Perpetual Novice's Top 50 | Honourable Mentions & AOTY!

perpetual novice

rUcx4BX.png

Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing a best-of list here on ATRL, so I thought I would keep it simple and list what I believe are the best 50 albums of 2020. A big goal of mine for this list was to introduce a number of new acts to ATRL that maybe the site hadn't heard of before, so please do check out anyone on the list that you don't recognise! :)

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

Spoiler

ctPpbcC.png

(in no specific order)

These works are still worth checking out, although they missed my Top 50.

1. Sega Bodega - Salvador

2. Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue

3. Troye Sivan - In a Dream

4. Lianne La Havas - Lianna La Havas

5. Hayley Williams - Petals for Armour

6. Leon - Apart

RESULTS: #50-11

Spoiler

tJGSdSr.png

50. Megan Thee Stallion - Good News

49. Babeheaven - Home For Now

48. Doves - The Universal Want

47. Victoria Monet - Jaguar

46. Kiesza - Crave

45. RAYE - Euphoric Sad Songs

44. Phantogram - Ceremony

43. ericdoa - COA

42. JIM-E Stack - EPHERMA

41. Raleigh Ritchie - Andy

40. The Weeknd - After Hours

GjMdVZE.png

39. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately

38. VERITE - New Limbs (vol. 1)

37. Dianna Lopez - Shapeshifting

36. Paris Jackson - wilted

35. Tei Shi - Die 4 Ur Love

34. Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

33. Sevdaliza - Shabrang

32. Rico Nasty - Nightmare Vacation

31. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

30. Disclosure - ENERGY

hy2nORK.png

29. Christine and the Queens - La vita nuova

28. Soccer Mommy - color theory

27. HAIM - Women In Music Pt. III

26. Donna Missal - Lighter

25. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

24. Kylie Minogue - DISCO

23. Purity Ring - WOMB

22. Joji - Nectar

21. Allie X - Cape God

20. Bree Runway - 2000AND4EVA

YNGkzCg.png

19. Kacy Hill - Is It Selfish If We Talk About Me Again

18. beabadoobee - Fake It Flowers

17. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters

16. Taylor Swift - Folklore

15. Yves Tumour - Heaven to a Tortured Mind

14. Lady Gaga - Chromatica

13. Halsey - Manic

12. PVRIS - Use Me

11. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

* The original version of this list had Ariana Grande's "Positions" at Rank 50,  the late addition of Rico Nasty's "Nightmare Vacation" pushed it out. No shade to Ari I just forgot this album was coming out :deadbanana4: There won't be any more late additions.

TOP 10:

7KykWbG.png

lZzMwJU.png

PERPETUAL NOVICE // ALBUM OF THE YEAR

aqtxKTv.png

TOP 10 -- TEXT VERSION:

Spoiler

10. Georgia - Seeking Thrills

9. SHYGIRL - ALIAS

8. 070 Shake - Modus Vivendi

7. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene

6. Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

5. Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now

4. clipping. - Visions of Bodies Being Burned

3. Run The Jewels - RTJ4

2. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

1. Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perpetual novice

• Sunderland 4ever

• BlackoutZone

• Ewan Chaos

5 minutes ago, perpetual novice said:

48. Babeheaven - Home For Now

Great pick! Just listened to it last weekend.

5 minutes ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Great pick! Just listened to it last weekend.

Thanks :celestial4: I have to admit I liked their Suspended Animation project more, it felt more unique to me, but Home for Now is a nice chilled out album I can see myself coming back to a few times.

Positions sneaking its way in somehow :fan: 

I really wanted to like Crave, but it feels so cheap to me, it's like dollar store Emotion, in theory these are great pop bangers, but the execution doesn't hit me at all! Euphoric Sad Songs however perfected this :heart2:

2 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Positions sneaking its way in somehow :fan: 

I really wanted to like Crave, but it feels so cheap to me, it's like dollar store Emotion, in theory these are great pop bangers, but the execution doesn't hit me at all! Euphoric Sad Songs however perfected this :heart2:

I did debate with myself whether it would be worth including Ariana in the list but all my other options weren't really worth listing either and Ariana would have more name recognition here so :busted: It's a cute album.

Crave has its cheap moments but I think it's highs, especially All Of The Feelings, make up for it. 

I heard Jaguar by Victoria Monet yesterday for the first time. Good tracks

I heard Jaguar by Victoria Monet yesterday for the first time. Good tracks

Have fun with your first Best Of!

My favorites so far are Ariana, Victoria, and Kiesza. Megan is great but the album generally disappointed me :/

2 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Have fun with your first Best Of!

My favorites so far are Ariana, Victoria, and Kiesza. Megan is great but the album generally disappointed me :/

Megan’s album slightly disappointed me too but I think it was still good even if it didn’t meet my expectations. “Shots Fired” is the kinda stuff I think she should do more, she’s way better off showcasing herself as a serious rapper than doing the repetitive hoe bops 

New Update!

GjMdVZE.png

39. The Weeknd - After Hours

38. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately

37. VERITE - New Limbs (vol. 1)

36. Dianna Lopez - Shapeshifting

35. Paris Jackson - wilted

34. Tei Shi - Die 4 Ur Love

33. Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

32. Sevdaliza - Shabrang

31. Tame Impala - The Slow rush

30. Disclosure - ENERGY

Very good projects, however Verite in such small dose didn't hit me as much as her previous projects. The Slow Rush was also disappointing, but it has its moments :clap3:

6 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Very good projects, however Verite in such small dose didn't hit me as much as her previous projects. The Slow Rush was also disappointing, but it has its moments :clap3:

I actually like the direction Verite has set herself on with New Skin and New Limbs,  her debut album had a lot of bops but the image and persona in that music felt very put on and had nothing in terms of similarity to her earlier EPs, it kinda felt like she was trying to emulate BANKS. Her past two projects feel a lot more honest and singer-songwritery to me.

As for Tame Impala I had the same reaction on my first couple of reasons because I set an expectation for myself on what the album was going to sound like, and when it was more downtempo than I expected I felt disappointed, but lately the album has actually hit for me and I appreciate it a whole lot more for what it is, same thing goes for another album higher up in the list that I didn't care for on release but I adore now. 

23 minutes ago, perpetual novice said:

New Update!

GjMdVZE.png

39. The Weeknd - After Hours

37. VERITE - New Limbs (vol. 1)

35. Paris Jackson - wilted

34. Tei Shi - Die 4 Ur Love

33. Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

32. Sevdaliza - Shabrang

30. Disclosure - ENERGY

after hours had a few great tracks, but the rest was :stare:

plastic hearts at 33? i mean i guess it did only come out a few days ago so has gotta grow on people

11 minutes ago, dreamofyou said:

after hours had a few great tracks, but the rest was :stare:

plastic hearts at 33? i mean i guess it did only come out a few days ago so has gotta grow on people

I agree that there a lot of After Hours tracks isn't his best material, but it's still a good album. 2020 has been pretty slow for albums in general, I think if it came out in 2019 it wouldn't have made my Top 50. 

As for Plastic Hearts I did enjoy the album and I'll continue to come back to it but one thing about it that bothers me and keeps it further down the list is that it's trying to hop into the 80s throwback trend but doesn't use live instrumentation, it sounds pretty shallow as a result. But the music is still good :jamming:

17 hours ago, perpetual novice said:

This deserved to be higher :jonny:

17 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

This deserved to be higher :jonny:

The writing on this album is pretty impeccable but his vocals and instrumentations throughout are pretty one note :monkey: He definitely would be way higher up the list had he spiced things up a bit more.

Just now, perpetual novice said:

The writing on this album is pretty impeccable but his vocals and instrumentations throughout are pretty one note :monkey: He definitely would be way higher up the list had he spiced things up a bit more.

hmmm the way I disagree with everything you said but I will spare you the essay :thing:

Then again the album is coming for top10 on my list :duca: 

3 hours ago, perpetual novice said:

My favorite track is One More Year. What a way to start the record. If only the rest had just been as consistent. :frown:

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

• ATRL Moderator

Wait at the taste on this list :eek:

Love to see Kiesza, RAYE, Miley, and Disclosure.  Let me try to listen to a few other albums on your list :clap3: 

23 minutes ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

My favorite track is One More Year. What a way to start the record. If only the rest had just been as consistent. :frown:

I like that one a lot too,  I think the record is pretty consistent in terms of the individual tracks but suffers from bad sequencing, I think with a tweaked tracklist it would have been received much better than it was.

8 minutes ago, jpow said:

Wait at the taste on this list :eek:

Love to see Kiesza, RAYE, Miley, and Disclosure.  Let me try to listen to a few other albums on your list :clap3: 

:heart: Definitely recommend Tei Shi's "Die 4 Ur Love" and Victoria Monet's "Jaguar" if you lean heavily for pop. ericdoa's "COA" too if you like heavy synths in the style of Charli's recent music.

19 hours ago, perpetual novice said:

OMG YES :jonny5: Euphoria especially is such a masterpiece, whew:worship2: perched for the rest of your list

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, perpetual novice said:

:heart: Definitely recommend Tei Shi's "Die 4 Ur Love" and Victoria Monet's "Jaguar" if you lean heavily for pop. ericdoa's "COA" too if you like heavy synths in the style of Charli's recent music.

I'm listening to Tei Shi now and I'm living for it!  Thanks for the recommendation, I can see me listening to her for a while now :flower: 

10 minutes ago, suzumia said:

OMG YES :jonny5: Euphoria especially is such a masterpiece, whew:worship2: perched for the rest of your list

That track is so heavenly :jonny6: Euphoria indeed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.