All done! | Kang's oozy best of '17

SLIME

http://diymag.com/media/img/Artists/A/Alvvays/_900x900_crop_center-center_75/Antisocialites-Packshot-1.jpg

satisfied with making do
should we pull the parachute?
i will land on my feet but i probably won’t leave the house for a while and it feels like forever since you held me like i was a human being
and i am a human being

46. Alvvays - Antisocialites

I can't really tell if this band's audience consists more of people who've already gone through their first shoegazy jangle pop phase or those just getting into it for the first time? Because let's be real they don't seem super intent on doing anything new, but I'm not hating cuz I love the jangle sound and I love when they slow it down to something dreamier too. Actually the whole album is hella dreamy, one of the best I heard all year for just getting lost in, but still paced a little better than their debut so that I rarely found myself getting lost unintentionally. Bb am not alvvways there when u call but am alvvways on time uh uh uhhh

top peeps: Plimsoil Punks, Lollipop (Ode to Jim)

Spoiler

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• World Eater

• Tom Vercetti

I don't think I've ever got through more than half of FJM's album and I loved Honeybear a lot too :rip: 

Antisocialites was nice and I think this Paramore is a lot more bearable than what they used to be.

Finally someone who likes Sheer Mag :jonny: I think I prefer the compilation of their EPs over the album, but NTFYL is still great. They played one of my fav gigs of the year, too, but I may be a bit biased because it was shortly after they released the alberm and Tina kept the eye contact with me for literally over half of the show and I loved every second of that :rip:

Ngl, Pure Comedy made me a FJM hater but it had some solid stuff, like Two Wildly Different Perspectives or the title track. Also, The Haxan Cloak's remix of Things It Would Have Been Helpful to Know Before the Revolution is pretty great

Been through my shoegazy jangle pop phase and I still love Alvvays!

They just do it good + better than all their contemporaries who aren't as original either imo

Father John Misty sucks imo, but at least you fixed it by putting Alvvays and Paramore :date:

Yes this is a slog to get through in one sitting

Absolutely, and there's no real highlights for me to justify returning to it much, I LOVED ILYH too, so I was really disappointed. :emofish:

Alvvays delivered though, I thought it was a real step-up from their debut. They know exactly what they're doing.

After Laughter :clap3: probably my favorite album by them, along with self-titled , I was very afraid about genre-change at first, but I think they did it very well in the end :clap3:

I didn't listen to Paramore's album yet it was on my to do list. Given the fact that it ranks so low in your chart, I may have done good not giving it a listen! :P 

• ATRL Moderator

Penk and Frank's promo flopped!!!

Spoiler
On 12/13/2017 at 4:24 PM, bluth said:

pure comedy was okay... but like u said an absolute chore and it feels like he cares more about flaunting his intelligence than he does social issues. 

22 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Absolutely, and there's no real highlights for me to justify returning to it much, I LOVED ILYH too, so I was really disappointed. :emofish:

I mean yall ain't wrong but that's why he's #49 :emofish: I do hope that was all he needed to get out of his system and he goes back into banger mode sooner rather than later, not sure I could take another one like this.

23 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

Finally someone who likes Sheer Mag :jonny: I think I prefer the compilation of their EPs over the album, but NTFYL is still great. They played one of my fav gigs of the year, too, but I may be a bit biased because it was shortly after they released the alberm and Tina kept the eye contact with me for literally over half of the show and I loved every second of that :rip:

I think u were one of the first I heard about them from!! that sounds like a pretty life changing experience I'm jealous, and ima peep that remix bc now I've seen a couple single that out as their pick for him

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

I didn't listen to Paramore's album yet it was on my to do list. Given the fact that it ranks so low in your chart, I may have done good not giving it a listen! :P 

#50 still means I liked it tho! I would give it a shot if you liked the singles or their past stuff at least, never know till u try~~

5 hours ago, prézli said:

Alvvays is such a good name. :rip: NOT IN AN IRONIC WAY. I like it. Really.

I qvvite like it too :emofish:

Trying to get on the 10 a day system as soon as my schedule lets me, within a few days 5 sure but for now next set on the way!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Thehorrorsv.jpg

bright lights overhead
always all times
the white noise never ends
oh now, all times

45. The Horrors - V

First time I listened to this I was picking up a lot of fuzz and not much else, but after that it didn't take long at all for the muscle propping the songs up to start revealing itself. There's a good bit of diversity in term of instruments etc so it's really not samey at all. I know they started off doing more of a post-punk thing, but the psychadelix shoegazey vibe works great for them IMO; from what of theirs I know (not much so far tbh) their evolution has been impressive and unexpected! That opener giving very strong Army of Me vibes by the way and the low key Art Angels homage on the cover. I can't!

top peeps: Hologram, Something to Remember Me By

Spoiler

Alvvays's 2nd album lowkey blew them up huh. But yeah, a cute album.

I'd said V is Horror's 2nd best album, right after Primary Colours. 

http://www.treblezine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/6-23-algiers.jpg

i've been shot just because my heart
i've lost the times i've been bought and sold
i've been the victim of golden eyes
i've seen the dead walk among the living
in division, what's stripped away is made the same on the other side

44. Algiers - The Underside of Power

I basically had to listen to this out of curiosity about the "gospel rock" sound and it didn't disappoint. It turned out to be 1) something that works organically being more than a gimmick, and 2) a pretty perfect fit for the Trump etc.-fueled rage that makes up a lot of the subject matter. I wouldn't describe it as primarily ~political music per se but the sense of very justified anger that runs all through made it a very relevant statement on the overall ****ed up state of the world and the hopelessness that can obviously accompany that.

top peeps: The Underside of Power, Walk Like a Panther

Spoiler

Passing through.! 

68qzwp.gif

Edited by NewRihannaStan

1 minute ago, NewRihannaStan said:

Passing through.! 

68qzwp.gif

uhhh good I was waiting for you!!!!

2 minutes ago, Kang. said:

uhhh good I was waiting for you!!!!

Lemme see if I like anything 

Walk like a panthers screams give me chills.

I'm loving this the horros album and me likey (available on itunes)

Ti Amo deserved a place on the list..! 

http://images.genius.com/c9e4f249972603ddccd772ccec7122d3.1000x1000x1.jpg

it’s the evoking trust holding this frame of rust, i had to let go
to let this place combust you must refrain from lust
dismantle the throne

43. King Krule - The OOZ

No lie this is a tough-ish one to get through as well, but couple things p4k's new favorite white boy does differently than say FJM: FIRST, include singles that bang hard enough to balance out the album tracks + SECOND, make sure all that album time goes into building a world that's worth getting lost in. 'Ooz' is right because this is some straight slimy, dingy, low life, hella British drunken pub'd out tomfoolery, and he plays this pitiful character up to the max for over an hour without ever sacrificing too much momentum. His imagery is really evocative and captures the feel of a sad night out perfectly, something most of us can relate to even if the details don't all match up. Definitely not something I can just throw on whenever, but personally worth the investment for sure.

top peeps: Half Man Half Shark, Czech One

Spoiler

the horror's album was a nice discovery 4 me. it had some pop accessible moments imo too e..g in the world below which was a nice surprise

i only heard of king krule from appearing on mount kimbie's stuff and i cba'd to listen through the whole album so eye shall just give ur highlights a go

68qzwp.gif

Hologram is a bop, but Army of Me, sweetie...

Art Angels homage on the cover

I was thinking of it (and the singles covers) as more of a rip off from Jesse Kanda's work but you make a good point

The Underside of Power is really good, especially the more industrial cuts

King Krule's album is okay I guess. I agree with the highlight choices

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.