Why wasn't Madonna able to get a smash hit 34 years into her career like Cher did?

Pikachoo

3 hours ago, FrederickGa said:

Madonna is a JOKE nowadays.. for the past decade btw

For the past TWO decades practically.

20th anniversary of COTD is coming up.

• Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrederickGa

• Charmed Life

• dabunique

• Chris

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, FrederickGa said:

And currently? Who among Madonna and Cher are more referenced?

s:wan:

Madonna, hon. :foxaylove2:

• Like 2

Just now, l3disko said:

For the past TWO decades practically.

20th anniversary of COTD is coming up.

15years maybe.. Hung Up and 4 Minutes were cute :gaycat1:

I think it happened after B*tch I'm Madonna followed by IG Mess

4 minutes ago, FrederickGa said:

And currently? Who among Madonna and Cher are more referenced?

still Madonna 

Cher's gay ally image took a huge hit when she couldn't accept her son's lesbianism in da late 80's 

she eventually accepted Chaz 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, dabunique said:

still Madonna 

Cher's gay ally image took a huge hit when she couldn't accept her son's lesbianism in da late 80's 

she eventually accepted Chaz 

if anything that makes her a bigger ally since Cher had experience with it first hand. it was her own daughter who was gay,and eventually trans. And she talked about her struggles in accepting it but still coming out on the side of love.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pikachoo said:

if anything that makes her a bigger ally since Cher had experience with it first hand. it was her own daughter who was gay,and eventually trans. And she talked about her struggles in accepting it but still coming out on the side of love.

no it makes her a flawed ally

trust she wasn't running night raids to get medicine to AIDS victims or jus recognizing da victims' humanity in da 80's

making sure da youth was informed about safe sex or razing money for AMFAR with Elizabeth Taylor

no other musicians has done more for da gay community as an ally than Madonna 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Madonna is a Zionism , out of touch, with boring music since Hardy Candy. madame X is a joke of an album. Maybe if she could find her artistry again ? 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

4 hours ago, FrederickGa said:

Laughable coming from you with fave as the WORST ACTRESS OF THE CENTURY :bibliahh:

It's also 2024, 16th year of Gaga's career and she's no.1 in both Music & Film Globally :gaycat1:

Fkn delusional :ahh: you can thank Bruno for that hit. When it comes to solo music, isn't her new album predicted to debut like at #17 on the Billboard 200 :rip: Speaking of being 16 years into careers, Madonna had released Ray of Light which sold 16 million copies worldwide, had two SOLO top five hits on the Billboard Hot 100, and the album broke the highest first week sales record for a female artist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Why are all these liddos attacking Madonna in unison? :bibliahh:

It's not her fault LG's movie and album bombed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

Fkn delusional :ahh: you can thank Bruno for that hit. When it comes to solo music, isn't her new album predicted to debut like at #17 on the Billboard 200 :rip: Speaking of being 16 years into careers, Madonna had released Ray of Light which sold 16 million copies worldwide, had two SOLO top five hits on the Billboard Hot 100, and the album broke the highest first week sales record for a female artist. 

RIP reading comprehension, I wasnt belittling Madonna's 16th year, I was debunking the 5years only success..

But god bless flaunting CD Sales for a project that is now FORGOTTEN

:rip:

Edited by FrederickGa
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

Why are all these liddos attacking Madonna in unison? :bibliahh:

It's not her fault LG's movie and album bombed.

I can only count 2 Liddos in these thread.. i see the Madonna stans are losing their minds over facts that their fave is currently a JOKE

:giraffe:

• Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, FrederickGa said:

I can only count 2 Liddos in these thread.. i see the Madonna stans are losing their minds over facts that their fave is currently a JOKE

:giraffe:

It wasn't just this thread I was referring to, lovey.  and the only ones who are mentally spiralling are fans of a woman whose latest movie received 33% from the critics and 31% from the audience. Suck it up, buttercup. Trashing Madonna ain't going to make the score higher. :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

It wasn't just this thread I was referring to, lovey.  and the only ones who are mentally spiralling are fans of a woman whose latest movie received 33% from the critics and 31% from the audience. Suck it up, buttercup. Trashing Madonna ain't going to make the score higher. :rip:

Trashing JFAD aint also gonna change the fact that Madonna is the WORST Actress of the Last Century hun

So back to discussing why Madonna wasnt able to score a smash 34years to her career? Answer: because she's a JOKE nowadays

Edited by FrederickGa
  • Thumbs Down 2

Well Madonna had Popular in the last year which is approaching 1 billion streams and that's 40 years in. Also, Cher's music success was extremely sporadic and she had to rely on many other things to keep up her profile, including movies, Vegas and celebrity endorsements which is not unlike the fave of someone badly attempting to troll Madonna here.

Madonna's consistent success and influence is galaxies away from Cher who, predictably, didn't have any more huge hits after the fluke that was Believe.

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Charmed Life said:

:rip:As much as I like them, Cher and Kylie have done nothing but constantly churn out dance music in an effort to recapture what they made 25+ years ago.

Madonna was never pigeonholed in the same way because she never allowed her fans to dictate what she should/shouldn't do. If she did she would've been stuck in a rut re-making True Blue and Like a Prayer over and over again. and please explain to us when Nutcracker samples and Batuque music were trendy.

Meanwhile, grammy award winning producers, Pat Leonard and William Orbit would have a thing to say about you claiming Madonna doesn't bring anything of value to the table during the recording process. They (like lots of producers) have all said the same thing, so why should we listen to someone on a music forum that doesn't have a fraction of their knowledge and experience, especially someone with an axe to grind?

If no one cares about Madonna, they don't care about Cher or Kylie either considering Madonna is far bigger than the pair of them.

Didn't she use the same producers all over again albums after albums, Mirwais on Madame X, William Orbit ? Please girl 

Edited by Monsieurgedeon
  • Thumbs Down 2

11 minutes ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

Didn't see use the same producers all over again albums after albums, Mirwais on Madame X, William Orbit ? Please girl 

Gurl, how does her songs with Patrick on Like a Prayer sound anything like those on ROL?

American Life and Music does not sound like Madame X either, and if you say William's production on MDNA is similar to Ray of Light, you're deluded asf.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

Gurl, since when does Like a Prayer sound like anything on ROL?

American Life and Music sounds different to Madame X, and if you say MDNA is similar to Ray of Light, you're deluded asf.

Of course not, all second attempts are just plain bad. Didn't we see her with Stuart Price recently? 

i would just not be so cocky if my fave had released Hard Candy, MDMA, Rebel heart and Madame X back to back. 

Edited by Monsieurgedeon
  • Thumbs Down 2

Just now, Monsieurgedeon said:

Of course not, all second attempts are the bad. Didn't we see her with Stuart Price recently? 

You obviously don't have a clue about Madonna or any of her producers.

Like a Prayer wasn't the first time she worked with Patrick Leonard, the first time was on True Blue, yet according to you Like a Prayer (his second time, on her most critically acclaimed song and album) was "bad". :rip: Go back to sleep.

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

You obviously don't have a clue about Madonna or any of her producers.

Like a Prayer wasn't the first time she worked with Patrick Leonard, the first time was on True Blue, yet according to you Like a Prayer (his second time, on her most critically acclaimed song and album) was "bad". :rip: Go back to sleep.

Being condescending won't change anything to the state of her career dear. Did I talk about Patrick Leonard? Go back to party city where you belong. 

and yeah I'm not 55 so obviously not the biggest fan but I liked the girl, I listened to Spanish lessons when I was in high school I even danced on it at a recital 😌

Edited by Monsieurgedeon
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

and yeah I'm not 55 so obviously not the biggest fan but I liked the girl, I listened to Spanish lessons when I was in high school I even danced on it at a recital 😌

Is this supposed to be a diss towards Madonna fans? I turned 21 two days ago and am a massive fan. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

Being condescending won't change anything to the state of her career dear. Did I talk about Patrick Leonard? Go back to party city where you belong.

Let's look at the facts:

Madonna has:

-400m records under her belt (more than any other female artist in history)

-Biopic on the way

-Currently recording her 15th album

-Has just completed her 12th tour (the final date had 1.6m in attendance)

So please elaborate on what you mean about "the state of her career".

Btw, Digging up stale quotes by some sour faced, talentless hag from over a decade ago is embarrassing in 2024. 

For what it's worth, It wasn't my intention to sound condescending, but if you say stupid things, then don't be surprised when you're corrected.

Edited by Charmed Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because in 1998 it was still possible for an older woman to have hits, when Madonna hit the same age as Cher at the time, things had become way more ageist and impossible for that to happen. In 1998 there was still a bigger and more relevant music market for adults. By the beginning of the new millennium, teens and youngsters oriented music took over almost completely. This is something that started in the 60s in many aspects of the culture and eventually grew to what is going on nowadays in music.

• Like 2

Making this thread, what, a day after her brother died was certainly a choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.