Diversity 2 | WINNER: Janelle Monáe (Dessy)

luckystrike

z954Y7m.png

Spoiler

Kacey Musgraves: This sounds like a pretty generic female country song to me. It's a pleasant listen and I like it, but didn't blow me away.

Ariana Grande: Eh. I feel like if you're gonna justify sending a remix of an already released song (which is a lazy choice IMO), it needs to be amazing, and this is just alright. The original is significantly better.

Celine Dion: This is a nice listen and it's catchy at parts, but quite forgettable to me. Like I'm not at all left thinking that this should have been released.

Rihanna: This is interesting. It definitely feels unfinished, but it has potential, and I could imagine it being an interlude or more complete song on an album.

Katy Perry: I like this and can pretty easily see it being officially released. A bit generic, but otherwise it's quite good.

Lorde: It's cute at times but also really boring at other times. The ending is cool though, it bumped this up for me a bit.

Nicki Minaj: This is really good. The first song so far that I actively think should have been given an official release.

Hyuna: This is a BOP, wow. The fact that it was an officially released single gives it an unfair advantage over the other songs this round, though, so I have to dock it a bit. But it's very good.

Carrie Underwood:  Her voice is very pretty here, but the song itself is kind of boring. I like the chorus though.

Alicia Keys: I really like this. The harmonies are very nice and the instrumental is cute. Another one that I think deserved a proper release.

Janelle Monae: Oh my god this is GREAT. She sounds great, the instrumental is great, and I love the Disney princess vibe it gives. Why did she never release this!? Easily the best of the round so far.

Miguel: Ok finally this round is picking up! This is also very good. It's catchy, sultry and interesting. Should have been officially released.

Taylor Swift: Okay I know it's unreleased and so I shouldn't judge vocals too much, but the vocals are NOT it on the verses. The chorus is cute enough and saves this a bit, but overall this is very forgettable.

Fantasia: Ooh this is nice. I love the underlying bass riff and the overall instrumental. This has a nice old-timey vibe to it which I like. 

Lana Del Rey: Oh wow, wasn't expecting an upbeat song. I like this a lot and I think this would have been a great addition to an album. 

The Weeknd: This is cute. Doesn't feel like it desperately needed to be released, but it was a good listen and better than many other submissions this round.

Sigrid: This is a very solid pop song. My only slight critique is it feels sort of samey to the other Sigrid songs I've heard so I don't think it was a huge loss to her discography, but overall I really like this.

MARINA: I mean it's very polished and well-produced for a demo, but other than that, it doesn't really rise beyond cute. It was an enjoyable listen but I'm not dying to listen to it again.

Demi Lovato: Eh, this feels very bland and nothing really captured my attention. There's some nice vocal moments here and there and the ending is cute, but that's basically it.

ZAYN: Like with Demi's, this was quite boring and nothing captivated me. While Demi's at least had a cute ending, this one felt like it dragged on and never went anywhere.

Fifth Harmony: We've argued over this song before so you already know my feelings about it :eli: It's definitely a bop and I can see the argument for it deserving to make one of their albums, but it's always felt a bit dated to me. It's cute though.

Miley Cyrus: I can't really explain why, but this feels like such a typical unreleased song. Like if I had never heard a single Miley song before, I would instantly guess this was unreleased. It's not bad and it has its moments, but overall I think it deserved to stay unreleased.

Years & Years: Clean Bandit really can't make a bad song, huh? This is very catchy, BUT apparently this exact song ended up being officially released just with a different vocalist? So I have to dock a bit for that.

Tinashe: It's cute! Another example of a song that I don't think needed to be released, but I could see it being released. It's a nice pop song.

Girls Aloud: Flop.

LOONA: Opposite from a lot of other songs this round, I really like the verses of this but the chorus falls a bit flat for me. It's a catchy and nice song though!

Ellie Goulding: I like this! I don't think it would have been a massive addition to her discography, but I honestly like it better than some of the weaker tracks on many of her albums, which is great for an unreleased track.

Kelly Clarkson: Ugh I thought I was going to LOVE this based on the first verse, but the chorus was a let down. Still a pretty strong entry though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckystrike

• thecptz

• Dessy

• Alena

i- well shes a country singer

thanks shelven :heart2:

2 hours ago, luckystrike said:

Miguel: This was a cute choice, I bopped to it most of the time, although I couldn’t tell who was Miguel and who was Neyo :deadbanana:

ddd yeah he's not featured, he did write the song but i'm not sure as to why the person who uploaded put it as a feat :deadbanana2:

wtf why is it that someone can send in a demo of a released song but i cant send in a scrapped unreleased version of  song @luckystrike. Y&Y did a demo of Stronger and it got scrapped and they chose a different vocalist. how is that any different the sending in a demo, in fact, choosing a demo of an actual released song is far more lazy and worse imo

4EnkxFq.jpg

Spoiler

Burn One with John Prine: It's a cute little live twangy cover. It helps her voice is great here, otherwise it wouldn't have been as cute.

Into You (Remix) ft. Mac Miller: I loved this! Yeah the formula doesn't change awfully much besides a slight speed up and some TV-series-tribute-IG-clip edit on the main song but the verse works well. However it's also just a random remix of a single. Hm.

Love You Blind: Normally I'd hate some of the severely outdated elements here, but Celine lives a nice showgirl-ish fantasy that I am fond of in the track.

Feel It: Well that was… something. I wish it was longer/a fuller demo.

Immortal Flame: It's a bit Disney at first but it's very decently produced, really nice! Just wish the chorus did a bit more with the buildup. But, again, for a demo this is great.

Sway: Sure it's a shame this demo is slightly underproduced, cuz I dig what's going on with the great high school imagery. The way it became momentarily uptempo was grating though.

Bust Down Barbiana: I love a good moment of track-long wordplay from Onika.

Change: Is this dated? Yes. But do I LIVE for a slutty sounding anthem every now and then? Also yes. Deducting a bit of score because this was a single!

Oklahoma Wind: Hm. Well. I generally can't stand this type of phone-recorded vocal take for the purpose of an """intimate""" feel or whatever. It's extremely cheap. Book studio time for god's sake! Otherwise, it's passable.

Zebras and Airplanes: A sweet, minimalistic piece of R&B. It'd make a good album track.

Cindi: Another super Disney song. Janelle sounds divine, she's living her countryside princess fantasy, I'm loving it.

Let's Just Be ft. Ne-Yo: It's a bit repetitive at points, but overall I dig this a lot. Miguel's voice really is a godsent gift, huh?

Queen of Disaster: Everyone has their own favorite stuff from Lana's expansive unreleased catalogue. And while this isn't amongst them for me, I objectively think this is one of the most solid entries this week. I appreciate the lullaby-esque atmosphere as well as the strings.

Battle: Overtly long, not very cute either.

Daydreaming: This works really well, her voice breathes so much life into it. I'm transported to a different time!

What You Need (Demo): The chorus justifies this demo. The rest is just fine.

Go to War: I'm not a huge fan of her voice here (not implying she performed poorly, tho), but I do see potential. I'm sure it would work better in a studio setting anyways.

Scab and Plaster: I don't think this is as great or noteworthy as many/most fans want to pretend it is. She has done better demos. This would be on the middle-lower end of Electra Heart had it actually made it I think.

Shut Up and Love Me: I know this is from like her early years, but the production… a choice.

I Won't Mind: SO drab, nothingy yet off-putting. I don't like anything about this sorry!

Voicemail: Quirky bop. I like it, and the solos are solid all around. Some bits are cringe but I'm willing to look past them with a hint of the charm they have.

Nightmare: A basic drop and sound we've heard a thousand times elsewhere from the likes of Calvin Harris and others circa early 2010s. That said, it strangely fits her better than it should.

Stronger: I'm a bit of an OCBH but this is sweetly produced and that's the most surprising thing about the song for me. Olly sounds good too.

Prisoner: This is properly great, how didn't it make it into an album/mixtape? I need it on streaming.

Day & Night: A very subdued take on the frantic sound of So What, but just as engaging and interesting I think. I can tell why their stans think this should've had a place in the main EP.

Kingdom: It's okay but I don't think the slower tempo does it any favors. Some girls were raving about this, weren't they?

Love in These Eyes: This shows a lot of promise initially but ends up dragging a little. But I like a slice of pop-rock from her nonetheless.

Edited by Invisibility

2 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

Burn One with John Prine: It's a cute little live twangy cover.

what do you mean by cover? she wrote this song herself

23 minutes ago, kipperskipper said:

wtf why is it that someone can send in a demo of a released song but i cant send in a scrapped unreleased version of  song @luckystrike. Y&Y did a demo of Stronger and it got scrapped and they chose a different vocalist. how is that any different the sending in a demo, in fact, choosing a demo of an actual released song is far more lazy and worse imo

maybe you shouldnt have signed up with Y&Y

Just now, thecptz said:

what do you mean by cover? she wrote this song herself

I thought it was one

thecptz

4 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

Queen of Disaster: Everyone has their own favorite stuff from Lana's expansive unreleased catalogue. And while this isn't amongst them for me, I objectively think this is one of the most solid entries this week. I appreciate the lullaby-esque atmosphere as well as the strings.

Queen of Disaster: Everyone has their favorite Lana unreleased tracks, and while this is not one of my top ones, I've always appreciate the lullaby-esque aspects of it, the strings and the bridge.

I'm so confused 

1 minute ago, Invisibility said:

I thought it was one

thecptz

well its not

LNtojhK.gif

Just now, PinkBox said:

I'm so confused 

we're all a confusion

Just now, PinkBox said:

I'm so confused 

Ajsdhajhdah your new avi

Edited

thecptz

6 minutes ago, Disruptive said:

Invisibility worst judge confirmed! 

I wouldn’t say that

p1qYHOV.png

Spoiler

Kacey Musgraves: Ok this is really cute I’m guessing this is a Slow Burn prototype or sumn? Obviously not as good as that song but still a nice choice. Her vocals also sound on point, I was a bit worried about it being a live version dd

Ariana Grande: What is DIS hunny. Surprisingly enough Mac’s verse was kinda the best part of this thing but man the production really ruins the song which btw it’s already overrated af. Maybe if you were allowed to send the Emotions cover :fan: 

Celine Dion: It’s decent I like the groovy feel of it but that’s about it, it reminds me of this Godriah song, stream!

Rihanna: I like the fact that this is really short, well hello let’s celebrate that. Anyway I don’t have a strong opinion on this, it’s not bad but there’s nothing outstanding here and I don’t really like the background noise.

Katy Perry: Sounds like a Prism album track, very bland and generic I think I would’ve liked it more if it was more a traditional ballad like at the beginning before the underwhelming chorus/beat drop.

Lorde: It passed me by on first listen ngl. It’s boring tbh but it has some interesting production elements and it does get a bit more interesting towards the end even though I’m not sure if I like the speed up moment. 

Nicki Minaj: The Barbiana rhymes are a kii. It’s short and it doesn’t really go anywhere but issa cute little bop I don’t have much to say here

Hyuna: Not a fan of the production, it makes it sound so dated I was honestly surprised to see this was released in 2018 :rip: It’s serving cheap urban song from the disney girls of 2007 and I guess in that regard it is a bit of a bop but one I would listen to ironically. 

Carrie Underwood: Well she’s serving vocals! although they get a bit too shouty for my taste. As for the song, it’s really nothing special sorry and I love country! Golden Hour was one of my favorite albums of 2018. I guess you still did good considering the round and the artist you signed up with...

Alicia Keys: Inch resting lyrics for sure, I cackled at the what do zebras and airplanes mean part nnn. The song it’s a bop tbh I was really feeling the production despite it sounding dated and demo like. 

Janelle Monae: This is so lovely I stan. I had never heard it tbh (flop stan) but it sounds like a classic I’m particularly loving the last 30 seconds :jonny:

Miguel: Talented king! His voice sounds a bit different here, I love it even though it sounds very early 00’s :jonny:

Taylor Swift: Her vocals are serving Britney’s alien demo :wendy3: ok maybe not as bad but pretty close. Now, trying to focus on the actual song, it sounds very generic Taylor which doesn’t mean it’s terrible but still quite forgettable

Fantasia: The song is cute I don’t really love it but yeah you did good. I also like her voice here a lot more than in the song from the previous round, she’s serving! 

Lana Del Rey: Um ok this is good, not the kind of sound I expected from her tbh the production kinda reminds me of an Amy Winehouse song I don’t know, it’s good, yeah, the ladies and gentlemen and the scream at the end are ugly but, small details.

The Weeknd: Not terrible but not a fan of the production you know the guitar and generic trap beat combination. The last minute is also unnecessary but whatever.

Sigrid: Low key the worst of the live versions this round at least so far. The song is whatever very repetitive lyrics and forgettable overall, I see why she didn’t release it. 

MARINA: A bop :jamming: And it doesn’t sound like a demo let’s celebrate that!

Demi Lovato: Now this here sounds like a demo, low quality and with a bad vocal mixing or maybe it’s just a bad upload? Whatever the case I’m not a fan of the song, very bland. The title reminds me to go stream Shut Up Kiss Me by Angel Olsen!

ZAYN: It’s not bad I like the background vocals, I guess I’m a little bit bored by it but still unfortunately nothing that gives me a reason to tank your score and get you out of this competition, sad.

Fifth Harmony: I’m afraid this is awful. Not only does it sound cheap but the lyrics are also pretty cringe, especially the shake it part, I hate it. Also, the way it randomly ends with a quick fade out nnn 

Miley Cyrus: Everything was alright before the chorus, it sounded like a cute little dated pop rock song but I just HATE edm drops so yeah, pass.

Years & Years: Generic, bland and dated instrumental, I don’t hate this as much but I wouldn’t listen to it ever again.

Tinashe: Omg when the song was building up I was scared of another edm drop :wendy3: This isn’t terribly bad but once again not something I would like to listen to ever again.

LOONA: This is cute I suppose

Ellie Goulding: I hate this, dull, terrible, bland, generic. Bring Madonna back!

Kelly Clarkson: I love this sound from her. If you wanna know who I am, I think that I’m just a rock chick, I like to rock out, I like to go nuts, I like to scream I like to yell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.