Albums with High first week sales that didn't debut at #1?

Bey_Rihstan

What album blocked it and what factors contributed? 

Some examples:

50 Cent - Curtis - 691k (Blocked by Kanye West, Graduation 957k) (The 2 engaged in a highly publicized battle for #1) 

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion I - 685k (Blocked by Guns n Roses, Uses Your Illusion II, 701k :rip:) (They released 2 albums at once)

Jamie Foxx - Unpredictable - 597k (Blocked by Mary J. Blige, The Breakthrough, 729k)

Dr. Dre - 2001 - 515k (Blocked by Korn, Issues (575k)

Destiny's Child - Destiny Fulfilled - 497k (Blocked by Eminem, Encore, 711k) (released prematurely, Really debuted at #19 with 1 day of sales (61k)

Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday - 375k (Blocked by Kanye West, MBDTF, 496k) 

Kanye West - The College Dropout - 441k (Blocked By Norah Jones, Feels Like Home, 1M)

Alicia Keys - The Element of Freedom - 417k (Blocked by I Dreamed a Dream, Susan Boyle, 661k (4th week)) 

Kenny Chesney - Just Who I Am - 387k (Blocked by 50's Curtis & Kanye West's graduation, mentioned earlier)

Billie Eilish - Hit Me Hard And Soft - 339k (Blocked by Taylor Swift, TTPD, 378k (5th week)) (Taylor released new variants) 

Mary J Blige - Stronger with Each Tear - 332k (Blocked by I Dreamed a Dream, Susan Boyle, 510k (5th week))

Keyshia Cole - A Different Me - 322k (Blocked by Taylor Swift, Fearless, 330k (6th week)) 

Britney Spears - Blackout - 290,000 (Blocked by The Eagles, Long Road Out of Eden, 711k) (She got outsold regardless but the album that beat her wasn't 'supposed' to go #1 given the fact that it was sold at one retailer, which was prohibited at the time. A last minute agreement between billboard and Nielson Soundscan allowed it :rip: ) 

Keyshia Cole - Just Like You - 281k (Blocked by Rascal Flatts, Still Feels Good, 547k)

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, MAAD City - 242k (Blocked by Taylor Swift, Red, 1.2M)

Who else?

(doesn't have to be a massive week, just an album that likely would've been a surefire #1 during nearly any other week) 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan
  • Like 2

susan boyle doing 600K in her 4th week is insane i forgot how enamoured people were by her for like 2 years.

:clack:

12 minutes ago, Minto said:

susan boyle doing 600K in her 4th week is insane i forgot how enamoured people were by her for like 2 years.

:clack:

ddflkds

It's her spending so many weeks at #1, selling so much and only having 350k monthly listeners on spotify 

• Haha 3

Probably applies to tons of albums released from 1991-2009ish, particularly around the holiday season. Gwen's L.A.M.B. comes to mind which debuted at #7 with 309k :rip:

In more recent memory, Halsey's Manic opened at #2 with 240k in 2020 behind Eminem's surprise release. 

Edited by Reverse Warholian
  • Like 3

those mid-'00s numbers were insane, especially during the holidays :rip:  

Fergie's The Dutchess debuted at #3 with 143k

Edited by Scandalous
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

In more recent memory, Halsey's Manic opened at #2 with 240k in 2020 behind Eminem's surprise release. 

I would have been so incredibly pissed off :jonny4:

Tyler the Creator's Igor (165k) debuted at #1, defeating DJ Khaled's Father of Asahd (136k) prompting this bizarre, bitter rant 

Igor Streams - 3.9B

Father of Asahd Streams - 1.36B

so much for no one playing it :rip: 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

I would have been so incredibly pissed off :jonny4:

She was also poised for #1 once more with IICHLIWP the following year and got pushed to #2 again, this time by Kanye's surprise release :rip: :dies:

• Haha 1

Carrie's "Some Heart" being blocked from the top spot by Madonna's "Confessions..." and by a 35k gap (Carrie debuted with 315k and Madonna with 350k) 

• Like 3

Stripped debuted at #2 with 330k (behind 8 Mile soundtrack). Not Eminem blocking all of my favs! :dancehall:

6 minutes ago, melocarma said:

Carrie's "Some Heart" being blocked from the top spot by Madonna's "Confessions..." and by a 35k gap (Carrie debuted with 315k and Madonna with 350k) 

Adore Confessions, but Miss Carrie baby kinda got the last laugh with that one. At least in North America. I think Some Hearts is almost Diamond. 

Brandy's Full Moon debuted at #2 with 156k sales losing by less than 3,000 copies to the O Brother, Where art thou soundtrack. If it was released a week later, it would have debuted at #1 :rip: 

One Direction debuted at #2 (459k) with their last album after getting block by Bieber's Purpose (649k)

• Like 1

No Doubt's Rock Steady opened at #9 with 254k. 

Gwen's The Sweet Escape was #3 with 243k. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

No Doubt's Rock Steady opened at #9 with 254k. 

Gwen's The Sweet Escape was #3 with 243k. 

not Gwen also having bad luck :rip:  

Ashanti's Concrete rose also debuted at #7 with 254k 

• Like 1

Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love debuted at #2 selling 334k copies. Blocked by Titanic Soundtrack. :rip:

It spent 17 weeks at #2 (of which 16 weeks were blocked by the Titanic Soundtrack)

• Haha 1

Good Girl Gone Bad blocked by the Buy U A Drank chanteur with less than 9k copies between them :dancehall: he deserved it though! I still love that album.

Toni Braxton's 'Secrets' album debuted at #2 with 170k.

Metallica 'Load' album debuted at #1 with 685k.

Ray of Light broke the record for highest first week sales by a woman. It was blocked by the Titanic soundtrack :rip:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Støned said:

Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love debuted at #2 selling 334k copies. Blocked by Titanic Soundtrack. :rip:

It spent 17 weeks at #2 (of which 16 weeks were blocked by the Titanic Soundtrack)

I mean, I guess Celine at the time at least found solace in the fact that she was kinda blocking herself :rip:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Reverse Warholian said:

I mean, I guess Celine at the time at least found solace in the fact that she was kinda blocking herself :rip:

It's insane that one song (MHWGO) is solely responsible for carrying two albums at the top of the album charts at the same time for 17 consecutive weeks. :rip:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

not Gwen also having bad luck :rip:  

Ashanti's Concrete rose also debuted at #7 with 254k 

No Doubt's Return of Saturn also debuted at #2 with 202k. I know Tragic Kingdom eventually hit #1 during its insane run, but to think Gwen's first #1 debut wasn't until This Is What The Truth Feels Like in 2016 :rip:

• Thanks 1

Britney's Greatest Hits opened at #4 in 2004 with 255k. 

Successica $impson's holiday album debuted at #16 a couple years later with 152k. Crazy times :rip:

• Like 1

Madonna - Ray of Light (1998): It had the highest first week sales for a female artist at the time in the United States, but was blocked from #1 due to the mammoth Titanic Soundtrack. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.