so i guess i'll go home
into the arms of the girl that i love
the only love i haven't screwed up
she's so hard to please, but she's a forest fire
i do my best to meet her demands, play at romance,

we slow dance in the living room, but all that a stranger would see
is one girl swaying alone, stroking her cheek

3. Lorde - Melodrama

Whoever said Fiona Apple is right. Not that there aren't major differences between them, but it's that gift for setting the scene in such a distinctive, individual way that it wraps around to everyone in the room taking it personally. That's rare! I like Lorde's claim that this wasn't a breakup album, instead a record more about the different sides of being alone. That's good for the listener because it provides that many more chances to get inside her mind, where I think most of us can find something that we recognize. I don't wanna prop her up as the ~voice of our generation~ or some **** when that's not what she signed up for, but I do still feel lucky hearing someone so close to my age narrate experiences that we probably went through around the same time, and come out on the other end with something so mature and polished. It almost feels like a validation of being young -- that even with all the bull**** that comes with the territory, maybe we're still where we're supposed to be after all.

Anyway, there are so many colors and moods on this album that a create a cinematic vibe way beyond anything on PH, and amplify the emotional range already on display. From the more traditional slices of radio excellence to the less structured cuts, she covers a lot of ground, but there's both a writer's voice and a singer's voice that hold it all together (shouts to Beats by Jack too). The result is something that works as a great pop album but also a highly detailed document of individual growth. Good year for those.

top peeps: Perfect Places, The Louvre, Green Light

Spoiler

and this is why I say that hip hop has done more damage to young African Americans than racism in recent years........

661e1a935e2eacdd45c05ef618565535e7bed2ad

we all woke up, tryna tune to the daily news
lookin' for confirmation, hopin' election wasn't true
all of us worried, all of us buried, and the feeling's deep
none of us married to his proposal, make us feel cheap
still and sad, distraught and mad, tell the neighbor 'bout it
bet they agree, parade the streets with your voice proudly
time passin', things change
revertin' back to our daily programs
stuck in our ways, lust

2. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

I think the danger here is overthinking what this mean's as a step in Kendrick's Artistic Journey and forgetting about the music itself, but let's do that for a second. From where I'm standing this a much more effective (if less detailed) reflection on Kendrick's evolving place in the world than TPAB, but also notable after a few too much Drake, it was proof again that the best rapper in the world could also be the biggest, even in 2017. Kenny's never much been about music before meaning, but here we have him updating his sound for the modern world without losing any lyrical complexity or leaving behind his influences. We have him going off on his government, his competition, his unborn son, himself and others without sacrificing the empathy or the analytical nuance that he's made his name off. As he tries to unravel the mysteries of what drives Kendrick to be Kendrick, I think there's a sense of understanding that starts to develop toward the back end of the album, showing itself more and more during future listens. There's an inevitability not just to the ways our minds work, but to the world in general, and sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at the story of how your label boss could've ****ed up your dad and ended your life journey before it started, but he didn't and hey that's kinda funny. There's moments on DAMN. where I feel like the tortured artist angle is run out, and having thought hard about that lack of control, dude just wants to kick back and chill.

Maybe that's not the right interpretation and maybe I don't have anything to say about this album that hasn't been said. It probably wouldn't be #1 even if my real #1 didn't exist, but it's a rewarding, replayable listen and I'm glad it exists for everything it may or not represent.

top peeps: Lust, Duckworth, DNA

Spoiler

And sorry to leave it on that note, but time for me to go get some food :eatpopcorn: I'll be back!

after all this time liability still didn’t grow on me 

Edited by thirdward

Melodrama and Big Fish Theory :clap3:  Both would be in my top 3 (I only really have 3).

Edit: I see Take Me Apart too, that's the top 3!  Glad they were all really high on the list.

I get the love for DAMN. of course, but I found I returned to it even less than his previous works for some reason.

comments are always top notch, excited for the #1,can't think of what it might be right now

the moment u've all been waiting for.............................

stv-masseduction-packshot.jpg_1536x1536.jpg

and sometimes i go to the edge of my roof

and i think i'll jump just to punish you

and if i should float on the taxis below

no one will notice, no one will know

and then i think,

what could be better than love, than love, than love?

1. St. Vincent - Masseduction

So not everyone feels the same way that I do here and that's fine, but for the record: this is no pop sellout move. It's the clearest realization of the St. Vincent vision yet, and I love it. Let me tell the story.

"New York" is released and I kinda feel done with St. Vincent. Actor into Strange Mercy felt like the start of a Great Album Run, but something about self-titled felt a little off to me: I was into it, but I wasn't on board with all of the praise, and I needed her to take her game to the next level if she wanted to keep that momentum moving in the same direction. New York was not that for me. Again, ok for what it was, but by the end of my first play I already felt Antonoff'd out, so if this was the direction she was going in for the album, maybe it just wasn't a hype train I needed to be on board.

That was before the album dropped, and I pulled a reverse-Kendrick and put the meaning next to the music. There was an abstraction to all the previous St. Vincent albums -- one where you didn't really know what lens she was talking through, but you knew there was one, and that her words probably weren't for taking at face value. That's all gone. These songs tell a story, and it's a pretty sad one. From the impending airplane crash in the opener to the impending death fall in the closer, Mass is a morbid album. Like Melodrama, it's kind of about a breakup, but with less focus on the event in question and more about how the aftermath can end up shaping you as a person. Add Annie's geographical move on top, and there are a lot of moving pieces in the mix. Almost like Game of Thrones or some ****. And even though that fourth wall has been broken down in a sense and this feels closer to the real Annie than anything we've heard before, the trademark St. Vincent cleverness and creepiness are still going strong. Even New York started to make a lotttt more sense with the right context.

I've barely even mentioned the actual music, but it's a whole lot of what she's already done well, with a little bit of mood-appropriate polish. The pop gloss on the opening sequence is the perfect fit for taking on our sensory overloaded, consumerism'd Hollywood culture, but it's the farthest thing from the depressing Prince Johnny sequel and the slinky Prince homage that come right after. She's never really gone BIG like Fear the Future or Young Lover, but then she's never really shrunk down so far as Slow Disco either. It's all over the place but in the best possible way, and the messier it gets, the more convincing a character portrait it becomes.

Between school starting and the previous 49, I'm a little worded out and kinda worried I haven't been able to articulate exactly why I love this album so much. There just needs to be a word that describes the feeling when you know you're listening to something GREAT and no one can tell you otherwise. I get that with pretty much every song here, and it's even stronger playing them in sequence. So if you haven't heard it, maybe give it a try; if you a hater, maybe give it another one for me. :emofish: This is where she joins the greats, so it's as good a time to hop on as any.

top peeps: Sugarboy, Savior, Slow Disco, Los Ageless, Pills

Spoiler

That was...Unexpected. Lol!

I don't think Masseduction is a pop sellout either, let me read the rest now...

Excellent top 3! Loved following your lists. There was lots of good material and got into a few new albums too! Also loved your write ups too :alexz3: They were very accurate and descriptive.

Putting MASSEDUCTION at #1 is an interesting concept

vuhexrt.gif

Loved each album from the top 5 though and really enjoyed reading your write ups :clap3:

Hmmm.... was not expecting that for sure but i'm glad someone stanned masseduction as hard. Seems Jack won here. As with other Kang countdown though, I enjoyed it. I'm gonna assume the songs part will be left out (or all at once released :sherlock:

Surprised at Lorde being so high. Great countdown as always. DAMN was good. 

Love your top 3.... INTERESTING #1 choice! but i enjoyed it nontheless 

sorry for the tag again, just gonna be putting up my songs all at once and wanted to get it out there before the section closed. unfortunately didn't have the time I thought I would to say everything I wanted about all of them, but I do appreciate all the support, this was a lot of fun while I kept up the pace :flower:I'll put a playlist at the end too.

Glad St. Vincent snatched someone#s #1, an excellent, critically acclaimed album.. not everyone has that!

100. Nick Hakim - Miss Chew

Spoiler

99. Rae Sremmurd - Perplexing Pegasus

Spoiler

98. Demi Lovato - You Don't Do It for Me Anymore

Spoiler

97. Torres - Helen in the Woods

Spoiler

96. Toro y Moi - Girl Like You

Spoiler

95. Cashmere Cat f/ SOPHIE & Mø - 9 (After Coachella)

Spoiler

94. Princes Nokia - Kitana

Spoiler

93. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights

Spoiler

92. Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?

Spoiler

91. Susanne Sundfør - Undercover

Spoiler

90. Big Boi f/ Killer Mike & Jeezy - Kill Jill (you know I had to do it to em)

Spoiler

89. Rina Sawayama - Alterlife

Spoiler

88. Jamiroquai - Automaton

Spoiler

87. Aminé - Spice Girl

Spoiler

86. Halsey - Walls Could Talk

Spoiler

85. G Perico - Right Now

Spoiler

84. J Balvin f/ Willy William - Mi Gente (this song is on every latin guy's **** playlist :mandown:)

Spoiler

83. Luis Fonsi f/ Daddy Yankee - Despacito

Spoiler

82. Waxahatchee - 8 Ball

Spoiler

81. Lil Pump - Gucci Gang

Spoiler

80. Grizzly Bear - Three Rings

Spoiler

79. The xx - Dangerous

Spoiler

78. SOPHIE - Ponyboy

Spoiler

77. Fergie f/ Nicki Minaj - You Already Know

Spoiler

76. Becky G f/ Bad Bunny - Mayores

Spoiler

75. Gorillaz f/ DRAM - Andromeda

Spoiler

74. BC Unidos f/ Carly Rae Jepsen - Trouble in the Streets

Spoiler

73. Perfume Genius - Otherside

Spoiler

72. Mura Masa f/ Charli XCX - 1 Night

Spoiler

71. Björk - Arisen My Senses

Spoiler

70. Ibeyi f/ Kamasi Washington - Deathless

Spoiler

69. Fleet Foxes - I Am All That I Need...

Spoiler

68. Julia Michaels - Uh Huh

Spoiler

67. Arcade Fire - Everything Now

Spoiler

66. Zola Jesus - Siphon

Spoiler

65. Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder

Spoiler

64. Camila Cabello f/ Young Thug - Havana

Spoiler

63. Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love

Spoiler

62. Dua Lipa - New Rules (this just grew on me, love her voice tbh and the power of a good video)

Spoiler

61. SZA - Drew Barrymore

Spoiler

60. Phoenix - J-Boy

Spoiler

59. Young Thug - Do U Love Me

Spoiler

58. Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm

Spoiler

57. The Horrors - Something to Remember Me By

Spoiler

56. Tove Lo - Disco Tits (she brought back electroclash and people didn't notice cuz they were bored with her vagina shtick :/ )

Spoiler

55. ABRA - Bounty

Spoiler

54. Yo Gotti f/ Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up (great song, tremendous song. wish it was longer than 52 seconds)

Spoiler

53. Hundred Waters - Particle

Spoiler

52. LCD Soundsystem - How do you sleep?

Spoiler

51. DJ Khaled f/ Rihanna & just pretend it's Jeremih - Wild Thoughts

Spoiler

50. Yasutaka Nakata f/ Charli XCX & Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Crazy Crazy (woah)

Spoiler

49. Jay Som - The Bus Song

Spoiler

48. Moses Sumney - Quarrel

Spoiler

47. Blanck Mass - Rhesus Negative

Spoiler

46. Migos f/ Nicki Minaj & Cardi B - MotorSport (ok Stir Fry is their best song ever but we're gonna call that a 2018 release. Cardi killed this)

Spoiler

45. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite

Spoiler

44. Drake - Passionfruit ("leaving / you're just doing that to get even" feels like a new low for him & I almost wanted to put the yaeji version. but no this was a nice moment)

Spoiler

43. London on da Track f/ Nicki Minaj, Offset, 21 Savage - No Flag

Spoiler

42. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Deadly Valentine

Spoiler

41. Jorja Smith & Preditah - On My Mind

Spoiler

40. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow

Spoiler

39. BROCKHAMPTON - Boogie (the song they needed to make from the jump. a hook that doesn't sound like a nursery rhyme :heart2: )

Spoiler

38. Spoon - Hot Thoughts

Spoiler

37. Scarface - Black Still

Spoiler

36. Danny L Harle - 1UL

Spoiler

35. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (there's kind of a blandness to most of what he does, but don't let that hold you back from the best pop chorus since Work :mandown:)

Spoiler

34. Lana del Rey f/ A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti - Summer Bummer (PEAK ADLIB)

Spoiler

33. Red Velvet - Rookie (always that one k-pop song that grabs me hard out the blue, and most of the time it's by them)

Spoiler

32. Kehlani - Undercover

Spoiler

31. Future - Mask Off (between this and #18, kinda hard to think about what the term "low key banger" meant before 2017. s/o Draco too)

Spoiler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.