Diversity 4: The Re-Up | Winner revealed (pg.132)

thecptz

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Tom Vercetti

• Dessy

• Kavish

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to the sing-off I-

brandy-crying.gif

• ATRL Moderator

thank you staryu, dessy, and bagels!!

Mariah-Carey-as-Rocker.jpg

OVERPROTECTED'S CRITIQUES

Spoiler

Aaliyah - What If - Oh wow I was shook from the first seconds! Truly unique within her discography and well your dissertation made me feel a bit emotional and it’s so true, we’ll never know :loser: Anyways great job, I’m not obsessed with the song but it’s good enough

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova - It doesn’t sound like a big departure from her usual sound to be honest but I appreciate you going with two directions as for why this is unique in her discography, a cute song overall. 

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom - I absolutely hate some of the noises in the production but I bopped to some other parts ngl, I felt it ended a bit abruptly though. 

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour - Not my fave song from the album anymore but it is the one that got me into it, a classic I fear and a perfect fit for this round.

Ellie Goulding - Tides - Cackled at “those elements may not be present” now sis… anyways I can kinda hear what you were going for but I fear the song just doesn’t go as hard to be considered hyperpop. On the other hand that made me enjoy the song more so that’s good, a very cute bop!

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport - The first time I heard the song I didn’t get it, by the 30 second mark I was like wow what is this, it sounds nothing like anything that’s out there, the lyrics are very um. Genre benders lizard king did that! 

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop - This was a moment yeah, a cultural restart as the kids would say. I’m surprised that this song still holds up to this day, and has barely aged I fear. 

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim - Well this definitely sounds different from your other entries, there’s that chaotic production and talk singing parts I usually don’t enjoy. Overall there are some cute parts here and there but the song feels aimless and all over the place. 

Shakira - Las de la Intuición - Massive classic and even though it doesn’t sound like anything new for her it truly was back then. 

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine - Without your explanation I wouldn’t have known how this was unique within her discography but I buy it. It’s a big bop. I love the way the beat switches for the chorus. 

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul - Part 1 was a cute little introduction though I wasn’t the biggest fan of the distorted guitar (?). Part 2 was also cutesy although I didn’t like the vocals here much. The autotune effect in Part 3 is a nono I fear. Part 4 was a bit of a bop. Part 5 kinda felt disconnected from the rest but I liked it. Overall it’s alright. 

Taylor Swift - cardigan - PeriodT. Gorgeous song. 

Tinashe - The Chase - This one sounds a bit generic for her standards tbh but still she gives it enough flavor to not be so basic. 

Tove Lo - Scream My Name - sjsjd well you made an effort to make this seem like a fit and that’s appreciated. The song itself really doesn’t sound different from what we’ve heard so far, it’s cute. 

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix - I mean this is a big bop, not sure if it’s really unique but I buy the explanation. 

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love - Not familiar with her discography at all but this sounds quite different from what you’ve sent thus far, I’m vibing.

4 minutes ago, Overprotected said:

“those elements may not be present

I already said I made a typo. It should have been "may not be obviously present". :shy:

I just know this round was made for Miley no one can do it BETTER

Md95Haz.png

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

@Element – Aaliyah – What If

This song 100% speaks for itself. This essay 100% speaks for itself. Truly unique in her discography, and I feel like she would have indeed ventured into rock next. Her image was getting darker with Queen of the Damned and rock was getting popular during that time. Oh well. I really appreciate the song for what it is – experimental and a portrayal of Aaliyah's willingness to change.

@shelven – Billie Eilish – Billie Bossa Nova

You sold it perfectly in your essay. The sound and lyrics are indeed different from anything Billie has done before. The song is so groovy and sensual, and these are not words that I would typically use to describe her songs, so you made the right pick.

@clue - Charli XCX – Vroom Vroom

This was such a departure from 'True Romance' and 'Sucker', and I was so confused when I first heard it. I remember not liking it at first, but it eventually grew on me and the genre went on to be a staple during the latter half of last decade. Glad that you went with "Vroom Vroom" to highlight this significant shift of her career.

@Not Like The Movies – Chloe x Halle – Ungodly Hour

Getting flashback of the live performance. When you sent that, I immediately thought that it sounded different from what you had been sending and it's still the case. Even though the sound is Disclosured, it's still a very Chloe x Halle song with their vocal harmonization and coordination, and together the two duos create perfection.

@touya kinomoto - Ellie Goulding – Tides

I understand what you were going for but your essay was not convincing enough. You were trying to show us how Ellie incorporated some different elements in this song while at the same time telling us that "those elements may not be obviously present but you could hear those in some parts". You did not pinpoint the exact parts that we should be paying attention to, so I feel like I should force myself to hear it. I wanted to buy it, but it just sounds like a lot of her songs and your essay did not help me see it differently.

@Drifloon - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – Intrasport

The way that you have been doing this round every round. You never fail to show a different side of them, and in a 'not like other girls' round, it's only fitting for us to hear a song that could be mainstream for a change. This is undeniably the catchier song that you have sent so far, and the fact that they incorporated first-time elements to it further strengthen this pick. Excellent instrumentation, vocals, and all the intricate details in between blend together to produce an absolute banger.

@boys - Miley Cyrus – We Can't Stop

You could have gone the Dead Petz route but I'm glad that you went with the rebirth of Miley instead. It's the only entry this round that's more image-focused, and boy was that a shock. It was clear that Hannah Montana was dead with all the twerking, tongue-posing, and molly talk going on. The song also promises a good time whenever it comes on and never fails to uplift my mood.

@mokitsu - Red Velvet – Zimzalabim

I had started to associate Red Velvet with chill, dreamy, and warm songs due to the ones that you have been sending, so this is indeed different in comparison. While the sinister nature is reminiscent of "Monster" in the 'hell' round, this one has more of a fierce and playful edge to it that I haven't heard from them so far. The cute verses, dark-hypnotic chorus, and the instrumental part at 2:00 offer a chaotic but welcoming departure from their usual demeanor.

@Opulent - Shakira – Las de la Intuición

The song contains components of Shakira's previous sounds, but the synthpop element truly elevates it into 'not like other girls' status, especially for 2005 standards. It must have sounded so different back then, not only for her, but also compared to the sound of Fergie, Gwen, and Nelly. "Don't Bother" from 'Oral Fixation, Vol. 2' even sounds like it at some parts, so it's safe to say that Shakira knew that this song paved a new direction for her.

@Auburn - Shania Twain – Any Man of Mine

You make some good points, but just like I can hear the inspiration for "Come On Over" in this, I also hear it from other songs from "The Woman in Me". So I'm not sure if we should fully credit this song for the crossover that would come later. I agree that it was the first real taste publicly though. I think that if you chose one of her pop/pop-rock leaning songs and went the "this was her first pop/pop rock song" approach , you would have had a stronger entry. I still like this song though. A fun time.

@Noah - Sufjan Stevens – Impossible Soul

I often describe Sufjan's songs as adventurous or a journey in my critiques, and this one is the ultimate musical equivalence of one with its length, story-telling, and multiple switches and parts. Not only fitting for the round for being as grand and ambitious as ever, but also one that I personally admire. Like you said, it's one of those songs that you just have to sit back and be soaked in the experience. And what a beautiful, weird, magnificent experience this is.

@Rence - Taylor Swift – cardigan

Both her transition to pop or her image overhaul into Darklor would have fit, but you made the right choice. Cardigan was the first transition that was both unexpected and felt like she shifted landscapes completely. It's impressive how she managed to sound different while retaining the Swiftian touch. The bridge and outro is one of her best endings, and the song being the lead was the perfect opening to the world of folklore and evermore.

@Tom Vercetti- Tinashe – The Chase

I first heard "The Chase" in Vanishing Letters and it was so different sounding from what I had ever heard from Tinashe back then. It is well crafted and has a 'pop perfection' feel to it which is something that we usually expect from indie girls. I therefore agree with your choice. The song also has two aspects that I love: it feels very dusk-time to me and it has a dreamy vibe to it.

@ughgabriel - Tove Lo – Scream My Name

The song is indeed darker lyrically and I like the selling point that she is singing from another perspective, but the song is still very Tove Lo. I think that you would have done better if you had written a stronger essay because the points were there; you just did not execute them properly. I also like the song, but I think that a song from a later era would have done better. The "Queen of the Clouds" era is just too Tove Loian to be too distinct from each other.

@luckystrike - Troye Sivan – Easy Remix

Sonically, it isn't much of a departure from his other songs, but I'm glad that you sold it on the basis that it was his first remix, and this subtly fits in the context of your artist doing something different. It used to be on my playlist back then and I would listen to it while getting ready for work, so there is some nostalgia attached to it. It still sounds very good. Kacey and Troye complement each other, and I didn't know that Mark remixed it, but he truly elevated it.

@PinkBox - Whitney Houston – My Love Is Your Love

Very different from what Whitney is widely known for, and I can't help but feel like she was inspired by "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" which came out some months prior. Still, it is a refreshing change from her power ballads of the earlier 90s. The beat is engaging, with some voices accompanying her to generate some good vibes together.

~

cult-the-craft.gif

thank you for ur unique critiques, judge Amy @Kavish

Fcq76Gl.png

CRITIQUES

ROUND 5

Spoiler
On 11/9/2021 at 1:52 AM, Staryu said:

Vt2dVNT.png

very you kneek round

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - What If
I've somehow never heard this Aaliyah song, it is very different, I've definitely never heard this sound from her.

I love her vocals as always, the production is a little grating at times but it is unique. The song overall is giving me Janet teas tbh.

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova
This has grown into my favorite song from her latest album and it is a very different vibe for her.

It's very sleek and well, bossa nova :coma: It's so smooth, kinda feels like it puts me into a trance when I listen to it.

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom
Iconic opening, LET'S RIDE, 2nd to only It's Britney Bitch. It's camp tbh and it's unique,

you don't hear any other artist doing it like this. 

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour
Probably my favorite CXH song :oprah: and I had no idea Disclosure produced this,

I feel like this is the perfect song for you this round, glad you sent it :jamming:

Ellie Goulding - Tides
This sounds like standard Ellie in parts but very different sonically in others,

it's probably one of your best options for this round, it's not one of my Ellie faves but I don't hate it. 

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport
This is definitely not like the other girls. Liz Wiz are kind of an enigma to me, it's kinda fascinating how many genres they cover.

This song isn't amazing, but it kinda bops. 

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop
Kind of a cultural reset tbh, this was definitely a rebirth for Miley and it deserved #1 on the Hot 100!

Lyrically this was territory Miley had never entered before. 

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim
The chanting chorus is kind of creepy, overall it's a bop, I can see how this is unique in their discography,

it's not as light and fun as other songs I've heard from them.

Shakira - Las de la Intuición
This kinda sounds like Shakira doing Kylie Minogue to me, so I guess it's unique for her, I kinda like it :jamming: 

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine
Shania stomped into the country pop scene with this classic, as country born and raised and gay,

this is one of my favorite songs of all time, and definitely my favorite Shania song. 

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
Well this definitely fits the theme perfectly! The song itself.. I kinda hate long songs and this is 25 minutes,

I will never be listening as a whole again! But I agree that the last 2 parts are the best, especially enjoyed part 5.

Taylor Swift - cardigan
A folk classic! When Taylor shifts genres, it's a pop culture moment, and this is no exception.

This is one of her best songs/singles, period.

Tinashe - The Chase
This is a unique song for Tinashe, very ethereal and it even reminds me of Grimes vocally at times,

at the beginning especially. I personally love the song, top 3 from 333 for me.

Tove Lo - Scream My Name
This does sound darker than usual for Tove, it's kind of a vibe, I liked the song more as it went along.

Choosing a soundtrack song for this was a good idea too, I feel a lot of times they do stand out a bit in the artist's discography.

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix
Troye's best remix :oprah: I guess it's unique in the way you said, he added 2 artists to it and made it a better song,

sonically it doesn't scream unique for Troye to me, but it works in other ways. 

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love
This song is reggae tinged, so it is a bit different for Whitney, and it's one of her classics,

it's always felt like a very group effort of a song to me, with all of the vocals on the chorus and in the background.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, Dessy said:

YRVcvib.jpg

Okay I think I read everything? I'm certainly not rereading everything. 

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - What If
I was wondering if you’d find this song. It is definitely unique and kinda unexpected. It’s reminiscent of Kelela’s CFM mixtape which I enjoy a lot. 

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova
Everyone wishes they had a song like Billie Bossa Nova. Maybe it’s ahead of its time for certain people but it's the right time for me!

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom
This is good yeah. Idk if you’re selling me that it’s unique to her but it’s good and I buy it from what I know of her disco.

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour
This was definitely something a bit different from them, especially in the context of the album (which was different in of itself for them). I had no idea Disclosure produced this though. Very excellent song. 

Ellie Goulding - Tides
I see I see. The song was just okay for me though. 

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport
Wowwowowo the way I was BOPPING to a King Gizzard song. Honestly, every song seems different from each other so idk how you could fail this theme. And yet this might be my favorite you sent from them so far! 

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop
I guess Miley’s disco was fairly made for the round considering how many different things she does. A good choice and this song aged well to me. 

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim
This is some other ****, this is some trippy ****. Not my favorite RV song but I admire the decision to send this. 

Shakira - Las de la Intuición
You’re giving me a ROLLER COASTER experience with these submissions. Bad good bad good. More good than bad rn cause this song is excellent omg. Simply amazing. 

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine
That’s very interesting. However, this song is rather underwhelming for me… almost forgettable. 

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
GIRL I THOUGHT ACTUAL ALARMS WERE GOING OFF AT FIRST. 
My favorite parts of the song were around 7:30, 13:50, and the last few minutes, . The ending of “Part 2” around 9:40 fell a lil to flat me but this was countered by the opening of “Part 3” which gave me a pleasant vibe. Part 5 felt so much like a release that I thought it was a different song altogether (a good thing).

Part 4 was also my favorite indeed, but I’m also a fan of Part 2. 
Honestly, I applaud the sheer GALL to send a song of this length. But I’m not hung up on it since I listen to a lot of classical/strings/stuff. But hey it’s my favorite Sufjan song that you sent so far so that’s an achievement to me.  

Taylor Swift - cardigan
This is exactly what I expected you to send and you did not disappoint. 

Tinashe - The Chase
Terrible, ugly, nonsense. Take this back to the drawing board. Just kidding I enjoy 333 and this song really was something else. A very very beautiful song. 

Tove Lo - Scream My Name
Girl, what is that sharp ugly-ass instrumental that repeats? I have to focus only on her singing which I did like but lord was it annoying :biblio:

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix
Yes indeed. I keep finding myself going back and forth between this version and the original so I know they’re definitely different enough for me. And obviously, you know I love this song.

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love
Different for Whitney yes. A serve? Not my favorite from her… It’s okay though.

Reveal hidden contents

10 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

GwGkVeR.png?width=360&height=450

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - this was indeed somewhat unexpected. I do associate Aaliyah more with subtle and lowkey music, so the guitar work makes this indeed unique from what I know of Aaliyah. The timing of this along with your (very lengthy) write up def sells it nicely. The instrumental, whilst in no way super similar, reminds me of Rihanna's woo, where the guitar work is intentionally grunge-y and somewhat grating, but in like.. a good way? It's very nice even though I wouldn't necessarily look for it to listen to it again

Billie Eilish - the choice to go a bossa nova route is def fitting for this category, although imo its far from the best fit for this round. The somewhat minimalistic sound can be felt almost on every song on HTE with a few expections here and there that go with a more maximalist approach. In that sense, Bossa Nova isn't that wild, but I'll let it slide. It's def a pretty song and one of her best vocal performances.

Charli XCX - the fit of this entry is absolutely perfect and the fact that this isn't getting overwhelming acclaim as the best entry this round is insane. Back when Vroom Vroom was released, pitchfork panned it upon its release, mostly because there was nothing like it. It's easy to assume that this is just expected from Charli, because the sound has reached a lot more people now, but back then it was one of a kind. It essentially started a new (sub)genre thanks to Charli and SOPHIE's memorable production. One of the most influential songs of the 10s and I'm not even joking. A perfect entry, and far above any other entry this round.

Chloe x Halle - are we ready to admit that this was the best song of the album as well? The dance elements in this are so well incorporated to their style that it never felt like a random dance song, it holds up amazingly between more r&b forward tracks on the album. If/when they release together again, they need to explore this sound more. It's still feels fresh and modern. Very nice entry

Ellie Goulding - 'Cause when you make a mistake
You gotta figure it out'

VERY fitting lyric for this entry

King Gizzard - props to you for sending something wildly different ever round and still finding a way to surprise us this round. This is indeed nothing like any of your previous entries at all. Some of these elements are amazing, it makes you wonder why sounds of turkish disco hasn't crossed over to mainstream pop anymore. Nice entry, even if I don't love his delivery all the time, i can forgive it because of this insanely cool production

Miley Cyrus - can't be tamed walked so this could RUN. Whilst there were old shreds of disney miley, this one truly does represent a completely new miley. I also love how this was a new sound to her, but yet subtle things here and there still make this feel like a Miley song, the biggest factor here is the lyrics that truly showed that the 'old' miley was gone. It's also a bop so x

Red Velvet - this witch-y bop oop! It's def unlike anything i've heard of them. The chorus on this is strange but in the best way possible, some of the verses are a little clunkier but overall it's a nice entry

Shakira - your best entry to date I fear. This song is just.. SO good :jonny: The vibe of it is just so many things, but above it all it has this somewhat mysterious vibe to it that just makes this song so better. Great pick

Shania - not super familiar with Shania's career. This isn't wildly different from your other entries but I'm willing to believe your entry that this does fit, that said, this is sadly not for me. The country elements in this feel so corny and too much, and the overall song just feels underwhelming. 

Sufjan - not 25 minutes.. are you INSANE. That said.. this is indeed cool. The way he tells a story rather than just making a song following the somewhat established formulas, makes this instantly unique already. The nice thing about this isn't just unique because of its length or how the song is executed lyrically, but also interesting production elements here and there. Idk if I'd ever listen to this again but this def fits

Taylor Swift - Thank god you did not send SIO :deadbanana: Coming from the occasionally nauseating pop from Lover, along with the fact that this was a semi-surprise release, this fits better than any other taylor song before this could fit. I would've accepted several other folklore cuts, or even some evermore cuts, but I do think choosing the lead here is the best choice. Nice job

Tinashe - one of the reasons why Tinashe is still one of the most interesting artists we have out there. I love how it somehow feels both nostalgic and forwardthinking. Possibly my fav off her latest album, her delivery in this is great

Tove Lo - the song's perspective does make this a somewhat unique song, although I personally don't feel like.. this is wildly unique song for Tove? I guess it was hard anyways considering she mostly dabbles into dance-pop anyways, so this is the best you could do but this song just.. feels very underwhelming

Troye - i mean.. I guess. I don't think this is that wildly unique for Troye. That said it's also one of his best, and a very excellent remix so who knows!

Whitney Houston - this is cool, the minimalist vibes of this are def unlike anything you sent thus far. This mostly has a focus on her amazing vocals. Some of the vocal deliveries and lyrical content makes this feel somewhat familiar for Whitney which makes this a very nice experiment where the artist doesn't lose itself when they're experimenting. Nice entry

@Element @shelven @clue @Not Like The Movies @touya kinomoto @Drifloon @boys @mokitsu @Opulent @Auburn @Noah @Rence @Tom Vercetti @ughgabriel @luckystrike @PinkBox

7 hours ago, Overprotected said:

Mariah-Carey-as-Rocker.jpg

OVERPROTECTED'S CRITIQUES

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - What If - Oh wow I was shook from the first seconds! Truly unique within her discography and well your dissertation made me feel a bit emotional and it’s so true, we’ll never know :loser: Anyways great job, I’m not obsessed with the song but it’s good enough

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova - It doesn’t sound like a big departure from her usual sound to be honest but I appreciate you going with two directions as for why this is unique in her discography, a cute song overall. 

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom - I absolutely hate some of the noises in the production but I bopped to some other parts ngl, I felt it ended a bit abruptly though. 

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour - Not my fave song from the album anymore but it is the one that got me into it, a classic I fear and a perfect fit for this round.

Ellie Goulding - Tides - Cackled at “those elements may not be present” now sis… anyways I can kinda hear what you were going for but I fear the song just doesn’t go as hard to be considered hyperpop. On the other hand that made me enjoy the song more so that’s good, a very cute bop!

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport - The first time I heard the song I didn’t get it, by the 30 second mark I was like wow what is this, it sounds nothing like anything that’s out there, the lyrics are very um. Genre benders lizard king did that! 

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop - This was a moment yeah, a cultural restart as the kids would say. I’m surprised that this song still holds up to this day, and has barely aged I fear. 

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim - Well this definitely sounds different from your other entries, there’s that chaotic production and talk singing parts I usually don’t enjoy. Overall there are some cute parts here and there but the song feels aimless and all over the place. 

Shakira - Las de la Intuición - Massive classic and even though it doesn’t sound like anything new for her it truly was back then. 

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine - Without your explanation I wouldn’t have known how this was unique within her discography but I buy it. It’s a big bop. I love the way the beat switches for the chorus. 

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul - Part 1 was a cute little introduction though I wasn’t the biggest fan of the distorted guitar (?). Part 2 was also cutesy although I didn’t like the vocals here much. The autotune effect in Part 3 is a nono I fear. Part 4 was a bit of a bop. Part 5 kinda felt disconnected from the rest but I liked it. Overall it’s alright. 

Taylor Swift - cardigan - PeriodT. Gorgeous song. 

Tinashe - The Chase - This one sounds a bit generic for her standards tbh but still she gives it enough flavor to not be so basic. 

Tove Lo - Scream My Name - sjsjd well you made an effort to make this seem like a fit and that’s appreciated. The song itself really doesn’t sound different from what we’ve heard so far, it’s cute. 

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix - I mean this is a big bop, not sure if it’s really unique but I buy the explanation. 

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love - Not familiar with her discography at all but this sounds quite different from what you’ve sent thus far, I’m vibing.

12 minutes ago, Kavish said:

Md95Haz.png

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

@Element – Aaliyah – What If

This song 100% speaks for itself. This essay 100% speaks for itself. Truly unique in her discography, and I feel like she would have indeed ventured into rock next. Her image was getting darker with Queen of the Damned and rock was getting popular during that time. Oh well. I really appreciate the song for what it is – experimental and a portrayal of Aaliyah's willingness to change.

@shelven – Billie Eilish – Billie Bossa Nova

You sold it perfectly in your essay. The sound and lyrics are indeed different from anything Billie has done before. The song is so groovy and sensual, and these are not words that I would typically use to describe her songs, so you made the right pick.

@clue - Charli XCX – Vroom Vroom

This was such a departure from 'True Romance' and 'Sucker', and I was so confused when I first heard it. I remember not liking it at first, but it eventually grew on me and the genre went on to be a staple during the latter half of last decade. Glad that you went with "Vroom Vroom" to highlight this significant shift of her career.

@Not Like The Movies – Chloe x Halle – Ungodly Hour

Getting flashback of the live performance. When you sent that, I immediately thought that it sounded different from what you had been sending and it's still the case. Even though the sound is Disclosured, it's still a very Chloe x Halle song with their vocal harmonization and coordination, and together the two duos create perfection.

@touya kinomoto - Ellie Goulding – Tides

I understand what you were going for but your essay was not convincing enough. You were trying to show us how Ellie incorporated some different elements in this song while at the same time telling us that "those elements may not be obviously present but you could hear those in some parts". You did not pinpoint the exact parts that we should be paying attention to, so I feel like I should force myself to hear it. I wanted to buy it, but it just sounds like a lot of her songs and your essay did not help me see it differently.

@Drifloon - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – Intrasport

The way that you have been doing this round every round. You never fail to show a different side of them, and in a 'not like other girls' round, it's only fitting for us to hear a song that could be mainstream for a change. This is undeniably the catchier song that you have sent so far, and the fact that they incorporated first-time elements to it further strengthen this pick. Excellent instrumentation, vocals, and all the intricate details in between blend together to produce an absolute banger.

@boys - Miley Cyrus – We Can't Stop

You could have gone the Dead Petz route but I'm glad that you went with the rebirth of Miley instead. It's the only entry this round that's more image-focused, and boy was that a shock. It was clear that Hannah Montana was dead with all the twerking, tongue-posing, and molly talk going on. The song also promises a good time whenever it comes on and never fails to uplift my mood.

@mokitsu - Red Velvet – Zimzalabim

I had started to associate Red Velvet with chill, dreamy, and warm songs due to the ones that you have been sending, so this is indeed different in comparison. While the sinister nature is reminiscent of "Monster" in the 'hell' round, this one has more of a fierce and playful edge to it that I haven't heard from them so far. The cute verses, dark-hypnotic chorus, and the instrumental part at 2:00 offer a chaotic but welcoming departure from their usual demeanor.

@Opulent - Shakira – Las de la Intuición

The song contains components of Shakira's previous sounds, but the synthpop element truly elevates it into 'not like other girls' status, especially for 2005 standards. It must have sounded so different back then, not only for her, but also compared to the sound of Fergie, Gwen, and Nelly. "Don't Bother" from 'Oral Fixation, Vol. 2' even sounds like it at some parts, so it's safe to say that Shakira knew that this song paved a new direction for her.

@Auburn - Shania Twain – Any Man of Mine

You make some good points, but just like I can hear the inspiration for "Come On Over" in this, I also hear it from other songs from "The Woman in Me". So I'm not sure if we should fully credit this song for the crossover that would come later. I agree that it was the first real taste publicly though. I think that if you chose one of her pop/pop-rock leaning songs and went the "this was her first pop/pop rock song" approach , you would have had a stronger entry. I still like this song though. A fun time.

@Noah - Sufjan Stevens – Impossible Soul

I often describe Sufjan's songs as adventurous or a journey in my critiques, and this one is the ultimate musical equivalence of one with its length, story-telling, and multiple switches and parts. Not only fitting for the round for being as grand and ambitious as ever, but also one that I personally admire. Like you said, it's one of those songs that you just have to sit back and be soaked in the experience. And what a beautiful, weird, magnificent experience this is.

@Rence - Taylor Swift – cardigan

Both her transition to pop or her image overhaul into Darklor would have fit, but you made the right choice. Cardigan was the first transition that was both unexpected and felt like she shifted landscapes completely. It's impressive how she managed to sound different while retaining the Swiftian touch. The bridge and outro is one of her best endings, and the song being the lead was the perfect opening to the world of folklore and evermore.

@Tom Vercetti- Tinashe – The Chase

I first heard "The Chase" in Vanishing Letters and it was so different sounding from what I had ever heard from Tinashe back then. It is well crafted and has a 'pop perfection' feel to it which is something that we usually expect from indie girls. I therefore agree with your choice. The song also has two aspects that I love: it feels very dusk-time to me and it has a dreamy vibe to it.

@ughgabriel - Tove Lo – Scream My Name

The song is indeed darker lyrically and I like the selling point that she is singing from another perspective, but the song is still very Tove Lo. I think that you would have done better if you had written a stronger essay because the points were there; you just did not execute them properly. I also like the song, but I think that a song from a later era would have done better. The "Queen of the Clouds" era is just too Tove Loian to be too distinct from each other.

@luckystrike - Troye Sivan – Easy Remix

Sonically, it isn't much of a departure from his other songs, but I'm glad that you sold it on the basis that it was his first remix, and this subtly fits in the context of your artist doing something different. It used to be on my playlist back then and I would listen to it while getting ready for work, so there is some nostalgia attached to it. It still sounds very good. Kacey and Troye complement each other, and I didn't know that Mark remixed it, but he truly elevated it.

@PinkBox - Whitney Houston – My Love Is Your Love

Very different from what Whitney is widely known for, and I can't help but feel like she was inspired by "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" which came out some months prior. Still, it is a refreshing change from her power ballads of the earlier 90s. The beat is engaging, with some voices accompanying her to generate some good vibes together.

~

cult-the-craft.gif

thank you OP <3 

thank you kavish <3 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.