? Eevee's Best of '17 ? DONE!

Eeveelution

p4k's bodak yellow writeup was extra :rip: not quite kid a level, but almost. but the song itself is so huge it's kinda necessary to include on any list

s.o. was def my fave too from kelly lee owens <3 body talk was probably my second fave on rookie, good choice :-*

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eeveelution

• theblackestday

• Tom Vercetti

• World Eater

I promoted a bit of Vagabon but I haven't touched the album in months. Her songs didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

I like S.O as an opener. Short and simple. 

I need to get more in tune with Red Velvet cuz Body Talk is nice. 

Bodak Yellow is a good pick, agrih with the write up. I'd personally put Lucid, Anxi. or even 8 over S.O. though

Body Talk was one of the very few good things Red Velvet did this year. Have you heard You Better Know btw? It's similar and had more replay value imo.

S.O is also good but as a racist misogynist I'm not so sure about Bodak Yellow

36w5dPV.gif

Fleet Foxes + Little Dragon :katie2:

Spoiler
3 hours ago, madonnas said:

Rookie > Body Talk

I need to check out Vagabon too.

I literally laughed out loud at pitchfork's bodak yellow writeup.  Does that make me a bad person?  It's a good song.. but like omg

2 hours ago, bluth said:

p4k's bodak yellow writeup was extra :rip: not quite kid a level, but almost. but the song itself is so huge it's kinda necessary to include on any list

s.o. was def my fave too from kelly lee owens <3 body talk was probably my second fave on rookie, good choice :-*

Yeah, I was referring to p4k there haha (others have done it too) I get that for your #1 song of a year you can't just be like 'it's a bop' but I mean.. I feel like they're overcompensating a BIT for their part in overrating some white male mediocrity in the past.

2 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

Bodak Yellow is a good pick, agrih with the write up. I'd personally put Lucid, Anxi. or even 8 over S.O. though

Kelly was def one of the harder artist to choose a song for, especially cause I haven't listened to her that much. But S.O was my immediate fav so I went with it.

1 hour ago, Vilppu said:

Body Talk was one of the very few good things Red Velvet did this year. Have you heard You Better Know btw? It's similar and had more replay value imo.

S.O is also good but as a racist misogynist I'm not so sure about Bodak Yellow

36w5dPV.gif

No I'm literally so bad at keeping up with kpop lol. I just listened and it's nice, though it's no Automatic!

Oh wow, once a swiftie, always a swiftie.

36w5dPV.gif

Thanks to y'all who commented so far, gonna try and get down to 50 tmorrow cause I wanna finish songs by xcxmas

bluth

4 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

This song is just so iconic i couldn't not include it. I can’t quite get behind the narrative some are spinning that this ~defeated the evil of Taylor Swift, and single handily destroyed white supremacy, ended the patriarchy etc.. Is it that deep? This song is just a banger plain and simple, and that’s ok. In these tough times, I think we really need songs like this so we can just forget everything and just bop for a minute. Cardi did what she had to do.

:ahh: 

right. its a bop but omggg

Love the RV pick!

This song is just so iconic i couldn't not include it. I can’t quite get behind the narrative some are spinning that this ~defeated the evil of Taylor Swift, and single handily destroyed white supremacy, ended the patriarchy etc.. Is it that deep? This song is just a banger plain and simple, and that’s ok. In these tough times, I think we really need songs like this so we can just forget everything and just bop for a minute. Cardi did what she had to do.

fffffffffff people said this? **** me upside down :deadbanana: 

So can we stop with Bodak Yellow praise? It's nothing more than a cute bop and seeing it on tons of YELs like it's anything special is triggering to say the least :skull: Vagabon was nice and I may have to go back to Kelly to see what the fuss was about but I wasn't too impressed on my first listen.

Human Touch sounds so good in first live videos, so studio version... Idk, feels like it lacks of something

Mama Say tho >>>>>>>> :smitten:

Didn't like Betty's album but Human Touch isn't that bad :flower:

Bodak Yellow is pretty good :jamming: Body Talk is nice, Foxes did it better tho :keir:

High is ****ing beautiful, still sad the album didnt click with me yet.

Reverse Faults is a Process highlight, and I love S.O., especially as an opener but the album has better tracks

Reverse Faults and Bodak :clap3: 

Very fomo'd updates today, some ATRL faves punched out.

bluth

60. Astrid S.  - "Such a Boy"

P4Fr5Js.jpgYes girl, dismantle that fragile masculinity! (And Zara Larsson her entire discography).

See also: Poppy - "Computer Boy"; "Zara Larsson - "TG4M"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

59. Camila Cabello - "Havana" (feat. Young Thug)

IHqBCZXz.pngt’s impossible to deny the charms of Havana, with its hooky piano riffs and Rihanna'd, eternally reliable na na nas. Despite some sketchy singles along the way, Havana and its buzz track sister OMG give me hope that Camila will deliver a solid debut, or at the very least, something better than than whatever 5H were doing this year.

See also: "OMG"; Cashemere Cat (feat. Camila Cabello) "Love Incredible"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

58. LCD Soundsystem - "How Do You Sleep?"

QYLxAPj.jpgWho saw that coming? This year, James Murphy emerged from his half-decade long ‘retirement’ to release another passable, overlong album of dance-rock. You can’t fault his deft hand with production, though, and the gurgling synths which bubble throughout the album’s centerpiece are easily enough to help overlook his off-key yelping. Real-talk though, James producing for a pop girl would truly be his best work. If only he wanted a hit.

See also: "oh baby": "american dream"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

57. Halsey - "100 Letters"

rDwlAyN.pngHalsey is an artist who will forever be haunted by the shadow of more established, greater acts. Perhaps in part an attempt to shake off omnipresent LDR comparisons, Halsey’s foray into top 40 R&B only lead her to release a shameless Rihanna rehash and an (admittedly solid) The Weeknd pastiche. Indeed, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom seeks to tell an ambitious story with unambitious music, but there are flashes of brilliance nonetheless – such as on the surprisingly well-written album opener.

See also: "Eyes Closed"; "Strangers" (feat. Lauren Jauregui)

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

56. Loreen - " '71 Charger "

UuRlktw.jpgThis song is a weird one. Constant repetition of “Bite your tongue hun keep it to yourself” is an odd way to build a hook but it somehow it all comes together. Loreen's 71 year-old lifetime smoker vocal turn and the gorgeous instrumental build up help. 

See also: "I Go Ego"; "Love Me America"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

Edited by Eeveelution

This Halsey song is... not horrible? :eek: Alone probably better but am shook.

LCD too low, the right song though, Loreen could have maybe made my list had she released earlier and the other two are both bops.

M19sL03.gif

Havana made me stop hating on Camila and NBTS only confirmed she's got MUCH more to offer than 5H :cm: Nice to see HDYS? here, it's a hell of a bapw

M19sL03.gif

Part deux.

55. Kesha  - "Finding You"

oTZQIdc.pngIt’s been said before, but it can’t be reiterated enough: it was really heartwarming to see Kesha succeed and finally release the album she wanted this year. It’s what she deserves. Finding You may not seem like an obvious highlight from Rainbow, but something about those finger picked guitar chords, and the silly contradictions and impossible promises of the chorus made it one of favourite pop songs of the year.

See also: "Let 'em Talk" (feat. Eagles of Death Metal) ; "Spaceship"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

54. Dagny - "Wearing Nothing"

yesywsh.jpgFew artists in 2017 achieved such effervescent, dance-in-front-of-your-mirror kind of pop perfection better than Norwegian singer Dagny’s Wearing Nothing. Also, those single covers!

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

53. Susanne Sundfør - "The Golden Age"

xLbeTSO.jpgI have something to saw about Susanne's music but I’ll keep it cute because this my best of and I wanna maintain the positive vibes. Anywho, spooky abandoned fairground music meets Scandi-pop is something I didn’t know I needed in 2017, the Norwegian Rihanna did that

See also: "Mountaineers"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

52. Sylvan Esso - "Slack Jaw"

OgsHDTt.jpgSylvan Esso are a duo known for their intricate, bleep-bloop production, but vocalist Amelia Meath arguably shines best on this track, which is practically acapella. On Slack Jaw, Amelia has reached self-actualization but somehow, something is still missing, making for one of the year's most striking and off-kilter ballads. 

See also: "Die Young"; "Kick Jump Twist"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

51. Drake - "Passionfruit"

XImPYw2.jpgA bit of a predictable choice for him but I couldn’t resist. The track highlights Drake’s strengths, with him being his typically mopey self over production as delicate and tender as the poor bloke's self-esteem. I’m gonna need people to stop covering this though.

See also: "Get it Together" (feat. Jorja Smith); "Teenage Fever"

4Qc7pcB.pngOVkay2E.png

Edited by Eeveelution

Passionfruit might be predictable but it's correct s0

Finding You has such a wonderful chorus, missed my list by a hair. Wearning Nothing is also good and I don't remember that Susanne song but I liked all of this album so it was probably good xo

18 hours ago, Lazuli said:

fffffffffff people said this? **** me upside down :deadbanana: 

Yes dd

18 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

So can we stop with Bodak Yellow praise? It's nothing more than a cute bop and seeing it on tons of YELs like it's anything special is triggering to say the least :skull: Vagabon was nice and I may have to go back to Kelly to see what the fuss was about but I wasn't too impressed on my first listen.

nnnn sorry sis, but it was THE club highlight of the last third of 2017, I just had to. Yeah, I'd recommend going back to Kelly cause I would say it's not the most immediate of albums. 

8 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

Passionfruit might be predictable but it's correct s0

Finding You has such a wonderful chorus, missed my list by a hair. Wearning Nothing is also good and I don't remember that Susanne song but I liked all of this album so it was probably good xo

It's ok, she has that effect.

M19sL03.gif

Edited by Eeveelution

Finally some How Do You Sleep? Love. I'll take its position

M19sL03.gif

Passionfruit creates a positive mood for sure. 

M19sL03.gif

Imagining My Man, Bodak Yellow & Havana :clap3:

EDIT: Oh, Finding You & that HM for Get It Together too :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.