Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• QueenofCopyPaste

• UNNAMI

• brainmaniac

48 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

For a week, spends 11 weeks on Hot 100 & only sold 500K  :deadbanana3:

Oh wow... oh wow... :rip:

In today's climate, what is an "official single"? I feel like any song that is released to iTunes and Spotify as a standalone is a single.

And yes, "Ready for It?" falls under that umbrella.

Now what you see as "official" is up to you.

Edited by Cap10Planet

Am I correct in saying that Nicki has never had a #1 on hot100 and Demi has never had a top 10 hit? Both of these things are kinda shocking to me if true. These are important landmarks for a major artist.

Let's be honest the only secure and reasonable definition we have of a "single" is whether it was officially sent for adds on radio.

Hence "promo singles" are songs released before the album but not to radio.

"Urban singles" are sent to urban radio but not top 40 etc.

Since as far as I'm aware RFI has not been sent, its still a promo single. :michael: 

42 minutes ago, Eternium said:

That's not how it works.

Single - sent to radio + available for purchase

Promo Single - Available for digital purchase before album release or made physically available. Not sent to radio

Radio Single - No longer a thing, but they were singles not available for sale

Ready For It has not been sent for radio adds. You can check All Access for it. It is a promo single, not a single.

That has more to do with the fact that Taylor's that big and there's anticipation. Every big artist from every format gets album tracks/promo singles played when they release.

It isn't going to be a single. Taylor won't be ready for a second single until late October and RFI will be dead by then.

So yeh basically I have just repeated this. I don't necessarily agree that it won't be a proper single though... Seeing as LWYMMD is looking to not have amazing longevity, they should embrace it since it looks to be taking over even without adds. Then, approaching the album, she can release a bunch of promo singles weekly (we know she likes this tactic) and whichever one gets the best response works as the third single.

20 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

No it doesn't work that way.

how it works is simple.  A song is what the label/artist calls it.

That is a ludicrous thing to say.

Edited by Fruity

Just now, Rentboy said:

Demi has never had a top 10 hit

Demi has had some.

2 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

Am I correct in saying that Nicki has never had a #1 on hot100 and Demi has never had a top 10 hit? Both of these things are kinda shocking to me if true. These are important landmarks for a major artist.

There are quite a few of major artist that has never had a no.1

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, umich said:

Girl you gon get a WP for that title :rip: 

! change it fat

How do we know that "Ready for It?" wasn't sent to radio?

If I remember correctly, "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele never had an official adds date posted on any reputable site, but it was a song that stuck and it became a #1 smash. No one would have ever denied that SFTTR was Adele's third single or called it a "promo single." 

Edited by Cap10Planet

7 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

Am I correct in saying that Nicki has never had a #1 on hot100 an d Demi has never had a top 10 hit? Both of these things are kinda shocking to me if true. These are important landmarks for a major artist.

Demi has 3 top 10s. This is Me, Skyscraper and Heart Attack   .

1 hour ago, unclefloprry said:

For a week, spends 11 weeks on Hot 100 & only sold 500K  :deadbanana3:

It set the album off to a great start(plus terrific WW total sales) and broadened his appeal to a more mature market. Thats far more valuable than a few extra hundred thousand itunes sales of a song. The song is timeless and will grow in stature over the years. Whereas Zayns Pillowtalk is more of its time and will age like full fat milk. And SOTT is STILL top 10 in several european markets like France.

Harry is now a respected artist in a way the others are not.

Edited by Rentboy

4 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

Super Early Predictions.

1. Bodak Yellow (+1) 

2. Look What You Made Me Do (-1) 

3. 1-800-273-8255 (=)

4. rockstar (NEW

5. Despacito (-1) 

6. Too Good At Goodbyes (-1)   

7. Wild Thoughts (-1) 

8. Attention (=) 

9. Feel It Still (+5) 

10. Slow Hands (+1) - or - Unforgettable (-3) 

I'm rooting hard for "Slow Hands" I think it's ridiculous that it's top 3 on radio and has a chance of missing the top 10. 

If both of these happen I will stan billboard 

RFI is an unusual case, as it is being played on radio, but it is still a promo single.

For Taylor, all of her official singles from her albums get videos, RFI doesn't have one. That's not saying RFI couldn't become a single later on, like IKYWT or OOTW did with Red and 1989, respectively, and get a video as well, but as of now it is just a promo single.

Taylor already has single #2 planned :gaycat3:

Edited by Headlock

13 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

Nicki doesn't have #1 hits but Demi has reached top 10, she barely scratches it tho, her highest peak is #9 :rip: 

9 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

It set the album off to a great start(plus terrific WW total sales) and broadened his appeal to a more mature market. Thats far more valuable than a few extra hundred thousand itunes sales of a song. The song is timeless and will grow in stature over the years. Whereas Zayns Pillowtalk is more of its time and will age like full fat milk. And SOTT is STILL top 10 in several european markets like France.

Harry is now a respected artist in a way the others are not.

Where? Because in this world... Nope

And he only spends 16 weeks on the WW Chart :celestial5:

Edited by unclefloprry

12 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Yes but they dont have dozens of features & therefore dozens of chances. Ill stay shocked.

8 minutes ago, B-Rabbit said:

Demi has 3 top 10s. This is Me, Skyscraper and Heart Attack   .

Oh I must have misread.

demi seriousy has bad luck

This Is Me #9
Skyscraper #10
Give Your Heart a Break #16
Heart Attack #10
Cool for the Summer #11

2 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

10 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Exactly,  there are just too many options and variations to be able to slap "official or promo on something in today's environment.

but fans need their labels, and a way to "justify" how certain songs perform, so the terms will get abused to serve their purposes.

It's really just a way of objectively categorising things so that people can discuss the campaign and promotion of an artist. There's no need to get dramatic about it.

15 minutes ago, Cap10Planet said:

How do we know that "Ready for It?" wasn't sent to radio?

If I remember correctly, "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele never had an official adds date posted on any reputable site, but it was a song that stuck and it became a #1 smash. No one would have ever denied that SFTTR was Adele's third single or called it a "promo single." 

Because it always gets reported, I thought?

SFTTR has a US release date on wikipedia with a source but the link is broken.

I have no idea if what you said about SFTTR is true, if it is then I guess it's an extremely unusual exception.. As in it was successful enough that it didn't need to go for adds. But it was definitely sent in the UK and so it's the third single by that release, and USA picked it up automatically.

The following conditions below make a song a single:

• Serviced to US radio with an official radio add date;
  • Distributed and sold by the label as a CD single or 7" or 12" single;
  • Promoted as a single and listed as a single in several publications;
  • Digital release that is similar to the release of previous singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Promotional_singles

b4fZLw7.gif

Just now, ChartsFan said:

It's an essay thst contains opinions by a wiki contributor.

hardly an official source...

its not that serious boo. Its as official as any opinion on ATRL. Including yours.

There is no official source on this, lol. It's not a science. 

More like a 'general consensus', and the wikipedia article sums it up.

3 hours ago, Witch Privilege said:

3 hours ago, Agenor said:

It's her official Taylor Swift channel (when you search for TS on youtube, RFI is the 3rd result, after LWYMMD official and lyric video, and above SIO and BS) and it's not blocked on mobile, check it again.

It's on her personal/official channel (every artists has one) & not her VEVO which has 24 m followers .Both WTNY & OOTW snippets were also posted on that channel when they were promo singles & the video of RFI is still blocked on mobile .You can see it but you can't play it (at least for me)