Songs that would have gone #1

EnjoyTheSilence

What are some songs that could have gone #1?
STATE ACTUAL FACTS! So don't say "oh Monster would have for sure been a smash but it was not released as a single

Some examples:

Image result for no doubt don't speak single cover

No Doubt's Don't Speak: #1 on radio for 16 weeks, but couldn't chart on the Hot 100 because there was no physical release

Image result for madonna into the groove single cover

Madonna's Into the Groove: overshadowed the #5 peaking "Angel." The song was not issued as a 7" single so did not chart. It was the B-Side to the Angel 12' single. At the time however 12" singles did not count towards the Hot 100 (until 1987). Angel could have peaked higher if the 12" sales were included. The 12' was the first 12" to be certified GOLD in the usa (and at the time, if a single went gold that meant a million copies)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnjoyTheSilence

• Mattyboy

• getback

• Isaiah

Shake it Off would've gone #1 if We Belong Together wasn't in the way. AIWFCIY was also supposed to peak at #1 in 2005 but I forgot what happened 

Formation would've debuted at #1 if it were for sale and if the video was available without needing the link + if available on Spotify/Apple Music. It would have stayed their for several weeks (blocking Work) if it were also released to the radio. Formation without a radio release was still Beyoné's biggest radio debut. 

Formation if it was released after the SuperBowl and all streaming services. It sold 176k first week 3 months after it was released for free :jonny3:

1 minute ago, Timber said:

Formation would've debuted at #1 if it were for sale and if the video was available without needing the link + if available on Spotify/Apple Music. It would have stayed their for several weeks (blocking Work) if it were also released to the radio. Formation without a radio release was still Beyoné's biggest radio debut. 

The delusion :ahh:

1 minute ago, Blue. said:

The delusion :ahh:

it's not tho. Formation might have not debuted at #1, but it would reached #1 with a standard release.

I can't @ the way she sabotaged her singles in the last 2 eras :rip: 

4 minutes ago, Timber said:

agreed

Also Formation, while being private, still got the most views out of any Beyoncé video in a single day. It had the perfect set up to be huge and the controversy that followed it for weeks would've fuled its succeas.

2 minutes ago, Holy Fool said:

Bad Romance if Tik Tok wasn't blocking it :fish2:

This isn't valid, sorry :(

HOWEVER, I heard bad romance should have gone #1 at least one week but something that had to do with yahoo ****ed it up. Do you know more about that? 

3 minutes ago, Holy Fool said:

Bad Romance if Tik Tok wasn't blocking it :fish2:

:rip:

it peaked at #2 for like MONTHS:rip: if only it's used in that Con Air movie it was supposed to :rip: 

FourFiveSeconds would've debuted at #1 if it was released on a monday with the music video on the same day, same with BBHMM & KIB (if she didn't cancel its November release) 

Pon de Replay would if WBT didn't block it 

Break It Off & LOTB also had a chance if she released a video for both songs 

1 minute ago, GrandeVersace said:

How did this peak at #7 when it was a number 1 all around the world? Damn us radios.:biblio:

madonna_hungupCDsi2trk_fr.jpg 

It went #1 on the sales chart, but not even top 40 on radio. 

1 minute ago, GrandeVersace said:

How did this peak at #7 when it was a number 1 all around the world? Damn us radios.:biblio:

madonna_hungupCDsi2trk_fr.jpg 

she was blacklisted in the US after American Life :rip: I hate Bush so much for doing this :rip: 

Problem if they released the lyric vid right away

1 minute ago, Marianah Adkins said:

:sosad: I'm still so upset about it. it was SOOOOOOOOOO CLOSE, like 0.00001% away

8 minutes ago, slaveney said:

Shake it Off would've gone #1 if We Belong Together wasn't in the way. AIWFCIY was also supposed to peak at #1 in 2005 but I forgot what happened 

AIWFCIY had the stats to go #1 but Billboard didn't allow songs to re-enter the charts at the time. The got rid of that rule a few years later, but it was too late.

Formation might have debuted at #1 if it was on iTunes when she performed it at the Super Bowl and the video was on her VEVO.

I think I read somewhere that Bad Romance would have gone #1 if the Hot 100 incorporated YouTube streams at the time.

2 minutes ago, Marianah Adkins said:

i still can't believe Problem didn't go #1, it was like her only chance :rip: 

1 hour ago, getback said:

it's not tho. Formation might have not debuted at #1, but it would reached #1 with a standard release.

I can't @ the way she sabotaged her singles in the last 2 eras :rip: 

I agree that Formation would have definitely had a #1 streak especially with radio support HOWEVER the delusion here is you believing it would've blocked Work lol Rihanna was going to have a #1 hit whether you like it or not. Sorry.

If we're talking conspiracy theory sabotage, I think Rihanna was sabotaged in favor of Beyonce. Not the other way around.

Edited by Misanthrope

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.