• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montrealxo

• Wicked

• Pink Matter

• Playa Playa

#39 Pineapple Skies - Miguel

giphy.gif

I love songs that instantly have you singing along and dancing like you're on your own world tour. Miguel makes those kinds of songs. And while I was prepared to be let down by his new album (I like Skywalker but it's so unlike Miguel to be on trend.), that I almost didn't listen to this promo track that, for me, is the true highlight of the album. 

#38 Messy Love - Mura Masa

heavy-metal.gif

A DJ friend of mind had been raving about Mura Masa for weeks, and I reluctantly listened in that "i'm only listening so this person will stop asking me to" kinda way. I fell in love with the entire album.It was eclectic, smart and fun. My personal favorite, probably because it was first, is Messy Love. While not a single, it was a personal highlight for me. And its tied to some great memories of days out with friends. 

Edited by montrealxo

#37 Mask Off - Future

giphy.gif

percocet molly percocet *twerks*

#36 You Already Know - Fergie ft. Nicki Minaj

EnRzEfo.gif

I was pumped for Fergie's comeback of the decade. While I, for one, think she delivered with this single, either the general public disagreed or radio remains unfriendly as ever to women over 29. The verses are confident, the hook is catchy, Nicki has a cute cameo  and the bridge is EVERYTHING! Along with a video that showed she still had it in the looks department and the dancing. It had everything we all could've wanted. IF only she were a decade younger. :!ohno:

Edited by montrealxo

#35 Big Fish - Vince Staples

search_results.gif?1495170705

There are plenty of rappers that we could through around the phrase "underrated" too. Vince Staples deserves it. With his last album, he showed he was a real talent here to stay and with Big Fish he should've gotten his big break. Any song should be Juicy J on the hook is bound to be a success. Vince rides the beat with the best of them, and his cool, Cali flow over a bay area beat should've been the makings of a party classic.

#34 New Rules - Dua  Lipa

original.gif

If I had my way, this import (or Chantaje) would've been 16 weeks at #1 instead of Despacito. An instant anthem, an iconic video and a beautiful new pop girl to rally around. The album was a let down, but we still have this piece of dance pop perfection.

#33 Sip Test - Matthew Progress

ps27sTtS.jpg

I'm not sure how I even came across this bit of randomness, but it's got dope production and his flow is like he's mcing a ball. 

*duckwalks* (i actually can't tho :cries:)

It seems so long ago Mask Off was popping :skull: Still a good song.

Big Fish, Pineapple Skies and New Rules are nice af bops too.

Hmm not familiar with Matthew Progress so let me listen to this Sip Test...

Edited by Playa Playa

#32 it's a vibe - 2 chainz ft trey songz, ty dolla sign and jhene aiko

giphy.gif

Everything about 2 Chainz in the last calendar year has been an event. From opening the pink Trap House, to touring with a broken leg, the closing of said pink Trap House and the release of one of the most unexpectedly great rap albums of the year. Pretty Girls... is full of features, but each guest is utilized in smart ways, even if just for adlibs or a hook. The highlight for me was It's a Vibe. Somehow a soulful trap song that is still stuck in my head months and 100s of listens later. 

Edited by montrealxo

#31 By Design - Kid Cudi ft. Andre 3000

NDYyMDI3NDE4YyMvZWRvSTZyT3g3dnRhMDVKbng5

This wasn't a single, but it was by far and away the most interesting song on Passion, Pain & Demon Slaying. Cudi hums and flows about just going with the flow of things. Andre 3000, as just f**king great as ever, delivers on a catchy post chorus that's deeper than almost anything that came out in 2017. All this over a dance pop inspired beat, showing that the ever genre-bending Kid Cudi is great as ever, despite some slip ups with past releases. 

51 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Hayley :heart2:

i want just one solo era from her so baaaad. 

15 minutes ago, Playa Playa said:

It seems so long ago Mask Off was popping :skull: Still a good song tho.

Big Fish, Pineapple Skies and New Rules are nice af bops too.

Hmm not familiar with Matthew Progress so let me listen to this Sip Test...

right. they started playing "Incredible" on the radio and I was like damn the era isn't over?

haven't heard of him either, but I used to be waaay into Azealia Banks and that got me into house music, if you're into that kinda thing I think you'll like it

Woah some amazing songs :clap3: New Rules and You Already Know are quality bops

Big Fish and Mask Off  :alexz:  good taste

#30 Feel It Still - Portugal The Man

giphy.gif

i was late with this song. i changed it every time it came on the radio until one day it was the only thing on and i fell in love instantly. it took me back to so many things: from "Mercy" by Duffy to the diner scene in Pulp Fiction. The 60s is such an underexplored influence in modern music and it's done so well with this song. One of the most noticeable basslines this year and even better album than I could've expected. So glad I opened my mind and gave this one a listen.

#29 Humble - Kendrick Lamar

giphy.gif

BARS!!! And an unbelievably great video. A great comeback for K. Dot but no one expected anything less.

#28 Cut to the Feeling - Carly Rae Jepsen

Carly-Rae-Jepsen-Boy-Problems-carly-rae-

The best pop music that no one listens to is made by Carly Rae Jepsen. Since, Call Me Maybe she hasn't been able to strike gold on the charts again, but that's never meant a dip in quality. This one is a bop, and one of the best pure pop songs of the decade. 

Edited by montrealxo

#27 Bank Account - 21 savage

giphy.gif

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 m's *jigs* 

#26 New York - St Vincent

SeriousClosedEuropeanfiresalamander-smal

A beautiful song from one of, if not the most, underrated singer-songwriters out right now. It took me a while to get into Masseduction (I still say Masseducation), but this song was my gateway to the greatness that is St. Vincent.

#25 Slippery - Migos ft. Gucci Mane

tumblr_opptx3JJlb1viblyvo1_500.gif

It took me a while to narrow in on this one. Culture came out in January so it had been a minute since the album was on my regular rotation. My favorites changed often and at the moment, the most recent single Slippery is my favorite. It's actually probably the only song from the album I still listen to. Any song that makes my gay ass want to go to the strip club is an instant fave and this one is no different.

#24 Summer Bummer - Lana Del Rey ft Asap Rocky and Playboi Carti

feat-lana-del-rey-summer-bummer.jpg

An instant favorite because it has three of my favorites. This one is still in on my commute playlist.

#23 Bodak Yellow - Cardi B

DistantQualifiedBlackfootedferret-max-1m

I've been rooting for Cardi since Love and Hip Hop and the famous "a hoe don't get cold" video clip. After watching radio interviews and seeing her growth I'm so happy to be able to include this one. Her infectious personality and hood tendencies collide and make this one a banger, possibly a classic. Can't wait to see what else she has in store for us. 

#22 Want You Back - Haim

PresentGrossHairstreakbutterfly-size_res

I'd heard of Haim through a collab with Kid Cudi, but this song was the first of theirs I gave a chance. This is a beautiful, well produced pop record that in all honesty deserved to be one of the biggest hits this year. This one would've ruled in the alternative heavy 90s. The chorus is epic, the lyrics are great and their voices are magical. 

#21 Biking - Frank Ocean ft. (and not ft.) Jay Z and Tyler the Creator

frank-ocean-biking-lyrics.jpg

I love both versions, with Jay Z and Tyler and the solo version made just for HBO's insecure. The song is a different speed for one my faves Frank as he forgoes the story telling for an inspiring song that just urges you to keep going. With thoughtful lyrics and amazing closing 30 seconds, this is another one that deserved to make a bigger splash than it did. 

On 12/21/2017 at 1:29 PM, soml said:

Woah some amazing songs :clap3: New Rules and You Already Know are quality bops

Big Fish and Mask Off  :alexz:  good taste

:heart2:

Cut to the Feeling, Summer Bummer y Want you Back :alexz: 

Edited by soml

#20 xo tour life - lil uzi vert

giphy.gif

This one always seemed to me like a mid/late 2000s fueled by ramen song through a trap filter. I think it's why I like it so much. 

#19 Bad Liar - Selena Gomez

giphy.gif

Since Revival, Selena's been the artsy pop girl and it suits her. Although this didn't do much chart wise, it's one of the best pop songs of the year. It's interesting, provocative and well done. Shame the video is so ugh. 

#18 Dark Red - Steve Lacy

MI0004212518.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Syd is by far and away my favorite Internet alum, but this song is miles better than anything I could've expected from Steve Lacy. It's very N.E.R.D. inspired which is probably what drew me to it. It doesn't help that he's also hot. and BI :heart2:

#17 Issues - Julia Michaels

46651f5381ec90ea25553c76f64d1b9d.gif

This song gets such a bad rap. It's very relatable and a great debut single.

#16 Loyalty - Kendrick Lamar ft Rihanna

giphy.gif

One of my favortes collabs this year. This is still on my regular rotation and the video is absolute art.

#15 The Cure - Lady Gaga

hqdefault.jpg

By far and away the best pure pop song of the year. Gaga's return to form with a mature twist and better than everything on Joanne. 

#14 Wild Thoughts - Dj khaled, Rihanna, Bryson tiller

NjIzMmExZjk3MyMvUFRJNUVLRWRpeXp5Nm9EOTk4

I love Maria, Maria and this took a while to grow on me honestly. But once it did I played it over and over and over. Rihanna is so sexy on this. I think it could've done without Bryson, but he does a hip hop moment that made it as big as it was.

#13 Get You - Daniel Caesar

c44691_1ddae609aff648f996c99846fb5bc11b~

The most beautiful song from the most beautiful album released this year.

#12 Sign of the Times - Harry Styles

landscape-1494248523-harry-styles-sign-o

I was never a One Direction fan so I was extremely hesitant to give this a chance. I was pleasantly surprised and this song made me a fan of Harry's. 

#11 Bambi - Jidenna

jiden.gif?w=350&h=135&crop=1&resize=350,

It's just sooooo good. 

Edited by montrealxo

On 12/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, soml said:

Cut to the Feeling, Summer Bummer y Want you Back :alexz: 

all bops!

On 12/22/2017 at 8:44 PM, Playa Playa said:

Bank Account and Bodak Yellow :clap3:

I like Biking too. Solo version is my favourite.

I go back and forth. Jay and Tyler's verses are dope but the solo version just feels more genuine. 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:05 PM, Wicked said:

Bank Account, Bodak & Slippery! Yas!

:alexz:

Jidenna's album was good... Why did nobody talk about it :rip: I still haven't listened to The Cure, tbh I don't really care for Gaga but as long as it's better than Joanne.

6 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Jidenna's album was good... Why did nobody talk about it :rip: I still haven't listened to The Cure, tbh I don't really care for Gaga but as long as it's better than Joanne.

he always gets looked over, but honestly it's his fault for terrible singles besides Classic Man. Bambi should've smashed though. I think he might just not have that good of a team 

and he's such a snack when he don't look like a cartoon villian :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.