TalkThatRihanna’s Best of 2021 | SOTY + Best & Worst Albums

TalkThatRihanna

TOP 10 BEGINS!

10. Olivia Rodrigo - deja vu

Her best song without a doubt. It aged like fine wine and deserved to have DL’s success. It’s the perfect mix between pop and alternative. I fear it was too ahead of its time

9. WILLOW f/ Travis Barker - transparent soul

Now THIS deserved to have Good 4 U’s success and I think it’s time we have that conversation. It sounds like a pop-rock song from the 2000s in the best way possible. The energy, the guitar, the long notes in the chorus, the bridge... TABS

8. Silk Sonic - Smokin Out The Window

This song is pure qualiTEA :jonny: The comedy in the verses is cute but it’s the chorus that still has me shook :WAP: It sounds like a classic on arrival. The melodies, the harmonies, the background vocals... By far the best song on the album 

7. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

Now this wasn’t one of my most played songs of the year, but since my list also factors in quality I had to include it. Billie switched it up in the best way possible. The Edit of this is trash tbh. It needed the first part of the song to appreciate the shock of the 2nd half

:nicole2:

6. Marshmello & Jonas Brothers - Leave Before You Love Me 

The best song in each of these artist’s discography :santa:The way it stole from Last Christmas and still sounds amazing :jonny: It’s the type of throwback pop I love, and the chorus is just pure gold  
Edited by TalkThatRihanna

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TalkThatRihanna

• Reverse Warholian

• TheWayWeWere

• Lazuli

Happier Than Ever is truly her best song ever :jonny5: can't get enough of it

Deja Vu :alexz: my favorite from SOUR

Willow :clap3: 

Damn second YECD in a row where I see deja vu in the Top 10. I kind of saw Olivia's success coming in many ATRL YECDs. Well-deserved. :clap:

I'm not even a JoBros stan but LBYLM... the best song in their discography??? :mandown: Hm. Wish I enjoyed Olivia and WILLOW's music more, but I easily prefer t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l  out of those 2. Ahhh Smokin Out the Window + Happier Than Ever :smitten::smitten::smitten: My faves from both albums!

I need to listen to M5’s 3 mixtapes. I only listened to the pop albums nn

Now hold up, M5's mixtape ers started w/ Red Pill Blues (2017) not at the beginning of their career! :gaycat3:

Perfect 5/5 set.

deja vu + t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l + Leave Before You Love Me + Smokin Out The Window + Happier Than Ever :party:

On 12/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, TalkThatRihanna said:

14. Halsey - honey

The BEST song on her album. We needed more pop-rock excellence on that album tbh:WAP: Halsey deserved to flop hard for releasing “I Am Not a Success, I’m a Flop” as the lead single over this :biblio2:

BREAKING: The taste is suddenly returning! 

g0zpX9s.gif

32 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

If YAFT makes the Top 5 :WAP:

g0zpX9s.gif

The lashings I’m about to get

g0zpX9s.gif

is transparent soul really that good? been seeing that appear on everything :celestial6:

deja vu and HTE being this high and being my fave songs from both girlies :jonny5: taste

transparent soul <3

deja vu is liv's best song you are right :clap3: 

happier than ever :jonnycat: no words maam

Spoiler
19 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Happier Than Ever is truly her best song ever :jonny5: can't get enough of it

Deja Vu :alexz: my favorite from SOUR

Willow :clap3: 

Loving your taste sis :clap:

18 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Damn second YECD in a row where I see deja vu in the Top 10. I kind of saw Olivia's success coming in many ATRL YECDs. Well-deserved. :clap:

I thought she’d be a one hit wonder nnn

16 hours ago, Remmy said:

I'm not even a JoBros stan but LBYLM... the best song in their discography??? :mandown: Hm. Wish I enjoyed Olivia and WILLOW's music more, but I easily prefer t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l  out of those 2. Ahhh Smokin Out the Window + Happier Than Ever :smitten::smitten::smitten: My faves from both albums!

Now hold up, M5's mixtape ers started w/ Red Pill Blues (2017) not at the beginning of their career! :gaycat3:

I need to give a listen to their first few projects, but my pop heart only started listening at Overexposed :gaycat1:

16 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

HTE her best song, totally agree, without the build-up the song is nothing

deja vu:clap3:

Spill sister :clap3:

14 hours ago, JGibson said:

Perfect 5/5 set.

deja vu + t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l + Leave Before You Love Me + Smokin Out The Window + Happier Than Ever :party:

Thanks sis :heart2:

12 hours ago, D/X said:

Liked deja vu, and you're right :skull: That Jonas Brothers song is a Last Christmas rip-off wtf. 

It’s so shameless, but I still love it

10 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

BREAKING: The taste is suddenly returning! 

g0zpX9s.gif

BREAKING: The taste has returned for the #1 song of 2021

6 hours ago, OreGuy said:

is transparent soul really that good? been seeing that appear on everything :celestial6:

deja vu and HTE being this high and being my fave songs from both girlies :jonny5: taste

Give it a listen! It’s an amazing pop-rock track

4 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

transparent soul <3

:heart2:

2 hours ago, Lazuli said:

deja vu is liv's best song you are right :clap3: 

happier than ever :jonnycat: no words maam

Tase sis :rockon:

FINAL ROUND! 

TOP 5 OF 2021

5. Justin Bieber f/ Giveon & Daniel Caesar - Peaches

Y’all can hate him all you want but this song is a BOP. On my first listenque I loved it. The chorus is so catchy and Giveon & Daniel gave the spice that the song needed :heart:

4. Lil Nas X - MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) [Satan’s Extended Version]

Yes, I’m talking about the amazing extended version :jonny: Even though it’s only like 30 seconds longer, it just adds what the original lacks. The original is a perfect example of a song being less good to appeal for streaming. This is the perfect pop song. Hook after hook after hook. The 1-2-3 punch of the pre-chorus, chorus, and post chorus :WAP:  .

3. Doja Cat - Need To Know

Ms. Cat snapped hard here. Her best solo song ever. The production is so crisp. Her singing, her rapping, her sultry moments... This was the obvious 2nd single choice :clap3:

2. Doja Cat f/ SZA - Kiss Me More

Another perfect pop song :jonny: I was obsessed with this on first listen, and still love it now. Aged like fine wine. The intro is gorgeous, the double chorus is incredibly catchy (and the sample :jonny:), SZA’s verse ATE as usual. And when she adds her little ad libs and flare in the final chorus :WAP: The “oh darlinggg...” One of my most played songs of the year. I love it and would play it again, and again, and again, and again.

AND THE #1 SONG OF  2021:

1. SZA - Good Days

By far my post played song of the year, and also the best song if we’re talking about quality.  It came out at the perfect time. The world needed this song when it was released in December 2020. The lyrics are beautiful, the unconventional verses, the pre-chorus, the chorus with Jacob’s background vocals, the bridge, the uncertainty in the outro :jonny:  SZA will never top this song, I fear. A timeless classique

Doja Cat slayage :jonny5: 

KMM is pop perfection :smitten: 

Good Days :jonny4: one of her bests truly

AHH YES! THE #1 could not be more correct you know that :jonny5: Love to see appreciation for Jacob too

Ok let's see :jonny5:

50. Rauw Alejandro - Todo De Ti

love to see this :clap3:

46. Latto - Big Energy

I discovered this two weeks ago :rip: but it's such a BOP, would've been a #1 with miss Doja on it

40. Anne Marie x KSI x Digital Farm Animals - Dont Play

Lovely UK bop. Left it out of my list but it actually was in my most listened top 50

39. Demi Lovato - The Art of Starting Over

heard this at the Mall today :toofunny3: a cute bop, maybe it deserved better

35. Maneskin - Beggin

Yes italian excellence :clap3:

27. BeBe Rexha - Sacrifice

Ended Chromatica :clap3:

25. Maroon 5 f/ Megan Thee Stallion - Beautiful Mistaked

Generic perfection yes :clap3:

22. Rita Ora x Imanbek f/ David Guetta & Gunna - Big

Rita didn't do it for me this year :'( she peaked in 2018 I fear

14. Halsey - honey

I kinda slept on this because it's good but I simply forgot about it, definitely the best on that boring album. Ngl she let me down this year

12. Kanye West - Hurricane

The best song on DONDA indeed and yes Abel deserved his credit :shakeno:

11. Ed Sheeran - Bad Habits

Cute bop indeed. I kinda hate how now that I like his music he became less successful :deadbanana2:

Amazing picks for the top 10 :jonny5:I like every song, you know already which are my faves!

It came out at the perfect time. The world needed this song when it was released in December 2020.

Exactly :chick3:

Anyway a great countdown but we're not surprised :clap3: see you in 2022 with Shirt as the #1 :santa:

44 minutes ago, Mark Rih said:

46. Latto - Big Energy

I discovered this two weeks ago :rip: but it's such a BOP, would've been a #1 with miss Doja on it

LOVE this song. In my top 40 for the year

Doja top 2 we love it but im glad for the Peaches nod. one of justin's strongest songs in recent years. 

also Deja vu above traitor and G4U? Thats quite the surprise it deserves tho Olivia did that this year.

Silk Sonic mention too we love it tho out of the singles Smoking out the window is behind skate and LTDO for me as of right now. All three are 8+ tho!

Choices were made :coffee2:

The way I only use like 3 songs from your list this year when our taste felt so aligned in 2020 :rip:

g0zpX9s.gif

The production in Need To Know. Just wow. :ohwow:

Doja with 2 songs in the top 3 :eek: both are great! 

deja vu, Peaches and HTE are also really good.

Good Days is such a pretty song! well deserved

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.