Cold Heart (Elton John/Dua Lipa) goes Top 10 on The Hot 100

brainmaniac

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/adele-bruno-encanto-elton-john-dua-lipa-kodak-black-hot-100-1235017217/

Elton John and Dua Lipa’s “Cold Heart (Pnau Remix)” roars 20-7 on the Hot 100, reaching the top 10 for the first time (and surpassing its prior No. 11 high). It drew 52.1 million in airplay audience (up 6%) and 10 million streams (up 18%) and sold 13,300 (up 53%, aided by 69-cent sale-pricing in the iTunes Store) in the tracking week, as it jumps 5-1 for its first week atop Digital Song Sales (becoming John’s first leader and Lipa’s second, after “Levitating” for a week last May).

John achieves his 28th Hot 100 top 10 and first since “Candle in the Wind”/”Something About the Way You Look Tonight” marked his ninth No. 1 in October 1997 through January 1998. As he had last appeared in the top 10 on the chart dated Jan. 31, 1998, he ends a break of 23 years, 11 months and two weeks between top 10s. While lengthy, it’s not a record: two weeks ago, The Ronettes’ wrapped a 58-year, two-month gap when “Sleigh Ride” dashed to No. 10, becoming the group’s first top 10 since “Be My Baby” in 1963. The seven longest breaks between top 10s all ended via holiday songs, and all since 2018; among nonseasonal hits (as with “Cold Heart”), Dobie Gray ranks first with a wait of 30 years, two months and a week between his original version of “Drift Away” in 1973 and Uncle Kracker’s remake, featuring Gray, in 2003.

John also ties Mariah Carey (atop last week’s Hot 100 with “All I Want for Christmas Is You”) and Stevie Wonder (his recent duet partner) for the seventh-most Hot 100 top 10s in the chart’s history:

Most Hot 100 Top 10s
54, Drake
38, Madonna
34, The Beatles
31, Rihanna
30, Michael Jackson
30, Taylor Swift
28, Mariah Carey
28, Elton John
28, Stevie Wonder
27, Janet Jackson

Plus, John now boasts Hot 100 top 10s in four distinct decades: the 1970s, ’80s, ’90s and 2020s. He’s the 10th act to have placed in the top 10 in at least four separate decades; Michael Jackson is the only artist to have ranked in the bracket in as many as five decades, from the ’70s through the ’10s (and that’s not including his tenure in the Jackson 5, who first hit the top 10 in the ’60s).

Hot 100 Top 10s in Four or More Decades
’70s, ’80s, ’90s, ’00s, 10s: Michael Jackson
’90s, ’00s, ’10s, ’20s: Mariah Carey
’90s, ’00s, ’10s, ’20s: Jay-Z
’70s, ’80s, ’90s, ’20s: Elton John
’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’20s: Andy Williams
’80s, ’90s, ’00s, ’10s: Whitney Houston
’80s, ’90s, ’00s, ’10s: Madonna
’70s, ’80s, ’90s, ’00s: Aerosmith
’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s: Cher
’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s: Barbra Streisand

As for his span of Hot 100 top 10s, John expands it to 51 years, 11 months and three weeks, dating to his first week in the top 10 with “Your Song” (Jan. 23, 1971). The stretch is the longest among all acts not involving holiday songs, surpassing Jackson’s (42 weeks, six months and a week); a week ago, thanks to “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” Andy Williams’ record for the longest top 10 span overall was extended to 62 years and three months, dating to his first week in the top 10 with “Lonely Street,” on the chart dated Oct. 12, 1959.

Meanwhile, Lipa lands her fourth Hot 100 top 10, after “New Rules” (No. 6, February 2018); “Don’t Start Now” (No. 2, March 2020); and “Levitating” (No. 2, May 2021).

“Cold Heart” brings elements of four John songs to the Hot 100’s top 10, including one that previously ranked in the region: In the mash-up, John sings part of his No. 18 1990 hit “Sacrifice” and Lipa reprises his No. 6-peaking 1972 classic “Rocket Man” and his No. 25-reaching 1983 hit “Kiss the Bride,” while his 1976 track “Where’s the Shoorah?” serves as its coda. The new combination also credits trio Pnau’s co-writing and co-production

Edited by brainmaniac

What a perfect song for him to be smashing after 25 years :clap3:

13 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

As for his span of Hot 100 top 10s, John expands it to 51 years, 11 months and three weeks, dating to his first week in the top 10 with “Your Song” (Jan. 23, 1971). The stretch is the longest among all acts not involving holiday songs, surpassing Jackson’s (42 years, six months and a week)

LEGENDARY  :clap3:

Dua’s power! This would not be top 10 without her. Probably not even top 100. Happy for Elton & Dua! Another top 10 under the belt!

crazy.

it's a good song tho. Madonna should take notes on how to do remixes with younger generations 

Cold Heart Top 10 :clap3: global Hit!!!

Wondering if this could be another #2 single for Dua … I fear 

Incredible song :clap3: any chances of going #1?

14 minutes ago, Artur said:

Incredible song :clap3: any chances of going #1?

No chance. But if we talking about #2 then that is very possible. 

----

so proud of Dua and Elton! :WAP: 

Let's get this smasha to #2 :WAP:

1 hour ago, LanaXtinaFan said:

Dua’s power!

1 hour ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Elton's power :clap3:

46 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

The way it hasn't peaked yet :dies: Another potential #2 for Dua Lipa :jonny5:

billie-eilish-is-fucking-OVER.thumb.gif.

9 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

The 'Levitating' remix deserved this success. :grump: This song is trash. 

But it had this success :dies:

I love Dua but this song kinda sucks. The sample is good (obviously), but the chorus is the most bland thing ever. Rerelease We're Good or Cool queen!

22 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Maybe they're talking about the Madonna one :biblio:

Dua, her power :clap3: 

31 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

I'm talking about the original remix with Madonna and Missy. :ace:

Just now, jezebelvictoria said:

I'm talking about the original remix with Madonna and Missy. :ace:

Oh my :deadbanana2:I stay far away from the blessed Madonna remix

4 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Oh my :deadbanana2:I stay far away from the blessed Madonna remix

That song is a f*cking jam. People just have an issue with the person who remixed it. 

Edited by jezebelvictoria

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.