HDD: Folklore to debut with +650K

Tistotal

30 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

She's by far the biggest female act in the USA this century, she is releasing her 8th studio album with these numbers and you call this "one last hurrah". Okay

Wasn’t that person yelping about people bringing up Drake’s numbers? A mess.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nova_23

• mcohen

• onewillowsilk

• Buffy

1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

She'll be the first and only artist (so far) to match the debut week numbers for Lover. How is that low? Expectations need to be more realistic moving forward because most major artists who used to easily do 500K+ units in their debut weeks won't be able to do that as consistently anymore, if at all. Physical sales keeps taking a hit year after year in the US. 

Oh of course these numbers are anything but low, but for her they're "low" since she hasn't had a debut less 850K since 2008, and I don't mean that in a shady way.

I actually expected her next album after Lover to see a decrease since that's where it looked like she was trending, so I'm on board with your opinion actually. The only reason I now expect it to do more is because the album's streaming numbers have been surprisingly astronomically high. As for the comment on physical sales, you're absolutely right, but Taylor's demographic still purchases music, and they're also dedicated enough to buy multiple copies if there's an incentive (even as simple as alternate covers), so I think the lack of physical copies is reducing what could be an even bigger debut. Even with all that, 650K is an AMAZING number.

1 minute ago, Pop Art said:

Oh of course these numbers are anything but low, but for her they're "low" since she hasn't had a debut less 850K since 2008, and I don't mean that in a shady way.

I actually expected her next album after Lover to see a decrease since that's where it looked like she was trending, so I'm on board with your opinion actually. The only reason I now expect it to do more is because the album's streaming numbers have been surprisingly astronomically high. As for the comment on physical sales, you're absolutely right, but Taylor's demographic still purchases music, and they're also dedicated enough to buy multiple copies if there's an incentive (even as simple as alternate covers), so I think the lack of physical copies is reducing what could be an even bigger debut. Even with all that, 650K is an AMAZING number.

Acts like Taylor will always have strong opening weeks for their singles/albums. Strong in the sense that even if they don't have massive opening weeks like they used to, they'll still be the ones with the strongest opening weeks out of everyone else in the industry. I think that's impressive. 

Personally, I don't think we should focus that much on opening weeks anymore anyways. We're in the streaming era now and more than ever before, the success of an album isn't dictated by it's debut week. No album is achieving multiplatinum status if it isn't consistent in consumption weeks/months after it's release and that rings even truer for streaming-era albums. I think Taylor can break the streaming record for female albums. She's off to a really great start already. 

The music industry :clap3:

Taylor is untouchable lol

8 minutes ago, dussymob said:

Wasn’t that person yelping about people bringing up Drake’s numbers? A mess.

Reading comprehension is important. 

53 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

I just saw this comment on another forum:

What do u think?

“It's not entirely without physical copies - as there are plenty of physicals available on Taylor's website, and they count twice (since they include a separate digital download - and Billboard's rule prohibiting that doesn't take effect until August). The main thing that's "missing" here is the assortment of Target collector's editions, which have historically been a major factor for Taylor (though if IIRC, not quite as much for Lover).

Now, don't get me wrong, the number is still great for 2020 - and would be even if there WERE Target editions available. I just wanted to point out that Hits' post is a bit misleading, as it treats D2C and physical as mutually exclusive”.

no way a $10 sale will count twice just because they send a digital copy together with it

32 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Reading comprehension is important. 

Yes, and I read everything correctly. 

Huge numbers :jonny5:

This is really making Lover look like a complete utter flop :deadbanana4:

STOMP MISS SWIFT.  

c28uw8s.gif

53 minutes ago, cruelhprince said:

The music industry :clap3:

Indeed

D127-C2-E0-D39-D-4-ACA-BD03-82-AB2647461

2 hours ago, slw84 said:

80s top selling female:

tumblr_mdrpupWVuf1qj28qwo1_r1_500.gif

90s top selling female:

tumblr_neotoivblA1th0lu3o1_400.gif

00s top selling female:

34nEls3.gif

10s top selling female:

GLtWh3P.gif

LEGENDS ONLY

Edited by frenchyisback

imagine Taylor and Adele duet

I’m screaming at people who don’t stan her saying that’s low for her. Let’s focus on the fact she’s still bigger than your fav :ahh:

To think this numbers would be a ‘repeak’ for some girls...kiiii.

Edited by JesusORGod

Album artist only!

She's so massive, omg, she OWNS it. :jonny5:

Queen!!! 

To do these kind of numbers almost 15 years into your career is insane

Don't get me wrong but I was afraid Republic would stop investing on her after the investment Lover had and disappointment it brought.

She redeemed herself tho!

This music is not my cup of tea but I'm glad she's back on top and smashing Scooter's record with Ariana's tyn

Edited by Hidden

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.