UK adds new chart-breaking rule

BlazingLovatic

I like the intention behind the new rules but they're not well thought out. 

the 10week rule only works when you have a massive song like Despicito/One Dance which dominates right out the gate, but most songs from new artists take months to reach their peak and these are the tracks that are going to be hit the hardest.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderao

• BlazingLovatic

• bestfiction

• Brinny Baby

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Navyofbadgals said:

The U.K. Charts are ruining themselves :skull: 

SO stupid

First Brexit, now this.

As long as it gets rid of a ginger guy who cares :cm:

It's a very inaccurate rule. I mean; I can get 25 weeks, but not 10, though... The charts must focus on popularity of the songs, not on the temporary popularity, though. The longevity should be a part of all charts (yes, the whole 10 weeks on the chart don't mean longevity), because we shouldn't delete the x song from the x chart, only because it has damn longevity on the chart, though. The fact, that the x song is old and boring, because of its longevity, doesn't mean, that this song is unpopular, though... 

Edited by Pacaveli

38 minutes ago, BlazingLovatic said:

It doesn't make sense for them to be so opposed to the singles chart longevity, but let the albums chart do what it wants.

The #6 album in the UK right now has charted for 224 weeks, #12 is at 158 weeks, #15 is at 259 weeks and #18 is at 199 weeks  :skull:

Well, albums IMO actually should have longetivity, BB has been always filled with the albums charting for 12345 weeks as well.

Singles are released as the part of the promotional campaign, so when the campagn ends, I personally don't want to see these songs on the charts anymore.

Wild Thoughts coming for number 1 :duca:

tragic rule though, and 10 weeks is not a long time

8 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Well, albums IMO actually should have longetivity, BB has been always filled with the albums charting for 12345 weeks as well.

Singles are released as the part of the promotional campaign, so when the campagn ends, I personally don't want to see these songs on the charts anymore.

Well, just because you don't want to see them on the chart doesn't mean they shouldn't chart. 

Who or what is charting should never be a priority. The priority should be accuracy– and these new rules abandon that egregiously.

This is stupid

• ATRL Moderator

wow, and I thought billboard was stubborn :hoetenks:

edit: omfg you know what this mean? mr brightside is OVER on the UK top 100! :skull:

Edited by Yndda

I'm interested to see how this shakes things up. Every time new rules are introduced people get upset but warm-up to them eventually. :beatfreak:

Every music chart has had major flaws in the past. Billboard is far from perfect. The Hot 100 didn't even allow songs to chart unless a physical single was released untill 1998. :skull: There's songs that spent multiple weeks at #1 on radio yet didn't even chart... Many 90s hits also didn't reach their full potential chart-wise since radio spins on R&B radio weren't even counted on the Hot 100 back in the day. :skull:

No one seems to be upset about Billboard ripping "recurrent" songs off their chart after 20 weeks so I don't see an issue with the UK deciding to cut points after a certain number of weeks. 10 weeks seems far too short but again, majority of chart rules are annoying and flawed. 

This is pretty stupid because if the charts try to reflect the most popular songs, why is there the need to get rid of the songs that are currently listened to?

35 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Who or what is charting should never be a priority. The priority should be accuracy– and these new rules abandon that egregiously.

The accuracy has been abandoned when they started to account streaming on the charts :cm: so who cares anyway

The streaming age is ruining everything.

200w.gif

37 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

The accuracy has been abandoned when they started to account streaming on the charts :cm: so who cares anyway

What a ludicrous statement. :rip: 

These rules are so stupid, especially #2. What a foolish chart this will become.

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Brando said:

Great change. Longevity in the modern era kills diversity. 

This is why they're doing it - to kill the stagnancy streaming has wrought.

@Brinny Baby I can't see radio ever being a part of the UK's methodology, and I kinda like it that way?

APPARENTLY if the songs sees increases after the 10-week mark, it can GO BACK to the 150:1 ratio? :rip:

So:

Week 11 - Decrease / 150:1

Week 12 - Decrease / 150:1

Week 13 - Decrease / 150:1

Week 14 - Decrease / 300:1

Week 15 - Decrease / 300:1

Week 16 - Increase / 150:1

This is going to make songs just hang around the #75-#100 region for ages.

This is stupid and inconsistent. The anti-streaming brigade must stop.

Edited by Communion

^ lol :skull: Incompetence overload at the OCC

5 hours ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Wtf ? This is ridiculous 

Might help stop Rihanna getting her 55th #2 peaking song :skull: imma not complain just yet 

10 minutes ago, PhreshDiamond said:

Might help stop Rihanna getting her 55th #2 peaking song :skull: imma not complain just yet 

I didn't think about that :eli: 

What is this mess? This is so dumb and manipulative. 

6 hours ago, Brando said:

Great change. Longevity in the modern era kills diversity. 

This :cm: 

That's so stupid :skull:

At least if it was 20 weeks or so, but 10?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.