Billboard Charts (November 12-18, 2017)

iHype.

Just now, fridayteenage said:

if fans happen to spend $0.00 on music, it just isn't worth as much.

Then why is industry revenue increasing? :confused:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bentley

• Pacaveli

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

it's now more like tv, where for the major networks audiences spend like nothing for shows, but advertisers and such fund them. 

it's now more like tv, where for the major networks audiences spend like nothing for shows, but advertisers and such fund them. 

You mean where paid subscription is used by a large amount of the public, similar to a monthly cable bill

i said major networks. i've never had cable in my lifetime yet i watched plenty of tv growing up. 

like youtube. 

5 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i said major networks. i've never had cable in my lifetime yet i watched plenty of tv growing up. 

like youtube. 

But your analogy wasn't accurate. Paid subscription drives the charts (80% of audio streams), and drives revenue. 

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

@simmnfierzig what is this supposed new formula?

Billboard has already announced that they will tweak the formula such that paid streams will matter more than free ones on the Hot 100.

This change could come alongside an increase in the influence of sales, but nobody knows yet if it will. The reason I kinda suspect that is because they have increased the influence of sales at the end of the last couple of years to correct for the sales decline. But who knows-- they may finally have realized sales are dying and elect not to increase their influence.

10 minutes ago, iHype. said:

But your analogy wasn't accurate. Paid subscription drives the charts (80% of audio streams), and drives revenue. 

where's that?

googled it and got "

Spotify announces 140 million users as paid subscribers approach 40 ...

https://venturebeat.com/.../spotify-announces-140-million-users-as-its-paying-subscrip...

Jun 15, 2017 - Spotify announced today that it now has 140 million users, up from 100 ... roughly 25percent of the company's overall user base was paying ..."

it would be nice if billboard would break down the chart points so we could see what % comes from people who paid something.

but yes, cable tv is roughly equivalent to the actual paid subscribers. but i wasn't talking about either of them...

Edited by fridayteenage

4 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

where's that?

googled it and got "

Spotify announces 140 million users as paid subscribers approach 40 ...

https://venturebeat.com/.../spotify-announces-140-million-users-as-its-paying-subscrip...

Jun 15, 2017 - Spotify announced today that it now has 140 million users, up from 100 ... roughly 25percent of the company's overall user base was paying ..."

but yes, cable tv is roughly equivalent to the actual paid subscribers. but i wasn't talking about either of them...

Regardless of how many people are subscribed and how many aren't, 80% of streams come from paid users. Paid users stream much more.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-20_at_12.44.29_AM.png

According to BuzzAngle's 2017 Mid Year Report , there was 180 billion audio streams and 141 billion came from subscription users. 

Subscription streams are also growing at a faster rate than ad-supported (69.3% mid-year for subscription, versus 28.4% mid-year for ad-supported) meaning the percentage of streams from paid subscribers will only rise. 

RIAA's Mid-Year Report has paid subscriptions counting for 43% of revenue; the highest percentage of any sector in music.

Just now, ChartsFan said:

Despite all those subscriptions, Spotify continues to lose millions a year.

its not a sustainable business model, despite how much revenue the industry is supposedly making.

Not really. It's in it's beginning years. Similar to how I'm sure you and others said a few years ago "Spotify would never help the industry", "Spotify would never make up for declining sales", and now that's proven wrong by about every single industry statistic. 

Music industry experts predict Spotify's valuation to go over $100 billion next decade, and for the music industry to possibly make the most money they have ever. Clearly, the predictions point to a sustainable future.

where does it say 80% of streams are paid though? 

subscription includes free subscription, yes?

Edited by fridayteenage

where does it say 80% of streams are paid though? 

In the graph where it says SUBSCRIPTION, and a number that adds up to 80% of total streams is included.

8 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Not really. It's in it's beginning years. Similar to how I'm sure you and others said a few years ago "Spotify would never help the industry", "Spotify would never make up for declining sales", and now that's proven wrong by about every single industry statistic. 

Music industry experts predict Spotify's valuation to go over $100 billion next decade, and for the music industry to possibly make the most money they have ever. Clearly, the predictions point to a sustainable future.

Not just music industry experts but major financial firms in general. A recent Goldman Sachs report projected massive prosperity for the music industry over the next 13 years.

Some of y’all in here trying to defend Sales :ahh: quite hilarious 

3 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

i have a lot of bought music.. And there is still at least once a week, a regret I wan to play a song and never bought it decades ago, and it's just not around anywhere.  Of I'm lucky maybe some scratchy YouTube taped vynil of it.

You could listen to it on Spotify

6 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Sure, but there'll be s lot changes before then, and it certainly dknt be like it is now, which isn't sustainable.

amazon is a perfect example.  When Amazon first launched it lost billions.  It want sustainable as just s book buying service,  they morphed, added products, and services. 

This is is what I never understood bout streaming,  people spend hundreds of dollars on subscriptions to listen to music, yet have nothing permanent to shoe for it.  In 10-20 years time  there's goons be an awful lot of "damn, I should have bought thst song decades ago, so I'd have a copy and listen to it."

so so muxh music isn't on these services. Music is on and  eventually dropped.

i have a lot of bought music.. And there is still at least once a week, a regret I wan to play a song and never bought it decades ago, and it's just not around anywhere.  Of I'm lucky maybe some scratchy YouTube taped vynil of it.

Who thinks like this? :skull:

We are in the digital era now...the song can be found everywhere...we mainly listen to music on our phones or computers and aux cords

We can listen to more songs now than anytime in history...me not owning it means absolutely nothing

1 hour ago, Sinister said:

Who thinks like this? :skull:

We are in the digital era now...the song can be found everywhere...we mainly listen to music on our phones or computers and aux cords

We can listen to more songs now than anytime in history...me not owning it means absolutely nothing

This... :skull: 

O.T.: Go, Jeffery.

Final Predictions, doesn't look like Havana has a chance at this point. 

1. Rockstar 442 (=)

2. Havana 392 (=)

3. Thunder 311 (+2)

4. Bodak Yellow 291 (-1)
5. Perfect (+3) 270

6. Too Good At Goodbyes (-1) 256

7. Gucci Gang 244 (+4)

8. 1-800-273-8255 242 (-2)

9. Feel It Still 232 (-2)

10. What Lovers Do 221 (-1)

Edited by Mattyboy

16 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

1. Rockstar 442 (=)

2. Havana 392 (=)

3. Thunder 311 (+2)

4. Bodak Yellow 291 (-1)
5. Perfect (+3) 270

7. Gucci Gang 244 (+4)

Does thunder in oncoming weeks?

200w.webp#14-grid1

19 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

1. Rockstar 442 (=)

2. Havana 392 (=)

3. Thunder 311 (+2)

4. Bodak Yellow 291 (-1)
5. Perfect (+3) 270

7. Gucci Gang 244 (+4)

This is for this week, or next week?

11 minutes ago, BGood2Me said:

This is for this week, or next week?

This week sorry, meant to post them last night. 

9 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

This week sorry, meant to post them last night. 

Thanks. I'm ready for your predictions for next week.

11 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Sure, but there'll be s lot changes before then, and it certainly dknt be like it is now, which isn't sustainable.

amazon is a perfect example.  When Amazon first launched it lost billions.  It want sustainable as just s book buying service,  they morphed, added products, and services. 

This is is what I never understood bout streaming,  people spend hundreds of dollars on subscriptions to listen to music, yet have nothing permanent to shoe for it.  In 10-20 years time  there's goons be an awful lot of "damn, I should have bought thst song decades ago, so I'd have a copy and listen to it."

so so muxh music isn't on these services. Music is on and  eventually dropped.

You definitely don't live in the same century as the rest of us do. :skull:

Edited by Cz!