• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admiral Bobbery

• Lazuli

• TheWayWeWere

• Legend E

13 Beaches and New Year's Day are both pretty good.

A lot of people don't like the Taylor song but I think it's nice. Sure, it's hardly powerful song, but it's powerfully sweet and innocent. Very un-Taylor these days trying to be so badass and perfectly crafted.

30-21!

30: Body Memory - Bjork

I really love how lush and beautiful the production is. It kind of drags on for a bit though.

29: Intoxicate - ZHU

This is a really nice, dark electronic song.

28: Higher Livin - Anastacia

This is such a fun disco inspired bop. The production and melody just shimmers. Love the gospel inspired background vocals, too. It makes for an excellent closing track.

27: Ti Amo – Umberto Tozzi and Anastacia

This is a redux of an Italian classic. This time he duets with Anastacia and it works out amazing. The melody is simple and sweet and this really allows both of them to show off just how beautiful their voices are.

26: Dear Hate – Maren Morris and Vince Gill

A really powerful song that’s beautifully written. Says a lot about her if she just had this song in the wings waiting for a moment to release it. Also, Vince Gill is a nice edition.

25: Coconut Tree - Shakira

A bit of an odd choice but this is just a really sweet song. So simple and breezy. I love her voice on this track and the production really helps sell the song to me. Probably one of the most genuine moments on El Dorado, too.

24: Save Myself – Ed Sheeran

Divide wasn’t really a good album, but it had its moments. This was one of them. Ed occasionally puts out songs that I really resonate with and this is the big one from him this year. I feel like more than some of his other material this year, he was being earnest here. It’s very beautifully written and is a reminder of why he’s popular in the first place.

23: The Sound of Walking Away – Illenium and Kerli

Kerli’s electronic collaborations are usually great songs and this one might be best one she’s done. The emotion in her voice really uplifts this track. The verses are also amazing. The drop in the chorus is a bit cheesy though.

22: Keep Up – Rachel Platten

If someone had told me Rachel Platten would come out with one of the more interesting pop songs this year I’d have laughed. However, she did. The chorus has got to be one of the more unique in pop this year from a structural standpoint, on top of being insanely catchy. Her staccato notes really emphasize the punch this song packs.

21: London – Matty Noyes

This is one of the most interesting pop songs of the year and was the first pop song I was obsessed with this year. It’s very much a disco throwback. The chorus is insanely catchy. This deserved to smash.

That's it for today. Tomorrows update will more than likely be coming out at the same time! Thank you all for following and commenting.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:19 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Poor Me is such a bop :jamming:

Disco 9ATfwbd.gif

Free Me was actually one of the best Sia' song she released in many years

TMYLM and Love is Pain :alexz: whew vocal queens

Finders Keepers is such a bop :katie2:

Drew Barrymore :jonny: still slays me :jonny:

It really is. I hope she does more of this kind of music on her next album.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Two Ghosts,TMTYLM & Disco T***  :beatfreak:

Thanks! :heart2:

14 hours ago, Remmy said:

Location :smiley: Love Is Pain, Diving :heart2: New Year's Day + Drew Barrymore :smitten: Two Ghosts :date:

Thanks! :alexz:

10 hours ago, Lazuli said:

New Year's Day :cries: 

Drew Barrymore :clap3: 

Thanks! :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Staryu said:

The taste! Drew Barrymore, Disco ****, Passionfruit :clap3: 

Aw, thank you! :alexz3:

4 hours ago, Reinvention said:

13 Beaches and New Year's Day are both pretty good.

A lot of people don't like the Taylor song but I think it's nice. Sure, it's hardly powerful song, but it's powerfully sweet and innocent. Very un-Taylor these days trying to be so badass and perfectly crafted.

That sweetness is why I really love the song. It makes a great contrast to the rest of Reputation. I think it was a great idea to end the album on a more stripped back, vulnerable note.

Yeah Divide was alright, pretty much just typical Ed. Save Myself is a track I remember + like, it's cute :heart2:

Coconut Tree :party: nice jam :katie2:

Higher Livin :clap3: I think album overall was kinda meh and dated, but this song was among my favorites :katie2:

• ATRL Moderator

sfdrdfb; why did i stop commenting here when you're one of the few people with taste here

Drew Barrymore :heart2:

Would love to listen to your entire top someday :heart2: 

20-11!

20 Redbone – Childish Gambino

An insanely catchy and groovy R&B jam. Was on repeat a lot this year.

19 How Long – Charlie Puth

In a year of musical surprises, Charlie was one of the bigger ones. I never imagined that I would really love a song of his. I liked We Don’t Talk Anymore to be sure, but didn’t adore it. I do adore this song. The groove is tight and just won’t leave your head. I don’t mind the use of his falsetto here, in fact I like it. That’s an even bigger shocker as his falsetto is usually grating to me. If his next album is on par with this he might have one of the biggest musical improvements of the entire decade. 

18 A Bulls Tale - Jidenna

One of Jidena’s best songs. While his album was a bit of a disappointment, this song is most certainly not. This is probably the most fire he has ever spit in a track. The musical composition is multi-layered and ever changing with it’s elements. This song really shows the potential he has.

17 Dangerous – The xx

A The xx song with a pulse. I love the horns on this track (if it’s not obvious by now I have a bit of a weakness for horns). The melody is engaging and once again, is one of the most lively songs from this band.

16 Sit Next To Me – Foster the People

Easily their best song since their debut album. The psychedelic vibes on this song mesh so well with the melody. I love the synth riffs at the end of the chorus. Everything about this song is such a cute little love song.

15 Either Way – Chris Stapleton

One of my favorite country songs this year, though it’s technically kind of a cover. Chris is the original writer, but this was originally released by Lee Ann Womack in 2008. Either way, this is an amazing song and Chris honestly elevates it. His vocals are just a pure explosion of emotion and the story being told here is just heartbreaking. Resigning oneself to a dying relationship is always so bittersweet.

14 Selfish Love – Jessie Ware

I love the Spanish vibe this song has. The guitar strumming on this song is stunning. It’s just such a sexy jam and Jessie’s falsetto on this song is just divine. Truly a discography highlight.

13 Lost In Your Light – Dua Lipa ft. Miguel

Probably in the minority when I say this is my favorite Dua song to date. I love the production on this song, it’s just so lush and has a bit of a mystical vibe to it. Miguel and Dua’s voices go well together, though I admit they could play off of each other a bit better (especially in the video). The prechorus to this song is just amazing. It also really shows off Dua’s vocals.

12 Til’ I’m Done – Paloma Faith

This is such a big disco bop given to us by Paloma. The background vocals to this song are just so catchy and give this song such interesting layers. The bridge is just awesome and the chorus has got to be one of the strongest Paloma’s ever written. The bridge makes such an awesome climax, too.

11 Praying - Kesha

Kesha’s vocal performance elevates this song. The absolute emotion she sings with is amazing. The story of forgiveness she’s weaving is also a very interesting one, especially given her life situation. The gospel inspired instrumentation also gives a heavy and chilling feel to this song that ultimately ends on a triumphant note. Though I do wonder if this song would stand out as much without the backstory behind it.

That's it for today, updated a bit early because I forgot I had to do something this morning around the time I had originally planned to do this. Anyway, the top 10 will be revealed on Tuesday the 26th. I'm taking a break from this tomorrow. Thank you all for following my list and hope you all have a great day!

10 hours ago, Remmy said:

Yeah Divide was alright, pretty much just typical Ed. Save Myself is a track I remember + like, it's cute :heart2:

Yeah it is typical Ed but somehow feels a bit tired/uninspired for some reason.

9 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Coconut Tree :party: nice jam :katie2:

Higher Livin :clap3: I think album overall was kinda meh and dated, but this song was among my favorites :katie2:

Her album was a bit on the dated side. And yay for someone liking Coconut Tree.

6 hours ago, Lazuli said:

Body Memory is best one here :alexz3: 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Legend E said:

sfdrdfb; why did i stop commenting here when you're one of the few people with taste here

Drew Barrymore :heart2:

Would love to listen to your entire top someday :heart2: 

You should comment more then :angry:

Also, kinda funny you posted in here right as I was uploading today's update. :toofunny2:

Selfish Love, Lost In Your Light :clap3: 

Dangerous :jonny: Such a great opener

PRAYING :jonny5: Wish it made the top 10 tho

• ATRL Moderator

Well then I will comment again :eli: 

Jessie, Dua and Kesha all slaying with the right songs (well tbh all 3 of Jessie's singles slay) :clap3: 

I discovered Redbone thanks to Get Out :smitten:

Selfish Love is masterpiece :jonny: spanish influence on this is everything!

Lost In Your Light :smiley: It's my least fave from the album though :keir: How Long is Charlie's best from this year :jamming:

Sit Next to Me :smitten: Praying :alexz::alexz::alexz: But welp at her charting at the unfortunate #11 spot :emofish:

Body Memory is a biT long but still a slay :flame: Keep Up is surprisingly good :jonny:

Praying just outside the top 10 :jonny: Lost In Your Light :celestial4:

Not going to do Today's update. I've been sick since Sunday night and am not feeling that up to it tonight. I should feel better enough to do this tomorrow though.

10-1!

10 Strangers Halsey and Lauren Jauregui

Considering all the comments about Praying being number 11, I’m probably going to be dragged a bit for this. Never thought I’d actually love a Halsey song. She had one or two songs that I liked but have never been infatuated like this. Her and Lauren’s voices are perfect compliments for each other and the chorus has one of the most memorable hooks this year for me. The lyrics are also pretty well written from a storytelling perspective.

9. If We Were Vampires – Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

From a storytelling standpoint, one of the best songs of the year. It weaves an interesting story about appreciating the time you have because it’s limited while reminding the audience that the limit on the time is what makes it special. It’s an interesting antithesis to the “I Want Eternity with You” type of love song. I love the acoustic sound this has and the simple, but effective, melody. 

8. Bedroom - Mabel

This song has my favorite bridge of the year. So much drama, emotion, and vocals, combined with amazing production. This is easily Mable’s top song so far. This is an amazing R&B and electro fusion about a dysfunctional relationship.

7. Strobelite - Gorillaz and Peven Everett

This is such a funky, disco inspired bop. :jamming: One of their best songs and the highlight of their latest album. The lyrics are a bit cheese in places though but that groove is just irresistible enough for me to ignore it.

6. Downtown – Allie X

I love the melody in the chorus here. The drop gives it a dark yet sexy vibe and that’s accentuated by Allie X’s cooing vocals. One of the catchiest songs she has ever done, too. I love her falsetto on this song, it’s just enchanting.

5. A Scarecrow In The Garden – Chris Stapleton

From a storytelling standpoint, this might be my favorite country song of the year. The imagery he paints with on this song is both vivid and haunting. It weaves a great tale of hardship and breaking down. The wham like at the end of this song is just amazing. The simple melody really helps the words stand out and complements them. As always, Chris’ voice is just magic, especially here.

4. Told You So – Paramore

Everything about this song just shimmers, the melody, the instrumentation, and the lyrics. My only real complaint is that the bridge drags out a bit too long considering the repetitive nature of the lyrics. I love the 80’s vibe here combined with a bit of punk punch.

3. Sober - Lorde

This song is kind of an improved version of Magnets, which was already amazing to begin with. This song is a perfect blend of the more dance and poppy Melodrama sound and the Pure Heroine sound. I honestly think this should have been the lead single. It’s very euphoric, especially with those horn blasts. Lyrically, it’s a pretty strong track for being more of a party and fun song. It the melody is also very strong. Overall, one of her best songs.

2. DNA – Kendrick Lamar

One of my favorite Kendrick songs. This song is just fire from the opening bars. He does not hold back at all in this song. His flow is great, the production amazing, and the lyrical content engaging. He does this while managing to make one of the catchiest rap choruses of the year.

1. Meaning of Life – Kelly Clarkson

Predictable but eh. This is one of my favorite Kelly songs ever. I love the way the melody just builds and builds. I love the instrumentation from the triumphant trumpet blasts in the 2nd prechorus to the bari sax on the verses. The lyrics are a little bit generic but solid. The then I love the most is how Kelly’s voice just soars on this song. It’s a beast of a song from beginning to end both from a technical and emotional perspective. Kelly’s never really had such an unabashedly happy song before, at least not without going into sappy territory. This song just epitomizes just what makes her so special to me and is one of the crown jewels of her discography.

That's it for this year's song list. Tomorrow I should be starting the albums list. Thank you all for commenting so far.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:36 AM, Lazuli said:

Selfish Love, Lost In Your Light :clap3: 

Dangerous :jonny: Such a great opener

PRAYING :jonny5: Wish it made the top 10 tho

Thanks. I'm kinda starting to think I should have switched my #11 and #10 around but, too late.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:37 AM, Legend E said:

Well then I will comment again :eli: 

Jessie, Dua and Kesha all slaying with the right songs (well tbh all 3 of Jessie's singles slay) :clap3: 

Thanks!

On 12/24/2017 at 10:07 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

I discovered Redbone thanks to Get Out :smitten:

Selfish Love is masterpiece :jonny: spanish influence on this is everything!

It really is. She pulls it off spectacular.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:03 AM, Remmy said:

Lost In Your Light :smiley: It's my least fave from the album though :keir: How Long is Charlie's best from this year :jamming:

Sit Next to Me :smitten: Praying :alexz::alexz::alexz: But welp at her charting at the unfortunate #11 spot :emofish:

Thanks!

On 12/24/2017 at 4:56 PM, K$Ellie said:

Body Memory is a biT long but still a slay :flame: Keep Up is surprisingly good :jonny:

Praying just outside the top 10 :jonny: Lost In Your Light :celestial4:

I was a bit surprised at Rachel coming through with that song, tbh. Didn't really use much from Wildfire.

Strangers if great in spite of Halsey, but yes Praying should've been higher than it :eli: 

Told You So, Sober and DNA :katie2:

Meaning Of Life #1 :eek:  It's not one of my favourites from the album but still a good song :clap3: 

Stranger is such a pop pefection :jonny: smash that got away

Bedroom is a :flame:

Told You So is nice jam :jamming:

Sober is so good :jonny: I like part 2 as well

Meaning of Life is one of my favorite tracks from album :jonny:

Today We'll Start The Albums List

30-26

30 The Red Summer – Red Velvet

Favorite Lyric: I hear the sea, I feel you, the scent and the touch of that day and my feelings too, all of it.

Top Tracks: Zoo and Hear The Sea

This is a cute little Ep. I’m warming up a bit to K-pop in recent years. Red Velvet is one act I’ve kind of gravitated too. This ep is full of interesting hooks and musical ideas. The production is a bit on the dated side though and sometimes the music is a bit too sugary (see the opening track) for my taste. I really love how the final track of the album is a stripped back, breezy number that focuses more on the vocals. It’s a very dreamy way to end what’s basically a musical sugar rush.

29 No Plan - David Bowie

Favorite Lyric: I lay in bed the monster fed, the body bled, I turned and said “I get some of you all the time, all of you some other time

Top Track: Killing A Little Time

I wasn’t really expecting new David music this year, considering he passed last year and all. However, early this year his estate surprised us by releasing this Ep. It’s basically an EP of songs that were cut from the final version of Blackstar. I can sort of see why as these songs just aren’t quite as strong as the ones that made the final cut, but these are still some very solid songs. Except Killing A Little Time, that song was very much album worthy. All the new material has that darkness and creepy, on-edge vibe that is present on Blackstar. If you were a fan of that album, give this one a try too.

28 Tell Me You Love Me - Demi Lovato

Favorite Lyric: It’s like you’re getting off on messing with my sanity. Hang up, come on over. Let’s play out this fantasy

Top Tracks: Tell Me You Love Me, Sexy Dirty Love, and Concentrate

Demi’s always given me a handful of songs per album that I like, but never a full album. That changed this year. This is easily her most solid album all the way through. Going in a more R&B focused direction, we see her giving some of her best vocal performances to date. The album is full of hooks and horns. Lyrically, it revolves around love with decent lyrics to go along with it. Some songs do have a more poppy production, such as Daddy Issues and Concentrate.

Edited by Admiral Bobbery

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.