despite being regarded by fans and critics as a discography highlight for its vulnerable lyrics and sonic versatility, the album became the lowest-selling album of her career, debuting at #3 on the Billboard 200 and remaining on the charts for only eight weeks.

— The lead single "#Beautiful", a duet with R&B artist Miguel, was met with critical acclaim upon release and earned Carey first top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 since "Obsessed." It eventually peaked at #15 and went 2x platinum.

— The lead single was released during Mariah's stint as a judge on American Idol. She performed a medley on the program that included part of lead single, "#Beautiful." Unfortunately, the album wasn't released for over a full year after "#Beautiful," so the promo was wasted!

— The single "You're Mine (Eternal)" had a similar fate with the parent album; loved by fans and critics, it failed to find much mainstream success, peaking at #88 on the Billboard Hot 100. It did, however, reached the summit of the Dance Club Songs chart. A remix with Trey Songz was released for some reason.

— The album follows in the footsteps of MCIIY by featuring a member of Mariah's family as her twins Monroe and Moroccan are featured on the track "Supernatural," notable for its excellent key change in the final chorus.

— In tweets and interviews, Mariah has expressed disdain for the handling of the era, which turned out to be her only album released on the Def Jam label before moving to Epic.

i9lAjWp.jpg

— Following another four-year break since her last studio album, Caution was released on November 16, 2018 to critical acclaim. With a Metascore of 82, Caution is Mariah's most acclaimed album on the site (i.e. since 2001). It also appeared on many year-end lists.

— The album debuted at #5 in the US with sales similar to MIAM...TEC, but served greater longevity.

— The album was lead by promo single "GTFO," a sultry mid-tempo ballad, which went semi-viral. While the song discusses a romantic relationship, fans speculated that it was also aimed at Mariah's former manager, St**la.

— R&B ballad "With You" served as the album's lead single. It found success at US Adult Contemporary radio, peaking at #7. Despite charting at #3 on the Adult R&B Songs chart, it became Mariah's first lead single to not chart on the Hot 100.

— Second single "A No No" was released after much speculation of a superstar remix being in the works. No such remix was in the works. Instead, a remix with Shawni was released for some reason.

— At just 10 tracks, the album is Mariah's shortest full-length release since 1994's Merry Christmas.

W1avZTS.jpg

ay7bv3P.png  CxhFxSc.png  6GXFQTI.png zB65V4b.png

Mariah Carey Discography Rate

20 Years of the GOAT: The Definitive Butterfly Ranking

ATRL Lambily Awards

2018  2017  ♫  2016  ♫  2015  ♫  2014  ♫  2013  ♫  2012

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocket

• suburbannature

• Saddy

• killer_rose

Top Posters In This Topic

The trinity for first page reference:

-Daydream

-Butterfly

-The Emancipation of Mimi 

:coffee:

I Am Free is Mariah's best song.

Daydream is her best album.

K9lR7eq.gif

let the mess commence

The Definitive Mariah Carey Albums Ranking 

Tier 1:

1) Butterfly - Still her magnum opus. A timeless masterpiece that could be released today and still smash. I relate to Outside so much. - 11/10

2) The Emancipation of Mimi - The highs are incredible: WBT, FLAB, ILT, and SIO. :wanda:  - 10/10

3) Daydream - Her most streamed album after MC. The bridges on this album are some of her best (UTS, Fantasy, Melt Away). - 9.9/10

4) Caution - Arguably her best album in terms of production. Giving Me Life is ecstasy. The vocal production here was perfect and needs to be used for every album going forward. - 9.8/10

5) Mariah Carey - 9.5/10

6) Music Box - Underrated among lambs. Everything Fades Away, Dreamlover, Hero, AYNAF, and Do You Think of Me are all amazing. Even the unreleased track, All I Live For, is a bop. - 8.8/10

Tier 2: 

7) Glitter - If We, Didn't Mean to Turn You On, All My Life, and Want You are all bops and was a different sound for her. Last Night a DJ Saved My Life would have been one of the best tracks too if Busta didn't ruin it with his shouting. - 8.3/10

8) Emotions - 8/10

Tier 3: 

9) Rainbow - Petals is even more heartbreaking after reading the Memoir and learning what her sister did to her. :sosad:Replace CTTA with the Morales Revival Triumphant Mix, TGIFY with the remix, and delete X-Girlfriend (the WORST song in her discography), and you have a really solid album. - 7.5/10

10) E=MC2 - I love Touch My Body, For the Record, Migrate, CC, and Bye Bye. The beats for the rest of the tracks are boring. - 7.3/10

Tier 4: 

11) MIAMTEC - #B, Faded, Thirsty, and Dedicated are highlights. Unfortunately, the vocal production/Melodyne made her voice sound thin, when it's actually really resonant. Whose idea was that??? There is a video on YouTube that shows the difference for Thirsty without the vocal filter. Lot's of filler on this album, lbr. - 7/10

12) Charmbracelet - Has really beautiful songwriting. Nothing really stands out though. - 6.5/10

13) Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - Her worst album. Beats sounds plinky-plonky. Obsessed (one of her best bops ever) and HATEU are exceptions. - 6.3/10. 

tumblr_oxce754U7V1uzvudxo1_400.gifv

Edited by Blue Ace

Mariah and Brandy re-recorded The Roof.

#LeaveButterflyAlone

9894fd47e61937449853235f5e05df44.jpg

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

Christbible is better than any three turds of an album Rocketta has mentioned in here so far

9894fd47e61937449853235f5e05df44.jpg

Anklemonitor belongs in the trash.

The Excrements of Screami is overrated.

Rainbow is better than every 21st century album but MIAMTEC

xbl4Yg0.gif

The Roof is one of her most overrated songs 

xbl4Yg0.gif 

Just now, Nemo said:

Mariah’s best songs are Close My Eyes, If It’s Over & Giving Me Life

K9lR7eq.gif

I see one sneak.

K9lR7eq.gif

1 minute ago, Rocket said:

This is for my peoples who just lost somebody

u0LHKjq.gif

Bye Bye > We Belong Together

completely serious

xw7hZ8m.gif

Just now, James_Dean said:

Happy 17th Anniversary to this immaculate piece of work :gayriahcat2:

The way this sounded dated 17 years ago.

u0LHKjq.gif

Just now, Rocket said:

The way this sounded dated 17 years ago.

u0LHKjq.gif

Moo isn't giving us anything new, so we stay living in the past dahling

u0LHKjq.gif

Just now, James_Dean said:

Moo isn't giving us anything new, so we stay living in the past dahling

u0LHKjq.gif

She's giving us re-recordings of old songs that don't need to be touched, unfortunately.

And something Christmas related re: her live stream yesterday, that no one asked for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.