Lee's Best of 2017 | Top 225 TV Series: 25-1

Lee!!

• ATRL Administrator

BIxpHbH.png

The Top 225 TV Series: 25-1

clear.gif

BncDEfF.png
25) "GLOW" Netflix
GLOW follows the start of a women's wrestling league and TV series based on the real life GLOW series, but not a straightforward recreation. We see the inception to performance throughout the first season. The cast alone pulled me in, but the storylines they focused on were so compelling, I was hooked instantly. They have such amazing group of characters to pull from every episode. It is fun and I really enjoyed this one. The training, the characters they develop for their acts and the scenarios they find themselves in all work and are hilarious. I was ready for more when the first season came to an end. Luckily, the show was renewed

F3miOfQ.png
24) "Good Behavior" TNT

Last Year: 28

I love this show so freaking much. The show continued to follow Letty, a con woman and thief who is always trying to do the best thing for herself and her family, and he boyfriend Javier, a hit man. It's not just that simple though. They're caught up in a crazy world where the FBI is after them, she's trying to raise her son, and he's trying to not let his hit jobs affect everyone else. But clearly it wasn't going to be that simple. They have to get themselves out of so many situations, go on jobs of varying criminality, and deal with family issues on both sides. The show is funny, suspenseful, sexy and a great ride. If this doesn't get renewed for season 3 it would be a damn shame. Get your act together TNT and renew it!

RnFuvMY.png
23) "One Day at a Time" Netflix
One Day at a Time is a reboot and remake of the classic series with the same name. This time, the family is a Latino family, but they still deal with a whole slew of topics, and they are very current and topical. The show has really deep moments, really hilarious moments, and often pulls hard on the heartstrings. It is also a multicam format. It is so impressive. The mom is a military vet with PTSD trying to provide all she can for her family. The daughter is growing up and trying to figure out who she is. The song is dealing also with growing up in a family of strong women. Their handyman is there for the laughs. And Rita Moreno delivers like she always does in every role. It's an amazing cast and amazing series. I can't wait for season 2 to premiere later next month!

VoSk1Lu.png
22) "The Carmichael Show" NBC

Last Year: 34

The Carmichael Show returned for a third season of laughs and real life topics discussed between a close knit family. The show is minimal in the locations, mostly occurring in living rooms and kitchen, but they're not important. The characters bring everything to the series. They tackled topics like mass shootings, adultery, consensual sex, and supporting the troops. They don't shy away from all sides of the discussions. They get real often and sometimes come to a consensus, but often still stick by their opinions. The show is also a multicam, and the humor is there, often subtle but effective. In the end, NBC and Jerrod parted ways at the end of the season and the show will not continue. I'm glad we got as many episodes as we did!

X7cXYaY.png
21) "Bates Motel" A&E

Last Year: 16
Bates Motel went into its final season after a pivotal moment in the mythology of Psycho. Having an endgame was highly effective for the show. They knew where they had to get to and where they were going so everything was perfectly put together. We got to see Norman deal with his life and his descent deeper into his split personality of being his own mother, Norma. We see him get infatuated with other women, always with Mother in the back of his mind. I was sad we didn't get to see the real Norma, but Vera Farminga hit it out of the park as usual. We also saw Normans brother and his old friend try to start a life together, but their concern for Norman crept back in and were pulled back into his orbit. They also did their own take on the iconic shower scene, which was weird, but worked in their own world. They were a prequel, but it worked in its own take on the universe. A great ending to a great series. I'll miss it.

hnKbAM7.png
20) "This Is Us" NBC

Last Year: 20
This Is Us returned to make everyone cry yet again in season 2. We got to see deeper into the whole family past, while tying it in to the current timeline in many ways. We got 3 special episodes focused on the three kids in the past and present. The cast week to week deliver some amazing acting. The storylines are current, fresh and are full of heart. We saw Kate deal with her relationship and career. We saw Kevin deal with the stresses of working on a movie and suffering an injury. We saw Randall and Beth become foster parents. We saw Rebecca and Jack deal with their demons and issues. We saw so much. The show is on another level and I'm so glad it exists. It's already renewed for a third season but before that, I can't wait to see what else this season brings.

uZnl16v.png

19) "Homeland" Showtime

This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 13. After an extended break, the show returned this year, and also returned to the US after spending a few seasons abroad. The show is almost always timely, dealing with real world issues before they even are real world issues. This season dealt with an election and forces working for and against candidates and trying to influence others. They also filmed a part of the show in a location next door to my old high school so it was cool seeing them in a place I saw daily for year haha. The acting was spot on like always, the suspense was there, and we saw a major death shake things up at the end of the season. If you gave up after the first few season, it turned into a more '24' like show and is just as strong. The show will return next year, and I can't wait to see the fallout from the events of the finale when it comes back.

l8I8oIR.png
18) "The Expanse" Syfy

Last Year: 33
The Expanse returned after a stellar first season dealing with a solid core group all brought together due to the actions of the finale. We got to see the world building grow even more, we got to see the conclusion of the first story arc set up in the first season. We got to see the fallout of it and shaped the world even more and upped the stakes. We got to also meet Bobbie Draper. Bobbie. Fucking. Draper. One of the most kickass, badass female characters to grace our screens this year. She also got to share a whole lot of amazing scenes with Avasarala. Those scenes were standouts. It is one of the best space dramas I've watched and keeps me glued to my TV every week. The show is based off a book series which i wanted to check out, but I never got to it. In a way I'm excited to not be spoiled by possible future storylines by not reading, but I may still check them out. Either way, I cannot wait to see where the third season will go and how they can top two already amazing seasons.

8iFfEFy.png
17) "Orphan Black" BBC America

Last Year: 14
Orphan Black returned for its final season this year to give us closure to our favorite clones. I was so excited to see how they would bring everything together and really scared that they would kill of a clone or two. What we got was a great final chapter to an amazing series. We got to see Cosima fight to figure out a cure for the disease killing her, we got to see Helena handle pregnancy and birth, we got to see Rachel be Rachel and both root against and slightly bad for her, we got to see Alison get her life in order, we got to see Mrs S fight for those she loves, we got to see Donny take on an even bigger role with Alison and Helena, we got to see Sarah try to take down those conspiring against her and her family, we got to see Felix find happiness, we got to see Art get justice, we got to see a lot. It was a great ride. Sad at time, funny at times, but in the end it was a perfect cap to the series. I'll miss Tatiana and her portrayal of all the clones for sure.

fJqnbZ5.png
16) "Mr. Robot" USA

Last Year: 12
I enjoyed Season 2 of Mr. Robot more than many people did. I knew and saw the flaws, the over complication at points and the minor lack of focus. I still loved it. In season 3, we saw a step up in cohesion, the drama remained at an all time high, and yes there were still some things that bothered me, but they were minor in comparison to the arc that season 3 established. The highlight was episode 5 for sure. It was essentially shot as one giant long shot (with obvious yet hard to notice cuts and takes), which only heightened the urgency and suspense and fear of what was to come. It was beautifully shot, beautifully acted, and captured all of the best parts of this show. We got to see Elliot fight with Mr. Robot, we got to see what came of Tyrell, we got to see how Angela grew and broke down over her involvement, we got to see Darlene and Dom interact and so so so much more. It was dark, twisty, suspenseful, and brought in some great new characters too. I can't wait for it to come back.

Qeja2qw.png

15) "You're The Worst" FXX

Last Year: 8
You're The Worst returned this season following the shocking twist at the end of last season which left Jimmy and Gretchen apart from each other for a while trying to navigate life without each other and yet still longing for each other in their own twisted ways. There were some great standalone-ish episodes, like one which saw Gretchen return to her hometown, and all the crazy things that she did instead of actually visiting the people she was supposed to be visiting. We saw Jimmy progress as a published writer and how he messed up a lot personally and professionally along the way. We got to see Lindsay post divorce and her trying to navigate her new life with a new job. Edgar, oh poor Edgar, we got to see him excel and we got to see him being poor old Edgar. Pretty much everyone falls back into old habits in one way or another, yet also grow. This show never disappoints and always finds ways to be fresh and funny and twisted and wrong and always highly entertaining. Another great season.

z2Vznmm.png
14) "Better Things" FX

Last Year: 29
Better Things is such a great "snapshot of life" series. We get to see Sam navigating life one day at a time dealing with her kids, her mother, her love life, her work life, and everything in between. It is sweet, it is sad, it is fumy, it is deep, and it is topical. One episode which really stood out was the one where Sam made her kids eulogize her. It was so freaking impressive. This is Pamela's show through and through. She does so much on screen, and even more behind the camera. Season 2 brought it even more and stepped up its game, which it really didn't have to do because it was already a slam dunk in season 1. I can't wait to see what she brings next and what fresh takes on life and work and love and growing up she brings to the table next season.

bQ04YwN.png
13) "Master of None" Netflix
This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 9. I love this show. It's so authentic in the way it approaches different topics. First we start off with Dev in Italy learning to make pasta like he was shown leaving to do at the end of season one. The first episode is essentially a black and white art film with its gaze clearly a love for all things old timey film, a beautiful locale, and an amazing story to tell. It was so good. Once he returned from his trip to Italy, we got to see more of his buddies from home and we got to see him focus on things like dating in New York, we got to see an amazing coming out story with Denise, we got a great episode tackling Religion which brought back Aziz's real life parents again, and we got to see a love story blossom throughout. I found it just as captivating as the first season. The show is real as hell and I'll watch it as long as Aziz and co keep making episodes.

XEKTDOT.png
12) "Stranger Things" Netflix

Last Year: 11
Stranger Things came back for season two and I was initially nervous that they wouldn't be able to uphold the suspense, the great characters, the sci-fi and everything else which they masterfully balanced in the first season. I was happy to see that they in fact were able to keep it up and push it forward and make it even more exciting. We got to see a lot more of Will which I actually liked. He spent most of the first season lost, this time his story had more real world and real time consequences. We got to see a different story to a degree for Eleven. The kids all had great storylines, the new kids were interesting and the adults delivered again. Hopper is such a great character. It really is a well done, well thought out show, that is sci-fi, yet that's not the part of it that is the main focus. It's about people, and interactions and great storytelling. All that with a little sci-fi pushing the show more and more. I love it. I can't wait for season 3.

NSsdrCq.png
11) "The Sinner" USA
A week or so before the series began, I wasn't even sure I was going to watch this one. It seemed like a slow thriller that I might not enjoy. I was so wrong and so happy I checked this show out. Jessica Biel plays a woman who commits a grave crime in public and the cop in charge of the case delves in to try and find out why this seemingly normal young housewife was able to act so violently. The show was deep and twisted and complicated to the point that we were trying to find out along with the cop why she did what she did. It was a great mystery with great acting and the song which was a big part of the storyline was infectious as hell. At first I thought it would get annoying, but in a way it became a character in itself. when you heard it, you knew something would go down or we were going to learn something important. it had a great twist ending, and if USA could find a way to bring it back, I'd gladly watch more. It was a great ride.

38t11dK.png
10) "Rick and Morty" adult swim
This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 6. I was so happy Rick and Morty came back finally for season 3. First we got the surprise April Fools Day episode which was amazing on its own and left me longing for the rest of the season. When it did return, it didn't disappoint at all. We got to see Rick and Morty and sometimes Summer go on some epic adventures fighting aliens and creatures, messing up many times along the way, yet everything worked out (to a degree) in the end for them. We got to meet Pickle Rick! We saw the return of a character from season 1 in an epic episode which didn't focus on the main Rick and Morty we know, but all of the other Rick and Morty's at the citadel. It was one of the standout episodes for sure. We got to see Beth and Jerry's lives now that they were separated to hilarious outcomes. We had some other characters show up again. It was a good ole fun time. I hate that we have to wait even more for another season. These waits between seasons are killer!

SPDtvFi.png
9) "Veep" HBO

Last Year: 3
Veep had an ambitious season this year. Story wise, we left last season with Selina Meyer out of office and all of her staff and cabinet with an unknown future. When the show picks up, the team is separated in various new jobs and roles in and out of the political world of Washington DC. It was awkward as always. It was sad as always. It was hilarious as always. I just wish we had the team all together more. Peak Veep is when all of the characters are interacting in every scene, but the season was still just as strong in my opinion. I loved all of the misfortunes everyone faced and yet as always in its own was remained hopeful for everyone, to different degrees. Will Selina run again? Will the team interact more next time? The next season will in fact be the final season, and it may be delayed due to Julia's real life cancer diagnosis. Whenever it does return, I'm ready and excited to see how they wrap up this amazing series.

N395Doo.png
8) "Star Trek: Discovery" CBS All Access
I loved this new Star Trek series so so so much. It was fresh, it was different, it was deep and it all felt very Star Trek the whole time. The first two episodes in a way are a prequel to the series which it will be the rest of the ride. We meet Michael Burnham, a human raised by Vulcans who struggles between her human emotions and Vulcan ways of logic over all. She's skilled at what she does, and yet makes choices which go against her upbringing which have extreme consequences. In this world of Star Trek, which is essentially a prequel to the entire universe, they are at war with the Kingons. The ship Discovery is working on crating a weapon which can help them win the war. She is brought on and at first doesn't fit in, but eventually she comes together with the entire team to become a formidable cast of characters. While they don't explore worlds and species as often as other Star Treks have, it has its own strong identity and remains truthful to the universe (aside from the new Kingon costumes lol) I love it and can't wait for the second half of the season to return next week.

QGfhS1E.png
7) "Steven Universe" Cartoon Network

Last Year: 7
Steven Universe is still such an incredible and deep show which is technically aimed at kids. It has such an amazing mythology. It has such great characters. It has such deep moments which are then offset by more kid-ish episode where the deeper storylines are pushed aside. They are necessary in my opinion to keep world building and bringing out new and different characteristics in all the characters. We had a giant hiatus this year between new episodes which was hard to take. I would watch this show everyday if it were possible. This year we even got story and character growth for Lars, a character which deeply needed it. He then became an important piece to the entire series which I think we will see play out next week in the 'Stranded' event. I will love this show until the very end. And I hope that inevitable end is way way way down the line from now. Just give me more frequent episodes Cartoon Network!!!!

lfFooMj.png
6) "Legion" FX
This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 3. This show was masterfully done all around. Storywise, it was compelling and deep and twisted and well thought out. We got to meet so many great characters and got a lot out of them. Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza did such amazing jobs it was almost criminal that thy didn't get much award nomination buzz. We had an amazing villain which plagued everything and everyone in one way or another. Visually, the series was shot in such an amazing and beautiful way. We had such creative shots with such depth and texture and layering and it was perfect. Even audibly the show was a masterpiece. At times, the sound played such an important role, it could almost be its own character. It wasn't just a great comic book inspired series. It was a great series period. It was creative and new and thought provoking. I was constantly on the edge of my seat and dreaded having to wait a week between each new episodes. I have no idea where they could go next season. Hopefully it'll be back real soon.

VlkfVtf.png
5) "The Leftovers" HBO

This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 2. This show returned for a final, shortened, season to wrap up two seasons of amazing work. Season 2 stepped it up in such a way, it felt wrapping everything up would be impossible. But they did it in such a beautiful and always though provoking way which captivated me the entire ride. We saw the core group deal with the aftermath of the last season finale, and then move on again. We ended up in a third main location which helped bring even more depth to the series. We saw Matt deal with the world again within context of his own spiritual background. His book about Kevin was a great thread which ran through everyone and brought much conflict and story for everyone. We got an amazing final episode which played a perfect bookend for an amazing ride. We got many answers, some still lingering. It left it closed, yet open ended to interpretation. The final monologue from Carrie Coon is why TV is my favorite choice of entertainment. It was complex and deep. It was the perfect emotional cap to an already emotional series. I'm glad HBO didn't rush this one and the wait was worth it. I will miss this show so much.

AvMEAVP.png
4) "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" CW

Last Year: 9
If you're confused as to why I would put this so high, you clearly haven't seen this amazing series. The show is not simply about a crazy woman obsessed with her ex boyfriend. It has so many layers. It is funny. It is sad. It is deep. It is complex. And yes, there is singing. And somehow it all works perfectly together. This season we got to dive deeper into Rebecca's emotional well being. We see her hit lows like no other. She pushes people away, she goes dark, and she somehow comes out of it remaining hopeful for a better life. We had amazing songs like "Let's Generalize About Men", "I Go To The Zoo" and "First Penis I Saw". They may seem silly, but they work perfectly into each episode. It's a wonderfully crafted series. You root for everyone. You see also how everyone is crazy in their own way with each character. Everyone goes through their own crazy. We also got a third opening theme song, which at first I didn't love but grew to love it, especially when it tied directly into an episode. I can only hope the CW lets this one survive another season because I don't want to go on without it! I can't wait for it to return next week.

6xgEViF.png
3) "Game of Thrones" HBO

Last Year: 4
Game of Thrones had such an exciting and thrilling second to last season. Having an endpoint helped bring up the action and suspense and big OMG moments. We had such an incredible season which had multiple storylines converging into the final arc which will play out (likely) in 2019. They have set such an incredible lead in to what will likely be an explosive final act. We saw Jon and Daenerys finally meet. We had a reunion finally between Arya and Sansa which seemed to be heading in one direction, which only ended up being a fake out in the end to make a point which was well worth it. We saw battles play out between the White Walkers and everyone south of the wall. We saw epic meetups between all sides of the fight for the throne. We saw allegiances and backstabbing and death and sex and all of the great things which make Game of Thrones such an exciting show. I don't want to say goodbye to this one, but they already have 5 potential spinoffs or so in the works so when the show does end, we're not saying goodbye to the universe completely. I can't wait for the final season!

szpQ32k.png
2) "Better Call Saul" AMC

Last Year: 5

Better Call Saul is such an incredible slow burn. There may not be fireworks and chaos and stuff like that, but the interpersonal intricacies between characters are so deep and well thought out, it makes it so exciting in its own way. Every single actor on this series brings their A game every week. They aren't actors, they become the characters they are playing. We got to see an important Breaking Bad character show up too. As seen in the image, Gus finally shows up. The way he plays into this Breaking Bad prequel is so incredibly played. The best part is the relationships between characters. There is such a dance and there are complications between each and every character. They dive deep and pull out everything. The best is the portrayal of Jimmy and his brother Chuck. Its sad and heartbreaking the direction their relationship took. The courtroom scene and pretty much everything in the episode Chicanery was perfect. The shock ending of the season will definitely shape Jimmy into the man we met on Breaking Bad and will truly become Saul.

AND THE NUMBER 1 TV SHOW IS…

1) "The Americans" FX
Last Year: 1

Like Better Call Saul, The Americans is a slow burn with so much payoff. Things from every past season show up when you least expect it to varying outcomes. This leads to each season not just being vital to the individual season, but to the overall picture and story laid out over the course of the entire run so far. With it getting a two season renewal, with the second being the final season, it allowed this season to be slower and more of a set up for the final act which will be no doubt incredible. We saw Paige deal with her parents being spies and how she fits into the family because of the fact that she knows. We saw the Jennings deal with the hard harsh facts that them being spies has many real world complications which they cannot always turn their heads to anymore. They're ready to be done with it all to different degrees, but they have a duty and devotion to their country. We also got a surprise revisit to a character we thought we said goodbye to last season. The secrecy behind her appearance was impressive. She wasn't even the main focus but she took all of the focus once it was realized. We got another look at her later in the season also which in a way gives her a happy ending, should they not revisit her again. This show is complex and well worth the constant buildup of story over each season. The final season already looks amazing based on the promo pictures that they released recently. I don't wait to say goodbye to this amazing drama!!

-----
There it is! The best shows of 2017 are done! This year I missed out on a lot of shows I wanted to watch or series I didn't get to which I loved last year :( Hopefully I'll get to them soon. Maybe I'll make a list of those, but for now I plan on doing music. We'll see! :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee!!

• Wicked

• Playa Playa

• Maddox

I loved Glow so much :heart2: I also stan Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, and Rick and Morty :alexz: I've seen all of The Americans except the latest season, I need to catch up on it and on Better Call Saul and Steven Universe :jonny: also want to see many other shows listed in your top 25 but just haven't got around to it

Stranger Things at 11 last year. I see what you did there...

Better Call Saul, Legion, The Leftovers, The Americans, Master of None, etc,. :clap3:

S3 of Mr. Robot is its best yet but it's sad people quit it during S2.

4 hours ago, Lee!! said:

Veep had an ambitious season this year.

More like out of touch but let me keep quiet :-$

The Letfovers, Legion, Better Things, Master Of None, Steven Universe, Crazy Ex Girlfriend :clap3: 

Edited by Maddox

Wow, great set, love Steven Universe, Rick and Morty and could see other good series there I'm willing to watch. :clap3:

Edited by Delta

I need to catch up on One Day at a Time soon!

I'm surprised The Americans topped but I agree with your thoughts on it.

YES at Crazy Ex-Girlfriend making the Top 5 this year!!! :worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2: The end of Season 2 and the first half of Season 3 were simply phenomenal television. Way more people should be watching this show :cries: 

I honestly thought Season 7 of Game of Thrones was disappointing - it was exciting, but the writing was really sloppy at times - so I'm surprised it's moved up from last year. Still a good season though (a bad season of GoT is still way better than a lot of other TV)

Orphan Black had a great final season, I actually thought Season 5 was its best season since Season 2.

I haven't gotten around to watching Season 3 of Mr. Robot yet, but I've heard great things!

Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, Better Call Saul :clap3::clap3: 

Great job with the list again this year, Lee! It's insane how much TV you watch and how much effort you put into this list every year :jonny: 

So, you watch 225 shows and every CW show is on the list, but not Dynasty? :eek: Or did i miss it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.