⭐ ATRL's Song Contest ⭐ Winner revealed (pg.424)

thecptz

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Navyofbadgals

• Overprotected

• miguel

Jorja Smith - Blue Lights

Pleasant listen, a little bit boring at times, but I did like it overall.

Halsey - Nightmare

Probably her best song ever.  Perfectly portrays her message

Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On

Definitely a classic :shook:  Good choice, still holds up today

Madonna - God Control

I don't like the starting part where she's kind of mumbling?  It turning into a disco bop was a cool concept though. 

M.I.A. - Paper Planes

Controversial opinion time... I don't like this that much.  Maybe i've heard it too often?  Idk, but its good for this round, just not a personal fave.

Solange - Almeda

Another unpopular opinion?  This album is my favourite of hers.  I like how it looks inward and conveys message of self-love and healing.  This is a PERFECT example of it, and possibly my #1 of the round.

Interesting selection of songs, good overall!  I'm glad to see my critiques too :keir:

The Fear: I live for this song, and while I definitely think it's social commentary, I'm not sure if it is necessarily political or protest oriented. 

Born Free: I'm willing to admit that maybe my taste just isn't that great, but I really just didn't care for this song sonically. 

Follow Your Arrow: I found this song to be cute, though I think it lacks the strong punch that some of the other songs have (both in terms of lyrical content and melodically) 

What About Us: I kinda like this song, but it would be an uphill battle to convince me that this is political in any meaningful sense of the word. 

Chained to the Rhythm: People are gonna drag me for this, but I love it. Obviously there's a discussion to be had about whether this actually fits the definition of "purposeful pop," but ironically, this song is more on theme than a lot of entries. 

Headphone Season: I really don't vibe with the sound, and it feels lyrically clunky. I get what you were going for though. 

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God): This song is amazing, but it definitely requires me to do some of the legwork for you to view this as a political song (though I understand that a case could be made for this being about gender discrimination/differences)

Edited by Rotunda

Timor: I hated this on first listen, but this was kinda enjoyable on second listen? I'm not sure exactly where this will fall for me. 

The Blacker The Berry: A smart and effective choice. 

Mississippi Goddam: I thought about sending this at one point, and it probably would have been the better choice. 

Janet Jackson:  The song is fine, I feel like I would have gone for a song with a stronger message. 

Blue Lights: I didn't pay attention to the lyrics the first time I heard this months ago, but this was a good entry. 

Nightmare: Definitely a heavy hitter for this round 

What's Going On: A good choice, but it didn't leave as strong of an impression on me as other songs in this lineup

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.