♫ Mezik's Best of '18 / Songs #26-#21 ♫

Mezik

♫ Mezik's Best of 2018 ♫

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to my 5th, annual 'Best of' countdown! I'm going to count down the best 30 songs of 2018, and top 10 albums of 2018 as well!

♫ Previous Year's Results ♫

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2013: Single - Cassadee Pope: Wasting All These Tears / Album - Kacey Musgraves: Same Trailer, Different Park

2014: Single - Carrie Underwood: Something in the Water / Album - St. Vincent: St. Vincent

2015: Single - Carrie Underwood: Little Toy Guns / Album - Maddie & Tae: Start Here

2016: Single - Little Big Town: Better Man / Album - Beyoncé: Lemonade

2017: n/a

♫ Mezik's Best Songs of 2018 ♫

-

♫ Mezik's Best Albums of 2018 ♫

-

Edited by Mezik

The audience wants “The Bullet” to be Carrie’s highest song!

4 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

The audience wants “The Bullet” to be Carrie’s highest song!

Sorry, I only stan for talent. :pukey:

Don't shade me for this comment.

♫ Mezik's Best of 2018 ♫

I will be beginning the song countdown at 6:00 PM (EST) tonight.

Before the song countdown begins, I'd just like to clarify a few criteria. There are going to be songs that you see that were released in 2017, and I am they will be called out. My criteria is, if they were released as a single and saw the vast majority of their chart activity in 2018 - I consider it a '2018' song. In all of the cases, they were singles released in late 2017 that I did not begin to hear / discover until 2018 because that's when they broke through. Be assured though, the majority songs are still tracks/singles that were released in 2018. :smile: 

Looking back at 2018, I noticed that I did not really listen to much 'new' music and it was quite a struggle to come up with even my top thirty songs of 2018. However, there is a mixture of pop, rock, R&B, country, hip-hop and dance tracks that make up the top thirty. Here are some other stats of the year-end best thirty songs.

• Four artists have more than two entries, and two artists have three entries.
  • Six songs are collaborations.
  • Twenty of my favourite thirty songs are female lead.
  • Four of the songs are album tracks.
  • One song is an album intro.
  • Two of the songs on the list are Billboard Hot 100 number ones
  • The top ten only has one solo male within it.
  • This is my most musically diverse group of year-end songs yet - (although one genre still dominates. :emofish: )

Hope to see you tonight!!

Edited by Mezik
Updating

2 minutes ago, Mezik said:

Twenty of my favourite thirty songs are female lead.

Here for it. :sistrens:

♫ #30. 'broken' -  lovelytheband ♫

Broken_(lovelytheband_song).jpg

First & foremost, I know that this song was released officially released in April 2017 - however, it did not begin to chart on Billboard until this year and it really broke-through this year. That aside, I think it's wacky and fun production really makes it a catch. This is one of those songs I really do not pay much attention to the lyrics for, because sonically it just makes me want to dance (despite having a pretty darker-tone message). However, considering it was released so long ago I couldn't justify putting it any higher.

I don’t really care for this one :fan: 

ill be perched tho ❤️ 

#29. 'Pray for Me' -  The Weeknd feat. Kendrick Lamar ♫

The_Weeknd_&_Kendrick_Lamar_-_Pray_for_M 

'Pray for Me' comes from the original soundtrack for the 'Black Panther'. I think there is something that really pumps me up when listening to it, and the darker message sung makes me just want to prove people wrong when listening to it (cheesy af. I know)Kendrick is one my favourite artists to emerge this decade, and his rap on the track really enhances it. The Weeknd's voice is also a huge turn on, and can make singing the phone book sound beautiful. The two really did create a piece of art together, and it fit in with the movie perfectly.

Welcome back :alexz3: Ready to see what you got this year

Broken is tolerable, but I don't care much for it. Pray for Me is a nice one. :jamming:

#28. 'Lucid Dreams' -  Juice Wrld ♫

Juice_WRLD_Lucid_Dreams.png 

I don't normally listen to hip-hop music, but this was one of the few tracks that I enjoyed. It's slow paced, and really mellow. Basically how I've felt the last few weeks. 

#27. 'Trip' -  Ella Mai ♫

Ella_Mai_Trip.jpg

Ella Mai smashed into the mainstream this year, and 'Trip' is the follow-up to her mega smash 'Boo'd Up'. 'Trip' gives me a late-90s R&B/Funk vibe, and really compliments Ella's softer tone. The entire album is ear-candy, and this track makes you want to cave into that craving you just need more of and listen to the entire album on repeat.

#26. 'My, My, My!' -  Troye Sivan ♫

Troye_Sivan_My_My_My!.png

He really came to serve pop-excellence with this single. It's an unapologetically gay anthem, and should serve as a lesson to all the main pop girls. 

My My My! is far too low. :angry: 

Idk the others, but I’ll probably check out Trip at some point. 

30. 'broken' - lovelytheband

29. 'Pray for Me' - The Weeknd feat. Kendrick Lamar

28. 'Lucid Dreams' - Juice Wrld

27. 'Trip' - Ella Mai

26. 'My, My, My!' - Troye Sivan

Next update is tomorrow, 9:00 pm (EST). :duca: 

I kinda like Pray For Me, Trip and My My My. 

• ATRL Moderator

My My My! is my fave so far!

Excited for more country songs here! The most underrated genre on this site don't @ me

trip and my my my are great :heart2:

On 12/12/2018 at 12:12 AM, Mezik said:

Next update is tomorrow, 9:00 pm (EST). :duca: 

tenor.gif?itemid=4652942

My My My! is great, was pleasantly surprised by that one

For some reason ATRL did not like my laptop and I could not get this section/page for the last two-days. :rip: 

Big update starting now. :duca: 

#25. 'Friends Don't' -  Maddie & Tae ♫

MaddieandTaeEP.jpg 

For those of you don't know who Maddie & Tae are, they smashed into the country scene in 2014 with their number one hit 'Girl in a Country Song' which was the first debut all-female duo single to reach the top of the charts since 2006. They followed up with a successful top ten hit 'Fly' and saw moderate success with the top thirty hit 'Shut Up & Fish'. Since then though, they saw their record label drop them and not really make much headlines since. Flash forward to this year, they were announced to be the openers for country-legend Carrie Underwood's upcoming Cry Pretty Tour, and released this fantastic single. Exploring the relationships with the 'guy who is just a friend', Maddie & Tae sing about your classic f**k boy who does anything they can to get close to a girl - but are not trying to get them for the right reasons. They sing about the foolish mind games that are played, and the single seems like a perfect release after their debut album 'Start Here'. There is something so authentic about this duo, that makes me absolutely love every single track they release. If there is one act on this list I suggest you listen to, it is this duo. You will not be disappointed in their music, but disappointed because country completely disregarded them after the fantastic music they put out during their debut era. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.