ATRL's The X Factor: Season 2 | Round 3 - Bottom 2 (pg.35)

mxtthewdelrey

A customer who didn’t understand the jokes but still a customer nonetheless! :clap3:

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mxtthewdelrey

• Fa1x intelectual

• Queen Conchita

• Kylie Jenner

Thanks! And I almost never sing in falsetto so that was weak yeah

ellXhtE.gif

1 hour ago, Lémur said:

@J Legend X - That falsetto part was perfectly timed, loves it. Great vibrato and all around talent! When you do some of the more belty stuff it sounds like your throat is tensing up a bit, make sure your neck/face is relaxed and all the power comes from below!

Thank you soo much.. I'll try to do better every time !.. 

1 hour ago, Lémur said:

@ultraviolence.xx - Wow. You didn’t do anything particularly showy with your voice but the runs are so clean, the vocoder effect is so creative and beautiful, and you sound so emotionally invested in the lyrics. Your voice sounds great and you really delivered on this, it’s definitely my standout of the week. Keep it up!

thank you! that's really nice to hear. we'll see what happens next week!

11 hours ago, Lémur said:

But kfjkals the backup vocals were a mess. They gotta be right on time/pitch otherwise it sounds crazy.

Omg syncing these up was hell on Earth. They never stayed on time. I agree they were awkward because it was a very last minute thing I thought of to embellish the song. Thank you for liking for mostly liking the entry overall

20 hours ago, Lémur said:

@Sanctified - I like this song choice. I appreciate the effort on the production side but I really do not like the octave harmony, it sounds really messy here and you probably should have just used the higher one. Outside of that I think you showed the emotion well but make sure you have more power behind your voice from your diaphragm in the higher parts so that your voice doesn’t crack.

Thank you for the critique and advice. I will probably continue to try different things until I find something that works okay for me. Noted about the harmony thing. I originally was going to just do the higher one but yeah, thought it was too weak-sounding to stand alone and figured the lower one would give it some body idk. But it is messy, I agree. I will continue to try and sing in that higher range since I don't usually but I know that the more I try, hopefully the more I'll improve. :smile:

13 minutes ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

Results will be tomorrow night lads

Omg excited!!

I need to pick my survival song tho

Kylie Jenner

24 minutes ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

Results will be tomorrow night lads

Where are the other critiques?

3 minutes ago, Fa1x intelectual said:

Where are the other critiques?

Hannah said she's doing hers tonight, mine will be tomorrow cause I just got home from work and I'm knackered

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

Hannah said she's doing hers tonight, mine will be tomorrow cause I just got home from work and I'm knackered

Which judge is Hannah?

• ATRL Moderator

Slay! I'm looking forward to mxtt's review this week. I had a hard time finding a song for my voice but ended up persevering because I didn't want to disappoint mxtt and leave ha game cause I know what it's like trying to make a game successful and mxtt is one of my oldest friends from the Games section :heart2:

Also looking forward to my coach's reviews but not sure they're even coming :eyes:

Edited by feelslikeadream

Review time:

@feelslikeadream - I know you weren't happy about this round's array of choices, I think you did well with an unknown song and I love how you played the guitar yourself. This is the right spirit, now I want to know how good you are in a round where you actually enjoy the songs!

@IMadeYouReadThis - I've already told you what I think, you managed to stay in tune the whole time (not many people in this round can relate), and your voice sounds very sweet and relaxing. It was the right choice of song out of the three you told me, so glad to have you in my team.

@URBAN - I found your performance very sweet and endearing, I was ready for criticism since it's not technically perfect, but I personally found it lovely and I'm happy we did submit it anyway.

@Fa1x intelectual - This was so entertaining - an explosion of personality! The dramatics, the spoken poem, the Portuguese bits... your performance was everything I wanted to hear in this round. Post your cover on YouTube for CaCa to notice it!

@J Legend X - The expectations were very high following your audition, and I must say they were deluded by your cover. The first half is good, but at one point near the end you completely lose pitch, and the last forty seconds or so are painful to listen to, like you couldn't take the singing anymore. My piece of advice to you would've been to focus on a shorter performance, or not to do too much with your vocals.

@Yomaku - God Is a Woman is a rather flat song, and that definitely doesn't suit your vocals, which are more fit for dramatic songs. Your voice is good as I already told you but the song choice was just the worst you could make. The last part especially, is very off pitch.

@Yvess - I was told you played the instrumental yourself and I applaud that, although it sounded like you were focusing on it more than you were focusing on your singing, so you lost the tempo and the pitch of the song on several occasions. You should consider recording instrumental and vocals separately.

@Bawdee - Great vocals were served, but I was expecting a bit more overall, as the performance itself seems to be lacking in personality. It's like you were trying to sing it as close as possible to the original, a little bit like a pub singer... I'd love you to put a bit of yourself in your next covers.

@Overprotected - This is what I was talking about when I said some of the performances outdid my expectations. You sounded really good, you stayed on pitch, and the output was a nice song to listen to. Keep going in this direction.

@Kylie Jenner - It's like Dhipita got vocal lessons... your cover/remix of Electricity turned one of the most boring songs of the year into something exciting to listen to. I was very entertained, thank you for this - once again my expectations were outdone.

@Sanctified - It was not as atrocious as the audition, and you didn't sound bored. The problem with this was that not only you were rather off pitch, but you also sounded like a ghost! The editing was weird, I could barely judge the vocals as they were (once again) overproduced, even though for this song it might be more appropriate. Not a disaster, but not the improvement I wanted to see either.

@ultraviolence.xx - You were very in tune, but you also stayed very low key throughout the entire song, like you didn't want to take any risks. Even though you were technically on a good level, the overall output was rather sleep-inducing.

@emilyrocks - Even at the 70 years of age, your vocal power is still there and you gave L. Gaga a run for her money. Now that the halogen lights are gone, you can show the best you can offer!

A customer whose expectacions were exceeded love that

Kylie Jenner

A customer who let me entertain them and who also had their expectations exceeded! Loving this concept and hoping it continues into the future with this potential return customer

Kylie Jenner

1 hour ago, KillingYourCareer said:

You were very in tune, but you also stayed very low key throughout the entire song, like you didn't want to take any risks. Even though you were technically on a good level, the overall output was rather sleep-inducing.

thank you! yeah, it was literally first-take vocals, and i didn’t have time to go back and raise anything. we’ll see what happens next week :)

I just sent in my votes! My scoring works like this: the best = 10; the worst = 0; the rest everything in between.

1 hour ago, KillingYourCareer said:

This was so entertaining - an explosion of personality! The dramatics, the spoken poem, the Portuguese bits... your performance was everything I wanted to hear in this round. Post your cover on YouTube for CaCa to notice it!

I'm so happy you liked it. I tried doing what you told me. Really glad with how it turned out

As for YouTube, I would hate having my account taking a copyright strike because of the instrumental so that's probably not happening. Thank you very much once again

3 minutes ago, Fa1x intelectual said:

I'm so happy you liked it. I tried doing what you told me. Really glad with how it turned out

As for YouTube, I would hate having my account taking a copyright strike because of the instrumental so that's probably not happening. Thank you very much once again

They come for you for instrumentals as well now? :dies:

1 minute ago, KillingYourCareer said:

They come for you for instrumentals as well now? :dies:

Well, yeah, it's not mine

mx critiquesoftheyear

@feelslikeadream - thank u so much for submitting in the end! i think that you have carved out your own style and was able to find something within the theme that worked for you in the end which is great! i appreciate the lo-fi acoustic style and although you aren't the most technically strong singer in the competition, you show more individuality than most and i enjoyed your performance

@IMadeYouReadThis - damn ma you are putting some of these girls to shame by doing a full 5 minute cover! the levels were a bit off so you were a bit drowned out at times but your pitching was great! my main critique for you would be that you didn't really capture the emotion of the song as much as I would have liked, it maybe felt like you were focusing more on enunciation and so i didn't get much expression from your voice

@URBAN - kinda a similar critique to feelslikeadream in a way, you maybe don't have one of the best voices in the competition technically but I really didn't care about that with this song at all because I just found it really endearing and intimate to listen to. it was beautiful and I could hear the emotion in your voice a lot. I don't really have anything bad to say about this, it was gorgeous. huge well done this week

@Fa1x intelectual - this was a SERVE oh my god... i'm actually a huge postmodern jukebox fan tbh and you kinda did THAT. ****ing iconic, you are a true INDIVIDUAL, I loved the bilingualness of it all, I loved the backing vocals, I loved the spoken word interlude (that was kinda hot tbh)... truly astonishing

@J Legend X - Your falsetto is pretty strong in this, I was kinda worried about you hitting those notes but that was a nice surprise! I think you struggle at times with vocal control in the upper part of your range which is why falsetto was a smart choice but when belting or switching between belting and falsetto sometimes it was a little all over the place. As a good Christian woman, I appreciated your song choice in this (although you've now picked two more emotional ballad-y songs so I would love to see some more versatility next week)

@Yomaku - Your voice and this song choice was VERY jarring to the point where it felt borderline comedic, I don't know whether that was intentional but I mean... I was entertained :rip: It was very competent, I wouldn't say it was anything spectacular as it was very one-note throughout but I kinda found it more enjoyable to listen to than some of the others. Some of your ending notes were a mess but a scream. Gonna go listen to James Charles' iconic cover now!

@Yvess - I love how the instrumental sounds like it was played on one of those children's keyboard toys. The whole thing was kinda messy with it being off-tempo and off-pitch at times but the whole lo-fi vibe of it had me living. When it sounds like you've finished half-way through and then you come back in again... a true moment. 

@Bawdee - Obviously it was a tough act to follow with me listening to Fa1x's version first but I was most entertained by the seduction you were attempting to add to your vocal tone, the ad-libs towards the end, the fact that you were singing both of the overlapping lines in the verses so it was horribly off-time... truly proving that CaCa is an inspiration to all with both Havana covers being memorable! It's been a pretty strong week so nit-picking this felt like one of the most minimum effort performances this week as there was no production and it was under the time limit with no decent excuse as to why.

@Overprotected - I'd say this is one of the most endearing performances of the week along with URBAN and uvie. I'm unfamiliar with this song but this rendition was very sweet though your pitch was just a tad off at times. This was one of the most original song choices this week and I commend you for that also. I think that overall the song was just lacking a certain power, maybe because the instrumental of this song just kinda plods along and doesn't really go anywhere. 

@Kylie Jenner - I've made it very clear to you how much I ****ing adore this performance. I know you were excited about sharing this this week and I was utterly blown away by how much effort you put into this - practically writing your own original song incorporating elements of the reference song (which by the way is possibly the most mediocre song from Dua so PROPS to you for making it truly exciting) - the lyrics are ****ing hilarious, the production is adorable, it was EXQUISITE. 

@Sanctified - I suggested this as a possible song choice for you and was super excited when you said that you were also considering it, and I realised straight away that Post Malone isn't exactly a liked artist amongst ATRLers and therefore the other judges may not be thrilled by this song choice, but I personally am SO happy with you this week. I really identify with your style and that's why I wanted you on my team. I kinda get what Lemur said about the octave harmonies sounding a bit jarring and I was mainly paying attention to your top line but you were giving a lot of expression which definitely applies critiques you received last week. I really hope the other judges will give you a chance to continue to grow in this competition because I see a star in you.

@ultraviolence.xx - Your vocals were absolutely perfect in this performance. I was almost gonna say the performance felt a bit flat at first but I just wasn't appreciating the nuance of it (a pretty similar story to when I first listened to Golden Hour itself - I didn't get the hype but re-listening brought out the subtleties and I fell in love) - and as soon as you hit that key change I was just completely mesmerised. I just wish it was longer, it would have been even more of a moment after more build up! I think this performance will be one of the performances this week that pleases all the judges and you definitely deserve it.

Emily - you are a true icon and an absolute credit to my team. Your story about your performance being under the time limit because of your urgent need for dentistry made me tear up, and listening to the performance after hearing your story made me so emotional that I had to open a new packet of tissues. When you hit that final note, the sad memories of loss in my life came flooding back, but it was most therapeutic. I thank you for channelling your inner Joanne and bringing me back to the chamber of tears in the Tate Modern on Monday 19th November 2018. 

sorry if my critiques seem a bit all over the place and if they ever contradict themselves it's because i'm just writing down my train of thought as i listen :rip: ask for clarification if u ever need!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.