Radio callouts: Doja smashing

Starkboy

2 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

euhm that's not how forums work, you don't get to decide who gives you what energy, when you act a clown you get clowned.

2 hours ago, Hurem said:

Grow up.

Why the **** are y’all so angry?? What I said wasn’t even controversial...get a life and stop quoting me with this unnecessary nonsense

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• Starkboy

• Yog

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ari29 said:

This HAS to be pop radio only, because Please Me is doing well on urban radio and resonating well with people more inclined to that type of music.

I believe it is. Urban community is eating up Please Me, I honestly hear it way too ****ing much and I avoid FM radio like the plague unless my phones dead/dying. It’s definitely setting her up to walk right out the door, though. These trashy, generic throwaway songs never do anything in the long run, in fact could ruin her.

16 hours ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

I believe it is. Urban community is eating up Please Me, I honestly hear it way too ****ing much and I avoid FM radio like the plague unless my phones dead/dying. It’s definitely setting her up to walk right out the door, though. These trashy, generic throwaway songs never do anything in the long run, in fact could ruin her.

Please Me has to be doing well on Urban because of payola. The streaming numbers for the track are not good, especially for a 2nd single from a highly-anticipated album and with a huge name like Bruno on the song. I feel like it's only doing well on Urban because of name-recognition. Overall, the public response on streaming/iTunes/callout scores etc... don't match the song's performance on radio. 

18 hours ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

Clearly having no idea of how branding works...

Trashy generic songs as if drake nicki lil Wayne Chris brown Rihanna s beyonce don’t have 10+ of those :ahh:

this is actually HELPS cardi because she’s accomplishing a few things:

1. She’s giving homage to a golden era of hip hop r&b 

2. Shes giving another side so that she isnt predictable in giving the same urban trap stuff or hood song.

this is belecalis the woman. I highly doubt any future single will be remotely close to this. She will have some urban bangers and some fun bops and probably a woman anthem or two.

3. This brings in an older audience as many older people hell in my age group and older are halfway on her music per se but like this vibe and seeing this side.

Overall, a great branding move. Now for late spring and summer she will have to bring the uptempo bangers.

1 hour ago, Black Jesus said:

Please Me has to be doing well on Urban because of payola. The streaming numbers for the track are not good, especially for a 2nd single from a highly-anticipated album and with a huge name like Bruno on the song. I feel like it's only doing well on Urban because of name-recognition. Overall, the public response on streaming/iTunes/callout scores etc... don't match the song's performance on radio. 

Clearly not understanding how it works.

since the beginning of time you’ve had songs hit top 10 due to one or two metrics not all of them slaying at the same time.

while you anti cardi antics are usually off the mark the only thing you have right is that name recognition helps this song but not at urban. At top 40.

please me is not a top 4 song. This is not a song that middle America listens to at 11 am or 2 pm.

but in the urban community we hear this stuff.

it going #1 on rhythmic and soon on urban is actually expected as it’s a throwback ode to the 90s r&b and has a relatable subject and has two superstars.

now on pop Bruno and cardi can get it top 15 but it just isn’t a song that will reach the level to go top 10 or higher. 

Its done one the best that it is capable of doing on pop.

Well Ariana’s new song is getting maneater: shut up and drive syndrome after having a monster hit ahead of it.

i bet her next one will perform better.

19 minutes ago, slw84 said:

Clearly having no idea of how branding works...

Trashy generic songs as if drake nicki lil Wayne Chris brown Rihanna s beyonce don’t have 10+ of those :ahh:

this is actually HELPS cardi because she’s accomplishing a few things:

1. She’s giving homage to a golden era of hip hop r&b 

2. Shes giving another side so that she isnt predictable in giving the same urban trap stuff or hood song.

this is belecalis the woman. I highly doubt any future single will be remotely close to this. She will have some urban bangers and some fun bops and probably a woman anthem or two.

3. This brings in an older audience as many older people hell in my age group and older are halfway on her music per se but like this vibe and seeing this side.

Overall, a great branding move. Now for late spring and summer she will have to bring the uptempo bangers.

I have an idea of how branding works. Calm down lol. And those names you listed do not have trashy generic singles in their beginnings. And definitely not 10+, way to be dramatic. Beyonce was in her B’Day mode after an album of classic singles... Drake created Take Care, Rihanna was still on the rise but SOS/Unfaithful were defining moments. Nicki was creating stupid trashy songs in between her defining moments (like Starships, Stupid Hoe), and is partly why she’s in the state she’s in now. But she had Monster, Your Love, Moment 4 Life, etc etc etc helping her brand and respect at the time.

All Please Me is about to do is put Cardi deeper in her hole of being pretty basic. Giving homage to the golden era is what has already been said by both I and @Black Jesus. We both noted that the urban community is eating this up because it is for that format and audience, specifically. The PROBLEM with that is, it won’t be replicated again due to the genericness of the song and it’s severe, SEVERE lack of success in every other department but those formats. The fast rising audience is what’s keeping it steady in the T5, any other female or rapper riding off the back of that would be called payola or forced. You guys ignore that religiously when it’s somebody you stan for, but it makes sense for other artist. Interesting. They can either create a 3rd rehash and it bombs or she moves back to the “bangers” that haven’t done anything to move the needle on her sophomore album anticipation yet. I mean I’ve seen people celebrate and handicap Money for still managing to be T40 on Billboard, yet not too long it was all about her T10 records and weeks at #1, etc. At this point those Bieber / Marshmellow rumors are the only thing we can expect from a wide spread smash from Cardi. Though it erases her saying she has to slow down doing Pop.

Iggy’s a great example. As soon as she started to pander to her best audience with Black Widow, the road immediately got bumpy for her. It’s as if she hadn’t just had a succession of major singles. That’s cause Black Widow sucked and we didn’t care to hear anymore from her. Please Me almost factually sucks. Besides the homage, which definitely has its effect, it’s abother Cardi song with useless lyrics, talking more about what her pus$y can do and what others can’t and... yeah. Let Press be the next single and you’ll see what I’m seeing. Because yeah, urban radio is going to spin tf out of her. But clearly the urban audience on the dominating streaming platforms are not feeling this song. And the white audience on iTunes will tire of Cardi because she’s a fun character for that demo.

I’m not anti Cardi, I’m just calling it how I’ve seen it in my 15 years of watching the charts. Her brand has already been established, but it’s not one worthwhile. I pray for other bops, but I loathe Please Me for what it is and how it came to be. Of course I could end up wrong.

As for your point #3, the older folks I know think less of Cardi and aren’t feeling the song so, personal experiences aren’t ever really a gauge unless it’s a massive single. This song about her pus$y being better than that pus$y ain’t gonna do it.

41 minutes ago, slw84 said:

Well Ariana’s new song is getting maneater: shut up and drive syndrome after having a monster hit ahead of it.

i bet her next one will perform better.

Good eye. I stan break up, but it’s definitely in the mix of her other 19 songs in rotation lol. Shame I wanted another #1 for the era. We’ll probably get the next album by end of the year. She’ll spend the summer on features.

1 hour ago, Black Jesus said:

I’m not going to call it payola. She’s just a big radio name now, so urban/rhythmic are going to attach on easily. It is the point that, unlike her former features/singles, this isn’t lighting up on formats that matter in terms of public opinion. They clearly wanna move on from this. I’m surprised they didn’t have a dual set up ready, it was obvious this would only go so far on Pop. Then again, they maybe wanted this quick hit - even though no album is attached still. So it’s gonna burn out and we’ll be waiting on a 3rd release to accompany the forthcoming sophomore effort.

wasn't "thank u, next" the #1 Favorite pick the past months? I don't get how callouts work, how it goes from that to dead last

T2suIaW.png

3 minutes ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

Good eye. I stan break up, but it’s definitely in the mix of her other 19 songs in rotation lol. Shame I wanted another #1 for the era. We’ll probably get the next album by end of the year. She’ll spend the summer on features.

Yeah this is definitely suffering from overshadow syndrome where the previous single is so big that the next one just can’t make it because it’s not as good see: Never Be The Same, All In My Head, Blah Blah Blah, Unconditionally, I Do Not Hope Up, Break Free, You Da One etc 

1 hour ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

I have an idea of how branding works. Calm down lol. And those names you listed do not have trashy generic singles in their beginnings. And definitely not 10+, way to be dramatic. Beyonce was in her B’Day mode after an album of classic singles... Drake created Take Care, Rihanna was still on the rise but SOS/Unfaithful were defining moments. Nicki was creating stupid trashy songs in between her defining moments (like Starships, Stupid Hoe), and is partly why she’s in the state she’s in now. But she had Monster, Your Love, Moment 4 Life, etc etc etc helping her brand and respect at the time.

All Please Me is about to do is put Cardi deeper in her hole of being pretty basic. Giving homage to the golden era is what has already been said by both I and @Black Jesus. We both noted that the urban community is eating this up because it is for that format and audience, specifically. The PROBLEM with that is, it won’t be replicated again due to the genericness of the song and it’s severe, SEVERE lack of success in every other department but those formats. The fast rising audience is what’s keeping it steady in the T5, any other female or rapper riding off the back of that would be called payola or forced. You guys ignore that religiously when it’s somebody you stan for, but it makes sense for other artist. Interesting. They can either create a 3rd rehash and it bombs or she moves back to the “bangers” that haven’t done anything to move the needle on her sophomore album anticipation yet. I mean I’ve seen people celebrate and handicap Money for still managing to be T40 on Billboard, yet not too long it was all about her T10 records and weeks at #1, etc. At this point those Bieber / Marshmellow rumors are the only thing we can expect from a wide spread smash from Cardi. Though it erases her saying she has to slow down doing Pop.

Iggy’s a great example. As soon as she started to pander to her best audience with Black Widow, the road immediately got bumpy for her. It’s as if she hadn’t just had a succession of major singles. That’s cause Black Widow sucked and we didn’t care to hear anymore from her. Please Me almost factually sucks. Besides the homage, which definitely has its effect, it’s abother Cardi song with useless lyrics, talking more about what her pus$y can do and what others can’t and... yeah. Let Press be the next single and you’ll see what I’m seeing. Because yeah, urban radio is going to spin tf out of her. But clearly the urban audience on the dominating streaming platforms are not feeling this song. And the white audience on iTunes will tire of Cardi because she’s a fun character for that demo.

I’m not anti Cardi, I’m just calling it how I’ve seen it in my 15 years of watching the charts. Her brand has already been established, but it’s not one worthwhile. I pray for other bops, but I loathe Please Me for what it is and how it came to be. Of course I could end up wrong.

As for your point #3, the older folks I know think less of Cardi and aren’t feeling the song so, personal experiences aren’t ever really a gauge unless it’s a massive single. This song about her pus$y being better than that pus$y ain’t gonna do it.

Wow slw84 dissertation teas. I’ll have to address this when I get home but I can already tell I’ll be able to counter it.

in the end it’s a hit, radio hit might reach top 2 overall, a video hit and it’s done better on Apple Music than Spotify but I’ll dissect other points when I’m back at home.

2 hours ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

I’m not going to call it payola. She’s just a big radio name now, so urban/rhythmic are going to attach on easily. It is the point that, unlike her former features/singles, this isn’t lighting up on formats that matter in terms of public opinion. They clearly wanna move on from this. I’m surprised they didn’t have a dual set up ready, it was obvious this would only go so far on Pop. Then again, they maybe wanted this quick hit - even though no album is attached still. So it’s gonna burn out and we’ll be waiting on a 3rd release to accompany the forthcoming sophomore effort.

I like your response. I think you're right, maybe it's not so much payola and more they're spinning the track because of name recognition right now, cus I really doubt this is being requested a lot on radio (do people even request songs on radio anymore?)

They don’t have “trashy” singles in the beginning.

Girl:rip:

i dont know what you are talking about in terms or payola being ok for people you don’t like vs ones you do because I’ve been clear that labels pay for play but the audience has to react well for a songs to have legs. Back in the day they’d call the first month curiosity play. Y’all are the ones that scream payola not knowing what it means.

”3rd” rehash. Explain?

also money did work? WTH?

You seem to enjoy conflating issues.

people can be happy about her top 10s and happy about money being a hit despite missing top 10. We know why it missed top 10 so...

B’day is one of her worst albums and she has irreplaceable a pop song as the classic single from that era. Upgrade you is an urban classic though 

You are misstating her belief on pop.

she didn’t say she wasn’t going to do pop. Her point was she didn’t want to make the mistake of doing too many pop songs without putting out urban hits too.

her best bet is to come out with 4-6 pop hits annually and 10-12 urban hits annually.

instead of trying to push more pop songs than urban that was the point!

Opinion based claims on please me and black widow. Completely disregarding the culture in purpose. Black widow wa ls the best option of a follow up single and was done for top 40 consumption. She should have gone more in that direction 

her eyou go go with your assumptions about radio audience, urban streaming audience and “white” iTunes audience. Blah blah and not even entirely accurate. Because she actually performs better on one streaming outlet more than the other and both are urban driven.

the older audience is taking to it as it will soo. Go top 20 on urban ac and many old heads have been jamming the song and the point was to expand her base before pushing new product similar to be careful.

as a result, please me remains a hit that did a great job branding her to another audience and call out scores have been bad for hit songs and good for flop songs so what else is going on?

2 hours ago, shookgrande said:

wasn't "thank u, next" the #1 Favorite pick the past months? I don't get how callouts work, how it goes from that to dead last

T2suIaW.png

I thought the bad  callout scores were for breakup???

I’m sure she will have a follow up to break up and it’ll perform better as it doesn’t have a hit song to eclipse it.

SBP went up 2 points in Pop Score and 2 positions :duca::clap3:

1 hour ago, levi_valvi said:

Sucker still didn't debut, wtf

Did Shallow? 

So strange. :rip:

Net Positive (04/12)

1. (=) Better 51.7 (▼0.4)
  2. (=) Eastside 51.4 (▲0.1)
  3. (+2) Wow. 48.6 (▲0.9)
  4. (-1) Be Alright 47.0 (▼2.0)
  5. (-1) Without Me 46.5 (▼2.0)
  6. (+1) Dancing With A Stranger 43.0 (▲0.7)
  7. (NE) Who Do You Love 41.9
  8. (+2) 7 Rings 40.9 (▲1.5)
  9. (-1) Sweet But Psycho 40.8 (▲0.3)
  10. (-1) Close To Me 40.6 (▲0.7)
  11. (=) You Say 36.0 (▼1.2)
  12. (=) Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored 33.2 (▲0.4)

13. (=) Please Me 25.1 (▼4.1)

1 hour ago, FAN said:

Did Shallow? 

So strange. :rip:

shallow debuted long ago

Good callouts for Chainsmokers, the song is great, hope radio still pushes it. :clap3: 

I think we have read the callouts not entirely well, Net Positive is important because it's the result of Positive % - Negative %. Nevertheless, this number doesn't consider important aspects as familiarity, heavy burnout (how sick you are of the song) and the favorite %. I believe what matters the most is the Pop Score which is a measured number of all those factors. A song could get great Net Positive numbers but doesn't really compare if it's not too familiar with the Audience, of course less familiar songs will get affected less since they're fresh. 

Pop Score (04/12)

1. (+1) Eastside 89
  2. (-1) Without Me 88 (▼2)
  3. (=) 7 Rings 84 (▲1)
  4. (+2) Wow. 78 (▲3)
  5. (=) Close To Me 77
  6. (+1) Be Alright 77 (▲2)
  7. (+2) Sweet But Psycho 75 (▲2)
  8. (=) Better 74
  9. (+1) Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored 73 (▲1)
  10. (+2) Dancing With A Stranger 71 (▲3)
  11. (=) You Say 70 (▲1)
  12. (NE) Who Do You Love 60
  13. (=) Please Me 58

7r and break up are rising. :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.