Songs that would have gone #1

EnjoyTheSilence

2 minutes ago, Timber said:

I just don't see how it wouldn't. The song got so much attention after the Superbowl.

Yes but radio was weak and its sales were higher because of no Spotify and video.

I guess if she was on Spotify and released the video, possibly. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnjoyTheSilence

• Mattyboy

• getback

• Isaiah

Thinking Out Loud was the #2 song of 2015. TOL had far more points than most songs that hit #1 in 2015. With the exception of See You Again's first two weeks at #1 and the week Bad Blood hit #1, Ed would've had the #1 song of the week. It's fairly common for very strong #2 songs to be blocked by mammoth #1s. Uptown Funk, one of the biggest songs of all time, just happened to rank ahead of Ed. I'll try to think of other examples later today.

Party In The USA was blocked by the biggest digital hit ever 

We Can't Stop was blocked by the biggest radio song ever at the time 

:rip: 

Edited by Squall

3 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

Formation never would’ve debuted at #1. Probably top 5.

"Formation" debuted at #10 with only 4 days worth of sales and extremely limited streaming, 3 months after the Super Bowl. :skull: It 100% would've debuted at #1 had she done a proper single release.

3 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

Yes but radio was weak and its sales were higher because of no Spotify and video.

It was getting 4M+ updates straight out of the gate, and it wasn't even sent to radio. :skull:

11 hours ago, www said:

Flawless remix - wouldve gone to no1 maaybe, top 5 for sure, had mrs Bey given a damn about putting the song anywhere but tidal.

She didn't even put "Flawless Remix" on Tidal, it was Soundcloud. :deadbanana4:

220px-Justin_Bieber_-_Boyfriend.jpg

Blocked from #1 because it was released during the week on-demand streaming was added to the US charts. It was also only available on iTunes which Billboard claimed "restricted the buying option for those that do not frequent the Apple retail store". 

You're saying that Don't Speak didn't get a physical release, but the image you posted says otherwise...

6 minutes ago, Antinemesis said:

You're saying that Don't Speak didn't get a physical release, but the image you posted says otherwise...

It wasn't released in the US but it was in Europe/AUS 

On 16/2/2017 at 3:22 AM, Holy Fool said:

Bad Romance if Tik Tok wasn't blocking it :fish2:

TiK ToK was much bigger

It has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but Formation was mentioned so I was reminded. Not a personal fan of the song itself, but - How can a song performed at the SB, a song that caused political drama, a song with one of the best music videos ever NOT even be past 100mill views YET. I know it was released to the platform way later, so I get no 500 mill numbers. But I mean cmon. KIB is past that for gods sake. LTWYL is old as hell and still gets half a mill views a day. It bothers me.

Bilderesultat for new york pollard gif

anyone who doubting formation is simply don't understand numbers and charts lol

drunk in love or flawless remix is no tho.

I can see drunk in love's #1 if it was in this big audio streaming era, but not in early 2014.

flawless would hit top10 easily. with proper push and original, maybe top 5.

I always thought Madonna's Into the Groove was a number one single lol

5 minutes ago, Stallo said:

It has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but Formation was mentioned so I was reminded. Not a personal fan of the song itself, but - How can a song performed at the SB, a song that caused political drama, a song with one of the best music videos ever NOT even be past 100mill views YET. I know it was released to the platform way later, so I get no 500 mill numbers. But I mean cmon. KIB is past that for gods sake. LTWYL is old as hell and still gets half a mill views a day. It bothers me.

Bilderesultat for new york pollard gif

A. formation wasn't single. streams are heavily driven by single release, especially hit single, big radio single.

B. the original video was released as private, meaning you can't find in Youtube, but only in individual own link. and second video was uploaded to vevo 10 months later in December.

together currently 53m + 94m = 147m

On 15/02/2017 at 8:26 PM, GrandeVersace said:

How did this peak at #7 when it was a number 1 all around the world? Damn us radios.:biblio:

madonna_hungupCDsi2trk_fr.jpg 

This was a massive global smash I think it debut at #1 airplay in Canada first week. What was wrong with the USA. 

Wide Awake was a few points behind #1 when it was second

Just now, KillingYourCareer said:

Wide Awake was a few points behind #1 when it was second

Wide Awake was not a #1 ugh that's sad

I guess Torn by Nathalie Imbruglia and Mariah’s Butterfly shared the same fate as Don’t speak

also yes, Die Young

3 minutes ago, sadnews said:

A. formation wasn't single. streams are heavily driven by single release, especially hit single, big radio single.

B. the original video was released as private, meaning you can't find in Youtube, but only in individual own link. and second video was uploaded to vevo 10 months later in December.

together currently 53m + 94m = 147m

A. Formation was the lead single from Lemonade, what are u talking about.

B. I know all that, as i mentioned. But even Hold Up has gotten more views in that time.

Despite not loving the song, I love Bey. But I think the Hive are VASTLY exaggerating Formations popularity and success.

3 minutes ago, Stallo said:

B. I know all that, as i mentioned. But even Hold Up has gotten more views in that time.

Despite not loving the song, I love Bey. But I think the Hive are VASTLY exaggerating Formations popularity and success.

Or you just don’t know how numbers work. 

3 minutes ago, Stallo said:

A. it didn't have radio release, or sale. anything, it was buzz single, not proper official single.

this is why it got no airplay ww, UK capital fm was accused of racism for not playing formation, they confirmed it's not official single, and they will play official single If she released it later.

B. hold up video was released in single life time, and it was "proper single" that released to radio officially, also released in other countries as official single.

6 minutes ago, ThirdWardBey said:

Or you just don’t know how numbers work. 

Maybe, but i know how much 93 mill is in this day and age.

4 minutes ago, sadnews said:

A. it didn't have radio release, or sale. anything, it was buzz single, not proper official single.

this is why it got no airplay ww, UK capital fm was accused of racism for not playing formation, they confirmed it's not official single, and they will play official single If she released it later.

B. hold up video was released in single life time, and it was "proper single" that released to radio officially, also released in other countries as official single.

I agree that a lot of stuff affected the view count. I just still think its so low for such a brilliant video and hyped up song, "proper" single or not. At least in the way the Hive are talking about it.

Beyonce - Formation is the most recent obvious answer.

Janet - Where are you now? Stayed on the Top airplay tracks for a number of weeks and Janet ignored it.

43 minutes ago, Stallo said:

The video link was even hidden from the youtube search engine. But nice try. Urban and Rhytm decided to play the song anyway. Additionally Formation was given away for free for two almost three months during its unveiling.

Formation wouldve blocked everything else if Beyonce did a proper release...which I wouldve liked. Clearly she wasnt confident in how it would be recieved.

Bey is so extra with her release strategies and then she wonders why she doesnt get awarded album of the year. Maybe the singles are influencing grammy voters.

Edited by Adonis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.