The Daily Beast: Can Gaga's acting career recover from J:FaD?

TrymeB

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/can-lady-gagas-acting-career-recover-from-joker-folie-a-deux-flop

In that first go-around with A Star is Born, Gaga had to push down some doors. The Academy has historically been quite displeased with singers-turned-actresses. The last pop star to be nominated for Best Actress before Gaga was Cher—in 1988, that is. At the time of A Star is Born, that disdain was still fresh: In one of the THR anonymous ballots, a voter wrote that Gaga "shines like a goddess when she's onstage and singing, but I don't think I bought her in a single moment beyond that." How sad, then, that Selena Gomez is a predicted nominee this year for Emilia Perez, and Ariana Grande remains on the bubble for Wicked, while Gaga has essentially dropped off the forecasters' lists.

The Daily Beast article linked above explores whether Lady Gaga's acting career can recover after the commercial and critical failure of Joker: Folie à Deux. Has her once-promising transition from pop star to award-winning actress following A Star is Born, been derailed with the flop of her latest film? Critics are questioning whether Gaga's involvement in Joker 2 was a misstep, but there's debate to be had over whether this setback will truly damage her acting prospects long-term, or if it's just a bump in her trajectory.

What do you think? Can Gaga bounce back or is her acting career in trouble as Miss Grace Randolph had predicted last week? Please keep the discussion civil and on topic without attacking any opinions that may be different than your own. 

Yes the flop has way more to do more with WB and the script.... 

They should be more worried about Todd's career as a director, going by the reviews and people's problem with the film.  :heart:

Gaga will be fine and will continue to book roles for sure. Hopefully, she knows better who to trust the next time. 

Edited by Ethereaaal

Idts, no sane director is going to hire Gaga after 2 consecutive bombs :gaycat6:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 13

• ATRL Moderator

People are still acting like Gaga is the first actress to be in a flop movie?  :toofunny2: She'll be fine.  I thankfully haven't seen any reviews that say she was bad, just the story.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Femininomenon said:

Idts, no sane director is going to hire Gaga after 2 consecutive bombs :gaycat6:

Are the "2 consecutive bombs" in the room with us?  House of Gucci wasn't a smash, but it did decently well.  Especially for being an R-rated film before movie theatre attendance went back to normal.

Of course, all actors & actresses have their share in horribly rated movies, including Meryl Streep (two consecutive 27% RT in one year - 2007). Learning is a continuous process.

Edited by Solar
  • Thanks 1

Of course she can, people are not dragging her - it's actually the opposite, people are saying how she deserved better.

And acclaimed/successful actresses were part of panned movies all the time. It would be bad for her if she was panned for her role, regardless if the film was acclaimed or not, but it's not the case

But anyways i'm not seeing this energy towards Joaquin... he was also great in the movie but he already had the whole controversy of dropping out of that other film and now Joker is bombing. He's on a much worse position lol

Edited by Lady Claire

She's finished. She should issue us an apology effective immediately :gaycat1:

I feel knife backed and betrayed 

I find it bizarre that people are acting like A-list actors and actresses have  never starred in critical and commercial bombs. This is common :deadbanana4:.  Gaga's acting career should be fine as long as she doesn't chase after blockbusters and selects better scripts.

37 minutes ago, Femininomenon said:

How is the movie that gave Gaga multiple prestigious acting nominations bad for her? Gucci would not have grossed as much as it did without Gaga.

Edited by JoJo
  • Like 4

well it's over :suburban:

Now why are we reading articles out of the daily beast...

Anyways, she'll be fine. Apart from incels who are seething that she's not a ****-out harley quinn straight out of their wet dreams, the only major criticism of her is that she was wasted in this role. Idk why y'all insist on pinning this on a woman who ended up having a supporting role and not on the man who wrote and directed the movie. 

Regardless, she only chooses to take roles every couple years anyways. We can circle back when she actually has a panned movie because of her performance, and not because of the men who wrote and directed the movie. I just hope she learns from this and is more choose-y with her next script and works with a director who isn't scared to use her. 

Edited by RatGod

No and I think they should be asking this question of Todd and Joaquin first, given that she is a supporting actor. That said I think MovieGa fans should temper their expectations of Oscar noms and her always getting critical acclaim for her film roles because the industry is fickle and critics can switch quickly on outsiders like Gaga, Madonna and other musicians that transitioned into acting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RatGod said:

Now why are we reading articles out of the daily beast...

Anyways, she'll be fine. Apart from incels who are seething that she's not a ****-out harley quinn straight out of their wet dreams, the only major criticism of her is that she was wasted in this role. Idk why y'all insist on pinning this on a woman who ended up having a supporting role and not on the man who wrote and directed the movie. 

Regardless, she only chooses to take roles every couple years anyways. We can circle back when she actually has a panned movie because of her performance, and not because of the men who wrote and directed the movie. I just hope she learns from this and is more choose-y with her next script and works with a director who isn't scared to use her. 

I don't really have an opinion on this movie nor Gaga as an actor, but why the random Daily Beast swipe :rip: It's a reputable outlet

1 minute ago, ShouldersSideways said:

I don't really have an opinion on this movie nor Gaga as an actor, but why the random Daily Beast swipe :rip: It's a reputable outlet

Is it? I might be getting it confused with something else then :rip:I thought it was like a daily mail-esque outlet

She could use a nomination for best supporting actress, but I don't think she's going to get it.

She'll have to do a small movie after this and rebuild.

Name a successful A-list actor who has never had a flop movie. Quickly.

People don't take her seriously as an actress, mostly because she started out as a singer . She needs to drop one between singing/acting and just focus on that .

Trust me. Her next movie will even pay her more than Jfad :lmao:

Her acting has improved with each project and she has great presence on camera just like she has on stage. Imagine thinking the movie would have been better without her in it. She's in it for 30 minutes and she did a lot with the material she was given. 

Edited by SharGaga

Will Gaga recover from this acclaimed performance? Gee I wonder!

The COPING in this thread, liddos truly do live in their own deluded little world.

She faces ageism, sexism and is now widely known as box office poison by the industry suits with one of the biggest flops of all time under her belt. It's over for her acting career, hang it up.

• Thumbs Down 1

The COPING in this thread.

She faces ageism, sexism and is now widely known as box office poison by the industry suits. It's over for her acting career, hang it up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.