Billboard Charts (August 27 - September 2, 2017)

iHype.

25 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

probably not

:deadbanana3:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• UNNAMI

• butterflysupreme

• QueenofCopyPaste

19 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Not that it completely justifies the numbers but there was a lot of hype on twitter + instagram about the video, as in Nicki was hyping it for weeks. So it's possible that the demographic of Tidal (which probably correlates well with their fans) streamed the vid there a lot compared to youtube.

The video was a TIDAL exclusive for the first week. You didn't need a subscription to view it, as it was on the homepage. 

It only went to YouTube last Saturday (Aug 26th), but as @Rico Shameless v2 said, it definitely would've still gotten the same amount (if not more) views if premiered on VEVO instead of TIDAL.

Which is why I kept asking @simmnfierzig how many streams did it need to go Top 10 because I knew the video would produce a crazy amount of views, due to the popularity of the song + Nicki and Blac Chyna racing in the video. As well as because I knew ATRL wouldn't be tracking the song to KNOW of the video's hype because they normally don't pay attention to Urban songs unless they're already in the T10. 

10 hours ago, butterflysupreme said:

So she won

In sports, a tie counts as 1/2 win and 1/2 loss. Before College Football started using overtime in 1996, there were fairly frequent ties in the game, and once in a blue moon you will still see a tie in a NFL game (I only watch college). When calculating the tie into the team's winning percentage at the end of the season, the tie counts as 0.5 wins and 0.5 losses. So she tied, or she half won AND half lost. The tie does not make her a winner, so she did not outright win anything.

butterflysupreme
2 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

In sports, a tie counts as 1/2 win and 1/2 loss. Before College Football started using overtime in 1996, there were fairly frequent ties in the game, and once in a blue moon you will still see a tie in a NFL game (I only watch college). When calculating the tie into the team's winning percentage at the end of the season, the tie counts as 0.5 wins and 0.5 losses. So she tied, or she half won AND half lost. The tie does not make her a winner, so she did not outright win anything.

To quote Whitney "this is music, not boxing". She won because she gets to keep the record, no song has spent more time than OSD at number one.

12 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

The video was apparently very successful on Tidal :-$

TIDAL, ha revenge! :ahh: 

TIDAL Strikes Again. :ahh: 

I love how we basically had 3 new #1’s a week before Despacito’s 16 week record-tying chart run. Not to mention Starboy got a week in the beginning of the year.

I see Taylor being #1 until the end of fall unless we get some competition or she replaces herself.

14 hours ago, Willy. said:

The video was a TIDAL exclusive for the first week. You didn't need a subscription to view it, as it was on the homepage. 

It only went to YouTube last Saturday (Aug 26th), but as @Rico Shameless v2 said, it definitely would've still gotten the same amount (if not more) views if premiered on VEVO instead of TIDAL.

Which is why I kept asking @simmnfierzig how many streams did it need to go Top 10 because I knew the video would produce a crazy amount of views, due to the popularity of the song + Nicki and Blac Chyna racing in the video. As well as because I knew ATRL wouldn't be tracking the song to KNOW of the video's hype because they normally don't pay attention to Urban songs unless they're already in the T10. 

I think the problem is most people (as in the chart followers/calculators on ATRL not fans/casual listeners) didn't know this, so they didn't take into account the extra streams it will get on Tidal since it was public. Being that Universal doesn't do "exclusives" anymore can probably explain why you didn't need a subscription to see it.

I assume that most of ATRL (the ones who follow urban) knew Cardi and Nicki would be top 10 at the same time. They probably assumed it would hit top ten next week not this week (as I did as well).

20 hours ago, swissman said:

I'm just saying YouTube shouldn't autoplay if someone isn't coming there specifically to play the video.

Exactly there is no need for it. It didnt happen before(the video would stop playing after 2 seconds) and it seems they have now changed it to autoplay to bolster views. I know personally I go back to comments TONS of times because of all the notifications. Not just replies to your own posts but any replies in a thread. Some on here are underestimating how much traffic the comments create for a video. Its a discussion forum just like ATRL and many use it as such. Especially when it comes to the big pop girls or any controversial video. Huge traffic.

Edited by Rentboy

ranking songs which peaked in T10 this year with at least 10 weeks T10:

i don't wanna live forever

bad things

shape of you

humble

paris

that's what I like

something just like this

despacito

I'm the one

mask off

bad and boujee

don't wanna know

XO Tour Llif3

starboy

wild thoughts

next week we will have Zayn, Kelly Clarkson and Sam Smith songs on the same day :clown:

44 minutes ago, UNNAMI said:

next week we will have Zayn, Kelly Clarkson and Sam Smith songs on the same day :clown:

:eatpopcorn:

49 minutes ago, UNNAMI said:

So.... Nothing interesting chart wise? K

So Despacito won't break the record? :angry: 

3 minutes ago, EdgeOfAddiction said:

So Despacito won't break the record? :angry: 

Nope. Taylor saved the Queen

Just now, Green said:

Nope. Taylor saved the Queen

Ugh. That girl.

12 hours ago, butterflysupreme said:

To quote Whitney "this is music, not boxing". She won because she gets to keep the record, no song has spent more time than OSD at number one.

As I said, a tie is NOT a win. I like Carey, but We Belong Together is a far bigger and better song. And, as many others on here have correctly pointed out, B2M had already broken and tied #1 longevity records earlier in the 1990s. Carey had not, nor would she approach that record until 2005. 

All I remember is how her fans never wanted any song to even tie the OSD record. So, now that someone has tied the record, I guess we are all supposed to automatically forget all of you felt that way? I should know better by now that trying to ration with any stans, and certainly NOT limited to just those who stan for Carey, is a lost cause.

3 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

ranking songs which peaked in T10 this year with at least 10 weeks T10:

i don't wanna live forever

bad things

shape of you

humble

paris

that's what I like

something just like this

despacito

I'm the one

mask off

bad and boujee

don't wanna know

XO Tour Llif3

starboy

wild thoughts

Shape Of You and Despacito are far and away the biggest songs with 10+ weeks at #1 in 2017. The Swift/Zayn collaboration had terrible longevity after leaving the Top 10.

butterflysupreme
13 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

As I said, a tie is NOT a win. I like Carey, but We Belong Together is a far bigger and better song. And, as many others on here have correctly pointed out, B2M had already broken and tied #1 longevity records earlier in the 1990s. Carey had not, nor would she approach that record until 2005. 

All I remember is how her fans never wanted any song to even tie the OSD record. So, now that someone has tied the record, I guess we are all supposed to automatically forget all of you felt that way? I should know better by now that trying to ration with any stans, and certainly NOT limited to just those who stan for Carey, is a lost cause.

She won because no song has spent more time at number one. Yes, she SHARES the record, but she won in the sense that no song surpassed OSD. As for WBT, OSD is arguably hetter and bigger (WW):

I'm a fan of hers and I don't mind her sharing the record as long as no song surpasses 16 weeks. It was never her record alone anyway. Not all of us felt that way, so don't even generalise. Your post makes no sense because people were happy Despacito never got to 17 weeks despite tying the record. Try again.

2 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

So.... Nothing interesting chart wise? K

but music-wise a lot. and I think zayn may reach top 3

7 minutes ago, UNNAMI said:

But music-wise a lot. And I think ZAYN may reach top 3.

How?... :rip: I mean, I like him a lot, but... :rip: 

Edited by Pacaveli

ranking means personal opinion. It is my correct personal opinion that Taylor's song is better than everyone else's.

...anyway, hope Taylor dominates all the charts for awhile.