The Vanishing Letters | Winner: rl231

Navyofbadgals

11 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

sending in p!nk, no offense

ALL THE OFFENSE, YOU WILL STAN FOR ALECIA MOORE!!

But yeah, I get it lol. Although I will say that, objectively, I think I chose well.

Objectively.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navyofbadgals

• miguel

• thecptz

• touya kinomoto

• ATRL Moderator

thank u guys for ur comments we love u  

CRITIQUES

PART 1

Spoiler

Jannelle Monáe - Screwed

Ahhhh, perfect song for quaranty. This is definitely one of her better songs and it's such a great listen. Great choice! However, imma have to agree with Baby Z and say that Pink really was your SOTS. Still love this and how you went in a different direction with your justification.

Angele - Flou

This is better than i remember it, kii. Anyway, love your choice, especially because of the reason you stated. It's a brave send honestly but i think it totally plays in your favor because 1) it's a lil catchy bop and 2) it represents what the game is about.

Yves Tumor - Kerosene!

brave choice, i HATE it. jk. I ranked this last the round you first sent it because it was probably the best round we've had in the game and while i don't hate this at all, i liked the others much more. However, the ballsy move of sending this again along with your justification makes me appreciate it much more. It's a great sing!

Mitski - Nobody

So...... i didn't really want to say anything bad so lemme just skip the song review. You have been a strong contestant from the beginning with some questionable sends here and there, and while i'm not a fan of this particular song, i still like your justification for sending it!

PART 2

Spoiler

Banks - Godless

this is easily the best song on III and i absolutely LOVE it :jonny5:  Great sing!

Tame Impala - The Moment

this isn't a song i would run to listen to, just for the reason it isn't a genre i listen to much, but i do like this. issa really nice vibe and kinda feels like a song i would really like to listen to on a roadtrip or just on a trip hihi

Ciara - Livin' It Up

it's a basic little bop, i wouldn't mind this any other time, but for the finale... it's kinda of a copout tbh.

Frank Ocean - Self Control

ahhhh, i love this so much. it's just such a GORGEOUS sing all around. Love it :heart2: 

PART 3

Spoiler

Poppy - Iconic

i find the verses to be very cute, but the chorus is just so bubbly pop and i absolutety hate it. not to mention the lyrics :deadbanana: I get this was a hard round so you're fine but the song ain't it.

MO - I Want You

ok yeah this is much better than the previous song. nothing innovative or special but it bops and doesn't make me want to rip my ears off!

Lissie - Crazy Girl

i actually like this quite a lot, it's very cute, loved the bridge especially.

Low - Always Trying To Work It Out

i just... i just have to stan. absolutely love this, such an experience :jonny5: 

disruptive

15 minutes ago, clue said:

Love being BALLsy

tea bag me baby :drool:

24 minutes ago, disruptive said:

@touya kinomoto you're the only judge left that needs to get to judging!

hi i am currently working right now but rest assured i'll work on it after my shift. thank you. :smitten2:

34 minutes ago, disruptive said:

@touya kinomoto you're the only judge left that needs to get to judging!

Damn ma

18 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Damn ma

stfu

27 minutes ago, touya kinomoto said:

hi i am currently working right now but rest assured i'll work on it after my shift. thank you. :smitten2:

:heart2: 

maam

TOUYA'S CRITIQUES

3c34c8bf038af3965f1c293db98d5848842c5808

PART I

Spoiler

A. element - Janelle Monáe - Screwed (feat. Zoë Kravitz)

I like this song a lot and the way you related it to what is happening right now is such a kii in a great way for me. I am easily pleased by Janelle songs and this is not an exception.

I know you were almost eliminated a couple of times but you managed to stay until the end. You may have not won any rounds but you had the most number of high placements in this final four (you still have more highs even if you combine win + high for the others) so may still feel proud and say that you deserved to be here. Congratulation, ATRL's number one goulddigger!

B. Staryu - Angèle - Flou

I believe you sent this back in the non-English songs round and that was, I believe, the only round that I did not send my scores. And to be honest this is the first time I am listening to this song and it's a pleasant experience at the very least.

You started this season strongly but the last few rounds were kinda tough for you, no? But you are still here and close to winning. Congratulations!

C. clue - Yves Tumor - Kerosene!

Miss ma, I-

You sent one of the best songs in the entire season (those who still deny the greatness of Somebody Else can rot) but you sent this? I get that you want to surprise because you sent a lot of great songs this season but I am being honest when I say I really don't like this song a lot. It has grown on me since the round you sent it but for this part, I just like the other songs more.

Anyhow, with that being said, if we're just going to take into consideration what you have done the entire season, you are hands down the runaway winner. You are the only in the entire game that never placed in the bottom and that's a testament to either your taste or your familiarity of ATRL's taste. Either way, you did a great job. Congratulations!

D. rl231 - Mitski - Nobody

I will be livid if you didn't send this. You totally deserved your win that round when you sent in this song. The way that this song sounded so upbeat when it was about depression and longing, ugh, Mitski's mind!

Anyhow, you were mostly floating in the middle throughout the entire competition with your highs and safes and almost got eliminated twice but here you are. You may also have one win but you sent some songs throughout the game that could have won other rounds. You did well, miss ma. Congratulations!

PART II

Spoiler

A. Banks - Godless

This started promising. The beat was something I can vibe to on a regular day and the lyrics are great. But this is the finale. I was expecting more explosive, more instantly likable songs. I am not saying this is a bad song per se but for me, it is not clicking right away. It's one of those songs that are good and I vibe with but I won't go out of my way to purposely listen to.

B. Tame Impala - The Moment

Now this is what I am talking about attention grabbing songs. Y'all know I am a fan of retro sounding modern songs right? (stream Future Nostalgia now!) This has a nice retro touch to it without sounding dated. The instrumentals are lovely and the lyrics are good too.

C. Ciara f/ Nicki Minaj - Livin' It Up

Miss Ciara didn't deserve to flop with this album. DUI, Body Party and then this bop! Criminally underrated. Anyhow, this was a great selection. Is this finale material for me? Not so much but I like this song so much so...

D. Frank Ocean - Self-Control

The chipmunk'ed intro reminds me of Slide, a song that I love so much. Now this song, I feel like there is a lot of going on. The guitar instrumental is lovely and so are his vocals especially in that part after that interlude or whatever. But idk, I feel conflicted about this. Thank Gd for second listens.

PART III

Spoiler

A. Poppy - Iconic

cLIzsDH.gif

Anyhow, I actually kinda like it. It's kinda generic but not in a bad way. I just kinda hate that cheerleader-ish closing because that was totally basic.

B. MØ - I Want You

This is okay. Nothing special but not bad. Just okay.

C. Lissie - Crazy Girl

Okay, props for going for a relatively unknown artist but this is a bit boring. Sorry.

D. Low - Always Trying to Work It Out

No. Just no. I appreciate the risk but this is not working for me. It feels like I am listening to multiple songs at one and it is not working. Sorry.

I just realized that both hoEsts of Survivor are here. Their power!

Anyhow, I am so proud of what you have all achieved so far. It is a privilege to be a judge this season. Good luck, gurlies!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.