'from the album polari by olly alexander' on the cupids bow artwork

O7CgTIfKEg9fXbdRW0JNkmH7zBGdCsmaFPMZnhpj 

• Like 3

Here for the bops :jamming: 

• Confused 1

RIP Years & Years I guess :gaycat6:

• Like 1

• ATRL Administrator

Hasn’t made a good album since the debut but good luck!

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Hasn't made a good album since the debut but good luck!

Palo Santo was their second album :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe Enter the Void was his peak :skull:

44 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Not when Palo Santo is right there as his best album

• Like 5

Wait he's not going as Y&Y anymore?

His Eurovision song was good and the GP did too much on the performance. Now that was a real hate train...

But at least all that attention made me want to watch his It's a Sin show and it loved it so much. I also revisited some of his Y&Y stuff and yeah, it's a bit pots and pans but it's not unredeemable garbage.

Perched for the new album.

Edited by ChooseyLover

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

50 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Palo Santo was their second album :) 

15 minutes ago, bruninho said:

Not when Palo Santo is right there as his best album

I actually enjoyed NIGHT CALL ... Hopefully his new album will be more in dance-electronic vibe rather than mid-tempo songs

• Like 2

it can't possibly get worse than Night Call so i guess we'll see

Emre and Mikey truly took all the magic the group had with them and now they replaced him with another ****** so he is not safe anymore :fan:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

I actually enjoyed NIGHT CALL ... Hopefully his new album will be more in dance-electronic vibe rather than mid-tempo songs

I like NC a lot, so overhated for no good reason lol

PS > NC > whatever the first one is called

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VENUSWAVE said:

it can't possibly get worse than Night Call so i guess we'll see

Emre and Mikey truly took all the magic the group had with them and now they replaced him with another ****** so he is not safe anymore :fan:

Oh they released something? I'm out of the loop with them ngl

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Into The Void said:

Wait he's not going as Y&Y anymore?

nope, changed it to just his name when he did Eurovision

Emre and Mikey did all the magic from Years & Years

hope he can do something on his own

• Like 1

Interesting title Polari.

Bit of background: Polari was a "gay language" ( well various different words and usages rather than a full on language), that probably originated in the 18th century and was recorded for certain from the 1890's. It used words of all kinds of origins ( Romance languages, Romani, Gaelic, Hindi, Yiddish) as well as altering English words.  

The usage was to disguise gayness or at least create enough linguistic fog to throw off unwanted attention from the authorities, or indeed straight folk, and create a vernacular between gays. It came to its most prominent state as late as the 1960's when two characters in a U.K. comedy radio sketch show used it a lot (they became the most popular characters: one was played by a very famous actor in the U.K. called Kenneth Williams who was extremely camp), although this in itself caused it to lose a lot of its usefulness as the words became mainstream ( "naff" in British English being one of them, meaning "not very good" and used all the time now), so it has largely died out, though the 1967 legislation in the U.K. legalising gay sex came right after the show too, meaning some of the need for Polari began to fall away too, slowly.

Edited by Vermouth
  • Like 3

Night Call had some 10/10 songs on it (Muscle, Sooner Or Later, the title track) and Hallucination was one of my most played songs in 2022. I really love Georgia as a producer so hopefully they've worked together again for this. Highly recommend her album Euphoric if you like 90's euro dance inspired pop.

Wasn't familiar with Polari so had to do some research. Sounds interesting but tough to know how it will translate to a full album. Also seafaring gay might not be enough of a shift away from the mermaid imagery of Night Call.

Cautiously optimistic!

7 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

Interesting title Polari.

Bit of background: Polari was a "gay language" ( well various different words and usages rather than a full on language), that probably originated in the 18th century and was recorded for certain from the 1890's. It used words of all kinds of origins ( Romance languages, Romani, Yiddish) as well as altering English words.  

The usage was to disguise gayness or at least create enough linguistic fog to throw off unwanted attention from the authorities, or indeed straight folk.  It came to its most prominent state as late as the 1960's when two characters in a U.K. comedy radio sketch show used it a lot (they became the most popular characters: one was played by a very famous actor in the U.K. called Kenneth Williams who was extremely camp), although this in itself caused it to lose a lot of its usefulness as the words became mainstream ( "naff" in British English being one of them, meaning "not very good" and used all the time now), so it has largely died out, though the 1967 legislation in the U.K. legalising gay sex came right after the show too, meaning some of the need for Polari began to fall away too, slowly.

you just made that up 

ot. we will be streaming 

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, shyboi said:

you just made that up 

ot. we will be streaming 

I can assure you I didn't.

Check it out.  There's loads of sources.

Edited by Vermouth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just heard "Cupid Bow"

Duration 2:51

Deep synth heavy driven dance track, slightly 80s beat but unfortunately chorus is not strong enough because instrumental is very monotone with verses.

Heavy reverb effect on vocals, in bridge almost "weeknd-esque"

It has great base but unfortunately it would need more airy synth in the chorus so it has more impact.

But bonus points for proper bridge ;)

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 1

cool title, I wanna learn how to speak polari tbh :gaycat2:

38 minutes ago, shyboi said:

you just made that up 

ot. we will be streaming 

Dummy

• Thanks 2

could be a great concept album with that title. clever!!

• Like 1

his name still being Olly Alexander (Years & Years) on Spotify is atrocious.... anyway Cupid's Bow is cute 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.