Reinvention's Sticky & Sweet Top 25 ? | #1

Tropical

Living for your layout. I have been loving all of the entries so far. Not a huge fan of "Boys" but still like it. Huge fan of "Feels" though!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tropical

• Lazuli

• Legend E

• madonnas

6mMZiy2.png

19. Think About You
- LÉON

vRdo7ID.png

This song has kinda blown up thanks to featuring on some Spotify playlists I think – it’s where I first discovered it, and upon recently playing it with friends I was surprised at how many others knew of it thanks to Spotify playlists. It’s really beautiful. LÉON has a very Adele-esque voice and the song is in the style of Adele too, but in my opinion better. I love Adele but I never find her music very accessible, or her songs. The lyrics in “Think About You” really punch me in the gut. “Can’t get along, can’t be alone. Where’s your mind at, are you on your own?” aka. Me being depressed while obsessing over somebody even though I want to be alone. I also love the lyric “heavy hearted trouble on my mind” – it depicts how I feel in words in a way I’ve never been able to articulate. Often I too feel like I have a lot going on, but it’s all bottled up and invisible to others.

LEON's ep was really cute. Great choice

• ATRL Moderator

I love your list so far. I don't know this particular song tho.

Léon :eek: Stan!

There's the "Feels" love that I was hoping to see at some point. That collab doesn't sound like it should work at all, but it does, and it's wonderful.

• ATRL Moderator

Feels is one of my least favorite songs of the year but I'm loving your sweets theme :gaycat2: Making me hungry!

IexQAM9.png

18. Everyday
- Perfume

MtDfm2A.png

Perfume’s style is heavy EDM with robotic, emotion-less vocals to be paired with a choreo heavy highly stylised video. “Everyday” is sort of one of only a handful of songs the group has that doesn’t stick to the aforementioned script. It’s an upbeat, happy, feel-good song with sweet lyrics, an infectious tropical xylophone-like hook and it makes me feel relaxed and happy. The only downsides to “Everyday” are that it features in a bizarre washing detergent ad in Japan, and it features on the “If you wanna” EP that has a truly tragic cover.

9BzSurg.png

17. ...Ready For It?
- Taylor Swift

4jNCRm7.png

To be honest the video for this song won me over – despite being a somewhat racially insensitive mess, I loved Scarlett Johansson's recent Ghost in the Shell and “…Ready For It?” blatantly borrows HEAVILY from the Sci-Fi style. That being said – I love that style, and it was cool to see Taylor use it for such an enormously big budgeted video. It’s a simple concept but it’s expertly pulled off, and one can’t drag Joseph Kahn too much when he pulls off Hollywood blockbuster level quality in music videos. Anyway, thanks to the video I now love the “In the middle of the night, in my dreams you can see the things we do baby” part of the song the most. It’s like a sweet eye-of-the-storm amongst a very noisy, base-heavy banger.

oCO18PF.png

16. Malibu
- Miley Cyrus

8iI5Jh9.png

Having paid Miley dust for most of her career, I was surprised to hear her new song and not only like it, but really like it. Queen of summery jams! (even though it was released when New Zealand was heading into winter) However I travelled South East Asia for 4 months during the year and it was the perfect song to listen to while lazing on the small Thai island of Koh Lipe watching the sun go down (and feeling hopelessly depressed and lonely cause the song is actually about being in love lol). It’s just nice to hear some simple pop music from her that isn’t screeching and yelling, her voice is at its best when being sung gently – similarly to Marina and the Diamonds.

Edited by Reinvention

I guess you're the only person that likes the video for ...RFI? :-* 

Malibu :clap3: 

"... Ready For It" Sci-Fi video is stunning, it made me like the song.

• ATRL Moderator
21 hours ago, Reinvention said:

IexQAM9.png

18. Everyday
- Perfume

MtDfm2A.png

Perfume’s style is heavy EDM with robotic, emotion-less vocals to be paired with a choreo heavy highly stylised video. “Everyday” is sort of one of only a handful of songs the group has that doesn’t stick to the aforementioned script. It’s an upbeat, happy, feel-good song with sweet lyrics, an infectious tropical xylophone-like hook and it makes me feel relaxed and happy. The only downsides to “Everyday” are that it features in a bizarre washing detergent ad in Japan, and it features on the “If you wanna” EP that has a truly tragic cover.

I liked If You Wanna more at first but this one stood the test of time

69GFXRT.png

15. Swish Swish (featuring Nicki Minaj)
- Katy Perry

TANAeK7.png

The second I heard this song was about Taylor I was like “Lorde here we go” and rolled my eyes – but then I was shook when she really POPPED OFF with the “Your game is tired, you should retire” line which was a little bit of a kii considering the state of Witness compared to the dominance of reputation. Anyway, Katy did the best skull drag she could and Nicki really came through and delivered on this track which was shocking. I think we’re all used to dial-a-Nicki-verse that we were all like “ugh” when we heard she was coming along to taint the album, but lo-and-behold she saved the whole thing. And she was flawless in the video with the “Get it together Katy” line. Queen of rap snapped. But yeah – it’s surprising this track wasn’t bigger than it was. Guess the GP really are Katy’d out. It’s funny, once again she’s in the footsteps of Gaga – who everyone was totally sick of after her Born This Way global domination. (Side thought: was the Born This Way promo campaign one of the biggest on record?)

UGH i hate this countdown

it makes me so HUNGRY lol

good list so far :clap3: love Feels and Fetish especially

Malibu, ...Ready For It. :clap3: 

And these pics make me really want some desserts. :dies: 

E0JtzfG.png

14. Sober
- Lorde

8uTSpQJ.png

This song is confusing because it’s just so unexplainable – it really doesn’t sound like anything else, that I’m aware of anyway. The gentle build up and release heading towards the chorus with the “But my hips have missed your hips, so let’s get to know the kicks…” line is so euphoric. However the most interesting part of the song is how so many conflicting sounds seem to work together in sync. It’s surprisingly cohesive, and I bet it was a production nightmare to make it so. I know there’s an interview where she talks in-depth on each of the album’s song and for “Sober” she struggled cause she couldn’t really explain what the song was supposed to be until it was kinda well underway. Artistic legend. Anyway, the final result speaks for itself – original, talented, amazing, show-stopping, never the same, not afraid to reference or not reference, vomit on it, **** on it, give birth to it etc.

Sober is such a masterpiece, I wish it had been released as a proper single.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.