BTS sell 1.3M+ albums in 3.5 hours

hellocory

1 minute ago, Relampago. said:

Omg literally massive, they're selling off of pure stan engagement and it's HUGE :jonny:

I should listen to their music! I liked Idol, Mic Drop and one other song I can't remember. After becoming a Blackpink fan, I'm open to listening to them.

This remains their best song

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hellocory

• Lady Bird

• Resquid

• TheSoneNavy

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not organic. Probably rabbid fans bought multiple copies. Slavery won, I guess :clap3:

11 minutes ago, LiveYourLife said:

So Boy With Luv isn’t the best track.. dang I actually like that song kind of 

Well personal opinions will vary but i love boy with luv top 3 

35 minutes ago, Resquid said:

It’s not really comparable tho. Korean fans HAVE to buy multiple copies of an album just to have a right to buy a concert ticket, remain in the fanclub and such. The market model is totally different.

very good job nonetheless!!:clap3:

Can you elaborate on that please? This interests me in terms of marketing strategies. 

Slay :clap3: Not knowledgable at all about Korean acts, but those are very impressive numbers.

Dead @ people moving the goalpost when these bands are slaying left and right though :deadbanana2: If these numbers don't count then no non-Adele western act can be called successful, y'all trippin. 

29 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

I think Korean sales are WW, as in they don't track local sales only, that's why they are the 6th market of the world

I’m not entirely sure where op is taking these numbers but you might be right. Japan is actually the biggest album-per-person buyer for Korean music. In fact it is generally understood that kpop bands need to make it in Japan before they can say they ‘made it’. Even more so than being succesful in South Korea.

16 minutes ago, Daddy said:

Can you elaborate on that please? This interests me in terms of marketing strategies. 

AFAIK Fan engamentent in Asia has aways been different than the west because Pop Music is an industry that creates ‘idols’, unlike the west where authenticity and the ‘artiste-mind’ are still highly valued. Asia sells the bands image more so than the music itself. Bands have constant meet and greets, concerts, and random appearances in which fans get to participate if and only if they ‘qualify’, and you do this by collecting stamps, numbers and other random stuff that you can only get by buying multiple copies of an album or magazine. It is not uncommon here in Japan for kpop fans to have over 15 copies of each album, and hundreds of copies of a magazine. I bet that the ‘tour bundle’ that’s so popular nowadays took its cue from the Asian model.

Edited by Resquid

43 minutes ago, Resquid said:

It’s not really comparable tho. Korean fans HAVE to buy multiple copies of an album just to have a right to buy a concert ticket, remain in the fanclub and such. The market model is totally different.

very good job nonetheless!!:clap3:

I've been part of BTS + one other artist's official fan club and the most they made me do to level up was post proof I bought a single copy of their latest album. and proof that I've streamed their song.

When will our faves :clap3:

Mess they're literally OBLITERATING Hanteo :rip: BTS this week and then Twice... a bloodbath

19 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

This remains their best song

:cm:

Akb48 has been doing this for years in Japan, fans buying massive amounts of copies 

2 minutes ago, RainCity said:

I've been part of BTS + one other artist's official fan club and the most they made me do to level up was post proof I bought a single copy of their latest album. and proof that I've streamed their song.

That’s interesting! I do academic research on media and celebrity in Japan so I run into a lot of people doing academic research on these topics, and also many fans. Are you South Korean? I’m very interested in how the asian model will transpose to the west. What BTS is doing nowadays is unprecedented, so I’d be really interested to see how they manage all this

There's better K-Pop acts out there, SHINee (rip) kinda deserved this hype.

Old Town Roas going number one and now this? Lawd most overrated boyband atm and to think I hated one direction :deadbanana4:

15 minutes ago, Wicked said:

There's better K-Pop acts out there, SHINee (rip) kinda deserved this hype.

Oh this tea! :clap3:

-

Congrats to them, they're doing very well!

They are very frontloaded so most of their sales will probably be the first 3 days

1 hour ago, Lady Bird said:

The payola

Not directed at you specifically but...

Y’all do know that everytime y'all post “payola” or “bots” in response to a valid achievement by an Asian artist, it is more of an insult to your own intelligence than it is an insult to us or any of the groups we love. Hanteo is a physical chart (one of several to be exact) and while BTS' numbers are definitely outstanding and on track to amount to first week sales that might even surpass their previous two 1 million opening weeks in Korea, domestic physical sales tend to be very strong for Korean groups in general. It has absolutely nothing to do with payola and absolutely everything to do with promotion, marketing and the Asian Idol culture which has been around for decades :skull:

It is totally fine to not know or care about any of this. I get that. This forum is overwhelmingly US-centric and that is fine! But then maybe... don't comment on other music market you are not familiar with? Or do a fact check first so you can actually contribute from an informed stance like many users in this thread have done.

And sorry for this outburst (it's definitely not personal or targeted at you in particular) but after reading "bots" / "payola1!1" comments for the 1000th time (and not just in BTS threads, in virtually any thread relating to an Asian performer), it just gets a little tiring. I would expect ATRLers to at least try to come up with drags that have more substance to them and that aren't this easily clockable :devil: That's all.

Edited by RobDeWittBukater

5 minutes ago, RobDeWittBukater said:

Not directed at you specifically but...

Y’all do know that everytime y'all post “payola” or “bots” in response to a valid achievement by an Asian artist, it is more of an insult to your own intelligence than it is an insult to us or any of the groups we love. Hanteo is a physical chart (one of several to be exact) and while BTS' numbers are definitely outstanding and on track to amount to first week sales that might even surpass their previous two 1 million opening weeks in Korea, domestic physical sales tend to be very strong for Korean groups in general. It has absolutely nothing to do with payola and absolutely everything with promotion, marketing and the Asian Idol culture :skull:

It is totally fine to not know or care about any of this. I get that. This forum is overwhelmingly US-centric and that is fine! But then maybe... don't comment on other music market you are not familiar with? Or do a fact check first so you can actually contribute from an informed stance like many users in this thread have done.

And sorry for this outburst (it's definitely not personal or targeted at you in particular) but after reading "bots" / "payola1!1" comments for the 1000th time (and not just in BTS threads, in virtually any thread relating to an Asian performer), it just gets a little tiring. I would expect ATRlers to at least try to come up with drags that have more substance to them and that aren't this easily clockable :devil: That's all.

:clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.