Songs that would have gone #1

EnjoyTheSilence

1 hour ago, getback said:

she was blacklisted in the US after American Life :rip: I hate Bush so much for doing this :rip: 

Literally had nothing to do with the blacklist. Hung Up failed to hit hard on US radio/charts because literally everything at that time was cheap hip/hop music. Nothing else was really maintaining relevance on radio and Confessions just as an album was super euro-disco/electro. Radio was not going to support it no matter how well it did in other countries because the US was just not about dance music. Thats the entire reason why Kylie is somewhat of a one hit wonder here. But Confessions was good enough that she was still relevant and those that were into the music knew about the album and liked it, I mean she didnt do Coachella in 06' for no reason. There was just no way Confessions was ever going to hit on american radio in 2005-2006, no way.

Edited by Misanthrope

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnjoyTheSilence

• Mattyboy

• getback

• Isaiah

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
GEORGE MICHAELS I WANT YOUR SEX
the song peaked at #2 on August 1987. The song was #1 on sales but only #6 on radio. The reason it was at #6 is because radios banned the song because of the word "sex." With a higher position on the radio chart, the song would have gone #1

Edited by EnjoyTheSilence

31 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I agree that Formation would have definitely had a #1 streak especially with radio support HOWEVER the delusion here is you believing it would've blocked Work lol Rihanna was going to have a #1 hit whether you like it or not. Sorry.

If we're talking conspiracy theory sabotage, I think Rihanna was sabotaged in favor of Beyonce. Not the other way around.

I never said Work would be blocked :sistrens: 

2 hours ago, Timber said:

Formation would've debuted at #1 if it were for sale and if the video was available without needing the link + if available on Spotify/Apple Music. It would have stayed their for several weeks (blocking Work) if it were also released to the radio. Formation without a radio release was still Beyoné's biggest radio debut. 

This is so delusion lol (especially the bit about Work) and that's coming from a fan of both. The best Formation could have hoped for was MAYBE 1 week at #1 on debut from the original hype and controversy. And we can never begin to predict how it would have debuted with a normal iTunes + youtube release because it didn't get either of them so the numbers are absolutely being plucked from thin air.

Edited by Fruity

17 minutes ago, Fruity said:

This is so delusion lol (especially the bit about Work) and that's coming from a fan of both. The best Formation could have hoped for was MAYBE 1 week at #1 on debut from the original hype and controversy. And we can never begin to predict how it would have debuted with a normal iTunes + youtube release because it didn't get either of them so the numbers are absolutely being plucked from thin air.

Speculating beyond the first week is ridiculous I agree with you there. That being said, If it had an iTunes release, even with only the unlisted video it would have gone number 1. I mean come on. It had the highest first week sales of a female for 2016, after months of being given away for free. Logically it would have sold a significant amount more had it been released the day it came out. It didn't even have the video push at that point and it still managed to peak at No. 10. Also the unlisted video still gained a massive amount of views in the first week. Had it been unlisted and the rest is history. Factor in Spotify and Apple music and that is a guaranteed number 1.

58 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Literally had nothing to do with the blacklist. Hung Up failed to hit hard on US radio/charts because literally everything at that time was cheap hip/hop music. Nothing else was really maintaining relevance on radio and Confessions just as an album was super euro-disco/electro. Radio was not going to support it no matter how well it did in other countries because the US was just not about dance music. Thats the entire reason why Kylie is somewhat of a one hit wonder here. But Confessions was good enough that she was still relevant and those that were into the music knew about the album and liked it, I mean she didnt do Coachella in 06' for no reason. There was just no way Confessions was ever going to hit on american radio in 2005-2006, no way.

...so you think the American media, FCC and Radio affiliates do not have any control over what plays at the time? Why did Janet flop if she wasn't blocked? Explain that please. 

5 minutes ago, benyonce said:

Speculating beyond the first week is ridiculous I agree with you there. That being said, If it had an iTunes release, even with only the unlisted video it would have gone number 1. I mean come on. It had the highest first week sales of a female for 2016, after months of being given away for free. Logically it would have sold a significant amount more had it been released the day it came out. It didn't even have the video push at that point and it still managed to peak at No. 10. Also the unlisted video still gained a massive amount of views in the first week. Had it been unlisted and the rest is history. Factor in Spotify and Apple music and that is a guaranteed number 1.

Tbh I agree, that with a wide release on all platforms, the #1 was pretty much guaranteed.

I mean, if Zayn can do it in 2016, then Bey obviously can with a song that caused all that conversation. :sistrens: 

By the way, the eventual first week iTunes sales were definitely a result of suppressed demand so that logic doesn't hold imo. Yes I know it was given away, but honestly a huge number of people didn't know it was being given for free (me included, a Bey fan with a Tidal free trial at the time from ANTI).

Problem would've been #1 with a ****ing lyric video 

iwCWETU.gif

1 minute ago, Fruity said:

Tbh I agree, that with a wide release on all platforms, the #1 was pretty much guaranteed.

I mean, if Zayn can do it in 2016, then Bey obviously can with a song that caused all that conversation. :sistrens: 

By the way, the eventual first week iTunes sales were definitely a result of suppressed demand so that logic doesn't hold imo. Yes I know it was given away, but honestly a huge number of people didn't know it was being given for free (me included, a Bey fan with a Tidal free trial at the time from ANTI).

If people can't find it anywhere, they are going to torrent it or find out where they can get it. Formation being the most searched song of the year isn't just because of the controversy surely. Either way it sounds like we essentially agree. :flower:

I Don't if the 80 other songs didn't exist. The 19th #1 that got away :cries:

"Thinking Out Loud" and "Work It" are obvious examples, where the #2 song was bigger than the majority of #1s those years. Neither Work It (nor Lose Yourself) had good longevity, but WI had really high airplay levels compared to most other #1 songs in 2002-3.

Formation would've gone #1 based on the fact that despite it being available for free online it still sold 170k+ during its debut week upon release at iTunes months later - and debuted at #10.  I still get so angry thinking about what it could've been if she had the video and single out on streaming services at the same time. :grump: 

Edited by QueenBLadyG

13 hours ago, LovingYourCareer said:

...so you think the American media, FCC and Radio affiliates do not have any control over what plays at the time? Why did Janet flop if she wasn't blocked? Explain that please. 

Im not saying they don't. But Madonna's blacklisting was purely relegated to the American Life era. By 2005 her classic hits had already well been back in rotation on adult contemporary and her new album was hitting across the globe and receiving rave reviews. Janet was blocked post-superbowl incident with Damita Jo which failed to produce much of anything at all beyond loyal sales because they blacklisted her. The blacklist did not continue however with every era beyond Damita though. Thats where you've got it twisted. The problem with Janet was that the superbowl debacle was SUCH an overblown controversial incident that pissed so many people off that she could never fully recover even despite the blacklist being quietly lifted. Theres a myriad of arguments that im sure are made to why that is: Janet being a black woman vs. Madonna being a white woman, etc. But theres never been a moment in which Madonna pissed off people to the same overbearing extent that people harped on Janets nipplegate. It still plagues her even to this day. And in my own personal opinion, I dont think Janet ever released an album quite as undeniably good as Confessions post-blacklist either. Discipline and Unbreakable have their moments but I mean. Thats just my opinion. Then again, Janet has never released an album as genuinely abysmal as MDNA or Rebel Heart either so.

Edited by Misanthrope

Drag Me Down if they had released the video that week :grump:

Formation. I don't even have to explain why! 

8 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Formation would've gone #1 based on the fact that despite it being available for free online it still sold 170k+ during its debut week upon release at iTunes months later - and debuted at #10.  I still get so angry thinking about what it could've been if she had the video and single out on streaming services at the same time. :grump: 

If "Formation" was released right now it would have for sure debuted at #1 with the new formula. If "Million Reasons" re-entered as high as #4 with 146k sales and barely any streams and radio play, then Formation with 176k and huge streams would have for sure debuted at #1, or at least #2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.