montrealXO Best Music Videos of 2017 #10-1

montrealxo

50op.jpg

I've been around awhile, but this is my first year participating in this. My taste is extremely varied so it'll be a little bit of everything from everywhere. I'll also include about a paragraph for each entry on all the countdowns so you all can know why I think they're all so great. I'll try to make it both insightful and interesting. I'm also really into tv and movies, so if it seems like anyone's actually paying attention I'll do a countdown of my favorite movies and tv shows as well. 

50 songs

10 albums

10 music videos

Edited by montrealxo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montrealxo

• Wicked

• Pink Matter

• Playa Playa

TOP 50 Songs
#50-41 - 12/19/17

Spoiler

50. Boys - Charlie XCX

49. The Gate - Bjork

48. See You Again - Tyler the Creator 

47. Tell Me You Love Me - Demi Lovato

46. Now or Never - Halsey

45. Location - Khalid

44. Deadly Valentine - Charlotte Gainsbourg

43. Know - Syd

42. Lemon - N.E.R.D. ft Rihanna

41. Love - Lana Del Rey

#40-31 - 12/20/17

Spoiler

40. Hard Times - Paramore

39. Pineapple Skies - Miguel

38. Messy Love - Mura Masa

37. Mask Off - Future

36. You Already Know - Fergie ft. Nicki Minaj

35. Big Fish - Vince Staples

34. New Rules - Dua Lipa

33. Sip Test - Matthew Progress

32. It's a Vibe - 2 Chainz ft. Ty Dolla Sign, Trey Songz and Jhene Aiko

31. By Design - Kid Cudi ft. Andre 3000

#30-21 - 12/22/17

Spoiler

30. Feel It Still - Portugal the Man

29. Humble - Kendrick Lamar

28. Cut to the Feeling - Carly Rae Jepsen

27. Bank Account - 21 Savage

26. New York - St. Vincent

25. Slippery - Migos ft. Gucci Mane

24. Summer Bummer - Lana Del Rey ft. Asap Rocky and Playboi Carti

23. Bodak Yellow - Cardi B

22. Want You Back - Haim

21. Biking - Frank Ocean ft. Jay Z and Tyler the Creator

#20-11 - 12/23

Spoiler

20. xo tour life - Lil Uzi Vert
19.Bad Liar - Selena Gomez
18 Dark Red - Steve Lacy
17 Issues - Julia Michaels
16 Loyalty - Kendrick Lamar ft Rihanna
15 The Cure - Lady Gaga
14 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled, Rihanna, Bryson Tiller
13 Get You - Daniel Caesar
12 Sign of the Times - Harry Styles
11 Bambi - Jidenna

#10-1 - 12/26

Spoiler

10 havana - camila cabella ft young thug
9 crew - goldlink ft shy glizzy
8 doubt - charlotte day wilson
7 drew barrymore - sza
6 redbone - childish gambino
5 chanel - frank ocean
4 magnolia - playboi carti
3 green light - lorde
2 disco **** - tove lo
1 slide - calvin harris, frank ocean, migos

Top 10 Albums - 

Spoiler

10. Tell Me You Love Me - Demi Lovato

9. Freudian - Daniel Caesar

8. Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 - Calvin Harris

7. Sweetsexysavage - Khelani

6. Blue Lips - Tove Lo 

5. Awaken My Love - Childish Gambino

4. Playboi Carti - Playboi Carti

3. Damn - Kendrick Lamar

2. Ctrl - SZA

1. Melodrama - SZA

Music Videos - 

Spoiler

10 Love - Lana Del Rey

9 Lift - Radiohead

8 Drew Barrymore - SZA

7 New Rules - Dua Lipa

6 Story of O.J. - Jay Z

5 New York - St. Vincent

4 Spirit - J Hus

3 Humble - Kendrick Lamar

2 Green Light - Lorde

1 The Gate - Bjork

Edited by montrealxo

Yas!! One of the 3 Maxwell fans on here, we have to support each other.

6 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Yas!! One of the 3 Maxwell fans on here, we have to support each other.

yes! your taste :clap3:

perched in your list 

#50 Boys - Charlie XCX

LikelyEminentIceblueredtopzebra-small.gi

Sometimes it's hard to tell if you love a song because of the music video or if you love the music video because you love the song. Either way, Charlie XCX delivered. The song is pop perfection and the eye candy is A1. Love the song, love the video or both. Either way, she had us thinking of boys of all different varieties; a pastime I don't mind sharing with one of music's most original and unapologetic personalities. :heart2:

#49 The Gate - Björk

bjorknotget.gif

This is another song that came to my attention through the music video. I've never been a fan of Björk' music as much as I admire her guts and willingness to do whatever the hell she wants. After watching the video several times, I couldn't get the song out of my head. To my surprise, the lyrics were deeper and  heartfelt than I would've imagined. She chooses quality over quantity when writing. I was both moved and impressed. 

#48 See You Again - Tyler The Creator

tumblr_o6zucsFzQO1tukj1zo1_400.gif

Apparently, Tyler wrote this song for Zayn Malik, but was stood up in the studio. I don't see how this would've fit Zayn's style, but it was perfect for a more subdued and relatable Tyler. The hook is catchy, the bars are almost sane and the production is beautiful. It's just quality feel good hip hop.

Edited by montrealxo

# 47 Tell Me You Love Me - Demi Lovato

tumblr_p0aju6KOUr1r819gao2_500.gif

Arguably, the most naturally talented of all the ex-acts, Demi seemed to always lag behind in some way. When Miley, Selena and Ariana were topping the charts, we were all just rooting for Demi to crack the Top 20. While this song is still just getting started on the charts, it's miles better (IMO) than her lead single Sorry Not Sorry which was fun but uninspired. With Tell Me You Love Me, Demi got to do what Demi does that the rest of her peers can't do (as well) and that's SANG! Plus she we got a cameo from fine a** Jesse Williams. Hopefully the momentum carries into 2018. 

#46 Now or Never - Halsey

tumblr_ony9qgIJOA1vvrrmfo3_r1_500.gif

I don't have much to say about this one. I loved Needed Me and I'm rooting for Halsey so this worked for me.

The Gate >>> And kii I thought you meant Tyler wrote See You Again about Zayn but then I read further along lol.

So far, so good! Can't wait to see Chanel chart high :eatpopcorn:

#45 Location - Khalid

ThinRaggedKob-size_restricted.gif

Khalid has a one of a kind voice and his own unique style of production. It's r&b, but it's pop, but it's also kind of hip hop. I think this song smashed because of the super relatable "send me your location" that we've all sent after a night of drinking to the wrong person. The song is a vibe and a sign of good things to come from Khalid.

I like all these so far except Halsey... Cause I never listened. Jesse is in fact fine tho, Demi won :dies:

10 minutes ago, oceans said:

Tell me you love me>>> Now or never>Boys but all are cute

giphy.gif 

:heart2:

5 minutes ago, Playa Playa said:

The Gate >>> And kii I thought you meant Tyler wrote See You Again about Zayn but then I read further along lol.

So far, so good! Can't wait to see Chanel chart high :eatpopcorn:

Haha. he might've. Zayn would probably be his type with blond hair. even though Tyler's 99% probably trolling us

it definitely will. i'm so biased but he's so good 

#44 Deadly Valentine - Charlotte Gainsbourg

00-promo.gif

I have a soft spot for disco so this song was on heavy repeat when I found it. The layered vocals over the deep bass is intoxicating. It also helps that the video is it's own piece of art. This song hasn't blown up and probably won't because hip hop is king of the charts right now, but it has some of the best production of any song period this year. It's one of those songs where there first few times you hear it, something new pop out of the instrumental. I'm glad I found it.

Edited by montrealxo

20 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I like all these so far except Halsey... Cause I never listened. Jesse is in fact fine tho, Demi won :dies:

she's not as bad as people think, but it's not at all soulful honestly so i'm not sure if it's your cup of tea

Jesse just got divorced and Demi's engagement is over. if she didn't have a girlfriend i think she would've. he's actually younger than her ex-fiance too

#43 Know - Syd

giphy-1.gif

While we wait patiently for a follow up to Ego Death that we might not get, each member of the Internet seemed to have their own solo projects. None of them are in the same league as Syd's solo debut Fin.The album is full of introspective and sensual modern r&b, with Syd's voice gliding over sleek production. The highlight for me was Know. The smooth, but still frantic production and Syd's soft falsetto brought back melodic memories of Aaliyah. It's baby making music you can listen to with a blunt or a glass of wine. Too bad it wasn't a single.

42 Lemon-N.E.R.D ft. Rihanna

tumblr_oyr1u9UYLg1s78x4wo1_540.gif

I'm a huge N.E.R.D. fan, but I love Rihanna's verse. So much. I rewind it repeatedly. It's f**kin saucy. The video is insane. The beat is insane. I can't wait to hear this out on NYE. Ugh Rih really bodied this!

#41 Love - Lana Del Rey

eb343179124962fa3d9e53312e1ff70c.gif

Every now and then I'll hear a song and think "that would've been huge ___ years ago." The production soars and Lana casually sings the chorus the way she always does. The melody has timesless quality to it that sets it apart from her other singles. This is a song that could've smashed in every decade of modern music, but was somehow released in the period of time when it wouldn't. But that's the irony of Lana Del Rey in general, I guess. 

47 minutes ago, montrealxo said:

she's not as bad as people think, but it's not at all soulful honestly so i'm not sure if it's your cup of tea

Jesse just got divorced and Demi's engagement is over. if she didn't have a girlfriend i think she would've. he's actually younger than her ex-fiance too

I'll give it a try in a bit :celestial5:

I need to listen to this NERD album. :rip:

8 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I'll give it a try in a bit :celestial5:

I need to listen to this NERD album. :rip:

me too.  Seeing Sounds one of my all time favorites, but their last album was eh and pharrell's last so album was eh so i'm not as amped to hear it as i thought i would be

i think i really just have unrealistic expectations for pharrell 

Boys is really THAT song, you should listen to her mixtape Number 1 Angel if you want more by Charli! :heart2:

Demi, Khalid, Halsey, Rih >>>

Love is one of my favorite songs of the year, I totally agree with your analysis. :clap3:

52 minutes ago, and.y said:

Boys is really THAT song, you should listen to her mixtape Number 1 Angel if you want more by Charli! :heart2:

Demi, Khalid, Halsey, Rih >>>

Love is one of my favorite songs of the year, I totally agree with your analysis. :clap3:

I like new song with Tove Lo. I honestly just looked at her as the "boom clap" girl until Boys. always late to the party with the indie pop girls 

#40 Hard Times - Paramore

tumblr_oontunKqGw1sq1l9mo1_500.gif

While I'm unashamedly apart of the solo Hayley camp, I always seem to love Paramore's singles. It was a fun turn for them, and they managed to keep their signature sound with a nod to the tropical inspired tunes that have been ruling 
the charts the last year or so. Hayley's voice is as distinct and catchy as ever. It's good power pop with a feel good message. It would do us all some good to yell "i'm not gonna hit rock bottom" with the wind in our hair and our troubles in the far corners of our mind. 

Edited by montrealxo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.