UK mid: #1 Gaga with 45.6k (in 5 days)

Starkboy

19 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

If no big releases are coming in the next few weeks, I hope it spends 2-3 weeks on top. :dancehall:

I think it can hold for a 2nd week unless it drops more than 80%, is there any major threat at sight?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikeymoonshine

• State of Grace.

• Starkboy

• Mariano

On 6/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, gab00 said:

By the way uk sales are on the pits :rip: bieber 21k? Purpose did like 900k there yikes

dua also should've done more. Or is she a singles artist?

UK are truly the pits:dies: an album can smash in streaming and yet it's barely counted. And ofc physical.mp3 and digital copies outside of debut weeks are next to zero too :rip: 

Dua had 3 top10s for 3 weeks, the probably wasn't even that the album in itself did bad, but it looks low bc she just will never have the pure sales foothold that the older generation has :cm: so newer artists will always have a harder time in the UK with album sales considering streaming still isn't weighed much.

Chromatica looks good (as it should, it's doing rlly great numbers) as it has huge pure + strong streaming.

22 hours ago, Katamari said:

sales are just down cause the corona stuff as well as general decline from years on end. The charts are about longevity now more than ever. Dua's album wasnt that big either but its hard to say since the biggest non-phenomena albums  of 2018/2019 only did like 600k units for those years and dua was nowhere near that high on the year end. 

What do you mean, DL1 has been consistently near the top20 (as it is right now for example) since New Rules...album sales simply are depressing in the UK outside of opening weeks. and if you're mentioning FN, it's already #7 on the Year-End 2020, 110k+ sold and DL1 is #19 on the 2020 Year-End too :rip: and also didn't have any physical copies in its debut week either.

The UK charts are about longevity, but a really slow one. 

37 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

If no big releases are coming in the next few weeks, I hope it spends 2-3 weeks on top. :dancehall:

I don't see any album 10k+ and she's probably doing tht

2 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

UK are truly the pits:dies: an album can smash in streaming and yet it's barely counted. And ofc physical.mp3 and digital copies outside of debut weeks are next to zero too :rip: 

Dua had 3 top10s for 3 weeks, the probably wasn't even that the album in itself did bad, but it looks low bc she just will never have the pure sales foothold that the older generation has :cm: so newer artists will always have a harder time in the UK with album sales considering streaming still isn't weighed much.

Chromatica looks good (as it should, it's doing rlly great numbers) as it has huge pure + strong streaming.

What do you mean, DL1 has been consistently near the top20 (as it is right now for example) since New Rules...album sales simply are depressing in the UK outside of opening weeks. and if you're mentioning FN, it's already #7 on the Year-End 2020, 110k+ sold and DL1 is #19 on the 2020 Year-End too :rip: and also didn't have any physical copies in its debut week either.

The UK charts are about longevity, but a really slow one. 

DL1 had good single success but it didnt set sales on fire is what I meant. That user asked if she was a singles artist drag him not me  :thing:

UK (and other countries like Australia) have **** sales because they shot their own foot with conservative streaming rules and clearly being anti-streaming.

1 minute ago, Katamari said:

DL1 had good single success but it didnt set sales on fire is what I meant. That user asked if she was a singles artist drag him not me  :thing:

not dragging, just clearing any confusion yup

giphy.gif

They really need to change certifications criteria now for albums :rip: 

18 hours ago, Katamari said:

In the UK DL1 is one of the few Multi-platinum albums of the streaming era, though.

UK is here for CHROMATICA.. :1stplace:

And don't y'all use the collab argument cause that's useless :laugh:

21 hours ago, iHype. said:

UK (and other countries like Australia) have **** sales because they shot their own foot with conservative streaming rules and clearly being anti-streaming.

it’s not anti-streaming it literally makes sense. Why should the success of 1 single inflate the sales of an album if no one else is streaming the rest of the album? What they should do is lower the certification thresholds. 

Thursday Top 40 Update
Missing Data: Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Wednesday)

Singles

1 DaBaby feat. Roddy Ricch - ROCKSTAR (48.7k)
2 Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande - Rain On Me (43.7k)
3 S1mba feat. DTG - Rover (30.6k)
4 Drake - Toosie Slide (27.7k)
5 Powfu feat. beabeadoobee - death bed (coffee for your head) (26.1k)

6-10
6 Topic & A7S - Breaking Me
7 AJ Tracey feat. MoStack - Dinner Guest
9 Tion Wayne feat. Dutchavelli & Stormzy - I Dunno *

11-20
15 220 KID & GRACEY - Don't Need Love
16 Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar
17 Lady Gaga & BLACKPINK - Sour Candy *
18 Regard & RAYE - Secrets

21-30
24 Tones and I - Dance Monkey
25 StaySolidRocky - Party Girl
26 Ava Max - Kings & Queens
27 Surf Mesa feat. Emilee - ily (i love you baby)
28 Lady Gaga - Alice *
30 Young T & Bugsey feat. Headie One - Don't Rush

31-40
33 Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
36 Aitch - 30 *
37 Niko B - Who's That What's That
40 Dua Lipa - Physical ^

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Albums

1 Lady Gaga - Chromatica (48.8k) *
2 KSI - Dissimulation (6.2k)
3 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (5.2k)
4 Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia (5.0k)
5 Harry Styles - Fine Line (4.1k)

6-10
6 Kygo - Golden Hour *
8 Aitch - Polaris *
10 Fleetwood Mac - 50 Years: Don't Stop

Edited by State of Grace.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, Otter said:

Is it coming for Lemonade numbers? :cupid:

I guess not, but hella impressive for it to be standing next to Ari and Taylors recent numbers.

This album has the potential to have legs, I really hope they push the right singles

2 hours ago, AidanUnderYou said:

it’s not anti-streaming it literally makes sense. Why should the success of 1 single inflate the sales of an album if no one else is streaming the rest of the album? What they should do is lower the certification thresholds. 

The UK rules are tremendously stupid and there’s a reason no other country has similar rules 

:rip: 

Weighing down the most popular tracks AND limiting the amount of tracks that count. They’re literally saying “well an album can be played 100 times but we’re only going to pretend 60 plays counted”. Absolutely nonsensical to pretend certain streams didn’t happen. 

And hits have always inflated album performance. There is a reason nearly every artists best selling albums... are the ones with their biggest hits. Having a big hit drives sales... so obviously it would drive streams. 

UK’s market is growing each year (in consumption and in revenue) yet the numbers for albums are decreasing each year because of rules that are meant to specifically push pure sales, a dying format. 

9 minutes ago, iHype. said:

The UK rules are tremendously stupid and there’s a reason no other country has similar rules 

:rip: 

Weighing down the most popular tracks AND limiting the amount of tracks that count. They’re literally saying “well an album can be played 100 times but we’re only going to pretend 60 plays counted”. Absolutely nonsensical to pretend certain streams didn’t happen. 

And hits have always inflated album performance. There is a reason nearly every artists best selling albums... are the ones with their biggest hits. Having a big hit drives sales... so obviously it would drive streams. 

UK’s market is growing each year (in consumption and in revenue) yet the numbers for albums are decreasing each year because of rules that are meant to specifically push pure sales, a dying format. 

Honey nah... 

I usually agree with you, but this time I'm surprised you disagree with such a good rule. 

A lot of albums are only on Bb200 cuz of 1 hit or max 2 hits. These 2 singles are already reflected on the Hot 100 and their repeated streams should NOT count as "album" units.... it will never make sense.

UK got it right on this :clap3:  Maybe you can disagree with the exact way they are doing it and maybe they should adapt/change the methodology a bit, but at its core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BB200 counting singles twice on the Hot 100 and also on BB200. 

P.S. a big hit will still boost the album either way, without the need of fake "album sales". 

Edited by Mariano

15 minutes ago, Mariano said:

A lot of albums are only on Bb200 cuz of 1 hit or max 2 hits. These 2 singles are already reflected on the Hot 100 and their repeated streams should NOT count as "album" units.... it will never make sense.

The songs are apart of the albums. You’re suggesting that only certain parts of an album should count as being streamed. Do you hear how nonsensical that is? 

UK is notorious for horrendously dumb rules. This is also the same company that decided to create a rule where at some point a songs streams get halved so they leave a chart earlier. They think it is logical popularity to have a song on the singles chart go 1-1-1-1-1-10 while still being #1 on Spotify because they’re simply tired of it charting high for a few months. 

UK’s chart company clearly has no clue how to handle streaming and it’s a compete kii to think they did anything with streaming correctly :rip:

1 minute ago, iHype. said:

The songs are apart of the albums. You’re suggesting that only certain parts of an album should count as being streamed. Do you hear how nonsensical that is? 

UK is notorious for horrendously dumb rules. This is also the same company that decided to create a rule where at some point a songs streams get halved so they leave a chart earlier. They think it is logical popularity to have a song on the singles chart go 1-1-1-1-1-10 while still being #1 on Spotify because they’re simply tired of it charting high for a few months. 

UK’s chart company clearly has no clue how to handle streaming and it’s a compete kii to think they did anything with streaming correctly :rip:

I thought the songs (the singles) are counted, its just that their total is being reduced to the average of the album. The better the rest of the tracks are streaming apart from the singles, the higher the average. 

I think that's fair. I think it's a lot more nonsensical for an album to be selling tens of thousands of "album units" cuz of 1 hit being streamed repeatedly. That's BS sis... 

I agree with your other point, that's dumb indeed, but when some song has proven to be a smash hit, then who cares how long it stays on the charts..? But yeah if they wanna show popularity real time - then yeah it's dumb.

But I like the way they handle albums. At least better than BB200 I guess, but I don't hate BB200 either, usually the problem is more with artists whose album tracks really don't stream at all... yet they have 1 big hit. If it's someone like Ari or Billie or Post etc. then I don't think it's that much of a problem, but still the singles are heavily inflating album units. 

3 minutes ago, Mariano said:

I think that's fair. I think it's a lot more nonsensical for an album to be selling tens of thousands of "album units" cuz of 1 hit being streamed repeatedly. That's BS sis... 

The 1990s (and most other decades) had one hit wonders albums going Platinum because of literally one hit. People didn’t have the internet to illegally download and singles were produced in limited quantities for a limited period. 

Majority of people who bought albums in general listened to them fully once (maybe twice) then only revisited 2 or 3 favorite songs. People have always consumed albums mostly for 2 or 3 songs. People don’t just listen to full albums on a normal basis unless you absolutely love the artist. 

Creating rules where 2 or 3 songs can’t boost an albums success on streaming is dumb because it was always this way even with sales. People bought full albums but only played a few songs. 

UK has terrible streaming rules altogether, and you can see with an act like Dua. She is a huge household name in UK, had THREE songs top 10 once, and is coming off one of the biggest female eras there in history and yet her album is barely Gold. :toofunny2:  She clearly is smashing hard there yet she’ll struggle to even go 1x Platinum. 

UK’s music consumption is growing yearly and so is the revenue, thus it doesn’t make sense that albums are doing worse than ever. However they made a bunch of nonsensical rules so that’s what happens — you get a false reality on the charts that doesn’t align with actual numbers. 

1 minute ago, iHype. said:

The 1990s (and most other decades) had one hit wonders albums going Platinum because of literally one hit. People didn’t have the internet to illegally download and singles were produced in limited quantities for a limited period. 

Majority of people who bought albums in general listened to them fully once (maybe twice) then only revisited 2 or 3 favorite songs. People have always consumed albums mostly for 2 or 3 songs. People don’t just listen to full albums on a normal basis unless you absolutely love the artist. 

Creating rules where 2 or 3 songs can’t boost an albums success on streaming is dumb because it was always this way even with sales. People bought full albums but only played a few songs. 

UK has terrible streaming rules altogether, and you can see with an act like Dua. She is a huge household name in UK, had THREE songs top 10 once, and is coming off one of the biggest female eras there in history and yet her album is barely Gold. :toofunny2:  She clearly is smashing hard there yet she’ll struggle to even go 1x Platinum. 

UK’s music consumption is growing yearly and so is the revenue, thus it doesn’t make sense that albums are doing worse than ever. However they made a bunch of nonsensical rules so that’s what happens — you get a false reality on the charts that doesn’t align with actual numbers. 

I mean you made some points. The first part of your post I get that, but that was in a time where people had to buy the entire album as you yourself said. I guess it's not perfect, but BB200 isn't ideal either. 

The repetition of streams of the same songs + the fact that it's also the same people (for the most part) streaming these songs should definitely be counted differently than it currently is.. there should be a rule for unique listeners to count more than repetitions and if an album really is having only 1 big song then there should be a certain equalizer like a small % discount or something idk. 

But I get your point now, especially Dua's case and I agree! It should be changed, but not to the extent of BB200. 

7 hours ago, lawmak said:

In the UK DL1 is one of the few Multi-platinum albums of the streaming era, though.

oh wow didnt know it went double platinum

slay then Dual Grammys

lawmak

there're difference btw, people actually buying album vs people listn

15 hours ago, iHype. said:

afterall there's huge difference btw buying album vs buying/streaming "1" song.  

people back then buying album for 1 song and counted is still very legit album consumption because they bought album.

having hit single in 2020 also help album sales,streaming. same as it did in 2000 or 1980. same indirect benefit.

Also people in 2020 in general simply not into album consumption as people back in the day.

so that is reflected on the album sales. that's all. 

CHROMATICA - 52,907 (#1)

2 RAIN ON ME
17 SOUR CANDY 
29 ALICE

15 minutes ago, popmusic said:

CHROMATICA - 52,907 (#1)

2 RAIN ON ME
17 SOUR CANDY 
29 ALICE

:worship:

16 minutes ago, popmusic said:

CHROMATICA - 52,907 (#1)

2 RAIN ON ME
17 SOUR CANDY 
29 ALICE

Same numbers as Lover :clap3:

Highest charting K-Pop singles in the UK

#1 Gangnam Style

#10 Gentleman

#13 Boy With Luv

#17 Sour Candy

51 minutes ago, popmusic said:

CHROMATICA - 52,907 (#1)

2 RAIN ON ME
17 SOUR CANDY 
29 ALICE

is it the final number?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.