HDD: SOUR expected to end year with 3M units in US

Hector

6 hours ago, Brando said:

she has the two biggest female songs of the decade so far off one album. give me an example of that happening prior to 2003 where a parent album didn't go diamond :skull:

Stop being delusional.

The decade you mention literally just 1 years and 7 months.

Massive eras that have more and bigger hits in the US like Teenage Dream still havent go diamond, 1989 took years to go diamond and Taylor is a much bigger album seller than Dua, Loud has 3 smash hits and still doesnt reach 5x platinum. Or Beyonce debut which have 2 iconic smashes just around 7x platinum. Fergie debut with 5 smashes is just 6x platinum..... Theres plenty of example.

So what make you think Future Nostalgia already go diamond. Base on the 2 smashes and 1 moderate hit. Its just not work like that, we need the audience to consume the whole album.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brando

• drivers license

• IStanHard

• Pedro Labre

8 hours ago, Brando said:

she has the two biggest female songs of the decade so far off one album. give me an example of that happening prior to 2003 where a parent album didn't go diamond :skull:

Eh...DL fizzled out way faster than I would have expected. We'll see what G4U looks like in a few months.

21 hours ago, Brando said:

ye, but FN is a Diamond+ monster and its popularity will not be reflected in its stats. It's been charting super high for 2 years and it's only 2x plat :skull:

Delusional:bibliahh:

Rhythm Nation 1814 and Teenage Dream scored more than 7 Top 5 Hot 100 hits and these two albums still haven't reached the Diamond status:giraffe:  What makes you think two huge hits are enough for FN to be Diamond-eligible?

Future Nostalgia will stall at ~3-4m US album units in the long run.

That's its real popularity:celestial5: Similar to Talk That Talk/Unapologetic-level US success (Two Top 5 hits with a few Top 20/30 singles)

9 hours ago, Pedro Labre said:

and that is good, isnt it?

If they earned that on their own merit with just one era then why not give them the deserved certifications. James Blunt's Back to Bedlam was a smash era, but he fizzed out very quickly after. That however doesn't take away the fact that his debut era was massive. 

9 hours ago, Pedro Labre said:

charts werent very reliable at the time

Writtings on the Wall isnt diamond and has Say My Name and Bills Bills Bills

Let Go isnt diamond as well and has Complicated and Im With You

Even Christina Aguilera debut had four smash hits and failed to reach diamond status, even getting close

4 hours ago, chiliam said:

Stop being delusional.

The decade you mention literally just 1 years and 7 months.

Massive eras that have more and bigger hits in the US like Teenage Dream still havent go diamond, 1989 took years to go diamond and Taylor is a much bigger album seller than Dua, Loud has 3 smash hits and still doesnt reach 5x platinum. Or Beyonce debut which have 2 iconic smashes just around 7x platinum. Fergie debut with 5 smashes is just 6x platinum..... Theres plenty of example.

So what make you think Future Nostalgia already go diamond. Base on the 2 smashes and 1 moderate hit. Its just not work like that, we need the audience to consume the whole album.

39 minutes ago, skyandground said:

Delusional:bibliahh:

Rhythm Nation 1814 and Teenage Dream scored more than 7 Top 5 Hot 100 hits and these two albums still haven't reached the Diamond status:giraffe:  What makes you think two huge hits are enough for FN to be Diamond-eligible?

Future Nostalgia will stall at ~3-4m US album units in the long run.

That's its real popularity:celestial5: Similar to Talk That Talk/Unapologetic-level US success (Two Top 5 hits with a few Top 20/30 singles)

So according to y'all it's ok that we only got 3/4 diamond certified albums in the past 10+ years, when we used to get several diamond albums a year back in the day. How is this fair to current artists who smash really really hard but have to settle for 2/3x plat. 

18 minutes ago, Brando said:

If they earned that on their own merit with just one era then why not give them the deserved certifications. James Blunt's Back to Bedlam was a smash era, but he fizzed out very quickly after. That however doesn't take away the fact that his debut era was massive. 

So according to y'all it's ok that we only got 3/4 diamond certified albums in the past 10+ years, when we used to get several diamond albums a year back in the day. How is this fair to current artists who smash really really hard but have to settle for 2/3x plat. 

Honestly, pop culture stars were bigger back in the day. Nowadays the stars aren’t as big, tastes and consumption of everything is too fragmented. 

23 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Honestly, pop culture stars were bigger back in the day. Nowadays the stars aren’t as big, tastes and consumption of everything is too fragmented. 

I mean how huge was Gaga? Where's her diamond album? 

When album sales plummeted in mid-00s, the Diamond certification should have been changed to 5m from 10m. 

Right now Diamond should either have been 5m or the weight from streaming adjusted to contribute more units. 

1 hour ago, Brando said:

When album sales plummeted in mid-00s, the Diamond certification should have been changed to 5m from 10m. 

Right now Diamond should either have been 5m or the weight from streaming adjusted to contribute more units. 

Fame and Fame Monster combined are 12x Platinum

Edited by Protocol

1 minute ago, Protocol said:

Fame and Fame Monster combined are 12x Platinum

2 albums obviously. Not to mention singles performance is included into those stats. Albums back in the day did not need that help

FN is the most streamed female album of the decade and is 2x the next most streamed album and you all have the nerve to say it deserves 2x plat certification :deadbanana:

Just now, Brando said:

2 albums obviously. Not to mention singles performance is included into those stats. Albums back in the day did not need that help

Yeah but single sales grew massively because of iTunes, which in turn depressed album sales since you could just buy the hits individually. Gaga would’ve gone Diamond a decade earlier. She’s the exception though.

9 minutes ago, Brando said:

FN is the most streamed female album of the decade and is 2x the next most streamed album and you all have the nerve to say it deserves 2x plat certification :deadbanana:

Those streams are scattered across the whole world? What does its US certification have to do with its global streams?

Edited by WeFoundTrouble

45 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

Those streams are scattered across the whole world? What does its US certification have to do with its global streams?

so in what place is it in the USA?

LOL this view to make certfications vallue less is so stupid... if the market isnt big as was, people wont be as succesful as those before were

Now make up certifications to claim that 5M now is the same as 10M then... WTF haha

the deserved certification is what they get, period... if their success stop and they can't accumulate more units thru the years, their problem

LOL each moment of the industry something is bigger or smaller, its just how it works, its not unfair that the artists now do not have huge albums like back then, its just reality

Now artists has singles with major certifications, tours with huge gross, they earn more money... why? because the market changes and thats ok, dont cry about it

2 minutes ago, Pedro Labre said:

the deserved certification is what they get, period... if their success stop and they can't accumulate more units thru the years, their problem

LOL each moment of the industry something is bigger or smaller, its just how it works, its not unfair that the artists now do not have huge albums like back then, its just reality

Now artists has singles with major certifications, tours with huge gross, they earn more money... why? because the market changes and thats ok, dont cry about it

i have nothing to cry about it, i don't even care for Dua Lipa :skull:

but I care about fairness and judging from your avi you care about your fave having two diamond albums and don't others to have any comparable stats despite having bigger albums. 

33 minutes ago, Brando said:

i have nothing to cry about it, i don't even care for Dua Lipa :skull:

but I care about fairness and judging from your avi you care about your fave having two diamond albums and don't others to have any comparable stats despite having bigger albums. 

fairness LMAO

undervallue certifications for artists snatch diamond albums is fairness? what a joke haha

For pure sales I agree but including streams 10m for diamond is ok, we are also getting way more diamond singles now than before streaming was a thing

On 7/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, Protocol said:

Country music has a massive audience in America but it’s “niche” in a way. It’s like a HUGE niche where it feels silly to call it a niche, but the genre doesn’t really exist if you don’t partake in it.

this exactly. people not from America probably think morgan wallen is some mega star who has huge hits and music we all listen to when it’s so not that at all. he isn’t welcome at award shows, doesn’t play on pop radio, and nobody that isn’t a country music fan knows him as anything other than that embarrassing man who screamed a slur on camera. 

On 7/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, Brando said:

ye, but FN is a Diamond+ monster and its popularity will not be reflected in its stats. It's been charting super high for 2 years and it's only 2x plat :skull:

On 7/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, Brando said:

18 hours ago, Brando said:

I love Dua but in no way is FN a “diamond monster album”, it was only #62 in the Billboard YEC in 2020 and will probably be Top 10 this year but is not massive like a Diamond album was. 

Janet had much bigger/more hits in the U.S and never scored a Diamond album.

Bad had 5 #1s and it took 30 years to go Diamond, Dangerous is “only” 7x Platinum.

True Blue and Like A Prayer aren’t Diamond, etc.

Do you really think FN is bigger than these albums? :rip:

Edited by CaptainMusic

5 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

I love Dua but in no way is FN a “diamond monster album”, it was only #62 in the Billboard YEC in 2020 and will probably be Top 10 this year but is not massive like a Diamond album was. 

Janet had much bigger/more hits in the U.S and never scored a Diamond album.

Bad had 5 #1s and it took 30 years to go Diamond, Dangerous is “only” 7x Platinum.

True Blue and Like A Prayer aren’t Diamond, etc.

Do you really think FN is bigger than these albums? :rip:

FN was just an example. I'm not that familiar with its stats. I just know it's huge. What I was comparing is how many diamond albums we got in the 70s/80s/90s to how many diamond albums we got in the past 10/20 years. Are the artists at fault or are the statistic keeping broken? 

The number of Diamond certified albums per decade according to wikipedia:

70s: 25 

80s: 32

90s: 50

00s: 14 (only 2 of them released after 2005)

10s: 2 (both by Adele) 

With population growth came consumption growth, yet there was a collapse in certifications first due to piracy which should have seen the requirement for Diamond slashed by half, and now a complete undercount due low weight that streaming contributes despite heightened consumption like never seen before. 

And you all have the nerve to say that 2x plat and 3x plat is what most albums deserve :biblio:

On 7/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, RobynYoBank said:

Eh...DL fizzled out way faster than I would have expected. We'll see what G4U looks like in a few months.

DL fizzled out kinda fast in the US because radio did it dirty and dropped it fast. It's still top 20 on Spotify Global&US and still the most streamed/consumed song of this year by FAR. And Good 4 U just broke Senorita's record of fastest song to reach 600M in history, it did even better than DL:rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.