Songs that would have gone #1

EnjoyTheSilence

46 minutes ago, Stallo said:

A. Formation was the lead single from Lemonade, what are u talking about.

B. I know all that, as i mentioned. But even Hold Up has gotten more views in that time.

Despite not loving the song, I love Bey. But I think the Hive are VASTLY exaggerating Formations popularity and success.

It wasn't really the lead single, as there was no radio release, no digital release and was simply put up for free download. :skull:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnjoyTheSilence

• Mattyboy

• getback

• Isaiah

3 hours ago, MrLovett said:

"Formation" debuted at #10 with only 4 days worth of sales and extremely limited streaming, 3 months after the Super Bowl. :skull: It 100% would've debuted at #1 had she done a proper single release.

It was getting 4M+ updates straight out of the gate, and it wasn't even sent to radio. :skull:

She didn't even put "Flawless Remix" on Tidal, it was Soundcloud. :deadbanana4:

I don’t recall, but it would’ve lost the spins the first week anyway by not getting sent. I’m not gonna argue, but I strongly think top 3 is more of a safe bet. Without Spotify it’s hard to go #1. Taylor needed 544k sales in 2014 and a music video, plus a radio deal. 

Edited by Mattyboy

12 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

I don’t recall, but it would’ve lost the spins the first week anyway by not getting sent. I’m not gonna argue, but I strongly think top 3 is more of a safe bet. Without Spotify it’s hard to go #1. Taylor needed 544k sales in 2014 and a music video, plus a radio deal. 

That's what we're saying though. If she'd done a proper release, with radio, Spotify/Apple Music, iTunes and video. It would've 100% shot to #1, there was an insane amount of hype and controversy around it. But instead, she didn't do a radio release, didn't put it on iTunes, didn't put it up for streaming, unlisted the video and then made it available to download for free. Yet it still went Top 10 when available 3 months later.

Run The World would have been #1 had the 28 songs above it not existed and all else being equal.

Single Ladies would still be #1 if:

-seasonal songs such as AIWFCIY didn't exist

-no celebrities dying

-it had enough points to remain #1

Drake boycotted "Hotline Bling" by releasing its video exclusively to Apple Music. Those streams didn't count.

56 minutes ago, Cz! said:

Drake boycotted "Hotline Bling" by releasing its video exclusively to Apple Music. Those streams didn't count.

they WOULD BE counted if they sent them to Billboard. They just decidied not to do so

13 hours ago, Timber said:

Formation never would’ve debuted at #1. Probably top 5.

stay delusional

Formation never would’ve been more than a POSSIBLE #1 debut for 1 week :sorry:

6 hours ago, MrLovett said:

That's what we're saying though. If she'd done a proper release, with radio, Spotify/Apple Music, iTunes and video. It would've 100% shot to #1, there was an insane amount of hype and controversy around it. But instead, she didn't do a radio release, didn't put it on iTunes, didn't put it up for streaming, unlisted the video and then made it available to download for free. Yet it still went Top 10 when available 3 months later.

A lot of the hive love to forget that the unlisted video was actually massive for promo since it sparked interest, plus had she released it on all platforms on release week its sales would’ve been significantly lower than 170k. People have to resort to buying when they can’t stream, driving the sales up (see 25, 1989, and lemonade on a much lower sales scale than the other two) 

Just now, Isaiah said:

A lot of the hive love to forget that the unlisted video was actually massive for promo since it sparked interest, plus had she released it on all platforms on release week its sales would’ve been significantly lower than 170k. People have to resort to buying when they can’t stream, driving the sales up (see 25, 1989, and lemonade on a much lower sales scale than the other two) 

An unlisted video is not massive 'promo' for anything. People couldn't find the video. :skull: The sales most certainly would not have been lower than 170k, seeing as the response to the song/performance was so massive. It sold 170k months later, despite many people downloading the song for free. Everything that happened points to the fact that "Formation" would've skyrocketed to number one, had she not completely sabotaged its release. Enough with trying to prove otherwise, it's entirely illogical.

Formation

Hung Up

Die Young

Problem

Can’t Let Go, didn’t Mariah’s team pull physical copies in order to garner album sales for Emotions?  I believe it was #2 or #3 when they made this decision?

Rescue Me it's an obvious example. One of Warner's worst crimes.

On February 26, 1991, “Rescue Me” is released as the second single (in North America) from her 1990 greatest hits compilation, The Immaculate Collection.
Rescue Me was one of the first singles in the 1990s that would debut at such a high position due to heavy pre-sales airplay. It was the highest debut for a single on the Hot 100 since Michael Jackson debuted at number 20 the week of February 11, 1984 with “Thriller”.

“Rescue Me” reached the top-five in airplay. However, by the time the single was commercially available, the song had already peaked at radio and eventually placed at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. It was certified gold by the RIAA.

It was almost as big as Justify My Love on airplay, it makes you realize even more how her label screwed up the single release. It was finally released as a single when it was down 13->17 on the airplay chart, at the end of its run basically.

And it didn't get a proper music video release either.

Edited by Travis Bickle

I think Bieber's Boyfriend could have debuted at #1 with a music video release? Well, I don't know if streaming was already counted back then, but he had hell a lot of sales during the debut week of Boyfriend.

Wide Awake. It was very few points behind the #1 when it was #2. If they had used an old formula, it would have been #1 for a week. 

19 minutes ago, Roulette said:

Wide Awake. It was very few points behind the #1 when it was #2. If they had used an old formula, it would have been #1 for a week. 

Actually, there was a thread on classic ATRL. A bunch of us predicted with the old formula, Wide Awake would’ve peaked at #2 either way. It never was even close to Call Me Maybe in points.

Edited by Mattyboy

Would die young have gone #1 if the elementary school shooting didn’t happen?

Wouldn't Die Young be #1 too if it wasn't blacklisted in the radio due to the hurricane or something? 

6 hours ago, Isaiah said:

Would die young have gone #1 if the elementary school shooting didn’t happen?

4 minutes ago, Diar7 said:

Wouldn't Die Young be #1 too if it wasn't blacklisted in the radio due to the hurricane or something? 

Lmaaao wtf, I said this right after you too.

As I remember it, there was some hurricane and many young people died so that's why DY got banned from radio? But maybe it was an elementary school shooting.

My memory must be off.

I Knew You Were Trouble if Taylor cared to upload it on Spotify [i still despise her for this mishap, could've been her best No1]

--

IDWLF with an MV on release date

Today Was A Fairytale with an MV on release date

1 hour ago, Diar7 said:

Lmaaao wtf, I said this right after you too.

As I remember it, there was some hurricane and many young people died so that's why DY got banned from radio? But maybe it was an elementary school shooting.

My memory must be off.

It was Sandy Hook. :toofunny3: 

ANACONDA IF

A) SHE DIDN'T PUSH BACK THE RELEASE FOR FLAWLESS AND RELEASED THE MV EARLIER

B) MISS TAYLOR DIDN'T COME OUT OF NOWHERE AND BLOCKED HER ASS

:'(

27 minutes ago, Whale Tongue said:

It was Sandy Hook. :toofunny3: 

Ahh, I thought it was Hurricane Sandy or something :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.