Don't lead yourself to winter, the coldest season of all

--

Replies to the besties!

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Cravity domination oh wow!! And yess more WayV, Action Figure their best song

This isn't Meant to Be

PERIOD!!!! I endorse

Yup, best boy group stomping as they should! WayV best NCT unit also getting their due acclaim.

23 hours ago, ATRL Username said:

omg this absolutely made my day, this is so sweet :chick3: thank you so much, and yes your remix hit the slay button SO hard

OT: glad to see you are still stanning dancepop talent aka queen Cascada

Hope the Spotty check gets a bit bigger for the Christmas season yup!

Cascada did not carry music on their back to be disrespected in some of the replies in MY thread! Glad you are aware that they're legends worth respecting.

22 hours ago, luckystrike said:

yas at the CHUNG HA bother me slay 

tbElh61.gif

also love the Rita song and the Tove song. and SEDENTARIA slays, a gaymers classic album  :clap3:

Yeah, Chung Ha queen of appearing on my year-end two years in a row. What other pop girls are doing it?

SEDENTARIA Gaymers classic but needs to be world classic. We'll get it there I'm sure. :jimin:

20 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Sabotage was that relatable bop :worship:

Although it didn't appear in my year-end, true! Why DO I sabotage everything I love? Food for thought.

18 hours ago, Remmy said:

Pressure :sats: It really was overlooked and underappreciated! That beat just gets me boppin' :sats:

Still pretty new to K-Pop but I feel like I can't really get into the boy groups so far :rip: Good Time sounded decent at least.

Glad someone appreciates it! The beat really is fun ugh.

Did you actually listen to the BG songs I'm so sorry dfskjndsf my taste is not indicative of what most people like!!

17 hours ago, Hikari said:

I was gonna ask what is Cascada doing here :laugh: but you do you king!

Sacrifice was one of the few Bebe songs that I liked from her album this year. Yeah that Tove song was really ignored, i didnt even know it existed. Lemme listen tho!

Action Figure best song on WayV's mini! My Turn is a guilty pleasure and that's enough Cravity praise from me!

Everyone needs to stream @ATRL Username's masterpiece album!

Cascada's here because they're talent incarnate and inspired a generation. They earned their spot easily!

Sacrifice was one of two songs I liked from that album, and the other one seems mega panned and I didn't even like it enough to add it to my year-end so... ? hope you enjoyed Tove though, she snapped.

I personally prefer Good time but Action figure v close yeah. My turn is so messy but I do NOT feel guilty for bopping at all. ☺

17 hours ago, hofork said:

Bebe randomly coming through slfjsf. The beginning of this year had quite a few eurodance revival songs, I wish it was expanded on a bit more but at least we got a few bops!

I also wish we got more songs like that, now that you mention it...oh well, I guess. Better luck next year maybe.

16 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Cascada really was ahead of it's time. People love to drag their reharsh music but they never admit they lowkey bopping to their music. The power that they have :clap3:

I haven't get into Cravity's music but i have watched some of their performances and i kinda like. Mabye deep diving into their discography is one of priorities in the future :celestial5:

EXACTLY!!! I don't trust anyone that says they don't use Everytime We Touch or Evacuate The Dancefloor. I DON'T.

I'm surprised CRAVITY sounded interesting to you, to be honest. :skull: I think they're like mega panned but I love a train wreck.

6 hours ago, Lazuli said:

cascada :ahh: that's unexpected to see here

all the boy groups in the eastern section hmmm... *closes tab*

I have to throw a curveball once in a while to keep things fun.

...and if you get this notification, there are more BGs in this update, but there's a girl group song too!

thank you all for your continued support and making my effort feel worthwhile. <3

kvJR26L.gif

DuG6j3M.gif

BSgHLek.gif

Western/English

Spoiler

Boys World - Touched by an Angel (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: OST of a made-for-TV movie aimed at teens?

So, a lot of people were disappointed with While You Were Out, and I can see why, yet this was a standout to me and clicked instantly. The verses are SO catchy, and they sound amazing on the chorus. Really not understanding why it's getting paid dust. :!ohno:

Chase Atlantic - PARANOID (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Trap, Pop / Atmosphere: Dark

Chase Atlantic - OUT THE ROOF (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Trap, Rock / Atmosphere: Ow, the edge

Chase Atlantic - BEAUTY IN DEATH (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Dreamy

Chase Atlantic - SLIDE (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Trap, Pop / Atmosphere: Dreamy

While I knew of Chase Atlantic before 2021, I really got into Chase Atlantic this year. Their album from earlier on, BEAUTY IN DEATH, was quite solid to me as someone that's very picky about albums. The beginning is particularly strong, with 4 of the first 5 tracks getting special mention here. If I had to take a jab at what would be the most palatable to a stranger, I'd choose SLIDE, which is a midtempo trap pop song with ethereal sounding production, including a sax solo near the end that wraps this entire piece together up with a gorgeous bow. If you wanted to give one song on this album a chance, make it this!

Chase Atlantic - Into It (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Trap, Pop / Atmosphere: Chill

Chase Atlantic - Dancer in the Dark (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Synth Pop / Atmosphere: 80s-ish, surprisingly fresh in 2021

Chase Atlantic - Swim (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Trap, Pop / Atmosphere: Dark

Chase Atlantic - I NEVER EXISTED (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Synth Pop / Atmosphere: Dark

Chase Atlantic - Meddle About (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop, Rock / Atmosphere: About as sexy as the phrase "meddle about", in reference to sex, can be I suppose

Chase Atlantic - Friends (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop, Rock / Atmosphere: "It's not just a phase!"

I did a...near whole discography give of Chase Atlantic in April after enjoying Beauty in Death, going all the way back to their 5SOS-esque days, and it was interesting to see how much they've changed since then, and how truly eclectic their discography is. In that sense, Chase Atlantic are genre chameleons, able to adapt to many different styles, yet their able to make it their own. It made me appreciate their music even more.

Eastern/J/K/C-Pop

Spoiler

Yukika - Time Travel (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: City Pop / Atmosphere: Vibrant

OnlyOneOf - libidO (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Are they...you know...

libidO was a perfect storm that came at the right time for me. Watching the video for the first time was...an experience. The cinematography, the BL vibes, The GASP I let out at that part of the choreo (if you know, you know!)...not to have spoilers, but it was my MVOTY it was truly a highlight of my year as pathetic as it is to admit. it   also started my era of reading BL back up again so hey!

OnlyOneOf - instinct (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: It just slaps...

OnlyOneOf - byredO (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Sensual

OnlyOneOf - tear Of gOd (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: It just slaps... [2]

Kang Daniel - Digital (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Kinda spooky?

I'm commenting on this just to say the song peaks within the first 5 seconds.

WJSN - New Me (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Funky...?

Originally, I didn't care for Unnatural (and well i still don't) so there's a good chance this could've went right under my radar. However, a friend of mine was pondering why the gays don't use this song more, and I decided to see if I could maybe find an answer. I came out as confused as him! This hit me INSTANTLY. It's absolutely stellar. That BRIDGE? HELLO!! I was floored. It quickly became an obsession for me and definitely put WJSN on my radar and helped me not get them confused with GWSN, so serve a bit queens!

wfDgdU5.gif

Are you proud?

I have a question for you...are you proud?

Maybe you still think that's not allowed

Maybe not now, as all things take time

But I'll be looking for "yes" down the line

But you're doing well, make no mistake

Most don't take the steps that you've taken

It won't be easy, we know that to be true

But it'll be worth it, that much I promise you

--

After Party Highlight:

Love Tractor by Angrymonster, hmmyongyong

3b7163c7-e15c-497b-9e69-327bb589ba18.jpg

These highlights aren't even reserved for music! More to showcase anything that doesn't fit in the main list that makes me happy. I talked about how I started my BL era again in the libidO section, so this time, I want to talk about an ongoing manhwa "Love Tractor". It's a cute shounen-ai story about a city boy that goes to a farm and meets a farm boy and well...cute shit happens. It's well-written, incredibly sweet and features beautiful art. It quickly became my favorite BL without even being finished yet, and I see no signs of that changing. If any of you are interested in a cute gay love story and don't mind a little reading, I highly recommend "Love Tractor"!

If you're at the least bit curious, the first three chapters are free on Tappytoon, so give it a shot. x

Oh, and thank you Angrymonster and hmmyongyong for "Love Tractor" and for making my 2021 that much better! <3

the Chase Atlantic payola jghfhsd kpop talk icons!!!

onlyoneof smashing :clap3: loved the whole mini

the other 3 songs were great choices as well, Time Travel was my fave on Yukika's mini after Lovemonth :smitten:

I agree about Sacrifice being Bebe's best :fan: Good Time, Action Figure and My Turn are bg excellence :jonny5:

also the Lemur shoutout ahhhh love it :heart:

Here for Time Travel :jamming: The OnlyOneOf inclusions :eek: Another group more talented than BTS!

3 hours ago, luckystrike said:

don't know any of these but slay 

billie-is-fucking-OVER.thumb.gif.5feae33

:cm:

The Chase Atlantic promo as expected from their biggest stan in #kpop-talk! Lemme listen to some tho! 

Yukika and WJSN never fail to deliver :clap3:

yukika and wjsn, i'm prob the only one that don't care for them too much nn but they're cute! 

Touched By an Angel is cute! My 2nd favorite from the EP. Kiiii at the rest just being the same artist :oh: || You're not wrong about Digital peaking in the first 5 seconds :gaycat3: New Me does sound good! Let me jot ha down...

Did you actually listen to the BG songs I'm so sorry dfskjndsf my taste is not indicative of what most people like!!

asfdij don't be sorry :fan: Best Of is a great way to keep my K-Pop journey going so I'm just checking lots of people/groups out. But I don't listen to full songs because that'd take way too much time :keir:

19 hours ago, hofork said:

not the 50 chase Atlantic songs lksfghjf

yukika and wjsn talented icons!!

I thought about condensing Chase Atlantic to two entries, but I listed all of them on my list as important so I wanted #authenticity

Also, it's true and you should say it.

18 hours ago, luckystrike said:

don't know any of these but slay 

Me on most peoples' lists bc I stay in my own bubble.

17 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

the Chase Atlantic payola jghfhsd kpop talk icons!!!

onlyoneof smashing :clap3: loved the whole mini

the other 3 songs were great choices as well, Time Travel was my fave on Yukika's mini after Lovemonth :smitten:

I agree about Sacrifice being Bebe's best :fan: Good Time, Action Figure and My Turn are bg excellence :jonny5:

also the Lemur shoutout ahhhh love it :heart:

...and you'd do it too for a check!

OnlyOneOf really did something with that mini mhm

Time Travel...I almost wrote something about. I wanted to mention how it was one of the most instant Yukika songs for me when most Yukika songs to me are growers.

If only Bebe kept All Hands on Deck -- it'd be worse than Tinashe's, but it'd be Bebe's best!

Also quite enjoyed this convoluted way of shading Bad Habits. I giggled even if unintentionally!

16 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Here for Time Travel :jamming: The OnlyOneOf inclusions :eek: Another group more talented than BTS!

Wait, how controversial yet how brave.

Might agree?

15 hours ago, Staryu said:

Let me check out Chase Atlantic I guess :giraffe: 

Sorry in advance :giraffe: or sorry in general idk :giraffe:

12 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Time Travel and New Me yes mama

The Chase Atlantic discog kdhfjx yeah they had a few didn’t they…

The girls hit the slay button a tad.

Chase Atlantic said

5 hours ago, Hikari said:

The Chase Atlantic promo as expected from their biggest stan in #kpop-talk! Lemme listen to some tho! 

Yukika and WJSN never fail to deliver :clap3:

Wouldn't be a Hug Best Of without severe payola for an act truly nobody on ATRL cares about, I'm afraid!

Their inclusion on this list is proof yeah! Also I needed some feminism it was looking bad for me.

4 hours ago, Lazuli said:

yukika and wjsn, i'm prob the only one that don't care for them too much nn but they're cute! 

When am I going to smash on the Lazuli charts. :!ohno: I got an upgrade from the closed tab, at least!

MfkLKNK.gif

Things have changed

It's weird to say, but things have changed

I didn't think it'd be this way

But I look forward to who I could become

I'm surprised by how much I've already done

It's weird to say, but things have changed

It's weirder to hear other people say it

And maybe I can't trust them right away

...perhaps, this too, will come to change?

--

Meant to do this with the replies but these are for myself anyway so who cares, songs on next post. :party: 

kvJR26L.gif

JjJu8lW.gif

PCFbOTe.gif

Western/English

Spoiler

I have nothing here this month, have you tried the SEDENTARIA? I thought the SEDENTARIA was great.

Eastern/J/K/C-Pop

Spoiler

BALLISTIK BOYZ from EXILE TRIBE - Animal (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Musical Fuckboy

This was such a fun discovery for me this year. I was browsing last.fm looking at this tag that effectively boiled down to J-Pop that sounds like K-Pop, and this group was under the tag. I decided to give it a chance, as I'd been meaning to give J-Pop in general more of a chance, and I loved this instantly. If you noticed ther Musical fuckboy and was wondering what that was about, one thing that makes this markedly different from K-Pop is it's a lot more up front about what the message is. A lot of K-Pop idol groups unless they're specifically trying to garner controversy sales will dance around the subject with fancy metaphors and double language, but this song makes it very obvious. "Leave your clothes on the floor at the door", "Let's go beast mode, girl"...you win no points for guessing what that means. A song about a very primal form of lust set to a very cutesy pop production? I'M FUCKING SOLD. Very Hug-core I'm afraid.

JO1 - Born to Be Wild (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Upbeat, Dancey
This came at recommendation of a friend of mine and they changed my life. Thank you x. Anyway, this is more J-Pop that sounds like K-Pop, and if I had to describe the specific style of K-Pop this sounds like, it's quite easy, actually. It's very Mansae/Very Nice era SEVENTEEN. If you liked SVT music at that time, there's a good chance you'd find some enjoyment in this song, too. A truly excellent pop song from start to finish!

ONEUS - Happy Birthday (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Musical Fuckboy [2]

May was really the month of the musical fuckboy to me it seems. Anyway, if Animal is blunt in its intentions, Happy Birthday is thinly-veiled. They want the birthday coochie it's obvious! They're never gonna outright admit anything except "[They're] so thirsty, [they're] going crazy", but it's all we need to know! I was very happy to see ONEUS go down the fuckboy pipeline on this song. Very pleasing to me in my career. 

TO1 - Reborn (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Uplifting

Only writing this to say two things:
1. Not to be confused with JO1. They have no affiliation!
2. This is the shortest song on my year end, clocking in at 1:17. It's an album intro but I liked it more than the rest of the album. :skull:

YUQI - Bonnie & Clyde (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: 80s
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST CHORUSES OF THE YEAR ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING...I was visibly shook the first time I heard this chorus. Talk about an attention grabber. YUQI's vocals are powerful and striking and she really sells this song. It just wouldn't be as good if it wasn't her, I'm afraid. Anyway, this song is fully English, so I could've put this in the English section, but...nah, SEDENTARIA deserves the promo.

Heize - Why (Spotify/YouTube)
Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Heize's most upbeat banger

wfDgdU5.gif

Allow yourself a smile

Allow yourself a smile, let a laugh escape

We all need respite, give yourself a break

Make a joke or two, even if no one laughs

Embrace the feeling as long as it lasts

Enjoy another's company, even if it's silent

Acceptance is comfort in the quiet

Allow yourself a smile, let your worries fade

You've been working hard to feel okay

--

After Party highlight:
"Dark Heaven" by JUNS

E6pm6zmVkAIMwVO.jpg

Yeah I'm on my book club shit again. I was half tempted to include this in last month's After Party highlight, but ultimately decided they should have separate entries.

Onto "Dark Heaven" itself, though...it's dark. Shocker. It deals with heavy subject issues, and it can be hard to read. It's also quite sad. The amount of times this thing made me cry. :!ohno: That said, I absolutely adore this manhwa, and it's my favorite finished BL ever. (Jury is out as to if "Love Tractor" will claim that after it finishes.) It's been a few months since I read this, and I still think about it and get emotional thinking about some of my favorite moments from "Dark Heaven". It holds a special place in my heart as one of my favorite pieces of media in general.

Thank you JUNS for creating "Dark Heaven", for ruining my emotional stability for a good week AT LEAST, and for making my 2021 that much better. <3

...oh, and thank you to the person who recommended this to me. You have the BEST recommendations for BL like for real...

the "Musical Fuckboy" label had me nervous but Animal was actually my favorite from this set :oh: I like ha!

Sedentaria is in, chicken is out!

Exile Trible has like tons of units iirc so I don't really keep up with them.

I think JO1 is th only Jpop act that I actually listen to, Born To Be Wild is such a banger.

The TO1 entry being an interlude, I thought Son of A Beast was cute tho!

Yuqi giving a run the other CLC girls for their money (or whatever they have since they dont have that!)

Yukika, WJSN, Heize get their absolute acclaim :clap3: Women's right!

Kang Daniel output this year are cute, kinda sounds better than last year imo. Also i haven't listen to Yuqi's solo effort. Let me listen real quick

MfkLKNK.gif

fireflies

The fireflies ignite the summer season

This time of year's nostalgic for some reason

There's an innocence, there's something pure

Like a bright smile or genuine laughter

But you don't do the things you'd like to do

Deny it or not, it's but the truth

So don't let another season pass you by
Don't let your happiness fly with the fireflies

--

Responses to the besties!

Spoiler

On 12/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, Remmy said:

the "Musical Fuckboy" label had me nervous but Animal was actually my favorite from this set :oh: I like ha!

Honestly kinda shocked, I figured Bonnie & Clyde or even Born to be Wild would be the ones most would gravitate towards, assuming they listened to them all!

20 hours ago, Hikari said:

Sedentaria is in, chicken is out!

Exile Trible has like tons of units iirc so I don't really keep up with them.

I think JO1 is th only Jpop act that I actually listen to, Born To Be Wild is such a banger.

The TO1 entry being an interlude, I thought Son of A Beast was cute tho!

Yuqi giving a run the other CLC girls for their money (or whatever they have since they dont have that!)

There really are a lot of "Tribe" units, but I haven't listened to most of them, just tried like a couple :skull: Animal still my favorite of the songs I'd heard, though!

6 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Yukika, WJSN, Heize get their absolute acclaim :clap3: Women's right!

Kang Daniel output this year are cute, kinda sounds better than last year imo. Also i haven't listen to Yuqi's solo effort. Let me listen real quick

Yeah, I had to put some feminism in there to prove I'm not a misogynist. My list was looking fire for a minute. Queens though! :clap3: 

kvJR26L.gif

xo2UWv0.gif

ivrYR4x.gif

Western/English

Spoiler

Chase Atlantic - OHMAMI (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop, Trap / Atmosphere: There's multiple levels of cultural appropriation here

Chase Atlantic did NOT want to be done I guess. This was a random drop a couple months after their album released and I ended up quite liking this. Fun fact: There's a remix with Maggie Lindemann if you're tired of sausage (Spotify/YouTube), but I prefer the original so that's why that version isn't here. ?

Eastern/J/K/C-Pop

Spoiler

7SENSES - I Wanna Play (YouTube/Spotify)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Undercover slut bop

So this falls under one of my favorite categories of pop: innocent-sounding but obviously about something sexual. I was, of course, hooked on first listen. From the infectious production to the performance of each of the girls, it was mesmerizing instantly, and it inspired me to look into their discography a bit, which has quite a few bops though most didn't make my list. :( I should also mention that this song is wholly in English, but I just put it here because it obviously made no noise in any English-speaking countries and they're a subunit of C-Pop group SNH48 so... :michael: 

BDC - Moonlight (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: Euphoric, I'm afraid

To give a more accurate descriptions of the song, it seems to take some influence from 70s/80s but sounds more notably modern than many other throwback style tracks that more try to emulate the sound. While this whole song has this magical, sort of ethereal quality to it, the chorus is where this song truly shines. My jaw dropped the first time I heard it and I was thinking to myself "Are you fucking kidding????" (in the best way possible, since it's here!). This was something I knew was going to be spun to death the second I finished my first listen. Truly an obsession. I'd also recommend this to most GG fans who are willing to give BGs a try but hate that they all sound like they're screaming over robots having seizures.

Mirae - Swagger (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: fuckboy energy

NU'EST - Dress (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: OH MY GOSH

Anyone noticed I gave up on this atmosphere shit...idk how to describe sounds. ? Anyway, I just wanted to say that without Baekho, this song, as most of NU'EST's songs, would be a lot worse. Baekho carrying this group like fr. 

HIROOMI TOSAKA - Who Are You? (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: You just set yourself up for the lowest hanging fruit of a joke

Xydo - Flower (feat. Yoon Juae) (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Midtempo, romantic, cute

Xydo - Paradigm (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Stripped back, acoustic

Xydo - Can't Fall In Love (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Midtempo, bittersweet

Xydo - Stay (feat. Jade) (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre R&B / Atmosphere: Midtempo, cute

Xydo - Reborn (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere: Album closer climax

Okay I put the whole mini here, big deal. I was so excited to hear that Xydo was releasing a mini and he certainly didn't disappoint. While I can't say any of the songs reach the same level as Doll for me, songs like Flower still don't fail to make me feel things that so few songs can. I'm definitely going to just cry to that song one of these days and I won't be able to help it. After Xydo decided top BLESS my 2020, he made my 2021 a lot better too. King just doesn't stop giving, I swear. ?

Day.0, Rosie - My Universe (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: R&B / Atmosphere:  Vocals...?

Mirae - Killa (Spotify/YouTube)

Genre: Pop / Atmosphere: SuperM but better, I fear

Xydo slaying yet again :clap3:

Interesting read about this BL. I feel like Love Tractor is a bit more... my thing (if there were a BL I mean) because I like the softer aesthetics. I guess my two frame of references for BLs are skewed though :skull: either Fools or... K*lling Stalking

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.