⭐ ATRL's Song Contest ⭐ Winner revealed (pg.424)

thecptz

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Navyofbadgals

• Overprotected

• miguel

Charli XCX - detonate

i mean, slightly more interesting than the other charli song but still unremarkable

Rachel Platten - Beating Me Up

the soccer mom JUMPED out on this one, inoffensive but unremarkable 

You – The songs is probably a little too busy production wise, and a little too clunky in terms of lyrical content and Charli’s vocal delivery, but at its core the song is still very much listenable and something that I can appreciate for what it is. To compare it to an essay, it’s a solid rough draft that would have benefitted from more careful editing.

Fear of Being Alone – I didn’t care for this song when I listened to it yesterday, but I tried it again today and I kinda like it. I feel as though there were certain choices that were made that I don’t necessarily agree with (primarily the delivery of the part of the chorus where Stella says “Got me staying when I know” and “Got me never letting go”. Regardless, the bigger issue for me is that I’m not sure if this songs meets the threshold to be considered a toxic relationship. Has the relationship run its course? Sure. But I don’t think that necessarily makes it toxic.  

Stay Away – This song definitely sounds like a product of its time, and I don’t mean that in a negative way. There’s a very clear pubescent melodrama aspect to the song that puts you in the mind of thinking back to your first heartbreak (or what you thought was heartbreak at the time). The Lana-esque delivery of some of the lines where Charli is essentially talking is somewhat distracting, but it doesn’t diminish the quality of the entry.  

Dead Horse – There are definitely redeemable aspects to this track, but something about it just feels soulless to me. Maybe it’s just because of the sonic direction Hayley has chosen to go with here, but everything about the song just feels inconsequential. It doesn’t really demand my attention, and I find myself getting distracted while listening to it.

Set Me Free (Feel My Pain) – Like Stay Away, Set Me Free is another song that sounds like it would fit during an emotional scene on a CW show, or fit in a fanmade YouTube video about a couple on said CW show. I think that Set Me Free is probably the most expertly executed of the Charli songs provided here, without the distracting quirks that don’t necessarily pay off in the other ones.

Love Foolish – This is another song that grew on me overnight. I think the song is pretty solid, but I will say that I am not a fan of the spoken aspects of the chorus. I feel like it kind of kills some of the energy on the track.

Can’t Help But Notice – Once again, I hated this song yesterday, but I think it’s pretty ok now that I listen to it again. With that said, Tatiana Hazel’s vocals here make me “dizzy” for lack of a better word. At this point, I’m not sure where this will fall for me.

Babylon – I think that Babylon stands out in this group because of the layers that it provides lyrically. Rather than simply focus on a toxic romantic relationship, SZA also alludes to a toxic family dynamic that has impacted the way that she feels about life and herself.  

Sleepwalker – I will commend you for sending the song of a man (and one that was part of a manufactured boy band for a Nickelodeon TV show no less). I wish I could commend you for sending a better song. I’m not a fan of Logan’s vocals, and this sounds like a song that could have been performed by anyone.

On The Floor – If the previous song was a risk that I don’t think will pay off, this song is a risk that I think should. I think this song stands out well against a lot of the songs in the group, and there isn’t much I can critique it on.

Lucky Escape – This definitely isn’t a bad song, but I do wish it left a stronger impression. In a lot of ways, it’s just there.

The Crying Game – This was the only song in this group that I had saved on spotify before I started listening to anything. I definitely am a fan of this track, but I’m not entirely sure where this will fall when all is said and done.

Smoke and Mirrors – Honestly this song is overrated by a lot of Demi stans, and was at one point also overrated by me. I don’t think it’s a bad song by any means, but I don’t see it sneaking into my Top 10.

Bulletproof – I’m kinda on the fence about the toxicity of this relationship, but I liked the song. I felt like she could have elevated it by powering through the chorus instead of ending it on such a weak note with “I’m not Bulletproof”.

Think of Me – I didn’t care for the first ~30 seconds of this song on first listen because it seems very off-kilter, but the rest of the song is literal perfection and I have been playing it nonstop since I heard it.

Back Together – I feel like SZA voice is getting drowned in the production on this track, which takes away from some of its enjoyability for me. Beyond that, as far as “toxic” relationships go, I’m not sure if this meets the criteria of it exactly. SZA herself seems to be very blasé about the topic she’s singing about here.

Mind Games – I don’t typically understand BANKS hype, but I enjoyed this song. I will say that there are definitely more “gripping” entries here though so we will say where it falls.

Depeche Mode - Halo

oh i really like this, really stands out

Mahalia - What You Did

it's cute, inoffensive but unremarkable [2]

Amber Mark - Lose My Cool

i really don't care for this, came and went

Victoria Monét - No Good

ok this is cute, will probably rank in my lower top 10

Sky Ferreira - Ain't Your Right

how is she not banned yet? we-

anyway i really enjoyed this, yup yup

MUNA - Crying On The Bathroom Floor

i like this a lot too, it's very captivating

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood- this is kinda good. sometimes it's just noisey :giraffe:

Madonna - Words- idk why someone would listen to this on purpose:mazen:

Skylar Grey - Final Warning- i actually like this. the chorus was kinda awkward, like it needs to be polished or sumn.

Charli XCX - detonate- all the effects are a bit much. she needs to edit and tone it down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.