Cher

Saddy

uQk3iyb.png

On May 20, 1946, Cher was born in the peaceful village of El Centro, California, to mother Georgia Holt and father John Sarkisian, with little indication that she would have a remarkable life and career. Despite this, the girl whose birth name was "Cherilyn" believed she was destined for greatness. "I didn't know how or what I would do, but I just knew I wanted to be famous." She wouldn't have to sit around for long.

All I Really Want to Do (1965)

220px-Cher-all-i-really-want-to-do.JPGAll I Really Want to Do has received positive reviews from music critics, with Tim Sendra, of the Allmusic website, giving the album four stars. Sendra also noted that the album features Sonny Bono "using his Spector-derived production skills to create rich, chiming backgrounds for Cher to sing over", and described the record as "one of the stronger folk-pop records of the era." Sendra went on to note that "Cher isn't the most subtle singer, but she sounds young and full of life on these tracks, like she really believes in what she is singing (a feeling you don't always get on her more lightweight material).

The Sonny Side of Chér (1966)

220px-Cher-the-sonny-side-of-cher.JPGThe album received mixed reviews from music critics. Tim Sendra from AllMusic website wrote that even though the album uses "the folk-rock formula that had made her previous album such a delight" The Sonny Side of Cher is "nothing more than a chuckle-inducing curiosity, just the kind of silly record casual listeners might expect from the duo." He praised the cover songs "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan, "Elusive Butterfly" and "Come to Your Window" by Bob Lind but criticized the folk-rock sound in pop tunes like "It's Not Unusual," "Our Day Will Come," and "The Girl from Ipanema." He concluded that "the album is doomed by its lack of heart and inability to rise above the formulaic." A Billboard magazine review called the album "well produced", "well performed" and a "fast-moving item".

Chér (1966)

220px-Cher-66.jpgThe album again follows the same formula of the two previous albums, with rearranged covers and new songs written by Bono exclusively for her. There's more French influence in the record and more folk. The only hit in Europe generated from this album was her version of Burt Bacharach's "Alfie" from the Michael Caine movie. Although her version was on the film's soundtrack, it didn't fare nearly as well as the Dionne Warwick version—now considered definitive.

With Love, Chér (1967)

220px-With_love_original_cover.jpgThe album was a moderate commercial success and reached #47 on the Billboard Chart. Once again the formula of cover songs and a new song written by Bono exclusively for Cher is used. On these tracks her voice is smooth and strong, but the sales failed to match the success of previous albums. In this same year Cher recorded "Bambini Miei Cari (Sedetevi Attorno)", the Italian version of "You Better Sit Down Kids", and "Mama", the Italian version of "Mama (When My Dollies Have Babies)". Both were released as singles and "Mama" was later covered by French singer Dalida.

Backstage (1968)

220px-Cher-backstage.jpgThis album was her first commercial failure, failing to chart. The album is by-and-large a covers album. The album was not a success and was her first to produce no hit singles. "The Click Song" and "Take Me For A Little While" were released as singles, but they did not chart. Ten of the 12 tracks were also issued in 1970 as an LP on Sunset Records (Liberty Records' budget subsidiary) as This Is Cher (the songs "A House is Not a Home" and "Song Called Children" were not included).

3614 Jackson Highway (1969)

220px-3614-jackson-highway.jpg The ambitious record was conceived as a way to bring success to Cher, as well as her group Sonny & Cher, after a two-year period of commercial failure. The constant evolution of pop culture left the formulaic nature of Sonny & Cher's musical endeavors obsolete; pop music had continued to transform into a more political style marked by anti-war songs protesting the conflict in Vietnam. For months the duo maintained a nightclub act, but audience response was less than positive. Although the album was largely ignored by the public, critical reception was enthusiastic. Cher's maturing vocals, along with the sophisticated instrumentation and arrangements, garnered praise.

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves (1971)

220px-CheralternativChetr71.jpgGypsys, Tramps & Thieves received mostly positive reviews from music critics. Joe Viglione of AllMusic described the album's songs as "middle-of-the road pop", and called Chér a "good album with some great moments". He also wrote that "Cher never minded androgynous or neutral gender identity in her songs" and musically "her solo material could soar to heights not possible in a partnership — "The Way of Love" being one example". Rolling Stone said that "Cher does possess one of the distinctive voices in popular music today" and about the album, "Here she gets some lush orchestral frameworks within which to tell her story".

Foxy Lady (1972)

220px-Jjjio.jpgFoxy Lady received positive reviews from music critics. Joe Viglione of AllMusic said of the songs that "the other titles here display Cher's rich expression and the superb production work of Sonny Bono and Snuff Garrett.", and called Foxy Lady "an impressive collection of ten songs which holds up years later with more staying power than when it was first released." Rolling Stone praised the album saying that it "is dynamite work and will take her right up the charts once again" and described it as "a sure and speedy chart-topper for the "Foxy Lady"." Despite good sales of the first single, "Living in a House Divided", the album wasn't appreciated by the public, and unlike its predecessor, the record had limited success. The war between Garrett and Bono may have damaged the sales of the record.

Bittersweet White Light (1973)

220px-Cher-Bittersweet-White-362191.jpgBittersweet White Light received mixed reviews from music critics. Rolling Stone said about the album that it "consists entirely of ballad-rocked standards by Kern, Gershwin, etc., and should please the artist's TV fans. Bittersweet White Light was her first commercial failure of the 1970s. It charted only in the Billboard 200 at #140. The album, unlike the previous release, did not enter the Canadian album chart, or any European charts. Due to the album's lack of success, only one single was released, "Am I Blue". It missed the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at #111 in Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles.

Half-Breed (1973)

220px-Cherhalfbreedcherokee.jpgHalf-Breed received mixed reviews from music critics. Peter Fawthrop of AllMusic gave the album three-and-a-half stars and pointed out that the title track is "the only song here which would turn up on a greatest-hits collection", and that "there are plenty of other melodic, hippie-era tunes which are tailor-made for nights around the campfire." About the album style, it read "Melancholy and bittersweet from start to finish, there are enough charms to keep it lighthearted". Rolling Stone reviewer Paul Gambaccini gave a negative review for the album and to the production work of Snuff Garrett, but regarding Cher said that "Cher's amazingly powerful voice is not being used effectively, and it is frustrating to hear it squandered on rubbish."

Dark Lady (1974)

220px-Cher1970Stills-83.jpgDark Lady had received positive reviews from music critics. Decades later, Peter Fawthrop of Allmusic gave it three stars and compared this album with the previous Half-Breed saying that is "more upbeat". He also said that "she was more wholesome and organic in the early '70s," and about the covers in the album "is always fun to hear Cher's renditions of the classics." Rolling Stone gave a positive review of the album, stating "this could finally be the LP that will establish Cher as a major album artist" and "she has put together a recognizable voice with fine songs, a set that flows throughout, and superb production." About Cher, said that "she is a personality as well as a singer, so display in rock, pop and on stepdowns."

Stars (1975)

220px-Cherstars.jpgThe album received unfavorable reviews from music critics. The Los Angeles Times said Cher's performances were uninspired, like a batting machine that always puts the ball over home plate, but never strikes anyone out. AllMusic website gave the album two out of five stars. Billboard gave the album an unfavorable review and said that the album's major problems are Cher's voice that sounds "strained and/or overdone on most of the cuts" and "the mood doesn't seem to change a great deal from song to song". They elected "Stars," "Love Hurts," "These Days" and "Geronimo's Cadillac" as the album's best cuts and praised the "excellent musicianship".

I'd Rather Believe in You (1976)

220px-Cher_-_I'd_Rather_Believe_in_You.jpgBecause Stars was such an abysmal financial failure, Cher was put back with narrative pop songs on her next album. The album garnered no attention, and as such did not chart. Producer Michael Omartian attributed this to "a lack of promotion." The album has never been released on CD, and the only CD versions in circulation are bootlegs. According to Billboard, Cher owned this album's master rights and Warner had no right to reissue.

Cherished (1977)

220px-Cherished.jpgThe album sold very little, failed in the charts and was ignored by critics and fans. Also, Cher was dissatisfied with the final results of the album, and in an interview, she said that she never enjoyed making this album and only made it because of the contract deal with Warner Bros.

The style of the record recalls past hits "Dark Lady" and "Half Breed". Cherished is also Cher's first album without her name on the cover because the title of the album is a pun of the Cher name.

Take Me Home (1979)

220px-Chertakemehome.jpgTake Me Home was Cher's first album of 1979, and also her first released by Casablanca Records. This marked the beginning of her brief venture into disco music. Much to Cher's chagrin, she was pressured into recording an album of this genre. From the album came a major comeback hit, "Take Me Home". She contributed a lyrically self-penned song about her failed marriage to Gregg Allman on the closing ballad, "My Song (Too Far Gone)". This album is dedicated to "Butterfly". The success of the title track boosted sales of the album and the album is also known for its alluring cover photograph of a scantily-clad Cher in a gold, Bob Mackie designed Viking outfit which received a lot of attention at the time.

Prisoner (1979)

220px-Prisoner_(album).jpgPrisoner (initially planned to be released under the title Mirror Image) was Cher's second album of 1979, and was released nine months after Take Me Home. Prisoner also marked the first time that Cher released an album which featured songs that were written exclusively for her. Originally the album was planned to be titled Mirror Image, pointing out Cher's known brave side and her newly found 'wild disco' side. Since Cher wasn't really into the album (she wanted to "rock out") she kept on refusing songs on one hand and adding songs on the other hand. "Boys & Girls", a more rock-based song was added by Cher. Since there was nothing left from the album's original plan, the title was changed into Prisoner before release.

I Paralyze (1982)

220px-Cher_-_I_Paralyze.pngIt failed to chart and was largely ignored by critics. The album was released on CD for the first time in 1989 By "The Entertainment Company", Columbia Records and CBS Records International. Later, in 1999, the album was reissued on the Varèse Sarabande reissue label under license from Sony Music. The album contains various musical styles: the rock style of Black Rose on cuts such as "Walk With Me", "The Book of Love", and "Rudy"; a slight new wave sound in "I Paralyze"; some ballads such as "When the Love is Gone" and "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?"; and an "old 80's" style on "Back On the Street Again" (a retitled cover of The Babys' "Back on My Feet Again") and "Games", which was recorded by Lisa Hartman for her 1982 album Letterock and she performed it on the television series Knots Landing.

Cher (1987)

220px-Chercher.jpgFive years after the release of Cher's last album, I Paralyze, and her decision to focus on a film career, Cher signed with Geffen Records (which would later absorb one of her former labels, MCA Records) and was rushed to the studio to record what would become her comeback album. After a series of pop and disco records, Cher moved to a radio-friendly rock sound, which helped her get back onto the charts. 

Heart of Stone (1989)

220px-Cherhofs.jpgHeart of Stone reached number ten in the United States, number seven in the United Kingdom, and by topping the charts in Australia, Heart of Stone became Geffen's first international number one album. It was her first solo album in the United States (Sonny and Cher's debut album Look at Us reached number two and stayed there for eight weeks) to reach the top 10.  The album has sold more than 3 million copies in the United States, with 964,000 of those units sold since early 1991, according to Nielsen SoundScan, which began counting actual sales that same year.

Love Hurts (1991)

220px-Cher_-_Love_Hurts.png

Reviews of the record were mixed. On one hand, some critics proclaimed that "Love Hurts" was the most mature material Cher had tackled in years. Also, critics said "Love Hurts" was a step up from Heart Of Stone, and Cher. Billboard for example, said that "With a few exceptions, the overall musical direction is more straight-forward rock'n'roll this time, which is the perfect environment for her unique vocal style." Allmusic also said that "The result, however, is particularly formulaic, with Cher's vocals sounding largely uninspired and the production and backing musicians content to be obvious."

But on the hand, some critics slammed the album. One critic went as far as to claim that "The only song worth listening to is A World Without Heroes, on an otherwise uninspired album".

It's a Man's World (1995)

220px-Cheriamw.jpgUpon release, the album received generally favorable responses from international music critics. AllMusic's Jose F. Promis praised the album for its "torchy ballads, Western-themed epics, and R&B influences" and described it as "one of the singer's finest, as well as one of her most overlooked and underappreciated [works to date]". He also stated that the album's European mix is better. Jim Farber from Entertainment Weekly gave the album a C and while he appreciated "Walking In Memphis", stating that the song "must be heard to be believed" he wrote that the songs of the album "lack some of Cher's old camp". The Rolling Stone Album Guide rated It's a Man's World two and a half out of five stars.

Believe (1998)

220px-Believe_(Cher_album_-_cover_art).jpgUpon release, the album received mixed responses from international music critics. AllMusic's Michael Gallucci called Believe Cher's "latest playground move" and said that she "merely moves through the beat factory with one drab vocal range into one endless, and personality-free, thump session" and "determinedly, if not wholeheartedly, clinging to the tail end of it". In his review he gave the album two-and-a-half out of five stars. The major criticism was the strong use of Auto-Tune which changed Cher's voice. Beth Johnson of Entertainment Weekly gave it a B−rating, comparing it to Madonna's Ray of Light (1998). She said "One minute, this dance grab bag is mimicking Ray of Light; the next, paying homage to Donna Summer's disco days — then both at once!" However, she did say Believe is erratic (and sometimes cheesy) as hell, but you gotta love how her Cher-ness shines." 

Not Commercial (2000)

220px-Not_Com_Mercial_front.jpgNot Commercial received positive reviews from music critics. AllMusic's Jose F. Promis commented that the songs "prove effective, and the album is a must for the singer's legions of fans", despite being "tad muddled", and noting its "1970s singer/songwriter feel" and its "somewhat country and twangy, other times somewhat bluesy, but always completely different from her previous effort Believe" sound. David Browne from Entertainment Weekly magazine rated the album as B−, saying "whether telling us she's 'always pushed it to the limit', spewing the ***, or castigating our 'heartless, godless culture' in her Kurt Cobain tribute(!), she is, not surprisingly, neither Bono nor (Sonny) Bono", and called the song as "sullen, mid-tempo bunch, modestly hooky at best".

Living Proof (2001)

220px-Cher_-_Living_Proof.pngLiving Proof received generally mixed reviews from music critics. Michael Paoletta from Billboard was positive, stating that after a few listens, the record shows it is actually better than its predecessor Believe. In a similar review, Post-Tribune newspaper felt the album "should show just how essential Cher still is in the world of pop". Baby A. Gil, writer for The Philippine Star, praised the album as "another rousing dancefest", while noting that Cher's singing was "in full control and in better form than it was during her early days", calling it an "excellent example" that time can stand still.

Closer to the Truth (2013)

220px-Cher_-_Closer_to_the_Truth_(Official_Album_Cover).pngCloser to the Truth garnered generally positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has an average score of 61 based on six reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". At USA Today, Jerry Shriver told that the release was "huge fun, lyrically substantive (as these things go) and emotionally wide-ranging, and it appeals beyond her fan base." Jim Farber of New York Daily News wrote that "The material isn't quite so individual", yet noted that "At root, the new disc pleases by this sole measure: It's deeply, madly Cher.

Dancing Queen (2018)

220px-Cher_-_Dancing_Queen.pngAccording to Metacritic, which calculated a weighted average score of 79 out of 100 from 10 music critics, the album received "generally favorable reviews".[19] Gay Star News gave the album a positive review, saying: "If she'd approached this collection of ABBA re-recordings with the seriousness of, say, George Michael on the excellent Songs from the Last Century, she'd have been in big trouble. Instead, Dancing Queen is about fun, entertainment, dizzy abandonment. She knows how to please a crowd, while also acknowledging the desires of her die-hard fans."

Music Videos

Edited by Saddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saddy

• MichaelW

• Vixen Eyes

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart Of Stone / We All Sleep Alone / If I Could Turn Back Time

That's it. That's the trinity.

10 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Heart Of Stone / We All Sleep Alone / If I Could Turn Back Time

That's it. That's the trinity.

Facts sis :jonny5:

It's a Man's World is her best album 

One By One 

Walking in Memphis 

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore 

:WAP:

On 4/15/2022 at 4:35 AM, Saddy said:

Iconic album

Can we talk about the epicness of Emotional Fire.

Also, the way both her and Michael Bolton recorded You Wouldn't Know Love in 1989 for their albums released the same day.

1 hour ago, Rocket said:

Can we talk about the epicness of Emotional Fire.

This song should be studied in music schools :jonny5: and idk about you but when I listen to this song it gives me confidence :alexz2:

Don't mind me, I'm just bored:katie2:

Most streamed albums this year so far:
#1 Heart of Stone

#2 Chér

#3 Believe

#4 It's a Man's World

#5 With Love, Cher

#6 Backstage

#7 All I Really Want to Do

#8 Love Hurts

#9 The Sonny Side of Chér

#10 Cher

Most streamed song this year so far:

#1 Believe

#2 Strong Enough

#3 Sunny

#4 You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

#5 If I Could Turn Back Time

#6 Just Like Jesse James

#7 The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)

#8 After All (Love Theme From Chances Are)

#9 All Because of You

#10 All or Nothing

Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time - 

Released in 1989 , now has over 200 million views on Spotify 

3 hours ago, MichaelW said:

Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time - 

Released in 1989 , now has over 200 million views on Spotify 

I was just about to post this lol

RockStarShit101
On 4/17/2022 at 2:55 AM, Bloodflowers. said:

It's a Man's World is her best album 

One By One 

Walking in Memphis 

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore 

:WAP:

Oh yes!!! The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore >>>>

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Saddy said:

So Glad. Congratulations to Cher and Kaavan ?

and everyone involved 

So whatever happened to that second ABBA project?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.