? Eevee's Best of '17 ? DONE!

Eeveelution

Yeah, Kehlani definitely could have benefitted from some editing on the album. The only song I cared for on YN was Rainbowland, but tbh that was mostly for the novelty of it and my love of Dolly 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eeveelution

• theblackestday

• Tom Vercetti

• World Eater

I only know the Kehlani song (and I don't even remember how it goes since I haven't played this album in full since like February :rip:). Will try to check some of the other ones out though :celestial5:

I can't remember any songs from MØ's EP :fan:

Everything Is Yours :clap3: Get Like and especially Undercover are better imo :keir:

i never got round to the kehlani album but it sounds like i didn't miss out. congrats on being one of the few people who seems to have listened to younger now tho, i think that makes u a rare kind 

70. Jay Som - "Baybee"

CHccChr.jpgIt’s strange to think that just last year Jay Som released her debut mixtape, which was… rough around the edges to say the least. Baybee is worlds away from the often lo-fi sound she has become known for, an instantly catchy midtempo not unlike the glossy pop you’d expect from Carly Rae. She’s one of us, you know.

See also: "One More Time, Please"; "For Light"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

69. Aldous Harding - "Imagining My Man"

BARZJrB.jpgAldous Harding’s Party is anything but: no bops here, but she serves a light Sharon van Etten tea with some gloomy piano rock. Most lovely is Imagining My Man which includes an extended saxophone outro and a chorus peppered with strangely chirpy “hey!” adlibs which work far better than they should.

See also: Blend

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

68. Fleet Foxes - "If You Need to, Keep Time on Me"

QhQqOWK.jpgI kind of forgot about Fleet Foxes’ latest offering (not unlike the critics responsible for year-end lists hihi), but I did save this little song. Not their most ambitious track by any means, but still tightly constructed nonetheless, I like how the instrumentation simmers and ripples under the main guitar at points.

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

67. Little Dragon - "High"

eudSlcn.pngThis is one of those songs where you can pretty much imagine how its gonna sound before even listening, but that’s ok! The smooth here production is the perfect backdrop for Yukimi Nagano's silken voice. It also reminds me kinda of their best song, Cat Rider.

See also: "Sweet"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

66. Sampha- "Reverse Faults"

bjzOEP1.jpgProcess was a cute girl in the dry early months of 2017, but, despite consistently outstanding production and Sampha’s gorgeous vocal performances I found that there just weren’t many good melodies to really sink my teeth into. I think Mr. Sisay works best as a hook girl for now. Reverse Faults is an interesting one, though, and no one really talks about this so I’ll give it its shine here.

See also: "Plastic 100°C"; "Under"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

Edited by Eeveelution

Reverse Faults is arguably the best sing on Process :alexz: wish there were more of those type of songs on the album.

Love the Jay Som, Aldous and Fleet Foxes tracks

xt6VToq.gif

23 hours ago, madonnas said:

Rae Morris released more than 1 song?

Linking With You is cute too. 

Yeah, this was a cute buzz single with a low budget video. This and Do It gives me hope her new album will be better than the debut.

23 hours ago, Vilppu said:

I heard this Miley sing for some reason and her voice is just too grating for me to enjoy poor it

Mo can still make a decent song? Who knew

Yes, I thought she peaked with Chronic Alopecia to Follow but the EP is really good!

I like Miley's voice at points, she sounds lovely on Rooting for My Baby for example. Younger Now's title track though...

4 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I only know the Kehlani song (and I don't even remember how it goes since I haven't played this album in full since like February :rip:). Will try to check some of the other ones out though :celestial5:

I think you'd like Baby Luv. :celestial5: 

58 minutes ago, theblackestday said:

I don't know any of these. Too indie for me

xt6VToq.gif

1 hour ago, bluth said:

i never got round to the kehlani album but it sounds like i didn't miss out. congrats on being one of the few people who seems to have listened to younger now tho, i think that makes u a rare kind 

Yeah, what I learned from these best ofs is that I'm like only person on ATRL to have listened to Younger Now in full. Twice, no less.

xt6VToq.gif

More coming soon....

perxepm.gif

Edited by Eeveelution

Didn't Melinda aka Jay Som also mention E•MO•TION in the press release for Everybody Works? :rip: Baybee is THAT song tho. Also love your picks from Fleet Foxes and Sampha

perxepm.gif

i wish i could have got into jay som's album more :chick3: little dragon's album was surprisingly cute and had some bops on there, i use. i agrih re: sampha, it was good, but kinda got erased as the year went on. still had some gr8 material tho 

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Eeveelution said:

68. Fleet Foxes - "If You Need to, Keep Time on Me"

QhQqOWK.jpgI kind of forgot about Fleet Foxes’ latest offering (not unlike the critics responsible for year-end hihi), but I did save this little song. Not their most ambitious track by any means, but still tightly constructed nonetheless, I like how the instrumentation simmers and ripples under the main guitar at points.

:fish2::biblio::doc::keir::blush::angry:

the fact that literally everyone forgot this album exists pisses me off beyond what is reasonable

the writeup is cute tho

Babeey and Reverse Faults :clap3: I lowkey completely agree with what you said about both of them aswell :fan: And didn't know Jay's last project was actually a mixtape, explains the quality :cm:

Reverse Faults is probably like my third Sampha fave, second being Plastic 100C and first to be rihvealed hihi.

Imagining My Man is v cool, totally ended Sharon's boring album.

@Eeveelution you were right! This Baby Luv track is a cute sing :jamming: Gonna look into some more of her material.

New set: I didn't really like the Jay Som record as much as I feel I should've. But I don't think I gave it enough time to sit with me. Listening to Baybee and I'm liking it. Little Dragon's new album was kind of forgettable though :'( They didn't really do it for me this time. Reverse Faults/Sampha should've been much higher though :angry: The production on it is so magnificent :jonny4: 

22 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

Didn't Melinda aka Jay Som also mention E•MO•TION in the press release for Everybody Works? :rip: Baybee is THAT song tho. Also love your picks from Fleet Foxes and Sampha

perxepm.gif

Did she, n?

Relable tbh, I'd probably promote my faves more than my own album too.

perxepm.gif

21 hours ago, Vxspertine said:

Babeey and Reverse Faults :clap3: I lowkey completely agree with what you said about both of them aswell :fan: And didn't know Jay's last project was actually a mixtape, explains the quality :cm:

Apparently it was collection of finished and unfinished demos, so, take that as you will. :cm: 

22 hours ago, bluth said:

i wish i could have got into jay som's album more :chick3: little dragon's album was surprisingly cute and had some bops on there, i use. i agrih re: sampha, it was good, but kinda got erased as the year went on. still had some gr8 material tho 

I didn't think it was that good either. But it improved with listens so maybe I should have spent more time with it.

21 hours ago, Vilppu said:

Reverse Faults is probably like my third Sampha fave, second being Plastic 100C and first to be rihvealed hihi.

Imagining My Man is v cool, totally ended Sharon's boring album.

Um excuse me, Are We There is peak snoozepop. Scalp Me >

Plastic was v close. I hope the song you chose wasn't that boring Piano song.

perxepm.gif

19 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

@Eeveelution you were right! This Baby Luv track is a cute sing :jamming: Gonna look into some more of her material.

New set: I didn't really like the Jay Som record as much as I feel I should've. But I don't think I gave it enough time to sit with me. Listening to Baybee and I'm liking it. Little Dragon's new album was kind of forgettable though :'( They didn't really do it for me this time. Reverse Faults/Sampha should've been much higher though :angry: The production on it is so magnificent :jonny4: 

15 hours ago, Wicked said:

Wait, Baby Luv is good.

You better stan!

More in a bit.

xt6VToq.gif

• ATRL Moderator

High is the lead single but one of the worst on the album tbh... 

A jaysom pick that isn't Bus Song. Interesting.

I want to slightly agree on Sampha's position, but he didn't deteriorate too much. 

That Aldous choice is a highlight. 

I like your picks for Little Dragon & Sampha - though your "see also" for Sampha are prob the songs I listen to the least :deadbanana: 

65. Cardi B - "Bodak Yellow"

KApDoOw.jpgThis song is just so iconic i couldn't not include it. I can’t quite get behind the narrative some are spinning that this ~defeated the evil of Taylor Swift, and single handily destroyed white supremacy, ended the patriarchy etc.. Is it that deep? This song is just a banger plain and simple, and that’s ok. In these tough times, I think we really need songs like this so we can just forget everything and just bop for a minute. Cardi did what she had to do.

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

64. Betty Who - "Human Touch"

2syGMbM.jpgPart of me will always root for Better Who, even if she’s undeniably basic and brings nothing new to the table. But when she gets it right, almost no one does basic pop better than Ms. Who. This song didn’t do much for me when it was released last year, but slowly in the months after March’s Take Me When You Go the song’s subtle hooks and fizzy production crept up on me. She’s serving looks with her wig in the vidya too, a Katy tea

See also: "Mama Say"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

63. Vagabon - "Cleaning House"

MD799GG.jpgIt’s refreshing to see artists like Vagabon, Jay Som and Japanese Breakfast succeed in the notoriously straight white male genre of indie rock. I do feel like Vagabon has to work on finding herself a specific niche, though. But this delicate late-game highlight from her debut, Infinite Worlds, is absolutely worth a listen nonetheless.

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

62. Kelly Lee Owens - "S.O"

TObMpN1.jpgKelly Lee Owens got a surprising amount of buzz for her debut solo album, and for good reason. The production here isn’t exactly as immediately showy as other songs on the album, but Kelly gives as much attention to the empty space as actual instrumentation which allows her soft, almost weightless vocals to shine.

See also: "Anxi" (feat. Jenny Hval); "Lucid"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

61. Red Velvet - "Body Talk"

iQYTsWC.pngI’m no kpop stan, mainly for my ignorance of the genre more than anything else, but every now and again a song just captivates me in in spite of the language barrier. Body Talk’s cavernous and foreboding beast of an intro and rich synthpop production made it an instant highlight on this year’s Rookie.

See also: "Rookie"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

Edited by Eeveelution

• ATRL Moderator

Rookie > Body Talk

I need to check out Vagabon too.

I literally laughed out loud at pitchfork's bodak yellow writeup.  Does that make me a bad person?  It's a good song.. but like omg

The Bodak Yellow write up :rip: you didn't really lie though. Still, it's a ****ing bop and I love it.

S.O. is one of the weaker songs from KMO's album imo but still good.

Other ones are too indie for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.