MfkLKNK.gif

twelve to eleven

From twelve to eleven, I keep a record

A who, a what, a where and a when

The first I saw, and the first I heard

A precious moment, a rare event

From twelve to eleven, I keep a score

A game of sorts without a prize

My bias, my favorites...but what's it for?

A catalog...one uniquely mine

Once again, on twelve I return

To where it began...

kvJR26L.gif

FkWtaP6.gif

MIB7EvH.gif

Western/English:

Spoiler

Neon Haze - Circus Minimus (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Dark, Sexy

December was the month I was really into JVZEL after going down a rabbit hole trying to figure out who sang this song from the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack. There were rumors that this was a Rihanna demo that CD Projekt Red bought up to fill their soundtrack, but that was obviously too good to be true. I eventually found it was singer-songwriter JVZEL responsible for this song, though to say her voice sounds a bit similar to Rihanna wouldn't exactly be wrong. This, to me, sounds like it could've been on Rated R (but maybe I'm delusional!) and I personally really like it.

JVZEL - Voyeur AF (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Deep, Sensual

JVZEL - Bro AF (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Chill

Boys World - Girlfriends (Spotify/YouTube)

Boys World made their first splash in the music world in 2020 to the acclaim of pop heads that missed the days of the English-speaking girl group with their song Girlfriends. With a diverse and talented cast of girls that could sing and dance, they also seemed to be a good fit for the K-Pop fans that were looking for the Western world to catch up with South Korea's plethora of girl groups. In some ways, it's shocking they haven't taken over the pop landscape yet, but perhaps their existence and lack of recognition is indicative of a current pop landscape simply not looking for a girl group, outside of a few niche fans.

Eastern/J/K/C-Pop

Spoiler

LAY - BOOM (R3hab remix) (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop/EDM / Atmosphere: Club

GXXD - LSD (feat. Junny) (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Electronic/R&B? / Atmosphere: Deep

Dmeanor - I'll Take You To Tomorrow (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: ...ballad? / Atmosphere: Acoustic, Orchestral, Bittersweet

This was originally for a K-Drama OST, and in many ways, it's not a particularly exceptional ballad. It's a stripped down guitar led ballad that allows the vocals plenty of room to breathe, joined by some orchestral elements in the chorus. you can basically hear the song in your head already if you're at all familiar with how K-Drama music sounds. Perhaps to some, it'd sound run of the mill drama filler song. It holds a weird place in my heart, however, where I get a happy nostalgic feeling every time I listen to it, despite not knowing much of what's being said.

the JVZEL songs are bops AF! Loving the Boys World song too, I really enjoyed the EP they released this year. 

R3Hab may or may not have done something with one china guy's song :mandown: 

wfDgdU5.gif

chosen path

When walking down your chosen path, it's important to keep looking ahead

Not so far that you're seeking an uncertain path

But enough so you know where you're going

When walking down your chosen path, it's impossible to go back again

But you can pause to appreciate the past

To help you as you keep on moving

When walking down your chosen path, keep this in mind:
Your memories are the closest you'll get to turning back time

--

After Party Highlight:
Doll by Xydo, Yunhway

nUMPUXZ.gif

(My Doll avi I had for a while)

Every year I make a year end, I like to revisit my favorite song of the previous year. What do I think of it? Has my opinion changed? Does it still have a place in my music-listening tendencies? I'll admit, perhaps shamefully, that most songs tend to not stay too long in my rotation. As an example, my 2019 SOTY only received a handful of plays in 2020. This song, however, has proven to be an exception. While I won't be revealing my listening statistics until the end, I will say that this is my 18th most played song this year, and that was after it had over 500 plays last year.

Outside of how much I listened to it, has my opinion of it changed at all? It has, and I think even more highly of it now. Recently, I decided to promote it to my favorite K-song of all time. (With only 3 other songs having ever been in consideration for this.) With it now having over 600 plays, I can still listen to it and get chills while simultaneously feeling warm and fuzzy every time I listen to it. I probably have the dumbest-looking smile on my face when this song comes on, and few songs can give me the same feeling I get listening to this song, especially after so many plays.

If I had to describe how this song sounded, I'd say it's a cute midtempo R&B song with a unique mix of piano and synths to give it a comfortable yet deep feeling.

I like to imagine sitting by a fireplace on an Autumn night while listening to this song~

To conclude this essay about one fucking song, I would just like to thank Xydo and Yunhway for creating a song I can always come back to when I just want to feel like I'm alright for a few minutes. Thanks for this masterpiece. <3

Oooh this is really interesting concept i love it :jonny5:

-

Western audience aren't ready for Boys World and it's their loss i fear

Also yes @ Xydo acclaim :clap3: I remember listened to Doll earlier this year from k-pop compilatin songs playlist and i loved it

Boys World "Girlfriends" is cute, but I feel like they need stronger material before they can really take off. They're kinda serving Fifth Harmony but with listenable music.

Curious to see what else is on the way :lakitu:

MfkLKNK.gif

it should be exciting

It should be exciting to have a fresh start

Yet I enter each year with a heavy heart

I've come to expect disappointment in myself

And I can't seem to agree with all the lies I tell

"You'll do better next time", "tomorrow's another day"

...why is it I only seem to get in my own way?

It should be exciting to have the world before you

But possibilities scare me, and that's the truth

kvJR26L.gif

mdYzLaB.gif

fFCyH2V.gif

Western/English:

Spoiler

JYYE, Mia Martina - Latin Moon (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Electronic / Atmosphere: Dark, Mysterious

So this isn't exactly a new song. Latin Moon, originally, was a song off of Mia Martina's 2011 debut album Devotion, which just so happens to be an album I love. Needless to say, I knew the song already. However, I like to check in on my favorite artists from time to time and see if they have anything new in their catalog. I checked once and noticed "Latin Moon" as her latest release on Spotify, which confused me since I knew that song for years at that point. What I found, however, was a remix that effectively replaced the original for me. I absolutely adore the darker approach this song takes; dark dance music is like crack to me! I'm also really fond of how Mia sounds on this version.

MAKJ, JYYE - Promises (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Electronic / Atmosphere: Dark, Deep

After I found the remix to Latin Moon, as described above, I decided to check out the one responsible for remixing the song and making it sound as stellar as it does. Turns out, a lot of JYYE's music is dark dance music, with this being my favorite discovery in his discography. It's a bit more intense than Latin Moon, but I'm also a whore for a good breakdown! This was an addiction for a while quite frankly.

Eastern/J/K/C-Pop

Spoiler

BXK - NOYB (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Being yelled at by twinks

Not to have spoilers, but I feel obligated to explain myself since I listened to this song a lot. So...how do I explain my listening to this song? There's a part in the chorus I really like...and well I guess I can admit I have a soft spot for BG nugus and I wish them happiness and success. I have like nothing to say about this song, though it's your standard BG affair and I can't say I'd recommend anyone who doesn't like BGs to listen to it.

Lee Eun Sang - Beautiful Scar (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: ....sexy? I guess?

Taeyoon - Kamo (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Indie / Atmosphere: Relaxing, Mystifying

AleXa - Never Let You Go (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Ballad / Atmosphere: Bittersweet, Nostalgic

I'll admit, as someone who was a casual fan of AleXa since her debut, I was nervous to see how a ballad would sound from her. I only ever knew her for girl crush style music, so it was a departure, for sure. However...she absolutely nailed this song. Her vocals are stunning, and the melody is beautiful. I even took the chance to look at the lyrics; the song is about the regret of letting someone go in the past due to being more young and naive and taking something for granted. The song overall is simply gorgeous. It's easily her best song to date and is now one of my favorite K-ballads of all time.

Dreamcatcher - Wind Blows (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop Rock / Atmosphere: Epic

Let me take the chance to say Odd Eye is also excellent, along with the whole Dystopia : Road to Eutopia mini, I just didn't include it here! This stood out to me instantly and I fell in love with the song on first listen. Not really much else to say, aside from the fact that Dreamcatcher are one of the best groups out right now and you should Get Into It (Yuh) if you haven't already. 

wfDgdU5.gif

I have you to thank

You take my hand and lead me down a familiar road

To a comfortable place that feels like home

For a moment, it seems like I'm not alone

I have you to thank, don't I?

I take in the sights, relish in the sound

Find joy in this respite I'd found

I was afraid, but I feel safer now

I have you to thank, don't I?

--

After Party Highlight:

Speed of Light by DJ Okawari (Spotify/YouTube)

As mentioned in my first After Party Highlight, each year I make a year end, I like to revisit my favorite song of the year prior and see if my feelings changed on it at all. I had two songs of the year last year, with this being my other one. What changed in 2021, most notably, was this being put on Spotify globally. (Or at least, it's available for streaming in the US.) I got the chance to listen to it more because of that, and I am still in love with this song. It's a song that gives me such a pure blissful feeling that I can't help but feel happy every time I listen to it. It's a very hopeful song that doesn't get old to me.

So, thank you DJ Okawari (and YouTube for showing me the Arknights ad this song was featured in), you continue to make me a bit happier even now. <3

16 hours ago, hofork said:

oh wow :jonny2: an iconic music moment, and yes its a really great warm song!!

Glad we agree! :shy: 

13 hours ago, Staryu said:

ooh very interesting graphics, love them

My creative director @hoforksnapped I fear.

12 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Doll is iconic yes

You're iconic! 

12 hours ago, Hikari said:

xydo king :praise:

Agree, royalty recognizes royalty exactly.

11 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Oooh this is really interesting concept i love it :jonny5:

-

Western audience aren't ready for Boys World and it's their loss i fear

Also yes @ Xydo acclaim :clap3: I remember listened to Doll earlier this year from k-pop compilatin songs playlist and i loved it

I was really excited for it after hofork gave me the idea <3

-

That is so true, like people claim they want girl groups then a great one debuts full of charm and talent and they're like...um no actually. It's so sad!

AHH more Doll acclaim. Xydo already not exactly huge and it seems to be underrated even within his discography and it makes me so confused. ? Glad to see some people appreciate it, at the least!

1 hour ago, Remmy said:

Boys World "Girlfriends" is cute, but I feel like they need stronger material before they can really take off. They're kinda serving Fifth Harmony but with listenable music.

Curious to see what else is on the way :lakitu:

I think they already have a handful of songs that could've smashed if a soloist sang them. Some girls have worse music that made bigger waves on the charts, really...

16 minutes ago, Rence said:

Perched for some jpop bops!

Yes the J-pop bops surely are coming. Eventually, I swear it.

--

Figured I should actually respond to you guys since you were kind enough to leave replies. Thank you all! ?

4 hours ago, Hug said:

I was really excited for it after hofork gave me the idea <3

-

That is so true, like people claim they want girl groups then a great one debuts full of charm and talent and they're like...um no actually. It's so sad!

AHH more Doll acclaim. Xydo already not exactly huge and it seems to be underrated even within his discography and it makes me so confused. ? Glad to see some people appreciate it, at the least!

Are they debuting on major label or independent? Honestly i'm ready for BW push in future and also releasing good music oop

OT: Yes @ Dreamcatcher acclaim and Odd Eye & Dystopia : Road to Eutopia are excellent and you should say it :clap3:

and also AleXa's Never Let You Go is really soothing too. Truly my winter smash :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.