UK adds new chart-breaking rule

BlazingLovatic

1. a cap on the number of tracks by an artist that can feature in the Top 100. Only the three most popular tracks by a lead artist will now be eligible for the charts although songs on which an artist is a featured artist will not count towards that total

2. Once a track has been on the chart for at least 10 weeks and has declined for three consecutive weeks its streaming to sales ratio will change from 150:1 to 300:1 in an attempt to accelerate its disappearance from the chart

3. The rules apply from this Friday (30 June) with the first chart published under the new rules on 7 July.

x

So the streams of a song which is more than 10 weeks old are worth 1/2 the amount of streams of a 9 week old song... so even if it would climb back up the chart again after the 3 weeks decline, this makes it almost impossible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderao

• BlazingLovatic

• bestfiction

• khalyan

Top Posters In This Topic

These rules are just plain stupid. The chart is supposed to be about telling which songs are the biggest songs. It's turning into some game or I don't even know what.

Edited by E•MO•TION

Wtf ? This is ridiculous 

Edited by istan4badgalriri

This is messy :skull: 

boycott it

• ATRL Moderator

I'm guessing they're trying to shake up the longevity of streaming hits or bigger albums but I don't see of the point only letting 3 songs chart from an artist

Edited by Tsareena

so I guess any recurrent songs that get a big boost, i.e. One Last Time recently, wouldn't be able to come back as strong

people were talking about Mariah's AIWFCIY potentially reaching #1 in the future as each year so far it repeaks now that streaming is incorporated

lmao

Textbook on how to kill longevity. Bee predicted our dark future. No legacy.

tumblr_nijarwMTsX1rnigreo3_400.gif

I'm here for this! Tired from the same songs being perched there forever because of powerful streaming!

Yeah, it makes no sense. :toofunny3: This defeats the purpose of having a chart which tracks hit singles.

2 minutes ago, BlackAura said:

I'm here for this! Tired from the same songs being perched there forever because of powerful streaming!

Yeah, but 10 weeks isn't really a long time, especially when you consider that these songs are all fairly new/still popular

They'll all plummet off the chart starting from next week

14) Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
15) Charlie Puth - Attention 
17) Clean Bandit feat Zara Larsson - Symphony
20) Jason Derulo - Swalla
23) J Hus - Did You See
27) The Chainsmokers and Coldplay - Something Just Like This
29) Disciples - On My Mind
32) Cheat Codes feat Demi Lovato - No Promises
33) Future - Mask Off
35) Martin Jensen - Solo Dance
37) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
40) Kendrick Lemar - Humble

11 minutes ago, E•MO•TION said:

These rules are just plain stupid. The chart is supposed to be about telling which songs are the biggest songs. It's turning into some game or I don't even know what.

Exactly, this is the dumbest thing ever.

The UK Official Charts Company has been losing its credibility recently, and this is just the final nail in the coffin.

First, the ridiculous rule of three songs per album (in an attempt to allow real singles to chart well instead of album cuts) and now this just to give their charts some speed, this 10 weeks thing. When all this could be solved by just including radio in our charts.

#1 Radio doesn't play album cuts

#2 Radio will naturally give the charts some speed

#3 Radio isn't a random rule change since it's integral to how people consume music, so the charts will still reflect popularity.  

Edited by Brinny Baby

Great change. Longevity in the modern era kills diversity. 

1 minute ago, Brinny Baby said:

The UK Official Charts Company has been losing its credibility recently, and this is just the final nail in the coffin.

You nailed it (no pun intended). They are simply asinine.

3 minutes ago, Brinny Baby said:

First, the ridiculous rule of three songs per album (in an attempt to allow real singles to chart well instead of album cuts) and now this just to give their charts some speed, this 10 weeks thing. When all this could be solved by just including radio in our charts.

#1 Radio doesn't play album cuts

#2 Radio will naturally give the charts some speed

#3 Radio isn't a random rule change since it's integral to how people consume music, so the charts will still reflect popularity.  

This, this and this  :cm:

As long as a certain male artist ATRL gasses up doesn’t benefit from this, I don’t care

The U.K. Charts are ruining themselves :skull: 

SO stupid

10 weeks is way too short. :skull:

Many hits reach the bottleneck phase in their third month before another resurgence. Now they're just going to throw them off the charts :skull: 

All of these chart changes are just making it so the chart no longer accurately measures consumption. If the song has the stats to chart, it should chart.

They're gaming their own system. Ridiculous. If a song is popular it's popular. Stop trying to force things.

actually here for it!

poor Mariah tho

Edited by Amoeba

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.