HDD: Adele 833k (biggest debut of the year), Taylor 165k

Starkboy

4 hours ago, Cleanromantic said:

These numbers are disappointing for her and her label, let's not lie to ourselves. There's a reason they held off releasing it during the pandemic, and that is to maximize sales. This is not the first time Adele and her label follow a strategy to sell, by her own admission, 25 was about motherhood before she scrapped it and wrote an album that followed the 21 formula because "no body would buy that". And 30 is promoted as an authentic album compared to 25. Her team definitely expected a 1.5 million debut at the very least, but the album is mediocre and lacks the melodies and lyricism that made 21 and 25 such gargantuan successes. Her taking so much time between projects has also hindered her streaming potential, but I guess one silver lining of this underperformance is that her label would be expecting her to take shorter hiatuses between albums in order for her to sell, so at the very least her fans won in that regard.

DRAG IT!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brando

• Headlock

• georgechxng

• wastedpotential

There are plenty of reasons why, mainly the collapse of physical sales and the fact that the album is not streaming friendly at all. That said, it’s for sure very underwhelming and anyone saying otherwise is on crack.

This album has like 5 songs that are over 6 minutes and y’all are saying commercially this is a flop. 
Y’all are something else.

1 minute ago, dweebz said:

This album has like 5 songs that are over 6 minutes and y’all are saying commercially this is a flop. 

+ comparing it to an album that has 30 tracks :dies:

3 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

+ comparing it to an album that has 30 tracks :dies:

Exactly!

What these people fail to realize is that of Adele wanted an album full of 2-3 minute Max Martin/Shellback songs even ****ing Ryan Tedder, she would and it could break all kinds of records.

Instead, she released an album with songs 5min+ that sound different from 25. As much as I don’t like that interlude the sampling is genius and the sound is very different.

They really need to chill.

59 minutes ago, Fetch said:

There are plenty of reasons why, mainly the collapse of physical sales and the fact that the album is not streaming friendly at all. That said, it’s for sure very underwhelming and anyone saying otherwise is on crack.

So if millions of people like an album that you don't like they're on crack :juanny:

edit: sorry, i see now you meant how it’s performing on the charts.

i failed at reading comprehension there.

not that i really agree tho, but that’s another story

Edited by blackbeatxx

43 minutes ago, blackbeatxx said:

So if millions of people like an album that you don't like they're on crack :juanny:

they mean the album's commercial performance i guess. Stop being so ****ing defensive about everything.

Btw can yall stop discussing Taylor Swift? Like I dont understand why she's brought up CONSTANTLY on this thread. She sells? Good for her but no one cares.

3 minutes ago, XXXO said:

they mean the album's commercial performance i guess. Stop being so ****ing defensive about everything.

Btw can yall stop discussing Taylor Swift? Like I dont understand why she's brought up CONSTANTLY on this thread. She sells? Good for her but no one cares.

Yeah re-read and saw it, thanks for pointing out

Idk why swifities are acting like there was no change in the music market and album sales. It's not like every studio album Taylor released since 1989 hasn't gone down in sales. If the album market is the same as when 25 was released like some of you are saying and the decrease of sales is based purely on Adele losing popularity than by the same logic Taylor has been losing popularity continusly since 2014.

Edited by brazil

14 minutes ago, brazil said:

Idk why swifities are acting like there was no change in the music market and album sales. It's not like every studio album Taylor released since 1989 hasn't gone down in sales. If the album market is the same as when 25 was released like some of you are saying and the decrease of sales is based purely on Adele losing popularity than by the same logic Taylor has been losing popularity continusly since 2014.

Almost everyone acknowledged that sales climate has changes dramatically especially the pure sales one. The issue is some delulu think Adele is immune or at least will slightly get affected and have no problem doing a million debut, but it seems even Adele is struggling to do it. It's funny because they attacked people who underestimated Adele before (having doubt of her doing one million debut) yet now the same group is backtracking. People can't be that blind to see how those delulu set her up and now it's backfire :dies:

Day 6:

1 Easy on me 7.559.544

5 Oh my god 4.312.861

15 Can i get it 2.636.365

20’I drink wine 2.399.771

24 my little love 2.249.279

39 strangers by nature 1.804.033

40 To be loved 1.786.669

42 Cry your heart out 1.765.669

49 Hold on 1.542.092

50 All night parking 1.533.387

53 Woman like me 1.482.919

70 I drink wine 1.341.169

total 30.4 million

1 hour ago, blackbeatxx said:

edit: sorry, i see now you meant how it’s performing on the charts.

i failed at reading comprehension there.

not that i really agree tho, but that’s another story

Moron. I like the album. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:32 AM, gloamingtheplain said:

I mean she’s doing these numbers without bundles, and under the new rules. 

Taylor hit 846k and benefited from bundles, and without them debited with like 350k. 

She’s obviously improved with Red, but it’s hard to say how much nostalgia is actually benefitting Red and whether new music would perform the same. 

evermore is a surprise release with no physical copies available first week, it debuted with about 300K all came from digital download and streaming. But last week Red (Taylor’s Version) debuts with 605K SPS, and it’s a decade old re-release album. The comparison is unfair.
As for SEA, 30 is worse than expectations. And 30 does not suffer from the new rules about shipping rules (only the physical copies are sent to the customer, the sales take into account) because it is reported that 30 has 1.2M-1.7M physical copies available first week in US according to Billboard.

But I think 833K is still impressive enough in 2021, it’s still a HUGE number, so don’t drag anyone any more. 

1 hour ago, blackbeatxx said:

Day 6:

1 Easy on me 7.559.544

5 Oh my god 4.312.861

15 Can i get it 2.636.365

20’I drink wine 2.399.771

24 my little love 2.249.279

39 strangers by nature 1.804.033

40 To be loved 1.786.669

42 Cry your heart out 1.765.669

49 Hold on 1.542.092

50 All night parking 1.533.387

53 Woman like me 1.482.919

70 I drink wine 1.341.169

total 30.4 million

Good numbers. I drink wine has two versions? :huh:

Just now, Jude said:

Good numbers. I drink wine has two versions? :huh:

Oop love is a game ofc.

Just now, blackbeatxx said:

Oop love is a game ofc.

Oh

6 hours ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

- Adele has a sale decline because the physical market - her biggest selling market - has collapsed since 2015. Who still has a ****ing CD player. The increase in vinyl demand won't make up for it. At the same time, she is still the #1 seller in this space - that we cannot deny. 

Are you sure?

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2021/09/physical-music-sales-actually-went-up-in-2021.html

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/cd-single-sales-surge-in-the-uk-as-ed-sheeran-abba-coldplay-and-more-return-to-the-format__34089/

8 hours ago, georgechxng said:

Swifties clinging on their insecurity just like Folklore's 800k clinged onto its bundles
:bibliahh:

I'd like to see you providing proof of how many copies of folklore were attached to a bundle because let me be really honest with you, atrls love to use this argument to drag folklore without showing any objective & measurable evidence.

Edited by YellowRibbon

44 minutes ago, Vorfreude said:

That's 2021 vs 2020 YoY right? One uptick does not mean the trend. 25 was released in 2015 when streaming has just started to take over the market. 

23 minutes ago, YellowRibbon said:

I'd like to see you to providing proof of how many copies of folklore were attached to a bundle because let me be really honest with you, atrls love to use this argument to drag folklore without showing any objective & measurable evidence.

OTHs never used evidence they just claim :ahh: 

6 minutes ago, MardinBeksloy said:

OTHs never used evidence they just claim :ahh: 

It's actually so funny to watch. Their entire mindset when it comes to Taylor is based in pure speculation.

Taylor's and Adele's careers are incomparable, I don't understand why they're even brought up in the same paragraphs. :gaycat6:

4 hours ago, dweebz said:

Reality is EoM is sitting pretty at #1. Will be the first to be #1 in downloads, streaming, and radio since 2017. She's being consumed on ALL formats. 

Mentioning 2017, that's the last time Taylor had a #1 hit that lasted more than 1 week at the top outside of its debut. Fun fact, Easy on Me will outstream Cardigan and Willow on Spotify by the end of November. It took a not even 2 months for it to outstream :deadbanana4:

And this "Rerecording" excuse is so BS and they all know it. Taylor has presented herself as the victim all over TV and social media asking people to buy her TVs to get back at SB for selling her music. She's literally telling people/her fans, buying these new versions is a big deal and is empowering.

Swifities need to stop acting like Taylor dropped a re-recording album for fun, and that it's selling this amount without incentive. She included like 15 new songs, has multiple versions and promoted on TV (including a performance on SNL). She also promoted the **** out of it on Tik Tok knowing they'd eat up the drama with Jake Gyllenhaal ala Olivia/Joshua/Sabrina.

The nostalgia + controversy (Jake + Rerecording) work in Taylor's favor for. Not against her.

I honestly can't wait for her next release. If it opens with 600-800k with her plethora of versions then I can't wait to bump all these Swifties. Because it will SURELY be embarrassing if Taylor can't significantly outsell her own re-recording with her next studio album.

Edited by Gaia

OTH's really don't seem to be able to focus on the present. They told us to wait until Adele releases her album for years and now we have to wait and see until Taylor releases her next album.. :dancehall: 

OT: looks like 30 won't have the longevity on streaming 

27 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Reality is EoM is sitting pretty at #1. Will be the first to be #1 in downloads, streaming, and radio since 2017. She's being consumed on ALL formats. 

Mentioning 2017, that's the last time Taylor had a #1 hit that lasted more than 1 week at the top outside of its debut. Fun fact, Easy on Me will outstream Cardigan and Willow on Spotify by the end of November. It took a not even 2 months for it to outstream :deadbanana4:

And this "Rerecording" excuse is so BS and they all know it. Taylor has presented herself as the victim all over TV and social media asking people to buy her TVs to get back at SB for selling her music. She's literally telling people/her fans, buying these new versions is a big deal and is empowering.

Swifities need to stop acting like Taylor dropped a re-recording album for fun, and that it's selling this amount without incentive. She included like 15 new songs, has multiple versions and promoted on TV (including a performance on SNL). She also promoted the **** out of it on Tik Tok knowing they'd eat up the drama with Jake Gyllenhaal ala Olivia/Joshua/Sabrina.

The nostalgia + controversy (Jake + Rerecording) work in Taylor's favor for. Not against her.

I honestly can't wait for her next release. If it opens with 600-800k with her plethora of versions then I can't wait to bump all these Swifties. Because it will SURELY be embarrassing if Taylor can't significantly outsell her own re-recording with her next studio album.

Red has exactly 1 version.

And its 7 new songs, that didnt make the album in 2012, and 2 we had heard from other artists, not 15

Also its killing it on streaming, not just sales, because Taylor told people to buy it (she never did)?!

She did 2 talkshows and that 1 SNL. And yeah a few tweets and tiktoks. Okay? Thats pretty average promo. And all in release week, pretty much nothing before or since

Edited by simmnfierzig

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.