BlackoutZone's Best of 2020 | FINISHED

BlackoutZone

haven't heard Wonho but the rest of your set are flawless :gaycat1: I don't like Miley's cover tbh, her relentless shouting is too overbearing and grating imo

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackoutZone

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• Psycho

Miley's Heart of Glass cover is good, maybe a tad overhyped but I have no major complaints, especially when it's just a cover at the end of the day. Babylon :gaycat2: Love Not Loving You mmm glad it hit me instantly because I would've been crushed if she came back with a flop after so many years.

LNLY is a huge bop, glad to see her being appreciated here :clap3:

Babylon is def one of the best from Chromatica, I think it's just like... not as annoying to listen to as others lol

Babylon is so good :clap3:

Miley's cover is incredible! Her voice fits perfectly! :jonny5:

Murphy's Law :jonny5:

Wait, your 35th place has like 300 plays? Do you listen to music all day? :bloo:

Love Not Loving You :heart:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

Heart Of Glass and Murphy’s Law :clap3: 

Classics :clap3:

19 hours ago, jpow said:

Wow at everything slaying on this update :clap3:

Babylon is one of Gaga's best on Chromatica.  I loved how much Miley ended up slaying with that Blondie cover.  Foxes gave us a cute non-offensive pop song for some easy listening and I live for it.  And Murphy's Law is truly dance disco excellence :clap3: 

We are in top 40 after all :fan: 

19 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Babylon is deffo the best song from Chromatica

Miley's cover was a bit shouty compared to the original but I guess it's her interpretation x

Murphy's Law :worship2: really love it, and the whole sentiment of the song is just so amazing. "I feel my story's still untold but I'll make my own happy ending" is honestly my motto now 

Yeah I went ahead and called it her interpretation, cause it's definitely something more than just a cover and I highly appreciate that.

Spilled on Murphy's Law, I love how the lyrics are highlight even though they are simple and it's a dance track

19 hours ago, prézli said:

Foxes :clap3: 

Delivered a bop :clap3:

19 hours ago, Enigmanotta said:

Babylon, Heart Of Glass, Murphy's Law :clap3:

Besides Friends In The Corner, I'm really not a fan of the latest Foxes singles, and this one is probably my least favourite...

FITC was initially my fave of the new ones, but LNLY claimed the spot back, but yeah she better step up soon

19 hours ago, mokitsu said:

wait bc Fkn around is a bop i didnt know existed :eek:  heart of glass is a biT overrated imo, i dont think the shouty version works. the others are great! thanks jesus ware for putting me on Murphys law :clap3:

It really is, so overlooked!

I guess it's a preference thing, it seems to be polarizing

19 hours ago, 1998tweety said:

Spill on Babylon, I thought Fadga was losing her touch but she proved me wrong there. I've heard a lot of good things about Roisin but I still haven't gotten the chance to check her out, expecting excellence :gaycat5:

Roisin's album is different to other disco esque records for me, much more electronic and monumental, it feels like a one long DJ set, but it's amazing

19 hours ago, fireaero said:

Babylon  :clap3: 

GAY bop :clap3:

19 hours ago, Madame X said:

yeah the final version of babylon is better than the demo.  it has that cheesy house sax that i luv.

this update is full of all good songs.  miley's cover is probably better than... 80% of the album in actuality.  oops!  the megan collab was a bop, kinda wish she had at least one song like it on her debut.

you know an album's gonna be a classic when you dont know what song to pick from it!  im glad you went with murphy's law though.

and re: your last comment.  i will stand by this... i can't stop me > la di da

Exactly, don't really get the haus labs obsession though it would be nice ot have it as a bonus

I'm glad she strategically added HoG to PH on streaming, cause more people might discover it kii

Megan absolutely bodies this funk vibe, I really want more of it

Re: Ouch! Definitely definitely not :mandown:

19 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Babylon this low gksipdh;d but spill the album version >>> the haus rats one

Couldn't push myself to place Fadga higher :) 

19 hours ago, Claw said:

Babylon is probably her best song since ARTPOP or BTW to me. I don't know if others feel this way

Indeed hard to choose a pick from R. Machine. I don't think I've heard that Meg song

Well I certainly do, however Perfect Illusion has some spot to, but I'm dropping it as soon as Kevin's demo leaks :mandown:

18 hours ago, Psycho said:

Babylon best song indeed :clap3: and agreed, the final version > Haus Labs Demo :fan:
Heart of Glass great cover :clap3:
Murphy's Law is the only sing I heard from her but it was a bop I fear
Love Not Loving You severe serve :clap3:

The acclaim whew, I think you could like Jealousy from Roisin :fan: 

17 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

babylon and heart of glass:WAP:

17 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

Babylon :jonny6: such a serve 

Heart of Glass :clap3:

Classics I fear!

17 hours ago, austinsuxx said:

tea Babylon album > that overrated haus labs version 

Period!

16 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Babylon is a banger :jonny: 

Love Not Loving You :clap3: I'm still waiting for album tho :rip: 

Murphy's Law :katie2: 

We all are, she said next year, but that doesnt give much :skull:

15 hours ago, Reinvention said:

Your graphics are so cute. :dancehall: Nice work.

I have the same prob with "Babylon" - overplayed it and now so over it lol. In other world it would be in my own top 25 but alas, it is not.

Thanks, all inspired by Future Nostalgia!

Yup, I just felt like it would be unfair to snub it now

14 hours ago, luckystrike said:

Babylon one of the best on that aged alberm :emofish: also never got around to checking out Roisin, will do someday. Foxes making it tho :clap3: not my fave song by her but I definitely bopped to it when it came out

Chromatica was really a miss for me outside of Babylon and Replay :emofish:

11 hours ago, Legend E said:

kpop songs that all sound the same is different than 'gems'

babylon and love not loving you are cute. heart of glass is also good but i prefer zombie.

ANYWAYs... you will see the light one day and I'll laugh :fan: 

10 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

sksks the curse of overplaying songs. Babylon is so good. Murphy's Law is a great Roisin pick. And Love Not Loving You is, of course, pretty flawless too! Screaming at you basically dragging her (and the song lowkey) in your write-up tho. Friends in the Corner is pretty good! And Hollywood is fun for a dramatic moment!

Miley's Heart of Glass cover... I honestly can't get into it. Probably because I kinda have always hated Miley's voice and the way she sings the beginning is "WHATA LAAAAAAAAUVVVVVV AND IT WAS A GAS!!!!" Please stop screaming.

Uhh like I definitely like it and these new songs aren't that bad, but I still look at her through the excellence of Glorious (and Body Talk) so I kinda have higher expectations

Yeah I noticed the cover is very polarizing and you either love it or hate it. I usually don't like overtly screamy songs/covers (noting I hate Demi or even Xtina for that) and Miley attempting that on such a classic was risky, but for me it paid of and her voice is really strong and full of attitude, she just handles it well.

10 hours ago, Ava Max said:

Babylon :clap3:

we still need the Haus Labs version

It's never coming :fan: 

8 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Murphy's Law was a cool track. Probably one of the few I actually liked from the record.

I thought the whole record was fine, but Murphy's Law is a stand out

7 hours ago, Smilers said:

haven't heard Wonho but the rest of your set are flawless :gaycat1: I don't like Miley's cover tbh, her relentless shouting is too overbearing and grating imo

Wonho very quick poppy listen :fan: 

I thought it gives it some attitude, I love it!

7 hours ago, Remmy said:

Miley's Heart of Glass cover is good, maybe a tad overhyped but I have no major complaints, especially when it's just a cover at the end of the day. Babylon :gaycat2: Love Not Loving You mmm glad it hit me instantly because I would've been crushed if she came back with a flop after so many years.

I'm still waiting for miss Louisa Rose Allen to give something more :fan: 

4 hours ago, potent said:

LNLY is a huge bop, glad to see her being appreciated here :clap3:

Babylon is def one of the best from Chromatica, I think it's just like... not as annoying to listen to as others lol

Yeah I actually noticed LNLY on many lists and I'm glad!

Exactly :fan: 

50 minutes ago, ikiru said:

Babylon is so good :clap3:

Miley's cover is incredible! Her voice fits perfectly! :jonny5:

Finally some proper Heart of Glass acclaim, I come back to it a lot :jonny:

45 minutes ago, Pink Matter said:

Murphy's Law :jonny5:

Masterpiece :clap3:

8 minutes ago, Kevin2803 said:

Wait, your 35th place has like 300 plays? Do you listen to music all day? :bloo:

Love Not Loving You :heart:

I'm not ranking my music by the amount of plays! It's definitely a factor I care about, but my thoughts on certain songs really change over time and I tend to overplay songs in short amount of time after they come out. For example Murphy's Law by Roisin which is on my list for the most of the year was out as an 8 minute version, even if I spend a lot of time with it my plays will be definitely lower than for a 3 minute song :gaycat1:

Thank you for the comments :heart2:

Today more Kpop as per @Legend E request!

qHgXcj4.jpg

TXT really snapped the most this year out of all boy groups, it's undeniable for me and I'm so glad I properly got into them. Their second mini this year definitely isn't as strong as Eternity, but Ghosting is a massive stand out in their discography!

GjDR2y7.jpg

How was this song not a title actually blows my mind. I'm probably in the minority that loves Mmmh, but Nothing On Me is more instant, the production is immaculate, it's a striking mega bop and my favorite song on the mini.

GLLRnM3.jpg

I mentioned earlier that KAI did TAEMIN better than TAEMIN himself, because his mini ended up being better than both parts of Tae's project, yet I can't deny that Criminal is perfection and probably his best song to date.

aKYNUoY.jpg

My last entry for LOONA this year (spoiler!), but undeniably their most eventful, catchy and well produced release this year. Star proudly stands on the pedestal of best Kpop synth-pop bangers this year (aka Physical/Blinding Lights rip offs) and I'm so happy it actually gets some push in the US. It won't do much let's be real, but it might gain LOONA some attention they deserve. And of course Star > Voice mainly, because of the English hook being more effective.

hbNQlgc.jpg

Both YUBIN and YUKIKA floored me with their singular city pop releases in past 2 years - Lady & Neon. I've been rooting for them to deliver full city-pop records that would knock me off my feet, sadly only the latter did, while the former slipped and switched to some generic soulless crap. Soul Lady is a flawless record and its title track is just one of many highlights.

Edited by BlackoutZone

omg the 1-2-3-4-5 punch, flawless update :jonny5:

I absolutely adore all the songs, and I‘m glad to see some Yukika love! :heart2:

20 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

VB7riOy.jpg

Never expected a live cover to make it to my Best Of, but here we are. Miley absolutely floored me with her interpretation of the Debbie Harry classic. It's really hard to touch such iconic and difficult song, perform it so differently and succeed exceeding expectations, congrats Miley.

:jonny5: don't really know kpop so can't wait to see the full top 50 songs list :clap3:

All of them but especially SE-OUL LADY, the absolute taste :clap3:

55 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Criminal is perfection and probably his best song to date.

Clockwork begs to differ...

oaJ2g351.thumb.jpg.a3f4510658f0741a6b932

All great :clap3:

Star much lower than I thought you would have it :eek:

five 10/10 songs :jonny:  although i dont agree that criminal and nothing on me are the best :fan:

where is talent aka Sunmi? 

Star and Soul Lady :clap3:

ghosting was definitely the best song from the txt EP

Edited by bestfiction

Pporippippam made the top 10? :jonny5:

Love Yukika the queen of city pop, the whole album was immaculate but Soul Lady was def the standout. Kai, Taemin, and TXT eating as well; boys kinda served this year huh. :yum:

Miley's album was dope!

I really wish I liked Criminal more. I assume it's just Taemin's "style", but I don't care for how his vocals get drowned in production due to them being so light. I love the ~energy~ of Criminal, though! 

Star is, IMO, LOONA's best OT12 song and the only thing that could really hope to compete with the solos pre-debut. It really surprised me (in a good way) how much better the English version of the song is. Star and voice are the same song, yet Star just feels stronger.

I might have to revisit Yukika's album because...while I like it, most city pop doesn't hit instantly for me. I like it well enough, but it doesn't really floor me or anything. From that album, Shade was actually my favorite because it took a darker approach to city pop which is something I need explored more! Still, to deny Yukika made a good city pop record would be delusional, and I think she started something in K-Pop. :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Today more Kpop as per @Legend E request!

MENTAL ILLNESS

I'LL CONTINUE WITH THIS FONT THEN TO MAKE YOUR THREAD UGLY JUST LIKE MINE

THE LOONA SONG WAS QUITE GOOD BUT NO MORE K-POP PLEASE THANK YOU BYE

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Legend E said:

MENTAL ILLNESS

I'LL CONTINUE WITH THIS FONT THEN TO MAKE YOUR THREAD UGLY JUST LIKE MINE

THE LOONA SONG WAS QUITE GOOD BUT NO MORE K-POP PLEASE THANK YOU BYE

SIZE*

3 hours ago, Legend E said:

SIZE*

:deadbanana: 

I actually can comment this time: YES YUKIKA YES TALENT!!!!!!!!!

Also I thought about it a bit more, I'll give Miley a bit more credit for Heart of Glass for making it her own instead of just trying to copy/paste Debbie's style. Still not for me though! WHATALAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.