ATRL decides: how does Die With A Smile compare to Gaga's other "big 6" global hits?

Hector

Since I've already seen Monsters calling it the biggest hit of the year...  

57 members have voted

1. 1. how does it stack up to the rest of her big global smashes?

• It is as successful as the other six, and feels just as big.
    • It may be as successful as the other six, but doesn't feel "near as big yet".
    • In spite of Die With A Smile's current dominance in the world, it doesn't feel like it'll ever stack up to Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance, Telephone, Born This Way, or Shallow.

The ballad ties for the longest Global 200 reign this year, matching the seven weeks that Benson Boone's "Beautiful Things" notched at No. 1 in February-April. "Die With a Smile" is one week from potentially equaling the longest Global Excl. U.S. command in 2024, after only the eight-week stays for "Beautiful Things" (February-April) and Sabrina Carpenter's "Espresso" (May-July).

Meanwhile, "Die With a Smile" has topped the Global 200 and Global Excl. U.S. for seven weeks consecutively, marking the longest uninterrupted run atop each tally this year.

Which begs the question; how does this compare to Gaga's big seven other huge undeniable hits: Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance, Telephone, Born This Way, and Shallow?

IFPI's Top 10 Global Songs Of 2009:

1. Poker Face - Lady Gaga - 9.8 million

4. Just Dance - Lady Gaga - 7.7 million

Mediatraffic writeups on both:

Spoiler

Just Dance - Lady GaGa feat. Colby O'Donis  3 weeks No.1  between week 4, 2009 and week 6, 2009
Label: Interscope - Writers: Stefani Germanotta, Nadir Khayat, Aliaune Thiam - Producers: RedOne

"Just Dance" was released on April 8, 2008 as the lead single from Lady GaGa's debut studio album The Fame (2008). The song was written by GaGa in ten minutes as 'a happy record'. It's an uptempo electropop, synthpop, dancepop song, combining synths of clipped marching beats with soaring electronics. Lyrically it speaks about being intoxicated at a club. "Just Dance" grew up very slowly and finally became a no.1 smash in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, and Ireland.

Poker Face - Lady GaGa  8 weeks No.1  between week 13, 2009 and week 20, 2009
Label: Interscope - Writers: Stefani Germanotta, Nadir Khayat - Producers: RedOne

Lady GaGa's signature song "Poker Face" was released on September 23, 2008 as the second single from her debut studio album The Fame (2008). The synth-pop song following in the footsteps of her previous single "Just Dance", but with a darker musical tone. The main idea behind the song is bisexuality and was a tribute by GaGa to her rock and roll boyfriends. The song's lyrics feature various sexual innuendos. The sensational music video for "Poker Face", directed by Ray Kay, was filmed at the luxury villa on bwin PokerIsland and featured bwin branded poker equipment as product placement. The song topped the charts in many countries, including in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Ireland. "Poker Face" won the Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording. It topped also the Year-End Chart 2009 with 9,207,000 points.

IFPI Top 10 Global Songs Of 2010:

02 Lady Gaga, Bad Romance 9.7m

04 Lady Gaga feat. Beyoncé, Telephone 7.4m

Mediatraffic writeups on both:

Spoiler

Bad Romance - Lady GaGa  6 weeks No.1  between week 48, 2009 and week 3, 2010
Label: Interscope - Writers: Stefani Germanotta, Nadir Khayat - Producers: RedOne, Lady Gaga

"Bad Romance" is from Lady Gaga's third extended play, The Fame Monster (2009) and was released on October 26, 2009. Lyrically, "Bad Romance" explores Gaga's attraction to individuals with whom romance never works, her preference for lonely relationships and the paranoia she experienced while on tour. Following an illegal demo leak, Gaga showcased the final product at Alexander McQueen's show at the Paris Fashion Week in October 2009, followed by the release of the single's cover art. Musically, "Bad Romance" features a spoken bridge, a full-throated chorus and sung lyrics about being in love with one's best friend. The song, which is imbued with elements of Germanesque house and techno, as well as music from 1980s and the 1990s, was touted by Gaga as an experimental pop record. "Bad Romance" topped the charts in many countries: United Kingdom, Germany, France, Canada, Italy, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Spain and other.

Telephone - Lady GaGa feat. Beyoncé  2 weeks No.1  between week 16, 2010 and week 17, 2010
Label: Interscope - Writers: Stefani Germanotta, Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, LaShawn Daniels, Lazonate Franklin, Beyoncé Knowles - Producers: Darkchild, Lady Gaga

"Telephone" is a collaboration with American R&B singer Beyoncé and taken from Lady Gaga's third EP, The Fame Monster (2009). It was released as a single on January 26, 2010. Inspired by her fear of suffocation, Gaga explained that the lyrics portray herself preferring the dance floor instead of answering her lover's phone call and noted that the telephone addressed in the lyrics of the song is, in reality, a person telling her to continue working harder. Originally, Gaga wrote the song for Britney Spears, who recorded a demo of "Telephone". After Spears rejected the track, it leaked onto the web in May 2010. Musically, "Telephone" consists of an expanded bridge, verse-rap and an epilogue where the voice of an operator announces that the phone line is unreachable. Beyoncé appears in the middle of the song, singing the verses in a rapid-fire way, accompanied by double beats.

IFPI Top 10 Global Songs Of 2011:

06 Lady Gaga, Born This Way 8.2 million

Mediatraffic:

Spoiler

Born This Way - Lady GaGa  7 weeks No.1  between week 8, 2011 and week 14, 2011
Label: Interscope - Writers: Stefani Germanotta, Jeppe Laursen - Producers: Lady Gaga, Fernando Garibay, Jeppe Laursen, DJ White Shadow

"Born This Way" is the lead single from Lady Gaga's second studio album of the same name. It was developed while Gaga was on the road with The Monster Ball Tour. Inspired by the 1990s empowering music for women and the gay community, Gaga explained that "Born This Way" was her freedom song. She sang part of the chorus at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in 2010 and announced the song as the lead single from the album. The single was released on February 11, 2011. The song is backed by rumbling synth sounds, a humming bass and additional chorus percussion, with sole organ toward the end. The lyrics discuss the self-empowerment of minorities including the LGBT community as well as racial minorities, referring to "cholas" and "orients", which drew criticism from Latino and Asian communities. Critics positively reviewed the song, calling it a "club-ready anthem", though it faced criticism for having similarities with Madonna's 1989 single "Express Yourself". The song reached number one in over 25 countries and was her third single to top the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and the 1,000th song in that chart's history (since 1958) to reach number one.

IFPI Top 10 Global Songs Of 2019:

8 Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper Shallow 10.2 million

Billboard Global 200 Songs Year End Chart:

2021: #63 Shallow

2022: #67 Shallow

2023: #126 Shallow

Mediatraffic writeup:

Spoiler

Shallow - Lady GaGa & Bradley Cooper  1 week No.1  week 10, 2019
Label: Interscope - Writers: Lady GaGa, Andrew Wyatt, Anthony Rossomando, Mark Ronson - Producers: Lady GaGa, Benjamin Rice

"Shallow" was released on September 27, 2018 as the lead single from the soundtrack of the 2018 musical romantic drama film, A Star Is Born. It's a slow-burning, country and folk-pop-influenced power ballad. The song is heard three times throughout the film, most prominently during a sequence when Cooper's character Jackson Maine invites GaGa's character Ally to perform it onstage with him. The scene was filmed in front of a live audience at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles, California. "Shallow" won many awards, among other things the 2019 Grammys for Best Pop Duo / Group Performance and Best Song Written For Visual Media. It went to no.1 in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, New Zealand, Ireland, and Hungary.

Edited by Hector

It's not as big tbh. It didn't even go #1 on the Hot 100 aka the biggest chart in the world.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's still growing, I'm sure it'll feel more "comparable" by the end of the year. 

• Like 2

Why isn't it yet #1 on the hot 100? 

Genuinely curious.

The other hits actually feel like hits, while Die With a Smile is just a filler hit. You never hear it playing anywhere, no one talks about it, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

4 minutes ago, GrandeVersace said:

Genuinely curious.

bruno mars can only do so much

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, GrandeVersace said:

Genuinely curious.

autoplay can only do so much

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, nsst said:

The other hits actually feel like hits, while Die With a Smile is just a filler hit. You never hear it playing anywhere, no one talks about it, etc.

And do you really believe it 

:suburban:

-

Honestly, I think it's too early for this question, but the fact that DWAS Is showing enough stamina to end up being Top 10 on IFPI Year End Chart, all while being released in August, is WILD

20 minutes ago, nsst said:

Ive heard it so many times on TikTok and at the gym :chick1: one of the few time ill ever take my earbuds out there

28 minutes ago, nsst said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvsgJqxtKkU97FP5RCp2Z

• Haha 4

Gaga needs to have 6 Global Hits first.
I count: Bad Romance, Pokerface, Just Dance & Shallow (yes, IPFS or whatever is NOT a reliable standard anyway)
So out of the 4, her new "hit" is NOT even a hit just a filler/fraud hit.
Its fueled by autoplays and NO ONE in gp knows or references this song so...

Edited by Mrnoniee
  • Thumbs Down 6

25 minutes ago, oceans said:

bruno mars can only do so much

19 minutes ago, gatito said:

autoplay can only do so much

I expect a serious answer not trolls. 

I don't have time for shady people like you. 

I feel like its bigger than BTW and Telephone, on par with Shallow and pretty far from JD/PF/BR, which are honestly nearly untouchable atp

• Like 2

Right now : 

1. Poker Face

2. Shallow

3. Bad Romance

4. Just Dance

5. Born This Way

6. Die With a Smile

7. Telephone

But seeing how monstrously huge is Die With A Smile, it could totally end up in the top 3. Top 5 is guaranteed at this point, it just needs some time. 

edit : it might actually be bigger than Born This Way right now. :jonnykin:

Edited by Summer Boy
  • Like 1

It's starting to feel like a big hit cos recently i was walking in Budapest and they were playing it then i saw a drunk couple in the street watching the video and screaming the words

so it's getting there 

• Like 1

I've genuinely never heard of this song outside of ATRL. But I don't use TikTok or listen to the radio so

Friends never mention it, it's never playing anywhere I go, etc.

• Thanks 1

Bigger than Born This Way, Telephone and Shallow. Will prob end up in her Top 3.

• Like 1

I've heard this song once on radio while hosts promoting Harlequin, and I was like what that song has to do with dat album :giraffe:

• Haha 1

I mean clearly it's a smash hit, but it's for the hets so it's not really coming up on my algo/feed so it doesn't seem like one to me but that doesn't mean it's not objectively a hit. 

35 minutes ago, Florence Belch said:

And do you really believe it 

Yeah, I do. I see people claiming it's going viral on TikTok, but I haven't seen it on my FYP. Anyway, it's also a Bruno Mars song, and he's definitely the type to use these tricks to 'boost' a track, even if no one's actually listening to it - kind of like that recent hit of his, the one with something about a door. So, yeah. But one thing's for sure: the actual consumption of this song doesn't match the hype

In my opinion it does not compare with her biggest songs like BR, PF or Shallow. I've seen its streams and they're obviously impressive, it feels popular right now but I don't necessarily hear the song much irl (radios, tv, even on social medias). It went top 20 in my country so it has room to grow obviously.

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

50 minutes ago, GrandeVersace said:

I expect a serious answer not trolls. 

I don't have time for shady people like you. 

:bibliahh:

It doesn't feel like a hit because radio doesn't play it that much. Bars and clubs definitely won't play it because the vibe doesn't fit. But it's becoming a staple love song for events (wedding, funerals, karaoke parties)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nsst said:

Yeah, I do. I see people claiming it's going viral on TikTok, but I haven't seen it on my FYP. Anyway, it's also a Bruno Mars song, and he's definitely the type to use these tricks to 'boost' a track, even if no one's actually listening to it - kind of like that recent hit of his, the one with something about a door. So, yeah. But one thing's for sure: the actual consumption of this song doesn't match the hype

That's the point though: just because something that's objectivily popular doesn't pop up in your feed, it doesn't mean that it's less popular than it actually is.

An example: still to this day I haven't heard or seen a reel with the new Post Malone and that Morgan guy song, and I could debate what you're saying. But I would be wrong, simply because my feed isn't representative of the entire GP and all its target audiences.

Let's not fall there sis :gaygacat2:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.