ready!

giphy.gif

for the mess

geR2RyA.gif

Edited by karma police

KB7FJd8.png

K2WnDeE.png

Spoiler

Have you ever stumbled upon a song that felt incredibly familiar upon your first listen, like you're almost sure you've heard it before, but not sure when and where? "Proud" is one of these. With its simplicity, remarkable lyrics and simple, arresting melody, it has the quality of a classic.

KB7FJd8.png

tumblr_nd35neloJ71rqfhi2o1_250.gif

hNQThwV.png

Spoiler

And here we are :flower: The best song of the year is the one that never fails to give me goosebumps - the breezy slow burner that is "Strangest Thing". There's so many reasons why I considered picking this as my SOTY, with the Dylan-esque lyrics or its extraordinary structure where instead of a proper chorus we're literally being BOMBED with buttery synths and explosive guitars, being only some of them. But what made me ultimately chose "Strangest Thing" is that it captures a certain emotion like nothing else released this year :alexz:

emT4sYN.png

cHlgjQG.png

Spoiler

Keeping in mind that 'Lost in the Dream' was my favorite album of 2014, I was really anxious that its follow up wouldn't be nearly as good. But when the first single came out, I knew they still had it. And it turned out that 'A Deeper Understanding' is basically a sister album to its predecessor :jonny: Those two, while being on opposite ends of the same spectrum, complete each other. They're like dusk and dawn. But 'A Deeper Understanding' isn't only a complementary piece to 'Lost in the Dream,' it works just as fine on its own. The War on Drugs are still at their peak :clap3:

emT4sYN.png

ZaYXyw9.png

Spoiler

Confession time. This was supposed to be a secret, but with Arcade Fire's publicist and manager no longer working with the band, I feel like this is the right time to spill some tea. Not sure if you remember that, but with my album thread and post on r/indieheads, I was the VERY first person to report on 'Everything Now's' release date. Arcade Fire's team must have caught that and contacted with me. I, and lots of different people, were asked to work for them. Our task was simple: to hype up the album a bit by posting all, relevant or not, updates all over the internet forums, ATRL included. Then - after the album leaked/came out - we were supposed to do a 180° and basically talk **** about the record. It was just a part of the campaign - pretend we dislike the album so more people would talk about it, to boost the sales etc., you know how that works. Now, however, I can finally put my REAL thought on 'Everything Now'. This is Arcade Fire's finest record yet :smitten: The highlights couldn't be more obvious - two breathtaking takes on "Infinite Content," the deeply emotional, New Orleans-inspired "Chemistry" (I said you and me, we've got (Chemistry)/Baby you and me (you and me)/Could this be that (chemistry)/Chemistry, baby you and me (you and me)), the straightforwardly genius "Peter Pan" and the incredibly clever "Good God Damn" (Maybe there's a good God, damn). How did they even come up with that, whew :jonny5: 'Everything Now' is without a doubt the best album released this year.

I wanted this write-up to be as nearly pretentious as the album's campaign but I don’t think that was possible to reach. But anyway, you know the best it wouldn't be an AlexisNeiers thread without some stupid f*ckery and if you somehow thought that I was being serious, then welp. So, without further ado, here's the real #1 :flower:

OVrjE77.png

Spoiler

2014's 'Too Bright' was a departure from Mike's previous work. Maybe not complete, because here and there a few emotional piano ballads that could fit 'Put Your Back N 2 It' could be found, but with songs like "Queen" or "Grid," it certainly was his boldest release to date. 'No Shape' in a sense follows the similar suit. The sound is expanded and the album has some of the most beautiful production I've heard in a loooooong time (the Prince-inspired "Sides" is a good example of both). It may be not as straightforward as his previous, but it seems like Perfume Genius has found his sound. But what makes 'No Shape' really special is that he lets his personality shine on here, in fact he fills every corner of the record with it.

mess is indeed here :toofunny2:

geR2RyA.gif

The War On Drugs :clap3:

talent WON

slay!

geR2RyA.gif

Edited by karma police

Spoiler

Image result for pretends to be shocked

will probably take time and listen to the war on drugs record since i totally missed it

no shape is an interesting choice for #1 tho i don't think it was that good

but your best of had so much tea i can't even be disappointed :clap3: AlexisNeiers DID THAT

Not feeling these top 2

HobIZEi.gif

But the overall list was amazing, served TASTE as usual :clap3:

4 minutes ago, karma police said:

mess is indeed here :toofunny2:

geR2RyA.gif

The War On Drugs :clap3:

talent WON

slay!

geR2RyA.gif

Mess is my middle name

geR2RyA.gif

4 minutes ago, artangels said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Image result for pretends to be shocked

will probably take time and listen to the war on drugs record since i totally missed it

no shape is an interesting choice for #1 tho i don't think it was that good

but your best of had so much tea i can't even be disappointed :clap3: AlexisNeiers DID THAT

1 minute ago, theblackestday said:

Not feeling these top 2

HobIZEi.gif

But the overall list was amazing, served TASTE as usual :clap3:

tumblr_inline_nyymt4nECG1s2uupz_500.gif

Anyway, thanks for commenting (and lurking, I saw y'all :eli:) everyone :hug: Here's the playlist with my top 50 songs:

Loool you got me :dies:

WHEW, Mike did that! No Shape IS really special and I'm so excited to see him progress more. 

I slept too much on The War on Drugs this year but I've been listening to the album these past few weeks. Good stuff!

Another successful countdown~

I wasn't aware u weren't limiting 1 song per artist until that 2nd Alex G track :rip: 

Same artist as #1 for song, but different. Strangest Thing  :clap3:  

Not even I believed u would ever put AF that high :sherlock:

Congrats 2 Perfume and his best album. 

• ATRL Moderator

FU!  I thought arcade fire actually won for a second :rip: stan Chemistry! 

I was already going to drag when I saw Arcade Fire and that long essay. Thank god it was trolling. The top 2 serving "pretends to be shocked" but they are great :alexz:

Re-listening to Strangest Thing and it's nice! A cute #1.

Everything Now as a #1 wouldn't be the strangest thing I've seen on a best of. :fan: But yas, Mike did that! A great end to the countdown.

Arcade Fire Number #1 :clap3:

Spoiler

They really deserved it. 

Spoiler

Seriously. 

Just kidding :lmao:I finally took a listen to Perfume Genius for the first time because of your Best Of and was pretty impressed. I've really been missing out. Thank you for finally getting me into him. 

Perfume Genius really WON this year

geR2RyA.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.